Birding / nature / photography ~ Older Asexuals for light walking and hiking nature adventures ~

Skycaptain

@Tunhope, that is very early (not jealous (much)). They travel up from Spain. Same as Clouded Yellows. Red Admirals are a mix, if we have a mild winter some survive and can be seen in February or March, but the migration colonies arrive in June and July 

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

@Tunhope, that is very early (not jealous (much)). They travel up from Spain. 

From Spain? Actually, Skycaptain, Spain isn't my favourite place at the moment. 3:1 and time for Real to score a couple more.

• Like 1
Skycaptain
23 minutes ago, Tunhope said:

From Spain? Actually, Skycaptain, Spain isn't my favourite place at the moment. 3:1 and time for Real to score a couple more.

I know, I've been watching this, even as a Southampton fan, I follow any British team in European leagues 

• Like 2
Skycaptain

On my way into work this morning, three geese were waddling along the road, causing minor havoc 

• Like 4

Peonies are blooming.  The white ones always bloom first.

WjYEafx.jpg

QUESTION:  Does anyone know what kind of bush this is?  It's about 6 feet tall & 4 feet wide - grows straight up on woody stems.  It is flowering now.  Just little white flowers in spring and plain green leaves that turn yellow in fall.  I didn't plant it, so I know it is 20+ years old.

-- after hunting around internet - maybe a Mock Orange???

Njvv2YA.jpg

• Like 3

@LilyG could it be a type of Philadelphus (mock orange) ? There's a variety called coronarius

with four petals as in your picture and yellow centres (stamens ?) Also, there's a variety of Philadelphus Coronarius called Aureus which has yellow leaves. I only got this from my book - I'm no expert. I've a Philadelphus (P. Virginal) that's in bud. I love the scent but some people find it too cloying. (edited later to say I didn't spot the little addition- you think it might be mock orange too)

• Like 4

This morning I saw a small squirrel-like rodent walk in front of me on the driveway. It stopped and looked at me and since it was only a few feet away, I got a good look at it. It had a flat tail and an upside down white "V" marking on its side, and was much smaller than our local (New England) gray squirrels. I Googled, and it matches a flying squirrel...though they are supposed to be nocturnal. It didn't appear sick, but who knows.

• Like 7

I had a couple of small wild mammal encounters this evening:  The rockchuck (marmot) was chirping and throwing his voice around.  I didn't know they could do that.  It was sitting on a stack of shingles outside of the shed.  This one was about the size of a large cat.  He just sat there chirping, watching me water the garden.   The dog ignored him.    

I watched a chipmunk sitting on top of a rock while devouring a dandelion seed head.  He was very efficient and using his fore paws just like hands to hold the food while he ate it, just like we would eat a cob of corn, but at chipmunk speed.    He would spit out the green husk and "cotton" and just eat the immature seeds.  He maintained eye contact with me the whole time. 

• Like 4

At my last job today, I managed to see three different species of woodpecker, a white-breasted nuthatch, cardinals, American robins, common grackles, chickadees, and a goldfinch. 

• Like 4

I've had a doe wandering around my yard every day for the past few weeks.  Monday she brought her baby along with her!  ❤️

On Tuesday, two young male deer were running in circles around my house like it was a racetrack LOL  I did get a few pictures (none were very good :( )

TndY3r7.jpg

• Like 8

Looks like the one on the right just tripped over that hanger thingie. :lol: 

• Like 3

20180530_075030.jpg

Here is my resident rock chuck (aka  yellow bellied marmot).  I took this with my phone yesterday.  He looks ferocious, doesn't he?  He let out a loud "chirp" at the moment I snapped the photo.  I met his partner yesterday as well.  She (or he - they could be siblings for all I know) was slightly smaller.  They probably have nest inside the shed or under those shingles.    They just hang out all day around my shed and chirp at me and the dog.  Only the fellow in the photo has been seen chirping so maybe it is a male trait?

It was a fabulous spring afternoon:

20180530_144755.jpg

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Muledeer said:

(aka  yellow bellied marmot).

What in tar-nation?! Is this the origin of "yellow-bellied varmint", that some Galoot came up with? 😄

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Tja said:

What in tar-nation! Is this the origin of "yellow-bellied varmint", that some Galoot came up with? 😄

It could be.  I was googling images last night and there were a lot of dead marmot trophies posted.  I learned they are not protected nor threatened in most places.  I grew up with these creatures, and my dad always respected them.  One time he got really upset when the dog killed one of them.   They let you know you are being watched by chirping at you.  It is how they warn the colony that a predator is approaching.  I learned from Wiki that these marmots are polygamous and one male has 2-3 breeding partners.

