Ever wish you were born the opposite sex?

SorryNotSorry

SorryNotSorry

Being male, straight, A but hopelessly romantic, I not only fantasize about being with the woman of my dreams... I fantasize about what it would be like to BE her instead. That would be great... no being covered with hair like an ape, no need to shave my chin every day, and NO MORNING WOOD!!! Just some periods and an uncontrollable urge to eat vegetables. I really think being A helps make it easier to understand what my life would be like as a female, what without the issue of sex standing in the way.

Say what you will about me being misogynistic... but I hope if there's reincarnation, I'll get two X chromosomes next time around.

Being female, straight, A but hopelessly romantic, I not only fantasize about being with the man of my dreams... I fantasize about what it would be like to BE him instead. That would be great...

Ummm, yeah I definitely lack the womanly "urge to eat vegetables" as so described....

and I'm warning you periods are a b*tch. But if ya wanna trade genders, i'd love to anytime.

What's this about an urge to eat vegetables? I almost never eat vegetables, let alone get urges to eat them. Chocolate, maybe. Definitely not green things that grow out of the ground, though.

Lady Heartilly

Yeah I'm not getting the urge to eat vegetables thing either . . .

But I must say, while periods are terribly annoying, I'd much rather be a woman than a man.

Yeah, I've wondered what it would be like to be female a few times. Wouldn't say that I actively wish I were, though - I'm not unhappy with what I've got.

Heh, there are pros and cons to both sexes.

The pros of being female (to me): Being able to play the "weak girl" card if you want :D, living (a little) longer, no erections when standing up in front of the class, chivalry--guys open doors for you and help you with stuff :), no awkward wet dream situations, being able to cover skin flaws with make-up, and being more free to live how you want without judgment or fear of being beaten up. That last one is a big one to me. You can wear jeans or a dress. If you're lesbian, probably no one will beat you to death. You can be physically affectionate without anyone thinking you're weird and going after you. I mean, basically, what it is to be a woman in society isn't the same as what it is to be a man.

The cons of being female (to me): Periods. The risk of unwanted pregnancies (unlike men, women can't just leave town to escape it). Being physically weaker (usually). Being more easily raped or assaulted and having to be afraid walking down a dark alley or being left alone with a guy. Did I mention periods? :D Shaving (yes, you avoid facial shaving, but you have to do your whole legs instead!). The pain and stress of trying to be attractive. Being counted out in old age because men "age well" and women "don't." Being discriminated against. Bra straps or wires. Insane hormones causing problems. Periods again.

I do sort of wish I were a man (mentally not physically). Ultimately, I think I'm well-placed on the gender spectrum (neither one nor the other), but ...

Where is this vegetable thing coming from? Have I wondered what it's like to be female? Oh, sure. I do oftentimes feel closer to females than males, and sometimes I almost wish I was female. But, for the most part, I'm okay with being male. It has its own benefits.

For me, it's not for a week every month, even though the event is that long. It's only those first couple days when I really think about being male. :)

Guys have no idea how lucky they are not to have to deal with that. Seriously. It's not merely the bathroom visits themselves, it's the worrying. Like, no matter how "prepared" you are, it won't be enough. That it'll freak on you or something. And while guys can have those awkward little wet spots if they get too excited, those are easier to clean up. :-p

Just some periods and an uncontrollable urge to eat vegetables.

Spoken like a bonafide mis-informed know-it-all. When's the last time body hair and morning wood had you double over in pain and crawling?

Yeah, I always think it would be very beneficial for men to be in a woman's body for that one "special, magical" week a month. Being prevented from swimming (if you use pads), leaking, pain, GI problems, popping Tylenol like they're Pez, being caught unprepared...It's always fun to be in an environment where it's hard to get to the bathroom when that special moment arrives.

A morning wood goes down soon enough. Some of the other types of wood can be prevented by thinking clean thoughts. Body hair isn't even visible most of the time. But with periods, you have no control over when it happens or how bad it is. You can't "hold it" like you can with other bathroom functions.

