Asexual Headcanons

nerdsbianknight

On 1/21/2019 at 2:09 PM, MaeveTheRaven said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Lalli Hotakainen from the webcomic Stand Still, Stay Silent strikes me as asexual.

Honestly, the comic (or at least the parts of it I've read) has such a lack of romantic subplot that it isn't hard to read most or all of the main crew as a deck of aces and a quiver of aros.

I have some others as well, which are honestly kinda weird but are stuck in my head now so I might as well tell you...

- Brick and Savannah from Milo Murphy's Law - they feel obligated to act like they're dating as part of the "James Bond-ish fancy spy"  archetype, but find it difficult because they don't actually feel that way about each other.

- Pippi Peponopolis from the movie Mr. Popper's Penguins - she has a quirk where she overuses words beginning with P; at the end of the movie she meets a guy named Quince who does the same thing with Q. I headcanon them as in a QPR rather than romance because the abbreviation is just too perfect and because screw "everyone needs a romance in the happy ending."

• 2 weeks later...

What about film version Carol Danvers? Fat chance they will stick with her not having romantic interests, but one can hope.

Pretty sure most of these have all been said, but here's a few of the characters on my head canon list:

• The Doctor in Doctor Who: Varying romantic orientations, depending on the regeneration
  • Jessica Rabbit in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?: This one's made the meme rounds for a while
  • Benton Fraser in Due South: Maybe a slight touch of demi in there, what with that whole Victoria debacle
  • Charlie Weasley in Harry Potter: Dragons

I know there's a few others, but my brain's not firing on all cylinders at the moment.

13 hours ago, Scooter said:

Benton Fraser in Due South: Maybe a slight touch of demi in there, what with that whole Victoria debacle

I agree with you here. I'm not into headcanons per se, but Benton is so ... enduringly naive about the whole relationship thing and the obvious signals that Francesca Vecchio kept sending going straight over his head, it does make me wonder.

• 2 weeks later...
Blue Ice-Tea

I like to think of Scully from The X-Files as asexual.  My reasoning forms part of this very long post: https://realmofasexualpossibility.wordpress.com/2019/02/23/to-dana-scully-on-her-55th-birthday/

Henry Higgins from Pygmalion.

J. M. Barrie from Finding Neverland (and possibly real life).

I agree with seeing Katniss as ace-spectrum, or, at least, as reflecting some aspects of ace experience.  I also like the reading of Elsa as ace, although she's also open to alternative readings.  Sherlock Holmes, definitely.  Most versions of the Doctor, for sure.

I also tend to assume a lot of not-otherwise-specified heroes are asexual: Bilbo, Frodo, Luke Skywalker, Rey.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2015 at 1:11 PM, Lynterrzle said:

I've always thought of Inspector Javert from Les Misérables as both aromantic and asexual...

I'm aware that this post is a few years old. However, I've just come across a PBS interview with the actor who plays Javert in the recent BBC adaptation of Les Miserables, where the host and actor discuss the possibility of Javert being asexual.

It begins at the 21: 19 mark.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/podcasts/david-oyelowo/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=mastersocial&utm_campaign=lesmis_2019#

It's kind of confusing, though, because at around the 9:22 mark, the actor also says that Javert is attracted to Valjean. So, wouldn't that possibly mean that Javert could be a closeted gay guy? The actor said in the interview that the character hates himself, due to his parents being criminals and him being born surrounded by them in that environment. So, isn't it possible that the character might also dislike his sexual orientation, too?

I hope others who hear the interview don't end up with an impression that all asexuals have the same traits as the character.

Celyn: The Lutening
On 3/11/2019 at 9:46 PM, Kiovenn said:

Honestly, the comic (or at least the parts of it I've read) has such a lack of romantic subplot that it isn't hard to read most or all of the main crew as a deck of aces and a quiver of aros

While most of the fans seem to ship Emilalli romantically, I ship them as aroaces in a QPR.

alien.hedgehog

Varys from Game of Thrones(aparently his sexuality predates his castration), Eridan Ampora from Homestuck(a like to think that he is super confused and tries so desperately to have relationships because he doesn't want to be alone) Integra Hellsing, Levi Ackerman, Sakurako from A Corpse is Buried under Sakurako's Feet, Xerxes Break and Kagami Junichiro.

