Sultry actress Marlene Dietrich could have been A?

Opel the Old

BERLIN (Reuters) - Sultry actress Marlene Dietrich, one of the 20th century's most iconic figures, hated sex and had a schizophrenic personality, according to her daughter Maria Riva.

In an interview with German magazine Bunte to be published Thursday, Riva said Dietrich's aversion to sex did not deter countless men from pursuing her.

"All of her lovers wanted to marry her anyway," the magazine quoted the 81-year-old Riva as saying.

Riva, who has written a memoir entitled "My Mother Marlene," said that Dietrich's hatred of sex and sometimes distant personality often made her feel sorry for the men who fell in love with her glamorous mother.

"Marlene Dietrich the film star was always just the person in the mirror, but never her real self," said Riva. "She was a totally normal schizophrenic."

Dietrich's performances in Berlin cabarets and more than a dozen German films during the 1920s prompted her discovery by American film producers. She moved to Hollywood in 1930, where her roles in American productions propelled her rise to fame.

During the 1930s, Dietrich became a vocal opponent of the Nazi leadership in her native Germany, and became an American citizen in 1937. She died in Paris in 1992.

Vicious Trollop

Not to be a gossipmonger or anything, but there's other evidence to support the theory that she was a lesbian...

Not to be a gossipmonger or anything, but there's other evidence to support the theory that she was a lesbian...

Yes, that's what I've heard too and I've seen a couple of documentaries that supported this.

As we can't ask her I'll guess we'll never know.....

I'm afraid there's definite evidence that she was highly sexual(i've read a couple extracts from biographies) - I thought she was bisexual, though.

SorryNotSorry

Another actress I wonder about is Myrna Loy. She was married 4 times but never had any kids.

back then, "dont like having sex with men" = lesbian

Vicious Trollop

That's not what I mean. I'm talking about pretty well-established relationships with women that were, of necessity, covered up at the time.

I don't know of contemporaries slandering her as a lesbian. This is what has come to light since her death.

i dont know about this woman much, but according to the passage above, just her daughter said she distasted sex (at least with men), that's all i know, ahha~

That's not what I mean. I'm talking about pretty well-established relationships with women that were, of necessity, covered up at the time.

Apparently, one of her relationships was with Greta Garbo.

Excuse me now please, while my skull explodes at the contemplation of that glorious image.

... Apparently, one of her relationships was with Greta Garbo...

I saw an indie film which spliced scenes from Greta Garbo's and Marlene Dietrich's movies so they appeared to be acting together.

Moved this, and altered the title.

I had heard the lesbian rumours too. I think when dealing with famous people, living or dead, it's better to just raise the possibility rather than proclaim or assume they were right away.

Falling in Love Again is a beautiful song in any language.

Archived