Asexual Headcanons

nerdsbianknight

nerdsbianknight

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I thought it might be fun to have a discussion about what fictional characters we headcanon as Ace or on the Asexual spectrum.

Top of my list is Sin from Arrow, and it's a headcanon that a good chunk of the fandom seems to support. I dunno what it is but the idea just fits for me. Especially the idea of her in a poly-romantic relationship with Roy and Thea on top of that, because that's adorable.

Charlie Weasely, this one comes from a fandom post that occasionally circulates around tumblr and I like it.

What about you guys, any favorite characters you like to think of as Ace?

Honey_Badger

I'm fairly certain that Holly Short, from the Artemis Fowl series, is Aromantic. Her attitude towards what limited romance there is mentioned in the book's universe, is usually "Do we have time to discuss this? Of course we don't, we're in the middle of another crisis!"

Here's what I said in another thread about this. I think it's still true for me.

Hamlet

Beatrice

Every character Jane Austen ever wrote about

Basically every character from Azumanga Daioh, aside from the canonical lesbian Kaorin. I headcanon most of them (Yomi, Tomo, Osaka, Sakaki, Chiyo, Kagura) as aromantic aces, and then the teachers as a homoromantic grey-ace (Yukari) and biromantic demisexual (Nyamo) respectively.

I've always thought of Inspector Javert from Les Misérables as both aromantic and asexual, and from the same book Enjolras to me is asexual, though probably homoromantic. Though, this isn't too much of a stretch since both characters are described as 'chaste'.

I kept wanting Agent Cooper from Twin Peaks to be asexual and/or aromantic, but that's probably just me projecting and ignoring any evidence otherwise. Can't blame me though, he's a quirky and likeable main character who rebuffs a very attractive and young woman's offer of sex. *sigh* Oh well. He's still a great character.

And there's always good ol' Sherlock Holmes of course, despite people constantly pairing him up with Irene Adler. Which I can't understand at all, being a fan of the original stories.

Edit: WAIT! One more! Nicholas Angel from Hot Fuzz. You know it's true...

I've heard a fair few headcanons about Katniss Everdeen being aro/ace! Or even demisexual, depending on your interpretation.

Which should make sense to those who have read the books, since it's all written in first-person pov you get a clear view of how she sees the people in her life. Maybe only twice ever does she allude to feeling more-than-platonic towards Peeta during the three books. This aro/ace perspective is kinda emphasised when you think about the explicitly romantic and sexual characters she is surrounded by. And the majority of the time Katniss is using kissing as a tool - for instance to gain support from sponsors, or to maintain public adoration as the "star-crossed lovers". Anything genuinely romantic/love-related appeared to be very very low on her personal priority list, even to the last book. This is a more in-depth article that references specific quotes from the books which back up the headcanon if you're interested :)

Well, HPMOR!Harry and HPMOR!Hermione are QPPs. But that might be canon, even though the word "queerplatonic" is never explicitly mentioned. ;)

A few quotes to back this up: (spoilers removed)

"Tell me this," said the soft voice. "Why does that girl matter to you so much?"

"Because she is my friend."

"In the English language as it is customarily used, Mr. Potter, the word 'friend' is not associated with a desperate effort to [REMOVED]. Are you under the impression that she is your true love, or some such?"

"Oh, not you too," Harry said wearily. "Not you of all people, Professor. Fine, we're best friends, but that's all, okay? That's enough. Friends don't let friends [REMOVED]."

"Ordinary folk do not do as much, for those they call friends." The voice sounded more distant now, abstracted. "Not even for those they say they love. Their companions [REMOVED], and they do not [REMOVED]."

Hermione considered this, a slow smile spreading over her face. "Why, Harry," she said. "That's the least romantic thing I've ever heard."

"You're welcome."

"No, really, it does help," Hermione said. "I mean, it makes the whole thing much less stalker-y."

"I know, right?"

I've heard a fair few headcanons about Katniss Everdeen being aro/ace! Or even demisexual, depending on your interpretation.

Which should make sense to those who have read the books, since it's all written in first-person pov you get a clear view of how she sees the people in her life. Maybe only twice ever does she allude to feeling more-than-platonic towards Peeta during the three books. This aro/ace perspective is kinda emphasised when you think about the explicitly romantic and sexual characters she is surrounded by. And the majority of the time Katniss is using kissing as a tool - for instance to gain support from sponsors, or to maintain public adoration as the "star-crossed lovers". Anything genuinely romantic/love-related appeared to be very very low on her personal priority list, even to the last book. This is a more in-depth article that references specific quotes from the books which back up the headcanon if you're interested :)

Just finished reading the books a couple of weeks ago and, as President Snow would say: "Katniss, you just did not convince me you were in love with anyone."

scarletlatitude

I NEVER THOUGHT OF CHARLIE WEASLEY THAT WAY AND IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE. :blink:

I did consider Katniss to be partly ace, once I knew what asexuality was and I watched one of the movies. She does seem to be like "eww, stop, I am trying to kill something here, go away" for most of the story. And obviously Harry and Hermione have a really strong asexual platonic relationship. It kind of bummed me out when JK said that she wanted to put them together. It was the perfect platonic relationship. You don't need the sex.

nerdsbianknight

Yes the Katniss thing definitely. I forgot about her when I made the first post but totally! The fact that she really only went along with these things because it was for survival. And the way yes, kissing was a tool for her. Not just to fool people but to try and make Gale feel better because she figured that's what he wanted. And she doesn't understand why he wants it because she doesn't see the point but it helps him so she'll do it. She is definitely totally aro/ace.

The littlest Deer Rat

I don't think that Link saves Zelda for romantic purposes. He just likes the adventure.

