Birding / nature / photography ~ Older Asexuals for light walking and hiking nature adventures ~

7053783899_1524aaff52_b.jpg

Back in the land of the red-winged black bird.

*Not my photo*

• Like 5

@Tja  Love the red-winged blackbird.  I have so many blurry/messed-up pics of them...just trying to catch one in flight w/ the red visible.  LOL

• Like 2

Red Wing Blackbird in my yard (yep...just perched...can never get a good one of them flying)

imnNQOk.jpg

I do have quite a few of Blue Jays flying though :)  

oqVuY3z.jpg

• Like 6

Rufous-Sided Towhee and Black-Capped Chickadee - pic taken 04/01/18

BiaNquf.jpg

• Like 6

Saw my first cute little ducklings of the year.  They were so tiny swimming after their mum, it was hard to count them, but there were maybe 10 or 12 of them.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

Saw my first cute little ducklings of the year.  They were so tiny swimming after their mum, it was hard to count them, but there were maybe 10 or 12 of them.

We saw a whole pile of ducklings trying to all fit onto a little ledge by the water's edge that couldn't hold the whole lot, while in NZ. It was cute. :) 

• Like 4
Skycaptain

Iceland is interesting. The only native trees are birch, very few taller than 8-10m. The lava fields are covered in mosses and lichens. There's a surprising amount of birdlife inland, Redwings, Thrushes etc, and lots of seabirds around the coast. 

• Like 3

I love redwings @Skycaptain and everyone. They are my favourite winter garden birds. They poke around in all the leaf litter and windfalls in my garden (I'm a very untidy gardener) They perch in the branches of the trees but one thing I've noticed is that though each bird is part of a little flock, they like to have their own space. I never see two on the same branch. It's sort of 'I like you - but I don't like you that much!'

• Like 5

@LilyG  I apologise asking for more technical info, but, on another thread, I just tried to copy from Imgur. It's come through as a link (which , if clicked, takes you to my photo on the Imgur site) but I wanted the pic to show up directly like all your lovely ones (and Mz Terry's and everyone's)  Do you know what I need to do? Thank you. 

@Tunhope -- I don't know why it isn't working for you :(   I just right click on the picture & click copy image - then ctrl+v into the box on here ... seems to work.  But if I try the "insert other media" & put the url in, it doesn't work.

Make sure you are using the link that ends in .jpg

Thank you all so much. I have actually managed to post a photo in another thread following your instructions. 

• Like 3

I've only seen this fox a few times since I took this pic ... probably a good thing that he moved on.

oNIb2oi.jpg

Deer looking at the stray cat who is looking at the bird  :D  (try to ignore my wildly overgrown yard)

Stray kitty is now one of my inside cats (she ended up pregnant, so I got her plus 4 babies)

KP2Zub6.jpg

• Like 4
Skycaptain

Saw a small colony of Fulmars beside an Icelandic waterfall 

• Like 4

Spotted a yellow warbler on my way home from shopping. Not my picture, but this is what they look like.

yellow_warbler.jpg

• Like 5

This little bird killed herself this morning when she flow into my window and broke her neck.  She hit it so hard I had to check the glass for cracks.  It killed her instantly - by the time I went outside, she was laying on her back feet up in the air.  Not sure what kind of a bird it was or even if it was a female.

Spoiler

20180514_073320.jpg

It stays with one, doesn't it? Takes some of the pleasure off the day. I've sometimes put cut outs of birds on some of my windows but it doesn't always work and I've had a few different things crash in and leave a feathered outline. Thank you for  using the hidden content option.

• Like 4

Aw, poor birdie. :( 

I found a dead goldfinch back in March that suffered the same fate. I actually buried the little guy beneath a tree on the property. 

On a happier note, we had an uncommon visitor to the feeders yesterday: a male, rose-breasted grosbeak. I only remember seeing one once many years ago. 

9624_Rose-breasted_Grosbeak_05-11-2012_3

• Like 6

In Wisconsin; Dozens of Swallows have built nests on the hotel at which I'm staying.

I saw a red-tailed hawk land on a tree branch as I was driving from a jobsite.

The Aspen (my 2nd favorite tree, after the Pine) have donned the most vividly brilliant green leaves.

• Like 5

I had a fantastic view of a male sparrowhawk flying up the passageway to the park.  He then perched up in a tree.  I can only assume he had been disturbed while hunting for prey in one of the neighbouring gardens.

• Like 6

A lot of people on this thread like hawks, don't they? I don't know if there's any significance in that! I love them. To me, they are top of their game - perfection on wings. 

• Like 5
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:14 PM, Tja said:

Aspen (my 2nd favorite tree, after the Pine) have donned the most vividly brilliant green leaves.

Come visit Wyoming, @Tja!   In the mountains where I live, aspen, pine and sagebrush dominate the landscape.

Our Apsen are just breaking leaf this weekend, right on schedule.  They display a remarkable "spring green" color only for a few days.  Sometimes, the tree and shrub colors of the spring rival the fall foliage for brilliance and diversity - especially the willows that have colors of yellow, purple, and orange before leafing out.

• Like 5

This WAS my favorite tree - a beautiful giant oak!!  It fell 2 years ago :( Still sad about it. 

Even after it was down, some of the branches sticking up were taller than surrounding trees.

Shocked it didn't hit my house, spring-house or garage.  It fell right in between. 

g0Rcwjq.jpg

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Muledeer said:

Come visit Wyoming, @Tja!

It's on my list!

I went hiking yesterday. Totally in my happy place. 😊

Racoon_State_Park.jpg

• Like 7

Bunny in my yard  (my daughter took this pic)

qYKclVj.jpg

Caterpillar on the Lily leaves:

RkXv4R9.jpg

• Like 4

Had my first Painted Lady of the year in the garden this afternoon. I took a photo but as you'd need a massive telescope to see anything I won't put the photo up. I'd love to know how far it travelled. Hundreds of miles probably - to my garden!

• Like 3