Eew gender. Either end of the spectrum is uncomfortable with me, along with the slew of stereotypes that go with it. I'd like to shapeshift into whatever form I wanted on whim, that would be nice. You think you have it bad, try being a true hermaphrodite and dealing with all of the above troubles at once. I knew someone like that in highschool, a very brave person.

In the past I've often thought I would have had a much easier life if I'd been an attractive girl instead. In the end I realised that I would have the exact same level of problems , just different ones, so it would balance out.

Incidentally, I don't know too much about periods, as it's thankfully a relatively taboo subject in polite society, but I was under the impression that a woman only had to take the pill and the problem went away. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Vicious Trollop

I don't think I've ever wanted to be male. Excepting perhaps my Remus/Sirius phase. ;)

Seriously, the thought of looking like anyone but myself is deeply disturbing to me. I'm too self-obsessed to desire a change that radical. Sure there are people I would want to be more like... but off the top of my head they are all female.

I'm a girl-loving girl. No misandrist, but utterly gynocentric. That's me. *shrug*

Vicious Trollop
Incidentally, I don't know too much about periods, as it's thankfully a relatively taboo subject in polite society, but I was under the impression that a woman only had to take the pill and the problem went away. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The pill usually makes your period more regular, lighter, and less painful, but you still have to deal with it. When I went off the pill, my periods were worse than ever (though I'm lucky, they've never been really terrible). The pill is a blessing in some ways, but it really messes with your body.

I annoy myself when I use 'you' in that sense, and it's particularly inappropriate here, but I'm too lazy to edit that. You understand. ;)

Either end of the spectrum is uncomfortable with me, along with the slew of stereotypes that go with it. I'd like to shapeshift into whatever form I wanted on whim, that would be nice.

I'd go with that, Silverkey! I feel androgynous, and would really prefer to be more physically androgynous looking.

However if I had to make a choice, next time I'm definitely going to tick the box to be male; sure there'll be problems and drawbacks, but at least they'll be different problems...

If i'm personally honest, i'd rather be niether.

The idea of being gender neutral sits far more comfortably with me but some people do find that they wouild be happier if they were a different gender. Meh i suppose ultimatley anything like this is just down to choice. :roll:

The pros of being female (to me): Being able to play the "weak girl" card if you want :D, living (a little) longer, no erections when standing up in front of the class, chivalry--guys open doors for you and help you with stuff :),

I open doors for and help everyone... As for the preceding part, I've never had a problem with anything like that.

no awkward wet dream situations,

Or that.

being able to cover skin flaws with make-up,

Most men care less about that sort of thing in any case, I suspect. We exchange worrying about wrinkles with worrying about hair loss...

and being more free to live how you want without judgment or fear of being beaten up. That last one is a big one to me. You can wear jeans or a dress.

I've had male friends who've managed that last too... On the other hand at least one and I suspect both of them were transsexual, so they probably don't count.

Phil

SorryNotSorry

Re the vegetable thing... maybe it's just a California thing, but I've never met any women who felt they could do without vegetables. Maybe greens taste like candy to some people...

Re periods... even a female-illiterate ignoramus like me knows that while some women suffer grievously from them, for some they're just a minor inconvenience. Pretty ironic how many women who become infertile are devastated by the inability to have kids... yet some of you gals who don't want kids, have at times sounded as if you'd run right out and get hysterectomies if Sears sold them. And no, I'm not trying to sound rude or PO'd... because as a man who doesn't want kids, I sure wouldn't miss my prostate, especially in old age. To me, it's a totally useless body part. :?

I'll never be my dream girl... but hey, that's what fiction is for, right? :wink:

In the ideal scenario, and with some women you're right. There are also some women who "celebrate" her periods, using it as her "I am woman hear me roar" week. (I tell ya', for a lot of us tho', that phrase takes on totally different meaning for that week.)

I couldn't take the pill because I'm allergic to horses but the few times I did take it, until they figured out why I'd get these "streaming colds" every time, it didn't do any good.