I think that what Zack and Rachel from Angels of Death have looks like platonic, and not romantic, love. There is a 7 years age gap and Rachel is a minor, but it would be so cute for them to be in a QPR after they bonded so much trying to escape. Btw, I think that Zack is aromantic asexual and Rachel demiromantic asexual.

EngineeRaven
On 4/29/2019 at 8:12 AM, Celyn said:

While most of the fans seem to ship Emilalli romantically, I ship them as aroaces in a QPR.

I'm totally on boat with a QPShip too! I mean, I guess I ship them romantically too, but romance is a weird thing I can't really define. And they would definitely make a great QP pair. (*wants more fanfics* *should really get a life*)

RaptorQueen

Wall-e and Eve are the closest thing to a canonically ace couple we've seen from pixar and I'm okay with that.

I also headcanon both Mezo Shoji and Itsuka Kendou from My Hero Academia as ace.

I hc shoji as bi/demiro-ace or aro/ace. He's literally stated himself that he's never really had any worldly desires so him being ace is 100% logical

hTFGfWD.png

And Kendou I have less justification for. I honestly just can't see her doing anything like that, but there isn't much canon evidence to support the idea. It just feels right to me. I headcanon her as bi/ace.

I've also seen a post on Amino once about Alphonse Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist just adopting cats instead of having kids and I gotta say I'm 100% down for that. So now I see Alphonse as ace too which is great since he's one of my favorite characters ever and I love him.

Darth Plagueis from the Star Wars EU (the books prior to the disney purchase) is most likely Aro Ace. Throughout his book he has no romance, nothing sexual, and nothing like a crush. His closest relationship was with his apprentice. You could say that it’s becuase he’s a Sith, but the Bane Trilogy of books shows Darth Bane having some romantic (and sexual?) tension with another character in the first book, and his apprentice has a romantic and sexual relationship with someone at the start of the second book. Along with that, plenty of Sith in the time of the Old Republic MMO have family’s.

Groot from Marvel.

Not sure of any other characters.

11 hours ago, Darth Plagueis the Wise said:

Darth Plagueis from the Star Wars EU (the books prior to the disney purchase) is most likely Aro Ace. Throughout his book he has no romance, nothing sexual, and nothing like a crush. His closest relationship was with his apprentice.

Yes, I think that too. He had also a some kind of "relationship" with another apprentice (Darth Venamis if I remember correctly) of his master. Plagueis defeated him and used him for his medical experiments. It was a weird and very Sith-like relationship but it is still worth to mention I think. I should really read Darth Plagueis again, it is one of the best books from the old EU in my opinion.

11 hours ago, Darth Plagueis the Wise said:

Along with that, plenty of Sith in the time of the Old Republic MMO have family’s.

I think that Darth Traya a.k.a Kreia from the Star Wars Knights of the old Republic II game might also Aro Ace. She proclaims that it is necessary for the Exile to leave all loved ones behind, to follow Revan into the unknown regions. She also emphasizes the importance of not to rely on others as far as possible and to build up your own strength and abilities. On the other hand, if Kreia is the same person as Arren Kae (some fan theories point into that direction) then she had a relationship with the echani general Yusani and she might even had a daughter named Brianna. But I still see Kreia as Aro Ace.

All in all I think there are some Sith characters can be considered being aro ace, because they don't have a celibacy like the Jedi. Darth Sidious and Darth Maul are tow more examples for that I think.

Darth Traya makes sense in my mind. Maul makes sense, since as far as I’m aware he never had any romantic or sexual relationships. Palpatine I can see the aromantic argument, but from what I’m aware of there were rumors of him having children so it would depend on information that we probably will never get an answer on

• 2 weeks later...
AceDragonRider1

I will forever headcanon Miles Edgeworth, from the Ace Attorney video game series, as aro/ace!💜💚

chairdesklamp

@RaptorQueen WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THAT GUY'S FACE AND HEAD!? 

My HC:

I met my best friend in Bleach fandom; us connecting because we were both older than much of the fandom. 

