Asexual Headcanons

nerdsbianknight

I actually recently went through my two fandoms (HP and MCU) making LGBT headcanons, so, wall of text ahead!

Natasha Romanov from the MCU series (haven't read the comics so I can't comment on those). I'm not sure exactly what though. Maybe grey/demi-aro/ace. I have nothing against her and Bruce especially, but the whole thing did seem a bit strange and forced. I should imagine if Nat were to ever be in a relationship with anyone, it would start as a casual fling and she'd refuse to admit it was anything else. Maybe it never would be anything else.

This x2635461! They had no chemistry whatsoever. I also am of the opinion that MCU Natasha is grey-aro/ace, only uses sexuality as a weapon.

Totally agree, greyaro/ace and uses sexuality as a weapon; the whole "who do you want me to be?" Scene in The Winter Soldier sold that for me. On a similar note, I also see Steve Rogers as biromantic demisexual,Pepper Potts as greyromantic heterosexual and Vision as demiromantic asexual.

Also totally agree with a lot of people here; Charlie Weasley is aro/ace, and Luna Lovegood panromantic asexual. Also, Fleur Delacour panromantic asexual? Remus Lupin demisexual?

eeriesilence

I'm in the middle of watching Sense8 - I'm not sure where Capheus would stand on the romantic spectrum - but I totally headcannon him as ace. The one sex scene of episode 6 *cough* you know the one... and his reaction to it, really compounded his ace-ness for me.

Dodecahedron314

I also headcanon Thalia Grace from the Percy Jackson series on the ace spectrum

I second this! Now it makes a bit more sense that she was one of my favorite characters.

Honey_Badger

I'm pretty convinced Sam Winchester from Supernatural is either grey-a or demisexual. (POSSIBLE SPOILERS: Except when he's soulless; then I read him as more aromantic allosexual) I've also read some theories that Jim Kirk for Star Trek is aromantic, but I've only watched the reboot movies. Still, I like the idea.

Other characters I consider on the ace and/or aro spectrums are Spencer Reid (Criminal Minds), River Tam (Firefly/Serenity), pretty much everyone in Pacific Rim until I'm shown otherwise, Toph Beifong (Avatar: The Last Airbender), and Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter).

You know, I could definitely see Jim Kirk from new!trek as aromantic. And TOS McCoy as gray-ace: though there are a few episodes where he's given a temporary love interest (or just following in Kirk's shoes of going with the flow in order to get information,) it seems like the most important thing in his life is his work, and arguably keeping Jim and Spock alive despite all their misadventures.

I also read Geordi from TNG as asexual: in the one episode where he's shown dating, he admits that his motivation for trying to date is to "have someone to take care of."

Dodecahedron314

I'm pretty convinced Sam Winchester from Supernatural is either grey-a or demisexual. (POSSIBLE SPOILERS: Except when he's soulless; then I read him as more aromantic allosexual) I've also read some theories that Jim Kirk for Star Trek is aromantic, but I've only watched the reboot movies. Still, I like the idea.

Other characters I consider on the ace and/or aro spectrums are Spencer Reid (Criminal Minds), River Tam (Firefly/Serenity), pretty much everyone in Pacific Rim until I'm shown otherwise, Toph Beifong (Avatar: The Last Airbender), and Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter).

You know, I could definitely see Jim Kirk from new!trek as aromantic. And TOS McCoy as gray-ace: though there are a few episodes where he's given a temporary love interest (or just following in Kirk's shoes of going with the flow in order to get information,) it seems like the most important thing in his life is his work, and arguably keeping Jim and Spock alive despite all their misadventures.

I also read Geordi from TNG as asexual: in the one episode where he's shown dating, he admits that his motivation for trying to date is to "have someone to take care of."

Hmm... I could see Bones as grace. I mean, there was the very first episode of the first season of TOS, but really that's about it AFAIK. I can't speak for Nu Trek because I've only seen less than half of the first one so far. I also don't have enough experience with TNG to make many conclusions as far as headcanons are concerned. This is why I need Netflix.
wednesdaywoe

So, there's pretty much no textual evidence but one day, I suddenly realised I'd headcanoned Derek Hale from Teen Wolf as ace. (His distance in the show is probably more from the gigantic trauma he experienced related to his first romantic/sexual experiences and he is definitely not canon ace). I don't know why I specifically latched onto Derek and subconsciously decided I read him as ace but it just makes sense to me, somehow. That's more of a weird, personal feeling one. (Which is fine, obviously, that's the point of a headcanon right?)

I definitely agree with Sherlock Holmes and I think there's plenty of evidence to support that.

