AROMANTIC RING?!

Recently I've been looking for some kind of Aromantic ring and i've also come upon a thread on here talking about a black arrow ring or an arrow ring to represent Aromanticism. Which I really don't agree with. BUT i stumbled upon this on tumblr that caught my attention and I can completely get behind this.

AROMANTIC SYMBOLS:

Recently, more discussion has been stirring within the aro community (yay!) about the flag, symbols, etc.

Well we have talked about the flag quite a bit (my personal favorite being the green/light green/white/grey/black). Now, I think it is time to discuss symbols.

Asexuals wear a black ring on their right middle finger as a sense of pride/to identify each other. You have probably heard of this. Within the aro community we have been trying to organize an aromantic version of this, one of the suggestions being a white ring, worn on the middle finger (either left or right) to symbolize aromanticism. the ring idea has been suggested in other colors, but white goes the best with the most clothing.
A white ring could be worn with just about any colors, is insignificant to allos, and noticeable enough to other aros. anyone on the aromantic spectrum could be open to wear one.

What do you guys think?
Should this be our version of the ace ring?

Original Post -http://ace-aro-pirates.tumblr.com/post/99438870446/aromantic-symbols-recently-more-discussion-has#notes

A white ring for your Aromantic representation needs.

Thoughts? Ideas?

• Like 7

I think that would be annoying as hell since I would want to be able to have one ring to represent my asexuality and my aromanticism, and a ring can't be white and black at the same time without looking like neither an asexual or an aromantic ring, but I guess I could wear one of each...on the same finger... I do not understand the white, though. White, in my head, is = sexual.

However, I have heard that the aromantic symbol being the ace of spades, I think it was threads on aven some years ago about that. Maybe it isn't right, but yea, I like that better than "a white ring".

Adding: Lookie, I found a source for what I was thinking about! It is under "Ace": http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.php?title=Asexual_slang

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I've got a black ring already for my aceness, and I think a white ring could look cool too :)

While I don't identify as fully aromantic any more, I'm pretty close, and would probably still wear a white ring if I found a nice one.

White's a favourite colour of mine though, so I may be a bit biased :P

• Like 5

When I think of white, I think of sexual. When I think of a white ring, I think of those engagement rings because that's pretty much the first thing that pops up when you search "white ring jewelry". I tried searching just "white ring" and ended up with The Ring. :lol: I'm not completely sure though. How about those type of rings that are black and white on the ends? I don't know...

Dodecahedron314

There was actually a thread about this a while back here, with rings for more than just aromanticism, but I don't know if any of it ever really caught on. http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/112781-romantic-orientation-rings

• Like 2
Scottthespy

I like the thought of the spades...an ace of hearts is supposed to be a romantic one, and thus you can get your black ring with the symbol that represents your romantic standing...or any other ring with a spade to signify "sexual but not romantically attracted", which is a thing.

...now I'm picturing a merchandising opportunity. An online jewlery store that will make you a custom ring with a solid colour base and then symbols on it, for appropriate pricing. You could get a rainbow heart to represent homo romantisism, or a grey base with a heart for graysexuality, or get a ring with the "male female both" symbols and hearts to signify panromantisism. Could be fun.

• Like 2

If you think about it both black and white signify "void" or "lack of" depending on how you look at it. I was just suggesting a white ring for aromanticism. if you have any idea of any other colors or whatever that could work? please mention them.

I like the thought of the spades...an ace of hearts is supposed to be a romantic one, and thus you can get your black ring with the symbol that represents your romantic standing...or any other ring with a spade to signify "sexual but not romantically attracted", which is a thing.

...now I'm picturing a merchandising opportunity. An online jewlery store that will make you a custom ring with a solid colour base and then symbols on it, for appropriate pricing. You could get a rainbow heart to represent homo romantisism, or a grey base with a heart for graysexuality, or get a ring with the "male female both" symbols and hearts to signify panromantisism. Could be fun.

that online jewelry store idea sounds pretty awesome to be honest. someone should do it.

but regarding white rings. I've actually found this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DF3GQIE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=18PNGO1ROMG7X&coliid=I2E48QJN1A2YW8&psc=1

its a white ceramic ring but it costs about $20.

i think that the more we discuss the better. because aromanticisim deserves representation as well.