When I figured out I was probably grey, I was thinking I was demi because I do want to want sex with the right person. The question is do I actually want it or just want to want it, and I seem to be unable to hypothesise that far. 

Anyway, we both figure Ichigo is probably also not allo. I definitely relate to (a LOT about him) all of Orihime's messages going over his head. Heck, a lot of sexual stuff in that show goes over my head until pointed out to me. 

But Orihime keeps throwing subtle signs that they make sure the reader sees, but what Ichigo sees, yeah, that would totally go over my head, too. She doesn't really do anything around him except get nervous. At least around him while he's conscious.  Apparently it makes enough sense that most would pick up on it that we're supposed to think Ichigo is "oblivious," if she's so nervous to say it herself (as a girl making a move on a guy might be), she should ask Tatuki to help her. Also a girl, sure, but I could see that making sense. 

Sexuals love to rake me over hot hot coals for missing hints, but not because they wanna help me get in a relationship (which I very much desire a partnership and everyone knows that), but after the chance is gone and there's nothing that can be done, just for their amusement in taunting me and calling me "oblivious," I guess. 

Actually, the part where Rangiku tries to seduce him and he tries to peek though his fingers is the only time we ever see him into anything sexual rather than actually actively rejecting it, and because of that, always felt OOC to me. He can't even say "kiss" at 15. (When Kon first gets his body and makes inappropriate/harassment  moves on the girls in Ichigo's class)

Too bad they never developed properly the epilogue, because I'd've liked to seen what it took for Ichigo to get into a relationship. (Then again, Chad using his fists for fame and fortune!? Maybe it's just as well it was tacked on) 

(I'd actually seriously been hoping it'd end with no pairings)

There's my case.

I'm actually writing a massive remake. I'm putting Ichigo as demi because I BELIEVE that means the attraction's there (I'm hoping I interpreted the explanation right) once a deep bond is formed, and in mine, a part of his story includes having unplanned children (oh, and he's trans, a BUNCH of characters are) that is the only reason :) 

It might also please people to know in mine, Sungsun is an aroace trans woman (and also, she's very obviously coded Chinese in canon) so it's also a double sucker punch to two different types of bigoted "fetish" She gets her touch requirements out of hugging friends and family. Develops some kind of deep bond (still working on it, best friend or QPR?) with Byakuya because they're both classy, fancy people who would totally take tapes of classical music over popular any day. :)

Grimmjow's demi, too, because I can, so I did (his flashy dress comes from a non-sexual reason) because everyone else ever has him as hypersexual, so (blows raspberry) 

RaptorQueen

@chairdesklamp basically in the anime most of the population has superpowers called quirks, and sometimes they can come with mutations that make them look different from most people. his quirk gives him multiple arms and allows him to put body parts on those arms (so eyes, mouths, ears, hands, etc.) which improve the senses those parts are used for. sorry if that's confusing, it's not an easy quirk to explain

On 5/4/2019 at 6:40 PM, RaptorQueen said:

I also headcanon both Mezo Shoji and Itsuka Kendou from My Hero Academia as ace.

I hc shoji as bi/demiro-ace or aro/ace. He's literally stated himself that he's never really had any worldly desires so him being ace is 100% logical

hTFGfWD.png

Yes RaptorQueen!!!

I am super obsessed with BNHA rn...

Shoji is in my top 10 favorite characters, and I can definitely see him as acespec. One of the most common ace hcs I see is Aizawa even though people usually ship him with Mic. 

Also if there are any other BNHA fans here what’s ur stance on Shigaraki/Dabi? I’ve never really understood it, personally. I don’t like Dabi that much (treason, I know) and Shiggy has always given me either an aroace or “allo but relationships are -5 on my priority list” vibe

Idk maybe I’m just projecting bc I like Shigaraki a lot

And as for (BBC) Sherlock, the creator said that he was going to make Sherlock ace but didn’t since a story without sexual tension is “boring”. Sigh. Allos still have a lot to learn, I guess. 

RaptorQueen
18 hours ago, _annA_ said:

Yes RaptorQueen!!!

I am super obsessed with BNHA rn...