Art of Matt Eldritch

Anyone fan of the webcomic Dumbing of Age? I quite enjoy it and a recent strip makes me think resident fan favourite character might be a ace, possibly might be interested in a gay-aromantic (I don't know all the definitions, I'm new to this culture).

http://www.dumbingofage.com/2015/comic/book-5/04-walking-with-dina/evilutionist/

I also headcanon Thalia Grace from the Percy Jackson series on the ace spectrum

I second this! Now it makes a bit more sense that she was one of my favorite characters.

Also Frank, for some reason. While he is clearly alloromantic, I have a feeling he may be ace.

• 4 weeks later...
Dodecahedron314

I've been reading waaaaay too many webcomics lately (as anybody who's suffered through my constant status updates about such can tell you), so I just thought I'd bring back this thread because I've noticed that it's possible to headcanon practically every major character in Todd Allison and the Petunia Violet as ace, minus Cyril. Definitely Todd Allison (I'd also venture to say he could be aro/demiromantic as well), most likely Petunia, Elijah, and Meredith, and heck, possibly minor character Landon as well (I could see him as aro/ace, because it's entirely possible flirting with everyone is a habit he picked up from Cyril, and he might not even realize he's doing it like I've seen people mention in a lot of AVEN threads).

While I'm at it, Agatha from Girl Genius could also be read as ace (though not aro). And also on the topic of webcomics, there are two I'm aware of with actual confirmed canon ace characters, Supernormal Step and The Hues.

• 3 weeks later...

While I'm at it, Agatha from Girl Genius could also be read as ace (though not aro). And also on the topic of webcomics, there are two I'm aware of with actual confirmed canon ace characters, Supernormal Step and The Hues.

Erin from Girls with Slingshots is ace (and in an open relationship with Jamie). That whole comic is chock full with different types of queer people, so I think everyone should be reading it. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Let me just say I love this form. So much.

I especially enjoy the Katniss and Luna headcanons. They're amazing.

Let me share mine-

(Fandom Character Name Headcanon)

Free! Rei Ryugazaki Ace Homoromantic
Free! Haruka Nanase Demi-homosexual
Free! Chigusa Hanamura Ace Panromantic
Legend of Zelda Link Demi-heterosexual
Kid Icarus: Uprising Dark Pit Ace Aro
Rise of the Guardians Jack Frost Ace Panromantic
Big Hero 6 Hiro Hamada Ace Aro
Big Hero 6 Wasabi Ace Heteromantic
Fire Emblem: Awakening Say'ri Ace Homoromantic

I have more LGBTQA headcanons, but these are just the ace-spectrum ones ^_^

Art of Matt Eldritch

Anyone ever see the Man from UNCLE series? The other main character, Illya Kuryakin, seems to be an ace (at least in the first two seasons I've seen). He doesn't seem to be interested in sex like Napoleon Solo (who, like Sterling Archer, probably has gotten the clap so many times its now applause) and he's pretty focused on work. IDK, its hard to think of characters as aces off the top of my head. I don't know if the thread here is for pointing out which characters could be asexuals or ones I wish are asexuals.

The wind on fire trilogy? (specifically the last two books)

Kestrel, one of the main characters, seems to be aro ace, and is utterly confused by the fact that everyone around her is different.

The Atlantean Dragon

From Mass effect:

Mordin Solus. He has stated that he knows that other "people" are interested in him, yet he says that he finds the idea of relationships (Both romantic and sexual) to be..."problematic". Which means that he never really bothered, in my understanding. He also led a pretty busy life so he never actually had time for any of that, at least the romantic aspect of it.

Grunt: Grunt doesn't seem to at all be intrested in that idea. Even after the curing of the Genophage, its not mentioned if Grunt had any plans....as opposed to Wrex, and his "problems". Even in the Citadel DLC, which ships everyone with someone, or implies it, he remains out of it. Well, he was...otherwise distracted, however.

I thought Specalist Traynor was Asexual on my first playthrough, because she didn't seem to go towards anyone in the citadel DLC and I missed all the other clues in the game.

Artemis Fowl from...uh...Artemis Fowl. He surely must be Aromantic. I don't think he felt anything romantic towards Holly, since he seemed to be pretty unsure of the event between them in the Time Paradox. As towards Asexual....well...if anyone is thinking that....need I remind you of Minerva? The girl in the 5th book who distracted him multiple times and who Artemis adknowledged that he liked? That could not be passed of as romantic interest either, since he noticed her before actually knowing who she was or what she was like. It was purely based on her looks at his first seeing her. Sorry to ruin anyones ideas with that point.

I wish Abed from Community was, but, well, he actually always has been interested in girls, as far back to the 2nd season, I believe. Not to mention his partner in the 5th season onwards and his multiple apparent incidents with Annie, implied or otherwise.