Dodecahedron314

I hate self promotion as much as the next person...but I think I could make this happen. The ring in my avatar is one that I made, a green spade (green is the main aro color because it's the opposite of romantic red) for aromanticism on a black background for asexuality. I could easily whip up hearts (romantic), clubs (grace and/or grayro), and diamonds (demi) that would fit on there, in whatever colors for romantic orientations, favorite colors, what have you. Sizing is pretty customizable, it's just adding more or less rows of beads, I'd have to fiddle with it if anyone wanted it narrower though. Still in the prototype stage, but probably easy enough to get fully figured out.

Would anyone be interested in this?

• Like 4

As an Aro I really identify with the ace of spades, I guess that's why my house key is an ace of spades!

I hate self promotion as much as the next person...but I think I could make this happen. The ring in my avatar is one that I made, a green spade (green is the main aro color because it's the opposite of romantic red) for aromanticism on a black background for asexuality. I could easily whip up hearts (romantic), clubs (grace and/or grayro), and diamonds (demi) that would fit on there, in whatever colors for romantic orientations, favorite colors, what have you. Sizing is pretty customizable, it's just adding more or less rows of beads, I'd have to fiddle with it if anyone wanted it narrower though. Still in the prototype stage, but probably easy enough to get fully figured out.

I think it's a fantastic idea! I like it!

I think an aro ring is a good idea, but I personally am just going to continue to wear my black ace ring because I don't think I even own anything white. The thing with white is that white light contains all colors, and it's become the color for sexuals on the ace flag as some people said. Black, being an absence of color, is a pretty good symbol for the ace community.

The idea of an ace of spades ring is really awesome though. Aren't the aro colors green and yellow?

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

If you did this, I would want one. As an aro ace, I can't really wear just black or white without feeling like a fraud, so this seems like a good alternative :)

I have to agree though with those who see white as the sexual color as it is the color of sexuals on the ace flag. I don't really have any other suggestions though. Using the aro colors, green or yellow, wouldn't match with most clothes so white does make more sense in that way as you said. It might also be inconvenient for those who are aro and ace...which ring to choose?! That aside, I think it's a really good idea to have an aro ring. Just not sure what color and such would be best.

• Like 2

Well, if one was lucky enough to find black and white stackable rings... or you could wear white on the left and black on the right. I feel like that may make people ask more questions, though, rather than just being a signal to other aro aces.

EDIT: Perhaps silver would be better. It's really common, but if it's worn with a black ring that might allow it to stand out more. It's not white or grey, possibly symbolising something we don't want, and it's a lot easier to get a hold of.

• Like 2

Well, if one was lucky enough to find black and white stackable rings... or you could wear white on the left and black on the right. I feel like that may make people ask more questions, though, rather than just being a signal to other aro aces.

EDIT: Perhaps silver would be better. It's really common, but if it's worn with a black ring that might allow it to stand out more. It's not white or grey, possibly symbolising something we don't want, and it's a lot easier to get a hold of.

Okay, the silver ring part was me looking on Amazon and finding nothing but silver rings, however, I found something interesting. A little pricey, but interesting:

http://www.amazon.ca/Tioneer-Ceramic-Stackable-Faceted-pieces/dp/B00K2F1MDW/ref=sr_1_15?s=jewelry&ie=UTF8&qid=1449544581&sr=1-15&keywords=white+stackable+ring

http://www.amazon.ca/Tioneer-Ceramic-Black-Stackable-Faceted/dp/B00K2F2ZUG/ref=sr_1_404?s=jewelry&ie=UTF8&qid=1449544338&sr=1-404&keywords=white+stackable+ring

http://www.amazon.ca/Tioneer-Ceramic-Black-Stackable-Faceted/dp/B00K2F2MCM/ref=sr_1_294?s=jewelry&ie=UTF8&qid=1449544223&sr=1-294&keywords=white+stackable+ring

http://www.amazon.ca/Tioneer-Ceramic-Black-Stackable-Faceted/dp/B00K2F2NY4/ref=sr_1_352?s=jewelry&ie=UTF8&qid=1449544278&sr=1-352&keywords=white+stackable+ring

There are a couple other combinations, but this could work. I kind of prefer silver, but that's mainly an aesthetic thing on my part.