I was very sick. I won't go into detail but not only could I not walk upright from age 10-28 (24/7 cramping) but at age 42 I'm quite round shouldered now and it did irrepairable internal damage before I finally convinced them to do a hyst at age 28 (which back then was unthinkable!)

Anyway, I'm perfectly fine being born, and remaining female. The biggest pip of it all is just not being able to go out alone and sit somewhere without some guy thinking I'm in heat.

SorryNotSorry

"I finally convinced them to do a hyst at age 28 (which back then was unthinkable!)"

Probably because the drs were so hung up on depriving you of your chance to become a parent. Many MDs in the States still are... plus in this country, there's the religion factor (ugh).

"Anyway, I'm perfectly fine being born, and remaining female. The biggest pip of it all is just not being able to go out alone and sit somewhere without some guy thinking I'm in heat."

Strange, I'd swear from your pics that you're my neighbor Donna, who lives just across the street... except she's married. Any guy who tries to hit on her is probably going to get hit over the head with a golf club by her husband! :P

There's nothing like gettign dressed up to make me wish I was male - no nylons, no high heels, no pointy toes, no spaghetti straps, no skirts, no makeup ... damn, that sounds like the life.

I'd be that guy how always needs his wife to tie his tie for him though. :D

Hmm, I've thought about this a lot. Theres pros and cons of both sides but mostly I think of the peer pressure of both ends.

Guys: As you will see from all sorts of stuff like The Man Show. All guys are are CARS + BEER + WOMEN. Making guys totally dense. I hate guys who are only interested in cars beer and women, but it seems to be the staple with guys, and if you aren't into all three of these things, a WHOLE lot then you are looked down upon.

Girls: The same stuff applies to girls too. Just it's more based around FASHION + FASHION + FASHION. Wearing high heels, wearing your hair just right and trying to look "so good". weight is an issue and all sorts of things related to looks seem to be the biggest issue.

I know that these are EXTREME stereotypes, and that practically noone is that shallow. But still by being that gender, you can feel the pressure of every guy or every girl pressing down on you.

It's these issues that bother me the most, more than the biological stuff.

Being a guy though, if I was able to have a second life, then I would choose being a girl just because I havn't experienced it. If I was a girl I probably would be dressing and acting the same way though.

There's nothing like gettign dressed up to make me wish I was male - no nylons, no high heels, no pointy toes, no spaghetti straps, no skirts, no makeup ... damn, that sounds like the life.

You don't have to wear any of those things to dress up. There are women's tuxedos and some really nice pantsuits. You don't need to wear panty hose with them, or high heels, they don't have spaghetti straps and the make up is a choice, not an obligation. I have three very dressy outfits (that's all I need, I rarely dress up) and none of them involve any of the above. I don't 'do' my hair either. I wash it. C'est Ca.

Guys: As you will see from all sorts of stuff like The Man Show. All guys are are CARS + BEER + WOMEN. Making guys totally dense. I hate guys who are only interested in cars beer and women, but it seems to be the staple with guys, and if you aren't into all three of these things, a WHOLE lot then you are looked down upon.

Wow. I'm sooooooo far from that. I still have the typically masculine drive for power, though.

deladangerous
In the past I've often thought I would have had a much easier life if I'd been an attractive girl instead. In the end I realised that I would have the exact same level of problems , just different ones, so it would balance out.

Imagine being whistled at instead of listened to. Being a very attractive member of either sex is probably a real pain, moreso than any odd biological quirks. Meanwhile, people who aren't so attractive might not be taken seriously either.

The expectations, the roles that come with whatever you happen to be are the worst part. The world's composed of too many submissive, fashion-obsessed objectified women and men with a seeeerious overdose of machismo.

Given the choice, I'll take whichever I got and make the best exception to all the "rules" --perhaps hoping to make a difference-- instead of longing to be the other simply because it seems like it'd be easier.

And might I suggest we all start by not stereotyping. Vegetables? Wha?

Archived