Birding / nature / photography ~ Older Asexuals for light walking and hiking nature adventures ~

A saw a rather large opossum turning into the industrial park this morning. It was standing in the road and sniffing at the air as I drove past. I thought it was a cat at first, until I saw the hairless tail. 

• Like 5
17 hours ago, Tunhope said:

A first here too- three in fact and all at one : a peacock butterfly, a white one and a brimstone. Warming up

Jealous 😋

• Like 2

I went on a field trip with the three 1st grade classes at my school, to Tryon Creek State Park.  We saw about as much wildlife as one could hope for, given that our group was "energetic."  When we first stepped into the forest we heard (but did not see) a loud hammering--most likely a pileated woodpecker, since they are a large, powerful bird.  Later we heard (but did not see) a squirrel scolding us--or sounding the alarm to the rest of the forest that a pack of 6-year-olds was headed their way.  And later we saw (but did not hear) a hairy woodpecker.  It was snacking on the suet in a cage bird feeder, in a relaxed fashion, so we got to watch it for a nice amount of time.  The group leader did a wonderful job of keeping the kids entertained, and had lots of animal skins and skulls for them to look at and study ("Animal Adaptations" is part of 1st grade curriculum).  We had a wonderful day.

img_1398-2.jpg?w=625

Pileated woodpecker (image from the internet)

• Like 10

PS. Our group of about 68 first graders was divided into five groups, each with its own group leader.  One of the other groups saw a barred owl!

• Like 6

@Tunhope, the white butterfly will be either of two. If its the size of a Brimstone, then a female Brimstone, and if much smaller, a female Orange tip 

• Like 4

Thanks @Skycaptain. I havent seen any butterflies since . They all appeared at the start of the sunny afternoon we had a few days ago. The peacock rested on a low wall in the sunshine, the white butterfly just flew around a bit and flew next door and the brimstone did what I've often seen them do i.e. flitted along the line of the boundary ( shrubs, trees and fence) between my garden and next door. They are without doubt my favourite butterfly. Such a pure yellow.

• Like 5

Speaking of pileated woodpeckers, I actually did see and hear one on Friday. It was in flight. 

On the backyard feeding front, I had to change over my suet cylinder to safflower seeds to discourage the gluttonous starlings. Those birds drive me crazy! 

• Like 7

20200317-075952-resized-2.jpg

Awful picture taken through glass, but there is one of the squirrels that raid my garden feeder.  I really don't mind as I love their antics.  They often swing to and fro in the flower basket to eat the peanuts.  Little Dog goes out and chases them off. 

• Like 5

No, I think they are smaller, though I have never seen one in the wild.  That is a grey squirrel, and probably fat from the peanuts it gets.  They move incredibly fast when Little Dog is chasing them.  He is fast but they are faster.

• Like 5

@Muledeer, British grey Squirrels are often quite bushy, because at this time of the year they've got maximum fluff 

• Like 4

I saw a red squirrel chase off a fox squirrel the other day and it made me chuckle. Fox squirrels are twice the size of a red squirrel, but what the reds lack in size they make up for in feistness. 

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

No, I think they are smaller, though I have never seen one in the wild.  That is a grey squirrel, and probably fat from the peanuts it gets.  They move incredibly fast when Little Dog is chasing them.  He is fast but they are faster.

It is one of my dogs' dream to catch a squirrel...but it will never happen. He is 11-1/2 and much slower than he would like to be, poor guy. But he wouldn't know what to do with a squirrel if he ever could catch one, anyway!

3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@Muledeer, British grey Squirrels are often quite bushy, because at this time of the year they've got maximum fluff 

Love that phrase! Very descriptive. We have tons of gray squirrels in my area, Not sure how British ones vary? Will try to Google.

• Like 7

I drove past a little wood today where the woodland floor was a mass of wild primroses.  Absolutely stunning.

Quite like this -( not my photo.)

See the source image

• Like 5

The magnolia tree in my neighbours' garden.  It was planted by the very elderly man who used to live there.

20200320-141538-resized-1.jpg

• Like 9

Whilst cycling I didn't see any butterflies, probably because of the cold wind, but plenty of blackbirds, heard a woodpidgeon, saw a few unidentified ones and a very close up pheasant. 

• Like 5
Diana DeLuna

Spring came early this year. On my walk I pass some nice houses, and this yard in particular charms me. I just want to sit demurely and have a spot of tea there like Mary Poppins, and perhaps later choreograph a little soft-shoe with Dick Van Dyke and some animated dancing penguins.

Mary-Poppins-Tree-4-6-19.jpg 

• Like 8

I was able to sit in the sunshine at the end of the garden today.  It is sheltered and a suntrap.  There were quite a few insects about, including a peacock butterfly, and the little solar fountain was working.

• Like 4

Spotted a Hooded Merganser today. Tried to get better look, but the bugger took off when I got closer :( .

• Like 4

There was a beautiful comma butterfly in the garden today, wings spread, resting on the path.

• Like 4

@Mz Terry, for some reason I find commas remarkably elusive. Mun, dad and sister always see them, but if I see one in three years it's a surprise 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@Mz Terry, for some reason I find commas remarkably elusive. Mun, dad and sister always see them, but if I see one in three years it's a surprise 

I spotted 3 commas just in your brief post. :P 

• Like 6
On 3/27/2020 at 2:48 PM, Marrow said:

Spotted a Hooded Merganser today. 

Aren't they pretty birds?  I see them on the ponds and lakes around Reed College in Portland.  Also at the Rhododendron Garden, which is in the same area.

19 hours ago, daveb said:

I spotted 3 commas just in your brief post. :P 

LOL!!

(Now I have to go google a comma butterfly.  Maybe they aren't in North America?)

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

(Now I have to go google a comma butterfly.  Maybe they aren't in North America?)

I see their scientific name is Polygonia c-album. Fascinating. That c-album part is interesting. I wonder what that means.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, pickles mcgee said:

Aren't they pretty birds?  I see them on the ponds and lakes around Reed College in Portland.  Also at the Rhododendron Garden, which is in the same area.

I like watching them pop up their "hood" during mating rituals. Very entertaining to watch :D

• Like 3

My uncle shared this video with me. This guy set up a game camera by this log for a year and made a compilation video of all the various wildlife it captured. Very cool. Also, this is in my state. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, LVG said:

This guy set up a game camera by this log for a year and made a compilation video of all the various wildlife it captured

That is very cool. Such a variety of critters.

I found this site that compiled a bunch of live cams of wildlife, domestic animals, etc.: https://explore.org/livecams

• Like 2

The wildflowers are blooming in the front garden.  There are celandines, dandelions, violets and daisies.  All beautiful though called weeds by some. They are wonderful pollen sources for bees.

• Like 4