• Like 2

Thank you so much for sharing that, I think I'm going to buy them ^_^. It'll be nice to wear them and know they signify my pride, and who knows? Maybe I'll meet someone who knows what they mean.

• 1 month later...

I am! I would really like one

• Like 1
Dodecahedron314

Huh, it seems like multiple people like the idea of the customizable beaded ring things, so I may very well wind up doing that at some point in the future. However, I can't necessarily guarantee when that will be, because 1. I'm an extremely busy college student with next to no time to dabble in this sort of thing on anything remotely resembling a consistent basis, and 2. I haven't worked out how to make the design more durable yet--as it is currently, the wire weakens and breaks after a while. I was considering adding some sort of epoxy-like substance to the edges and seeing how that holds up, but I'd have to test it out first, which I won't be able to do until at least March when I'm on spring break. I will definitely make an effort to make them available if that turns out to be the ticket to making them durable, though.

• Like 2

I think it's generally a good idea, but maybe silver rings or something would be better, because white is usually for sexuality (Just look at the Ace flag =3).

And while a ring with an ace of spades sounds great, it's only for aro ACES and a aromantic ring should be for allosexual aros too~

Silver is close to white and goes pretty much with anything you wear, so it's good, I think~

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
okay-but-martin-freeman
  • 1 month later...
SamwiseLovesLife
On 30/03/2015 at 2:16 AM, Messen said:

White, in my head, is = sexual

Thank you! I feel this too, black is the absense of colour (or sexual attraction) and white is the abundance of it, so should be Zedsexual

SamwiseLovesLife
On 07/02/2016 at 5:17 PM, Zae said:

Silver is close to white and goes pretty much with anything you wear, so it's good, I think~

But silver rings are worn by people everywhere, it just wouldn't hold the meaning

• Like 1
SamwiseLovesLife
On 15/12/2015 at 6:26 AM, MissLissa said:

I think a green ring sound nice. Like the Aromantic flag.

Personally I think this is best as it represents Aromantisicm best. It could be worn on the left middle finger :)

• Like 3
arekathevampyre

I just wear a plain silver coloured stainless steel ring with black coating in the middle on my middle finger on the left hand (forever single finger) .

(I am not sure what the black coating is , but it didn't fade after long periods of wear and tear) .

Does anyone engrave their ace/aro rings ?

• Like 1
SamwiseLovesLife
On 12/05/2017 at 11:54 AM, arekathevampyre said:

I just wear a plain silver coloured stainless steel ring with black coating in the middle on my middle finger on the left hand (forever single finger) .

(I am not sure what the black coating is , but it didn't fade after long periods of wear and tear) .

Does anyone engrave their ace/aro rings ?

Forever single finger.. I'm definately going to be using this term :'D

• Like 1
arekathevampyre
1 hour ago, SamwiseLovesLife said:

Forever single finger.. I'm definately going to be using this term :'D

saw that term on aven somewhere . It sounds so cute haha 

• Like 1
SamwiseLovesLife
On 01/04/2015 at 1:03 PM, Vega91 said:

Aren't the aro colors green and yellow?

Totally agree. A green ring sounds better to me to reprisent Aromantics

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...
Killerreindeer

I think even though green is my favorite color, it might not be something everyone would like to wear. First I thought white was a good idea, but reading your comments I see the problem with it. Personally I would love see-through rings, a problem might be the limitation of usable materials

• Like 1