AROMANTIC RING?!

When I found out about ACE rings I looked everywhere for something but really didn't like what was out there (that I could afford) until I stumbled onto TheJadeMine shop in Etsy. They have lovely black jade/nephrite rings that are very inexpensive so if you are looking for a ring made out of a natural material I would highly recommend them, I love the one I got. They also have green jade rings if you wanted green for aromantic.

• Like 1
SpookyNameHere

I like the idea of an aro ring, but I don't really think white should be the color of it. White makes me think of the opposite of what it's supposed to be for (if that even made any sense). I like idea of a green ring though. 

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...

I saw on Tumblr someone say that an aromantic ring is white and worn on the middle finger on the left hand, but looking at this thread it seems as though that is still up for debate.

I got a white ring for Christmas and have been using it as an aro-spec pride ring, though. 

I was not aware that the white ring wasn't unanimously agreed on when I asked my mum to get it for me. Oops...

• Like 1
DoubleATripleA
On 9/5/2018 at 4:56 AM, Kia Hiraeth said:

When I found out about ACE rings I looked everywhere for something but really didn't like what was out there (that I could afford) until I stumbled onto TheJadeMine shop in Etsy. They have lovely black jade/nephrite rings that are very inexpensive so if you are looking for a ring made out of a natural material I would highly recommend them, I love the one I got. They also have green jade rings if you wanted green for aromantic.

The green rings are beautiful in this shop. I definitely agree on using green instead of white, since it's the other colour on the flag, and would carry more meaning. On a thread on Arocalypse (Aro forum), there was the idea of having ffiendhsip bracelets in an arrow pattern in the flag's colours, which look cool, but I have sensory problems regarding wearing bracelets. I think Green rings could work.

DoubleATripleA
  • 7 months later...
On 4/1/2015 at 8:03 AM, Vega91 said:

I think an aro ring is a good idea, but I personally am just going to continue to wear my black ace ring because I don't think I even own anything white. The thing with white is that white light contains all colors, and it's become the color for sexuals on the ace flag as some people said. Black, being an absence of color, is a pretty good symbol for the ace community.

The idea of an ace of spades ring is really awesome though. Aren't the aro colors green and yellow?

You have it backwards, white is void of all colour, black is all colour added together. I think white would be better to signify the lack of romantic attraction. 

7 minutes ago, mochamlady said:

You have it backwards, white is void of all colour, black is all colour added together. I think white would be better to signify the lack of romantic attraction. 

Black is the darkest color, the result of the absence or complete absorption of visible light. It is an achromatic color, a color without hue, like white and gray.[1] It is often used symbolically or figuratively to represent darkness, while white represents light.[2] Black and white have often been used to describe opposites such as good and evil, the Dark Ages versus Age of Enlightenment, and night versus day. Since the Middle Ages, black has been the symbolic color of solemnity and authority, and for this reason is still commonly worn by judges and magistrates, including the justices of the U.S. Supreme Court.[2]

• Like 2

A black ring is both ace and aro for me, overlapping if not same community.
Black + white together is too much like the "straight pride" flag/symbols 😬. No thanks, I don't want to give that impression!
straightflag1-1024x576.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
DogObsessedLi

I've been using a white ring on the left middle finger. It definitely seems to be the more popular, white being lack of colour (if you think in terms of art), especially when you compare it to the brightly passionate colours like red. Black obviously is used for ace bring lack of light, which is sort of a similar idea. We also have to remember that black ring on any other finger is apparently used by swingers, so we certainly don't want get mixed up.  To have one ring for both is problematic both for aromantic allosexuals and alloromantic asexuals.

• 3 weeks later...
DoubleATripleA
On 9/6/2019 at 10:53 PM, DogObsessedLianne said:

I've been using a white ring on the left middle finger. It definitely seems to be the more popular, white being lack of colour (if you think in terms of art), especially when you compare it to the brightly passionate colours like red. Black obviously is used for ace bring lack of light, which is sort of a similar idea. We also have to remember that black ring on any other finger is apparently used by swingers, so we certainly don't want get mixed up.  To have one ring for both is problematic both for aromantic allosexuals and alloromantic asexuals.

me too I also use the white ring

• 8 months later...
Cambria Laurel

I don't know if I'm late to this post or not, but my brother wears a ring that is silver and green to show he is aromantic. He saw my ace ring and wanted his own (i wear one that is black and purple, just a personal preference, and also have a plain black one) but he isn't asexual, he is sexual aromantic (pretty much the opposite of me being asexual panromantic) so I thought using black in his ring would be confusing, even though black is a colour on the aromantic flag. We decided grey was the better option and chose silver with the green accents. Didn't think of white at the time, but it's a good idea. Either way, he doesn't mind it not being recognised in the streets, but will happily explain when asked about it by friends

Anonomoose

I think a nice jade ring would work best, it's pretty, on the aro flag, and not that expensive.

On 3/30/2015 at 1:59 AM, DuddyRene said:

Recently I've been looking for some kind of Aromantic ring and i've also come upon a thread on here talking about a black arrow ring or an arrow ring to represent Aromanticism. Which I really don't agree with. BUT i stumbled upon this on tumblr that caught my attention and I can completely get behind this.

Original Post -http://ace-aro-pirates.tumblr.com/post/99438870446/aromantic-symbols-recently-more-discussion-has#notes

A white ring for your Aromantic representation needs.

