Bot Clause added to TOS

Amcan

Greetings,

The Admod team has recently added a new clause to the ToS:

Running a Bot and/or automated operating script, that is deemed harmful to the security and operations of the AVEN website, without the expressed permission of the Webmasters and/or the Admod Team will result in an immediate and permanent ban. The decision of whether or not a Bot, and/or automated operating script, poses a threat to the security and operations of AVEN lies exclusively to the judgement of the Admod Team. The threat of Bots and/or automated operating scripts will be determined independently of any precedent cases with the exception of past situations pertaining to a specific program and/or script.

All Bots and/or automated operating scripts, both currently in operation and in future operation, that do not impact the operations of the AVEN website and exist for the sole purpose of assisting and/or benefiting the user have been approved by the Admod Team in advance. In addition visible and registered 'Spider Bots' (Such as Google, Bing, Alexia, etc) have also been approved and are immune to this clause.

This is put in place to protect AVEN's safety, to prevent server overload, and therefore ensuring the optimal experience for everyone. If you wish to run a script on the AVEN site, please contact the Admod team, or the AVEN webmaster at webmaster@asexuality.org

Please note that screen readers and other bots used to help assist users are also exempt from this clause.

On behalf of the Admod team,

Amcan

Administrator

I thought it have always been like that? At least I remember I have reported many bots and then I got a thank you pm and saying that the bot is banned :P

I thought it have always been like that? At least I remember I have reported many bots and then I got a thank you pm and saying that the bot is banned :P

I think you're talking of spammer-bots, while I guess this comes from a different situation. It does make me wonder if it's happened so often to need its own ToS clause but *shrugs*

At the very least it was a necessairy and good addition! :)

If you ask me the clause could have just been

Running a Bot and/or automated operating script without the expressed permission of the Webmasters and/or the Admod Team will result in an immediate and permanent ban.

and that would have been good.

One thing I'll never do because I'd have no idea how to do it. :lol:

If you ask me the clause could have just been

Running a Bot and/or automated operating script without the expressed permission of the Webmasters and/or the Admod Team will result in an immediate and permanent ban.

and that would have been good.

Bureaucracy, y'know.

Janus the Fox
lol yeah, it sounds like its a rule that was always in place but never written, a common sense clause I think so.
Lord Happy Toast

lol yeah, it sounds like its a rule that was always in place but never written, a common sense clause I think so.

Not necessarily. I've written a program to scrape data from AVEN (for research purposes), and the question of whether or not I needed permission from adomds was not at all clear. Now, as I was AVEN's Dedicated Research Contact at the time, I felt that I really ought to get permission beforehand--and I did get permission beforehand--but the rules didn't make it clear that I needed to do this. I've scraped other forums without getting permission from their administrators to do so (I also made my scrapper rather slow, in order to minimize the load it placed on their servers).

Something about this new policy really ought to be added to the rules for researchers.

Archived