Glasses!!

Xenoglyph

Do you wear glasses?  

1. 1.

• no.
    • I don't need them, but I wear them cause they look good.
    • Only if I need to read or something.
    • I wear contact lenses.
    • Yes, I only take them off when showering or sleeping.
    • I had laser eye sergery!

This poll is closed to new votes

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to say that I have pretty good genes from my parents where eyesight is concerned. I don't have to wear glasses, although I do think they look awesome on people! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm quite literally legally blind--not only can't see the top row of the chart, but often can't tell where the chart is.

I'm at around -9.00 diopters. I usually wear contacts. Part of that is, I hated my glasses. They were like 10 years old, and ugly. (At the time I bought them, money was tight so I went with the least expensive options I could find.) And thick.

A couple of weeks ago I got my eyes checked, got a fresh prescription, and got new glasses. Spent time finding a nice frame. Spent the extra money for high-index lenses. I've even worn them to work once or twice, and people like them. And people who have seen the old ones think the new ones are a substantial improvement. Here, judge for yourself. :D

glasses1up.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
JokeyFairbobbin

I'm another one of those "can't read the big E" people. I rely on my glasses for everything, just feel wrong without 'em. I have contacts, even had colored ones for a short while, but mostly I'm too lazy to bother with them.

I have been wearing eyeglasses since 1st grade. I have never worn contacts, as I am afraid of touching my eyes. I would love to have laser surgery, but prolly will never be able to afford it.

Nightengale

I wear glasses only when NOT reading. . . although I wear bifocals now so I can read day-to-day things with them still on. I take them off to curl-up-in-bed read, still.

I have been wearing eyeglasses since 1st grade. I have never worn contacts, as I am afraid of touching my eyes. I would love to have laser surgery, but prolly will never be able to afford it.

It took me less than an hour to get over the "touching my eyes" thing. It's actually not that hard to overcome... and being able to wear contacts makes it worth it, IMO. As for laser surgery... the more nearsighted someone is, the less likely laser surgery will work. I've been told that at my prescription level, I have something like a 1-in-3 chance that the laser surgery will have the desired results. I'm not too crazy over those odds...

I am fortunate enough to have eyes that can focus on things unaided.

• 2 weeks later...

If you squint at the picture to the left (and if you are wearing your own glasses), you can see that I do, in fact, wear glasses.

For those of you who wear contacts, how do you put them in and take them out without accidentally poking your eyes?

• 6 months later...

None of the poll options fit me. I have to take them off to read, but I use them to drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably legally blind without glasses :cry: Wear them all the time. Wore contacts for about a year, even though they fogged up on me after maybe a month. Hated those things.

I treasure what little eyesight I have and could never undergo corrective/laser surgery. The risks are too much (or maybe I'm still stuck in the past when they first made it available 10 or so years ago and the procedure had a higher chance of failure and complications? My mom had it done back then and insists I should too in the future). I would rather have piss poor vision than possibly none at all.

• 4 weeks later...

I assumed you were referring to the clear kind of glasses. I wear sunglasses now almost all the time. I do wear contact lenses, but they're for cosmetic purposes only.

I wear pointy glasses and love them (and NEED them).

In my left eye it's -6 and my right eye is -5.5, and I just went back and developed pretty strong astigmatism in the length of a year. :shock: Which isn't good news, considering.

But yes, I can juuust barely make out the big "E" when squinting with my glasses off.

My dad had Lasik and swears by it, though he's now developing cataracts, so he has to do... something... about that. I have no clue what, though.

• 4 weeks later...
violeteyedsoul

Sadly my glasses are my eyeballs.

If I take them off I'm worse than a blind bat.

lol!

*SIGH!*

And I CAN'T wear contacts because of my Dry Eye Genetic problem.

*Double BIG S I G H!!*

To Neurovore: Solid contacts Out I pull the corner of my eyelid, close the eye, prepare to catch the lens with my other hand and have also hopefully prepared a area where I have a chance to find (a Maglite or 300W hallogenic lamps for construction sites are damn handy) it, if I failed. Closing the outlet of a wash basin is somehow more convenient than plumbering the tube off which is still more convenient than earning roughly $100 for a new lens...

In: Saline solution on lens placed on index finger of the eye's side middle finger pulls lower, other index finger upper lid out of the way.

I'm male blue collar worker. I have no 3 9inch claws of fingernails, so I fear no injuries from eye poking. I just wash my hands once in a while to get all the solvents old grease etc. off, which I wouldn#t like to have direct in my eye.

Forgot to mention: Becoming able to surpress my lid reflexes took a while. I believe I practiced touching my eyes for a forthnight whenever I was at the bathroom.

I don't need to wear them, but I probably will at some point, it runs in my family. And, even if I don't end up needing them, I'll probably wear them or sunglasses anyways a lot of the time, since I like the way they look. (I also like the spanish word for them, anteojos or anteojos de sol)

violeteyedsoul

By the way to everyone who WEARS contacts, glasses and uses ReNu solution.

Has anyone heard of the lawsuit that's being put together about them?

I saw an ad LATE last night on T.V. for it; and it looks like the stuff has caused Blindness and Cataracts!

I have to wear mine all the time - they go on my nose before I get out of bed, and they only come off once I'm in bed. And if I knock them on the floor, I have to hunt for them!

I can't drive because my eyesight is so crap, but the weird thing is I can draw really fine details? I have two pairs of glasses - this reading pair for computer work / drawing and one distance pair. I don't use any glasses for reading - I just hold the book a nanometre from my nose and read!

Years ago I tried contact lenses, but I scratched my cornea and the Hospital were worried I would damage myself. But I have to admit that using a little sucker to get them out made a Hell of a party trick!!

I alternate between glasses and contacts; glasses for at home, or when my eyes are too sore from staring at a computer screen all night, or from lack of sleep.

I'd prefer contacts all the time, if my eyes weren't so sensitive. My glasses generally make me look more dorky than I already am, and they're always slipping down my nose, or sitting crooked on my face. Alas, I am completely blind without them. *sighs*

I used to take my glasses off when I was at home(except while watching tv), and I was losing them constantly :lol: But my eyes got a little worse so now I just keep them on.

November Rain

I mostly tend to wear mine when I'm using the computer, and according to my optician I need to start wearing them when I take driving lessons in the new year, other than that I usually don't bother with them unless I want to look sophisticated. ;)

• 2 years later...

Got pretty bad vision. And...I take them off when I sleep but I do shower with my glasses on...

Add another to "removes them for reading and computer, but wears them otherwise." Yay for near-sightedness.

Me, too. Especially as I get older I can see fine close up, such as while reading. Except these days if I'm sitting back from the computer I use my glasses.

So I didn't choose any of the responses. None of them quite fit.

Yes, and I really do need to get a new pair. Badly. I've had these for about eight years now. They've served me well, but lately, it's been a struggle to stay in focus without squinting one eye and raising the other brow in an oh-so-sardonic manner.

Archived