I think Clint Barton from MCU is asexual. I know he's got a wife and everything, but he's always struck me as ace, just not aro.

Peridot from Steven universe is aro ace. Granted, most homeworld gems are against fusion (which is sort of like romance right?), but even Jasper and Lapis fused for an advantage, to become stronger. Peridot just replies on her limb enhancers. And I'm not very sure how sex plays into the universe but well, she just seems aro ace.

Sherlock (the BBC one) is asexual. Mycroft too. Don't even argue about this with me. I mean, judging from his "the body is a mere appendage" speech...

• 1 year later...

I second the idea of asexual Illya Kuryakin so hard. Even when the show gets the most ridiculous in season 3, and it seems like everything is an innuendo, I still get an ace vibe from him. I think thats part of the reason I'm not a huge fan of Illya and Gabi's relationship angle in the new film. Hopefully if they do a sequel we'll get actually asexual Illya.

I third Ilya being asexual. Makes sense for him.

I'm not into a lot of fandoms lately, but I occasionally write fanfiction about Pacific Rim and Hellblazer (and related fandoms). My headcanons are:

- Chas Chandler is demisexual. From what I've read (I still haven't read the entire Hellblazer issues, I'm about 100 away from the ending), he only has sex with people he has an emotional connection with (his wife and that woman from All His Engines). I also believe he has sexual attraction for John, but represses it because of internalized homophobia (which would explain his abusive behavior towards John).

- Hermann Gottlieb is a sex-repulsed asexual. He is married to Vanessa because he loves her romantically, and they have a child because they wanted one as a manifestation of their love. My headcanon is that they have an open relationship and that Hermann is also romantically involved with Newton.

999papercranes

Black Widow- Aro/Ace in the MCU but Demiromantic Graysexual in the comics

Steve Rogers- Biromantic Ace

Sherlock- Aro/Ace

Luna Lovegood- Panromantic Ace

Remus Lupin- Demisexual Ace

I also agree with the Katniss and Elsa theories. Katniss as Demiromantic Ace and Elsa as Aro/Ace. 

Basically the same headcanons as previously listed. 

theboxduchess

Pidge Gunderson from Voltron and Antimony Carver from Gunnerkrigg Court (my pure bean aro ace children :lol:)

LittleGoody2Shoes

Sherlcok Holmes

• 3 months later...

I'm pretty sure this one is disproved but i like it and can head canon characters as i want, but I like the idea of King Richard from Galavant being Aro/ace. both or one. i just like that idea, especially in the second season

Flowertheflower

I dunno but I like to think that Papyrus from Undertale is aro/ace..

Salted Karamel
On 4/2/2015 at 5:37 PM, scarletlatitude said:

And obviously Harry and Hermione have a really strong asexual platonic relationship. It kind of bummed me out when JK said that she wanted to put them together. It was the perfect platonic relationship. You don't need the sex.

This is exactly how I felt about Arrow's

Spoiler

Oliver and Felicity. And then they went and canonized it. Barf. I can't buy that ship at all. I stopped watching the show because of it (and because of what they did to Laurel). Why can't we have nice things like awesome platonic relationships between men and women where there are jokes about being conventionally attractive and it doesn't need to mean anyone actually wants more than friendship?!

Here's my list:

Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7. Seemed like a stretch to me when I first saw this idea in the fandom because a huge subplot in the gameplay is the love triangle between him, Tifa, and Aeris… but really, most of that love triangle is about the girls flirting with him and Cloud just being awkward about it. Sure, he had that crush on Tifa as a kid, and he arguably confesses feelings to her at the end, and they may be living together after that, but he isn’t necessarily an aromantic ace. Or he may very well be aromantic but is struggling to put his strong connection with Tifa in context and so he’s hetero-normalizing it and convincing himself he has romantic feelings when his feelings are really queerplatonic.

Regardless of his romantic orientation, Cloud seems to have a lot of hang-ups about relationships, sexuality, and expressing his feelings, and he never seems to indicate any sort of sexuality even when he’s in situations that might prompt a reaction from a sexual person. He strikes me as the sort of ace who finds himself in a situation where someone makes a joke or something where the implied punchline is how much he wants sex and he just stares blankly because he doesn’t get it, or maybe he gets it on an intellectual level but just shifts awkwardly and wonders about these feelings he’s clearly expected to be feeling but doesn’t.

Once I started buying that theory, it made sense to me why I always felt uncomfortable about all the hypersexual Cloud shipping that happens in the fandom. I just can’t see Cloud as a sexual person. (I also have a problem with it being automatically assumed that a man under 6' must be a submissive, infantilized, etc.) Which brings me to…

Sephiroth, who I headcanon as aromantic but not necessarily asexual. Or he could be asexual. But I simply cannot buy him as anything other than aromantic and never could, even before I knew that aromanticism was a thing. There’s a LOT of Sephiroth shipping that goes on in the fandom and 100% of it strikes me as incredibly OOC. The romantic stuff more than the sexual stuff.

