Birding / nature / photography ~ Older Asexuals for light walking and hiking nature adventures ~

3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

I saw a group of what I think were fallow deer in the forest yesterday 

How interesting.  You sent me on a google search this morning.  Fallow deer are spotted with webbed antlers and they live 20-25 years.  Mule deer only live 9-11 years.

• Like 5

The ash tree keys were whirling about like miniature propellers all over the garden as I walked up the path in the wind.  My new rose is in full flower, lots of wild cyclamen are out and there are still apples left to pick.  The squirrels have discovered that I am putting peanuts out for the birds again.

• Like 4

You'd all love the RSPB reserves here on the Somerset levels, and the starling murmurations, is it? Never quite know the word. Am not really a birder but am out on long dog walks regularly, never cease to be amazed at the beauty of the levels and the bird life here.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Loolie said:

You'd all love the RSPB reserves here on the Somerset levels, and the starling murmurations, is it? Never quite know the word. Am not really a birder but am out on long dog walks regularly, never cease to be amazed at the beauty of the levels and the bird life here.

I was visiting Somerset each year to stay with my cousins.  Sadly my actual cousin died last year and this year it wasn't possible to stay with his widow because of Covid19.  I love the levels and they were going to buy a farmhouse at Muchelney at one point.  They decided against it because of the regular flooding, but it was a delightful house.  I think the house itself normally escaped the floods, but the surrounding area would be cut off.

• Like 4

Was surprised to see a Small Copper near Ringwood today 

• Like 2

Quite right Skycaptain, Somerset very prone to flooding on the levels, but that serves to enhance much of wild bird life, have seen huge numbers of swans amassing on the floods and plenty of wading birds, often marvel at the herons on my way to work, standing stock still on the droves. Ring Ringwood, blast from the past, grandparents lived around there North Gorley? New Forest territory anyway. Used to think it was picture perfect when I was tiny, hope it still is....

• Like 4

Saw lots of house martins flying over the lake catching insects before their flight across the channel and all the way to Africa.  Nice to see them for probably one of the last times this year.

• Like 4

Went for a little vacation to a lake in BC and saw a bit of fun wildlife. Only have a couple pictures.

50403558917_88d888a68c_z.jpg  50402701753_5dd11d1467_z.jpg

• Like 8

Had sort of a wildlife encounter last night. Somewhere close to my house something must have disturbed a skunk! My basement and my bedroom seemed to take the brunt of it from my perspective, both being on the same corner of the house. Made it less than pleasant trying to sleep last night. :blink: :P 

• Like 5

@Marsa That is a spectacular photo of the dragonfly.  I saw one just like it about ten years ago and I have always remembered the crystal clear wings, huge eyes, and the blue and black totem-pole like design on its body.  I wonder what species it could be?

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Muledeer said:

@Marsa That is a spectacular photo of the dragonfly.  I saw one just like it about ten years ago and I have always remembered the crystal clear wings, huge eyes, and the blue and black totem-pole like design on its body.  I wonder what species it could be?

From a quick Google, my guess would be some kind of Darner, but a lot of them look pretty similar so not really sure how to tell them apart. 

• Like 4

@daveb, that's not a nice present :(

@Marsa, that's very clear water to get that picture 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

that's not a nice present

Fortunately it wasn't too close and it was better by morning. I suspect someone out there had a smelly dog though. :lol: 

• Like 3

More hirundines flying over the lake this morning.  Many are gathering near the south coast ready to migrate and the stormy weather is keeping them here a little longer.

• Like 4
Phantasmal Fingers

I've just seen a Cerny Lezak! 😃

It was sitting on the table infront of me just a minute ago. It's gone now though.

• Like 2

A beautiful 2-point buck was on the side of the road, this morning. At the last minute, of course, he decided to dash across. Thought he'd stay in place. Was able to stop my truck/lorry in time.

I yelled at him to look both ways before crossing, next time.😝

• Like 5

Any time I see deer alongside the road, I cover the brake with my foot.   They are so unpredictable.  I had multiple deer sightings this morning while coming into town.  Last week, I had to come to nearly a complete stop because a fawn was just hanging out in the middle of the road during morning daylight hours.  Sometimes I lay on the horn to get them to move and maybe teach them a lesson.  I'm glad you took corrective and evasive action, @Tja

• Like 3

Deer are our most serious animal hazard on the road, especially as so many rural roads are bordered by hedgerows, so you have no idea that they are there. 

• Like 3

And today the jay was back in the garden, burying acorns in the lawn.  They start stashing acorns from September on apparently.  I find little oak trees all over the garden, but I think some are planted by the squirrels.

• Like 4

I get little squirrel-planted trees everywhere, too, @Mz Tricky, but not oaks. Hazels - hazels all over the show - and at least four walnuts.  

• Like 4

Has anyone heard about this being a mast year for acorns? There's huge numbers around 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

Has anyone heard about this being a mast year for acorns? There's huge numbers around 

No, haven't heard that, but there are lots in the park.  There is plenty of beech mast too.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Are acorns useful or are they just a nuisance?

They don't exist around here.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

mast year

I hadn't encountered the term before. Interesting stuff. :) 

23 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

They are food for a number of animals (squirrels, birds, etc.). And I know at least some native American tribes used them as a food source back in the day, too. For human consumption they have to be processed. You can find dents in boulders in California (and probably other places) where they used to use smaller rocks to grind up shelled acorns prior to further processing.

• Like 6
17 hours ago, daveb said:

I hadn't encountered the term before. Interesting stuff. :) 

They are food for a number of animals (squirrels, birds, etc.). And I know at least some native American tribes used them as a food source back in the day, too. For human consumption they have to be processed. You can find dents in boulders in California (and probably other places) where they used to use smaller rocks to grind up shelled acorns prior to further processing.

Diddn't know that, nor the term ' mast year'. My garden is full of birch seeds from next door's tree. They blow in through the windows too. I think it's been a good year for trees in my bit of the UK.  Future dendrologists will have it easy identifying tree growth for  this year.

• Like 5
17 hours ago, Muledeer said:

They are useful for regenerating oak trees. :P  They do feed squirrels and jays.

In the New Forest pigs are let out to gorge on them as if the ponies eat too many of them it is bad news.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/11/hundreds-of-pigs-released-into-the-new-forest-as-pannage-season-starts-7932445/#:~:text=Hundreds of domestic pigs have begun their annual,the acorns and other nuts that have fallen.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Mz Tricky said:

They are useful for regenerating oak trees.

:lol: 

That's interesting about the pigs and horses, and now that you mention I do recall reading about pigs in medieval times munching up acorns. (not that it was specific to that time period, just that that's the time period I happened to be reading about when I came across that)

• Like 2

The New Forest must not be very large.  I wonder how they avoid the problem of feral pigs year round?  Wild pigs are a nuisance in the American South and Midwest.  They cause a lot of damage.  At least the pigs in the New Forest are fitted with nose rings that keeps them from rooting important plants. And there are only 600 of them turned loose for 60 days.  I wonder how they are all gathered up at the end of Pannage?  Interesting article!

• Like 4