Shoji is in my top 10 favorite characters, and I can definitely see him as acespec. One of the most common ace hcs I see is Aizawa even though people usually ship him with Mic. 

Also if there are any other BNHA fans here what’s ur stance on Shigaraki/Dabi? I’ve never really understood it, personally. I don’t like Dabi that much (treason, I know) and Shiggy has always given me either an aroace or “allo but relationships are -5 on my priority list” vibe

Idk maybe I’m just projecting bc I like Shigaraki a lot

And as for (BBC) Sherlock, the creator said that he was going to make Sherlock ace but didn’t since a story without sexual tension is “boring”. Sigh. Allos still have a lot to learn, I guess. 

we should probably take BNHA talk to PMs or make a forum thread for it

i never though much about ace/aro aizawa, but it makes a lot of sense! i could see it

i also see shinsou as demiromantic and maybe ace? idk i havent thought too much about his orientation.

Omg Rick.

But there's such strong evidence that he's allo.

I'd say that his overall indifference to the world he lives in and regard for sex just as an upside like ice cream makes him ace. 

Bntyhntrqueen
On 3/17/2018 at 2:14 AM, Masterman said:

Rey is totally an asexual unless they screw it in the last film.

My fear is that they'll try to shoehorn her in with Kylo Ren or even Poe or Finn. She is 100% ace. She loves deeply, but it's a friendship love, not a romantic love.

Twisted Tempest

The Doom Slayer, from DOOM. This guy is so damn furious, that hell itself can't contain him. I doubt he even gives sexual or romantic attraction a second thought. There are only two things this beast loves: Destroying demons in the most brutal ways possible, and his (deceased) pet rabbit, Daisy. Little else comes between that. 

*idly checks out thread*

*finds shoutouts to some of my favourite fictional heroines ever*

*settles down for the day*

😂

I'm so here for everybody who said Holly Short or Kel of Midelan. They were my two favourite women growing up 😊

@Firefly8 I'm reasonably sure that Varys says at one point that he doesn't feel love or desire, so he doesn't get distracted... I felt it was a little problematic as it seemed to be tied in with his mutilation but someone else (who I can't find - come and reply!) on this thread says it was specifically mentioned as part of him previous to that, so... aroace Varys is practically canon, yeah? :P

Also in ASOIAF (I'm ignoring season 8 of the show from the end of episode 2 onwards, for dodgy storytelling reasons, and just focusing on the books), I got a strong not-sexual vibe from Brienne's povs on first read, when I didn't know the word asexual. Reading them again now, I feel there's a case to be made. She has attractions, but from my reading they originate from people's behaviour towards her and there seems to be no sexual component to them. The nearest I can think from the top of my head is that line about Jaime looking 'half a corpse and half a god'. I could be wrong, but it works in my head XD

13 minutes ago, Wikkit said:

I'm reasonably sure that Varys says at one point that he doesn't feel love or desire, so he doesn't get distracted... I felt it was a little problematic as it seemed to be tied in with his mutilation but someone else (who I can't find - come and reply!) on this thread says it was specifically mentioned as part of him previous to that, so... aroace Varys is practically canon, yeah? :P

I hope so! The problem is that he said was castrated "as a boy" in a story that describes a life-situation of a poor child apprentice. Even if we take "boy" to mean a post-puberty "boy" (an older teen, perhaps?), his pre-castration asexuality would still be questionable at that age and in that environment, IMHO. 

Comrade F&F

My headcannon is everyone is ace unless proven otherwise.

I'm quite disappointed when I get proven wrong. Which is often.

EngineeRaven

Another Stand Still Stay Silent aro-ace headcanon for me is Ensi Hotakainen. I mean for all we know she's probably dead now, so we won't see any real-time confirmation. But we know that she met the father of her children only once, and since she was very much set on training out the next generation of mages, and she wasn't a very motherly figure, I think she only took that pregnancy to pass on her genes.

I just encountered a new one.  I think Ilgra from the Inheritance Cycle: Tales from Alagaësia by Christopher Paolini is aroace.  

BuP1D9F.jpg

It's framed in such a way that she might just be super career-focused, but the "no desire" part seems aroace to me.  

Edit: nope lol

Archived