When I was in highschool people were trying to interpret the Hunger Games into a Twilight-ish situation where she had to choose between Peeta and Gale... I was always like no waaaay that's not important to her at all! Haha :P

If you watch the walking dead, Daryl is an interesting character. He rarely gets close to people but he has at least one very strong relationship with another character that does not involve romance.

Dodecahedron314

When I was in highschool people were trying to interpret the Hunger Games into a Twilight-ish situation where she had to choose between Peeta and Gale... I was always like no waaaay that's not important to her at all! Haha :P

Gah, this drove me nuts in junior high. One does not simply take my second favorite YA series ever (after Pendragon by DJ MacHale) and turn it into a shipping war á la overrated omnipresent vampire romance. Pretty sure I ranted about this recently in one of the threads in Romantic and Aromantic Orientations, so all I'll say here is that yes, those people had no sense of priority. There are kind of more important things going on at the time, you know?!
  • 1 month later...

Oh! Another one I thought of that I've had for a while is Tish from the Weekenders! She has an entire episode devoted to her lamenting the fact that her three best friends all have crushes on people, and she has never had one, so she spends the episode trying to 'force' herself to develop romantic feelings for someone, until she comes to the conclusion that she's not a freak just because she doesn't have a crush on anyone. Sounds like a classic aromantic ace to me!

EmotionalAndroid

Egon Spengler from Ghostbusters and Wilhelm from Borderlands The Pre-Sequel.

CaptainKhaleesi

If you watch the walking dead, Daryl is an interesting character. He rarely gets close to people but he has at least one very strong relationship with another character that does not involve romance.

Yeah, I came here to post about Daryl Dixon in TWD. I love that he's made it 5 seasons as a series regular and fan favorite without a love interest. I feel like it adds so much depth to his character. He gets really close to characters and cares deeply about them, but not in a sexual or romantic way. I know a lot of people ship him and Carol, but I sincerely hope that doesn't happen because I love the idea of Daryl being asexual! Or at least I feel like him not having a love interest makes him a more interesting and deep character. You know what I mean?

Mr. Quickhands

Oo! I like this one. Never gave it any thought, and it doesn't seem to have much basis or relevance, but it just feels right. I'll get behind it.

He's an épéeist, too!

CrochetFool

You just HAD to bring up one of my favorite-ever characters. :)

Big, big Egon Spengler fan here (in fact Egon has been my nickname since college; I joke he's my fictional dad). However, I literally never until this moment considered that he might be ace! I have always 'shipped him with Janine Melnitz and always will, but often have wondered wtf?

Android, thank you! It all makes sense now! Egon was reluctant to be with Janine because he worried she'd want sex. Head canon accepted!

(Yes I need sleep, why do you ask?)

EmotionalAndroid

You just HAD to bring up one of my favorite-ever characters. :)

Big, big Egon Spengler fan here (in fact Egon has been my nickname since college; I joke he's my fictional dad). However, I literally never until this moment considered that he might be ace! I have always 'shipped him with Janine Melnitz and always will, but often have wondered wtf?

Android, thank you! It all makes sense now! Egon was reluctant to be with Janine because he worried she'd want sex. Head canon accepted!

(Yes I need sleep, why do you ask?)

Yay, Egon fans unite! :) I'm glad I have given you a different view of this character.

There is something awesome when you realize that a favorite character is more like you than you think! I was so hyped when I realized Wilhelm was most likely an aro ace. He's my favorite character in any video game ever.

Lynterrzle

Oo! I like this one. Never gave it any thought, and it doesn't seem to have much basis or relevance, but it just feels right. I'll get behind it.

He's an épéeist, too!

The more I think about it, the more I agree with it. Nick and Danny give me serious queer platonic vibes. I kinda want to rewatch the movie with this in mind, now...Angel as an aro-ace. The plants, the cake...it all makes sense! (Although Nicholas didn't really care about the cake but whatever.)

Deleted Person

I head cannon that GLaDOS/Caroline from Portal is Aro/ace and this is why she makes so many cake jokes.

If you play the game you'll find there is actually cake at the end, but it's just for her, not Chell, and this is because Chell's sexual and therefore not deserving of delicious cake goodness.

Sparkle_Fists

I see Josephine Montilyet from Dragon Age Inquisition as being biromantic asexual, her romance is super cute and she comes off kind of asexual

Honey_Badger

I head cannon that GLaDOS/Caroline from Portal is Aro/ace and this is why she makes so many cake jokes.

If you play the game you'll find there is actually cake at the end, but it's just for her, not Chell, and this is because Chell's sexual and therefore not deserving of delicious cake goodness.

Well, that and Chell is supposed to die during testing. It's her fault the companion cube couldn't come to the party...

Deleted Person

Well, that and Chell is supposed to die during testing. It's her fault the companion cube couldn't come to the party...

She wasn't supposed to die, it was just an unfortunate side effect of sanitising the portal device for the test subject (But even if GLaDOS did have a further use for her, I'm pretty sure Chell still wouldn't get any cake. Just stick her back in stasis.)

He's an épéeist, too!

I think it helps the overall feel that Nick Winter and Simon Pegg are best friends in real life and seem to live in each other's pockets half the time.

I headcanon Merrill and Hawke from Dragon Age II as biro ace because they are my favourite characters and if I like a character I can only think of them as ace lmao. I headcanon Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds as aro ace, idunno, he gives me that vibe(although i hate the 'genius who doesn't have time for romance/sex' trope)

But it's kinda hard for me to think of any of my favourite characters from anything as something else as ace because usually when they are my fav I relate to them and as my asexuality is quite a big part of my identity(maybe even bigger/just as big as my gender) it just kinda happens?

Oh! Oh! I just thought of a popular one: Elsa! There are so many vids on youtube using Elsa as the Disney princess who doesn't need a man to make her happy.

Archived