• Like 4

We don't have Marmot here in the UK, so I was pleased to spot one when hiking in the French Alps about 10 years ago. Only one I've ever seen.

I did see a deer on my walk this morning. That's a rare site here. And it bolted when my walking partner's Labrador decided to go and visit it. No chance! It was quite a decent size.

• Like 4
13 hours ago, Muledeer said:

resident rock chuck

Ha, that pic made me think of "how much wood would a woodchuck chuck".

• Like 3
Skycaptain

We don't have Marmot, but we have Marmite 

On a more appropriate for this thread topic, I was waiting for a customer the other day, and had the pleasure of watching a couple of goldfinches sitting on a fuschia 

• Like 5

I ❤️ Goldfinches - they are so bright and cheery

not a great pic, but I had to zoom...

Image may contain: plant and outdoor

• Like 5
23 hours ago, Muledeer said:

Only the fellow in the photo has been seen chirping so maybe it is a male trait?

Well, according to Daniel Blumstein, professor at UCLA and head of the Marmot Project of the Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory, who has been studying marmots, including yellow-bellied marmots, for years, adult males don't call. Females are the ones who call usually because there are younger marmots or other group members around, and juvenile males will call as well. If you fancy wading your way through some academic speak, here's the paper.

https://www.eeb.ucla.edu/Faculty/Blumstein/pdf reprints/Blumstein&Armitage1998_AB.pdf

Daniel's a good bloke. When he was out in Australia, he was co-author on one of my scientific papers. He wrote nothing, but having his name on the paper increased my chances of getting published.

• Like 6

Saw my two male deer again today -- was so pleased that I had my camera & thought I got some good shots.  Well, idiot moment....the SD card wasn't in the camera LOL

There's always tomorrow I guess 😕  

Around 8pm a little raccoon showed up - no mom, no siblings...all alone.  So small, I felt bad, so got some extra grapes & cheese from the fridge. 

(yes, I know, I know...I'm not supposed to feed them!!) 

• Like 4
22 hours ago, Kazbe said:

Well, according to Daniel Blumstein, professor at UCLA and head of the Marmot Project of the Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory, who has been studying marmots, including yellow-bellied marmots, for years, adult males don't call. Females are the ones who call usually because there are younger marmots or other group members around, and juvenile males will call as well. If you fancy wading your way through some academic speak, here's the paper.

https://www.eeb.ucla.edu/Faculty/Blumstein/pdf reprints/Blumstein&Armitage1998_AB.pdf

Daniel's a good bloke. When he was out in Australia, he was co-author on one of my scientific papers. He wrote nothing, but having his name on the paper increased my chances of getting published.

That was an interesting article!  Today I observed that the "partner" was actually much smaller and probably a pup.  this article helps explain why a pup would be hanging out with the adult - who is actually a female, not a male as I had speculated.  These animals will let you get within about five meters before they scurry into their burrows

• Like 6

I'm seeing damsel flies in the garden including the Beautiful Demoiselle.

• Like 4
Skycaptain

Well, that's the first time I've had to slow suddenly because of a peahen strolling across a country lane 

• Like 5
Elftober Country

Just found an injured bird outside my house. I don’t think the poor guy is gonna make it through the day 😢

Do you think it was hit by traffic, or caught by something? On a much happier note, two little dunnocks in my garden today with what might be their parents. There were dunnock feathers a couple of weeks ago, but I know that dunnocks are often polyamorous so maybe today's two adults were the surviving couple. Have had a family of new great tits too, and one of long tailed tits but not today. Sadly, no more painted ladies. I think that last week's storms must have seen off any that were trying any early migration. It's been bad in Spain too which is where Skycaptain posted they come from.

• Like 4

Rockchuck update:  I discovered there is a pair of pups hanging out with their chirping mother.  I was working in the area, they scampered into the stacks of shingles, and when I looked in the crevice, there were two pups staring back at me.   Probably yearlings.   Since the dog and I leave them alone, they have become quite friendly.  I rather enjoy their presence, even though they are just rodents.  And the constant chirping lets me know that all is well.  I had some company last weekend, and even my friends noted how the chirps seem to come from all different directions.

• Like 5

Outside my office window last night...

xMESm1V.jpg

• Like 7

Tested Forest Service employees on the prairie, in Illinois

Spoiler

c4LQZJY.jpg

djsUA2Q.jpg

zWA3IMj.jpg

• Like 6