Birding / nature / photography ~ Older Asexuals for light walking and hiking nature adventures ~

The way I remember it is jackrabbits are hares and cottontails are rabbits. Those are the 2 main lagomorphs I am most familiar with in the wild.

• Like 1

I always thought hare=rabbit, so this conversation got me thinking about  our local populations.  We have Showshoe hares and Jack rabbits  

So, @daveb are you saying that jackrabbits really aren't rabbits afterall? 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

I always thought hare=rabbit, so this conversation got me thinking about  our local populations.  We have Snowshoe hares and Jack rabbits  

So, @daveb are you saying that jackrabbits really aren't rabbits afterall? 

That's right. Jackrabbits are not rabbits. :P :lol: Snowshoe hares are hares though. :) 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, daveb said:

That's right. Jackrabbits are not rabbits. :P :lol: Snowshoe hares are hares though. :) 

Poor things, they must be terribly confused.  Who knew there was such a thing as species misogyny? 

• Like 1

India created a whole belief system about them - Hare Krishna 

• Like 6

I did not know the difference between rabbits and hares either.  That is interesting and I learned something : )  There are lots of rabbits here (I assume they are rabbits, but I could be wrong).  And chickadees always make me smile since they are around in the winter.

• Like 4

Given your location, which is mine as well, they would be eastern cottontails you're seeing, and they are indeed rabbits. Chickadees are one of my favorite birds. They're just so darn cute! 

• Like 4

I saw a magpie fly past the window with nesting material in its beak yesterday.  Later on a pair of magpies were having a spat with a jay.  Two house sparrows visited the garden which was lovely, as I very rarely see them visit here.

• Like 4

A few years ago, we seemed to have a drop in sparrow numbers where I live, but last year, there were a lot of them again. I know their song isn't exactly melodious, but they're very welcome to come into my garden any time. 

• Like 4
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Cycling alongside the river today, I noticed a lone stranger among the geese and swans. He seemed to be a goose , but instead of the monochrome feathering of the usual sort, this one had pink feathering on the chest , right to under the wings. Been trying to find a match online, still don't know the name of this one.

The birds seem to be out in force here today. A lot of robins out and about (the larger American kind - I think the British ones are a totally different and smaller bird).

Then I was sitting here in my living room when I suddenly heard this loud sound on my roof, like someone with a power tool. Startled me! :lol: 

Then I realized it must've been a woodpecker. It tried a couple of times, then went quiet. Hopefully it has given up! Don't need a woodpecker making holes in the roof.

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, daveb said:

Then I was sitting here in my living room when I suddenly heard this loud sound on my roof

A little late for Santa...

• Like 5

Just now, a cooper's hawk swooped down into my yard, trying to snag a birdie snack. Luckily they all fled into the bushes in time. 

• Like 4

I'm lucky to live near a couple of grey seal colonies who have just about finished pupping for the year. Spent an hour or so watching one of the late pups.

39893644423_162de0805c_k.jpg

46133664244_6d23a851bb_k.jpg

• Like 13

Norfolk seems a wonderful place for wildlife. 

• Like 2
Guest Jetsun Milarepa
On 1/16/2019 at 8:47 PM, chandrakirti said:

Cycling alongside the river today, I noticed a lone stranger among the geese and swans. He seemed to be a goose , but instead of the monochrome feathering of the usual sort, this one had pink feathering on the chest , right to under the wings. Been trying to find a match online, still don't know the name of this one.

Ffurther to this post,I found that the strange goose is called an Egyptian goose. Very beautiful shading around the eyes and tan/orange/rust colouring.

Had to look it up @chandrakirti. Very pretty. According to my book some escaped birds are established in parts of England.

• Like 3
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Hiking to the top of the Tables in Dunvegan today. There's a story about these odd flat ropes mou rains I used to see from my living room window when I lived on Skye.

Story goes that McLeod of McLeod whose family have inhabited the castle at Dunvegan for over 700 years, was invited to attend a clans gathering in Edinburgh.

He was roundly insulted and looked down upon as one of the poorer clan chieftains and told ' of course you won't have this kind of finery and good food where you come from'.

So he invited everyone to sit at his big table on Skye.

When they arrived he made them hike to the top of the Tables carrying freshly caught produce from field and creel then they sat around large tables looking out onto the loch and its surroundings.

'och I suppose you won't have such fresh food and good views as we have here,down in the city'😀

When I took Little Dog for a walk earlier, the pair of mute swans on the lake were starting to court.  They made the very touching heart shape briefly, which was lovely to see.

See the source image(Not my photo, just there as an illustration.)

• Like 7

Saw my first beaver dam, on a job site

Spoiler

QMuPkff.jpg

Also, a big pond with 2 small islands, full of geese

Spoiler

NrnwsWg.jpg

ox8NKGM.jpg

...and a lovely Blue Heron

Spoiler

RSKnOqx.jpg

• Like 8

What lovely photos @Tja and what great things to see at work.! 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tunhope said:

What lovely photos @Tja and what great things to see at work.! 

Amazing what you find while working at a quarry in the middle of the woods. 😊

• Like 2