And I headcanon Vincent Valentine as demiromantic. Would certainly explain why he’s so incredibly devoted to Lucrecia and the memory of her if he’s never felt romantic feelings for anyone else and never has since. He gives zero indication of any interest in ever having a romantic relationship again, despite that he clearly felt very strongly about her. And even when they first meet he doesn’t seem particularly attracted to her (either that or he’s very professional). It seems to not be until they get to know each other over time and they possibly become friends that he takes notice of her, but with only a handful of disparate flashbacks and little to no indication of how much time is lapsing in between, it’s hard to say. I find it hard to buy fanfiction ideas of Vincent taking romantic interest in anyone else without a considerable amount of relationship development and inner conflict about it.

I also thought of A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones' Jon Snow as being demisexual [season 7 spoilers follow]

Spoiler

before whatever the hell they’re doing in the Season 7 plot. Which it’s worth pointing out the books have not covered yet, and while I’m sure they’re going to head in the same direction, I hope it’s with a lot more relationship development than the show gave it because I am not at all buying this supposed chemistry that all of the other characters and internet recaps inform you is happening on screen.

But like, in the very beginning of the series (both book and show), Robb and Theon tease about there having “never been a girl Jon liked as much as his own hair,” and tbh Jon doesn’t seem particularly conceited about his hair so I don’t think they’re implying he’s a Casanova who just loves his hair that much. He doesn’t angst too much about the Night’s Watch’s vows of celibacy aside from the prospect of never having a family, never seems particularly interested in sex or any girls until [earlier season/book spoilers]

Spoiler

Ygritte spends a considerable amount of time with him, and then doesn’t seem to take an interest in any other girls after her. Even when Melissandre, who is supposedly irresistible to men, tries to use her seduction techniques on him, he doesn’t seem particularly fazed.

I could be reading too much into this and his aversion to casual sex is really just about his own bastardy and not wanting to conceive a bastard himself (which is the justification brought up in the books)…but I like to think of him as demisexual. We’ll see how the remaining books handle his story line.

I’d also like to second this thread's suggestions about Katniss, Merida, and Charlie Weasley.

People say Sherlock Homes was a homosexual but I think he's more asexual actually.

SimplyStormclouds

I super strongly headcannon Shiro from Voltron: Legendary defender as asexual- his entire color scheme is ace pride colors, I am never going to let go of this headcannon, never ever ever. I don't really know where I see him in terms of romantic orientation? Maybe panromantic or polyromantic.

I also very much enjoy the idea of Percy from Heroes of Olympus being asexual and maybe demi or grey romantic? There's no real reason for this outside of he's an amazing character and I just want him to be on the grey spectrum.

Also from Heroes of Olympus is Reyna- I kind of headcannon her as greysexual/romantic? Or at least somewhere on the spectrum. She's been romantically attracted to characters before so I don't think she's completely aromantic, and from the way she interacted with Percy I don't really see her as being demi. Like I said, probably greysexual.

My grey-spec headcannons tend to fall on people who are very much outside the ace/aro stereotype because stereotyping is just really frustrating and annoying... which is mostly why I don't really headcannon Sherlock or Pidge as ace/aro. I mean, I'm totally down with other people having that headcannon if it makes them happy, that's totally fine, I just don't really interpret it that way. ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

I love ace shiro!! Also totally agree on Reyna, maybe asexual greyromantic? 

• 1 month later...

I headcannon Kate McReary from Grand Theft Auto 4 as an aromantic asexual.

Reason? She appears to have no interest in dating, relationships, or sex.

She sees her relationship with Niko Bellic as nothing more than a friendship. When the player has Niko try and "test his luck" with her she always turns him down. Her brother Patrick even asked Niko to take her out on a "date" because her family was starting to worry. 

I really headcanon Daryl Dixon from the Walking Dead as aro ace. Its funny cuz I was telling my sister that Carol/Daryl was my notp and that I shipped Daryl with being a bad ass and she was like, "soo you think he's ace?" and that was when the headcanon was born. I think it really fits, since there's a sort of tension between Carol and Daryl but I always thought it seemed pretty onesided and Daryl always looks super uncomfortable when that happens. 

Sherlock is ace and no one can tell me any different. I like to think that Steve Rogers is ace and demiromantic. I also headcanon Naruto as ace, my reasoning being that anytime he did his sexy no jutsu thing and some dude freaked out about it he was like "bro chill". 

I usually find a character I like in any show or book I'm watching/reading and headcanon them as ace.

Archived