Birding / nature / photography ~ Older Asexuals for light walking and hiking nature adventures ~

I really ought to take a picture of our sour cherry before all the blooms disappear. It looks and smells amazing this year! 

• Like 3

I have to Google so many of the animals and birds on this thread as we don't have them in the UK ( not wild anyway) I now know that a mule deer has large ears - which begs a question @Muledeer.........

• Like 7
Skycaptain

Which reminds me of something I didn't see yesterday. Not a single bunny out and about, normally there are lots of them at Trosley. 

• Like 3

This hawk showed up back in 2016 ... only got 2 semi-good shots of it  (the one flying isn't very good...).  I think they are beautiful and I get SO excited when one comes around -- but hate that they are probably only here to hunt my little birds at my feeders :( 

FSsygjp.jpg

PudGi5k.jpg

• Like 4

That's the one downside to having feeders. They will attract coopers hawks. And squirrels. I had to chase one away this morning three times. Luckily, it only shows up once and a while. 

• Like 4

I was out driving this morning and I saw a squirrel use a pedestrian crossing (probably just coincidence). It's a street crossing that connects a greenspace trail on either side of the street. Later I saw another squirrel in the street, just sitting there as I drove up. Fortunately it ran back off the street as I approached.

• Like 3

@LVG  You being from PA, we probably have a lot of the same little critters running around.  :)  I don't mind the small animals - fox, raccoon, opossum, etc.  Don't like bears here at all anymore though.  I rarely see hawks so it's kind of amazing when they do show up.  Weird thing is ... I hardly ever see any squirrels.  I'm surrounded by woods so you'd think they would be everywhere.  But they only show up maybe two or three times in a year.  But chipmunks...omg...I'm over-run with freakin chipmunks  LOL   Those little acrobats can clean out a feeder so fast!

• Like 3
Myssterry

My little dog amongst the bluebells which are still in full flower here.

20180507_110815_resized.jpg

Been pleased to see house sparrows in the garden quite regularly for a few days.

• Like 6

@Mz Terry is your little dog a Shelty? (not sure of the spelling)? And everybody whose photos are on the site, they are smashing.

• Like 5
20 hours ago, LilyG said:

@LVG  You being from PA, we probably have a lot of the same little critters running around.  :)  I don't mind the small animals - fox, raccoon, opossum, etc.  Don't like bears here at all anymore though.  I rarely see hawks so it's kind of amazing when they do show up.  Weird thing is ... I hardly ever see any squirrels.  I'm surrounded by woods so you'd think they would be everywhere.  But they only show up maybe two or three times in a year.  But chipmunks...omg...I'm over-run with freakin chipmunks  LOL   Those little acrobats can clean out a feeder so fast!

We have tons of squirrels and chipmunks around here. Also hawks a plenty, especially red-tails. Thankfully, no bears in the city.

So, I finally got a couple of pictures of our sour cherry. 

cherrywideshot.jpg  cherrycloseup.jpg

I wish you all could smell them. 

• Like 7

The apple blossoms opened today. Even if there were no apples I think that I would grow them just for the flowers. I don't know how to post pictures.

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, froglady said:

I don't know how to post pictures.

You have to get a url link to pictures. That means if you want to post your own pics you have to upload them to some online site that allows you to get a link that can be posted here. Some of the photo-hosting sites have changed their policies and/or software, so it's harder to find ones that allow users to grab a link and post it here. Once you find the right site and get a link you can usually just paste the link into a post and it will automatically show the picture. I do wish it were easier/more straightforward though! I have found that sometimes people can view my photos and sometimes they can't, but haven't figured out why or what the trick is. :( 

• Like 4

Thanks for the information about pictures. I had no idea how to do it.

• Like 1

@froglady    I just copy/pasted the pic itself -- seemed to work ok.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LilyG said:

@froglady    I just copy/pasted the pic itself -- seemed to work ok.

Copy/paste from where? You must have it hosted online somewhere, right?

• Like 1

@daveb  yes, online - but just copy/paste, didn't use url/link.  I couldn't get the url to work.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, LilyG said:

@daveb  yes, online - but just copy/paste, didn't use url/link.  I couldn't get the url to work.

Which site?

I've tried from a couple of sites (my old picasa albums, and my newer google photos albums) and can't get them to work. Can't get urls for the former anymore and the ones I get from google photos don't always seem to work. Nor does copy/paste. I want to find a reliable site and method so I can post vacation pics. :) 

• Like 1

Imgur.com   -- just copy/pasted this from that site. 

I love the sunrise!  :) 

l2uwpny.jpg

• Like 6

and facebook pics work too, btw

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, LilyG said:

and facebook pics work too, btw

I don't do fb :P 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, LilyG said:

Imgur.com   -- just copy/pasted this from that site. 

I love the sunrise!  :) 

l2uwpny.jpg

That's the site I use, too.

Nice sunset!

• Like 3

Golden gardens everywhere (laburnums in flower.) And the first swift (SE England) Bird (and animal and butterfly) migrations leave me amazed. Swifts and swallows especially. Love the info about pictures ( and always really appreciate the photos). Still haven't figured it out though.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Tunhope said:

Still haven't figured it out though.

Apparently I haven't either. :(

Imgur won't let me sign up - I get a 403 error. Google photos doesn't seem to have a straightforward way to get a link and even when I get one it doesn't always show the pic for everyone.

• Like 1

I don't even know what Imgur is so you're way ahead of me there@daveb

• Like 2

I havent figured it out either.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Tunhope said:

I don't even know what Imgur is so you're way ahead of me there@daveb

It's a photo-hosting website that several people on AVEN have mentioned they use to post their pics here. :) 

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, daveb said:

It's a photo-hosting website that several people on AVEN have mentioned they use to post their pics here. :) 

you have to open a (free) account. At www.imgur.com  Its name is a bastardisation of "your image"

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

you have to open a (free) account. At www.imgur.com  Its name is a bastardisation of "your image"

It won't let me. I get a 403 error.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure our vitex is dead. They're not really a zone 5 plant, but it thrived the last two years. I guess this year's winter was just too harsh. I'll miss that plant. It had such interesting leaves and flowers. :( 

On the bright side, our newly planted winterthur viburnums are getting flowers. :) 

• Like 1