Thoughts? Ideas?

I don’t really mind the design, I just want to know where to get one. And btw do these cover everyone on the aro spectrum or just definite aros?

MineralTree

While black does give the idea of absence, I was under the impression a black ring was chosen for asexuals because black represents asexuality on the ace flag.

The aro and ace flags are different though!

"Dark Green: Represents aromanticism. Light Green: Represents the aromantic spectrum. White: Represents platonic and aesthetic attraction, as well as queer/quasi platonic relationships. Grey: Represents grey-aromantic and demiromantic people. Black: Represents the sexuality spectrum." (The Gender and Sexuality Research Center.)

That isn't really aromanticism but it's not romanticism.

I personally wouldn't mind a white ring and think that a white ring on the left middle finger is the most widespread choice.

• Like 3
SinglePringlePenguin

So the ideas I have seen for rings in the a-spec community are as follows:

Asexual:

Black ring with

ace of spades for aro-aces

Ace of hearts for romantic aces

Aces of clubs or diamonds for demi/gray aces

Aromantic:

White rings (I personally think this would work for allsexual aros) 

Silver rings

Green rings (most popular?)

Gray rings (gray-ro/demi?)

Yellow rings

Spades

Edited by SinglePringlePenguin

I don't think that white ring is good idea. A lot of aros are also aces and we already have a ring. I know that for my self I will wear black ring and I will make my own bracelet in aromantic flag colours.

• 5 months later...

As someone who feel sexual attraction but demi-romantic i think white ring is nice in the start before i knew this was a thing i thought that green ring will be smart but after reading about this and reading other people opinions i think white ring is nice for the aro people that aren’t aces ace aro people can use green ring or some other symbols like arrow or the playing cards on their black rings

• 2 months later...

i think green jade rings are a cool idea, especially since it appears the white is a bit more controversial, and it seems that there are quality ones that are pretty affordable; these are all under $15 and have lots of good reviews on etsy - first ringsecond ringthird ring

the main issue i've seen with green rings is that it's difficult to pair them up with outfits/other rings, but i feel like jade pairs well with most things and so that'd be less of a problem. especially since each stone tends not to be all the same shade of green, it could represent aromanticism as a spectrum. 

to make it easier for aro-aces so that they don't have to stack rings on the same finger, maybe the aro ring could be middle finger on left hand instead of middle finger on right? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

It sounds like more people want white than green, and I say white. It goes with outfits easier, plus the duality of the white and black, they just fit together so perfectly. white makes me think of purity and in that way, makes sense, 'cause aromantics don't necessarily want a romantic relationship. (I'm explaining the connection between 'purity' and aromantics badly, I'm so sorry. It makes sense in my head, the words just aren't working rn.)

White just seems to fit! Like black on one hand, white on the other.

For the asexual ring, it's not purple, it's black. So similarly, I think the aromantic ring should be white, not green.

And like MineralTree said, the white stripe on the aro flag "represents platonic and aesthetic attraction, as well as queer/quasi platonic relationships".

But the most compelling argument for a white instead of green ring is the existing publicity, even as little as it is. I've seen a few things (like a small reddit thread, a comment on wattpad, here and there, and so forth) about a white aromantic ring, but nothing about a green aromantic ring.

I currently have a plain black ring, but I've considered getting a black ring with purple and green stones to fit with both the Ace and Aro flag colors.

• Like 1

I've been wearing a black silicone ring for about year now, and it's gotten to a point where I feel naked without it. I recently got a second one in a different style for the sake of variety.

As for an aromantic ring, I did get a white ring, but I have to admit I just don't like it. I feel like white just doesn't fit me personally and I would prefer something more subtle. I do like the idea of purple, and even possibly green. I recently bought this ring as a gift for a friend and I love the aesthetics of it. I'm considering getting either that or this one, if not both, for myself as an aro ring.

• 11 months later...
On 3/29/2015 at 6:16 PM, Raindancer said:

I think that would be annoying as hell since I would want to be able to have one ring to represent my asexuality and my aromanticism, and a ring can't be white and black at the same time without looking like neither an asexual or an aromantic ring, but I guess I could wear one of each...on the same finger... I do not understand the white, though. White, in my head, is = sexual.

However, I have heard that the aromantic symbol being the ace of spades, I think it was threads on aven some years ago about that. Maybe it isn't right, but yea, I like that better than "a white ring".

Adding: Lookie, I found a source for what I was thinking about! It is under "Ace": http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.php?title=Asexual_slang

Actually, the ace ring is worn on the right hand middle finger and an aro ring is worn on the left hand middle finger so you wouldn’t have to worry about needing one with both colors. 

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
Imjusthere
On 3/29/2015 at 8:59 PM, DuddyRene said:

Recently I've been looking for some kind of Aromantic ring and i've also come upon a thread on here talking about a black arrow ring or an arrow ring to represent Aromanticism. Which I really don't agree with. BUT i stumbled upon this on tumblr that caught my attention and I can completely get behind this.

Original Post -http://ace-aro-pirates.tumblr.com/post/99438870446/aromantic-symbols-recently-more-discussion-has#notes

A white ring for your Aromantic representation needs.

Thoughts? Ideas?

I’d probably wear a white ring and MAYBE a black ring, I’m not old enough to be sure about either but hey, if the time comes I’ll pull out Amazon. XD