Word Censors

I have had it with the swear words and other terms being used on AVEN. It is time that we address that.

We have the capability to auto-censor words. If, say, a user posts the word cunt, we can change it to, say, fluffy kittens.

On the TV show, How I Met Your Mother, where a dad is telling his children about his earlier days, they use euphemisms as filters. For instance, "marijuana" (or drugs) is changes to "sandwich." Smoking marijuana becomes "eating sandwiches." Having [loud] sex is "playing bagpipes."

Here are some word censors already used on internet for a. These can give us some ideas:

Worth1000.com automatically changes "hell" to "New Jersey".

A few years ago The Elder Scrolls Forums used to replace the word "ass" with "spotted owl" and "asshole" with "spotted owl habitat".

TNT decided to do a grand Take That at Twilight, wordfiltering Twilight into My Little Pony, Stephenie Meyer into Krusty the Clown, Bella Swann into Clara Chatham, Edward Cullen into Roxton Colchester III, Jacob Black into Jordie, vampire into Xweetok, werewolf into Werelupe.

In addition every year on International Talk Like a Pirate Day, TNT activates filters to convert regular speech into pirate speech. For example "clean" becomes "swab", "yes" becomes "aye", "not" becomes "nay", etc.

The forum for pro wrestling fan site Death Valley Driver converts "gay" to "manly beyond my wildest expectations" and, oddly, "product" to "stuffing instead of potatoes". Even odder, although perhaps due to prior overuse, the expression "Meh" now expands to "I take umbrage at your previous assertion but cannot be arsed to respond appropriately."

Rangerboard, the Power Rangers fandom board, once had "meh" filtered out as it was being overused, changing it to "gaygaygay".

The TV Tropes forums filter "tl;dr" to "laconic version:". In the past they filtered it to "Sorry, I skipped some posts.", and earlier it was "I am too lazy, or possibly too incapable, to actually read anything. I resent the fact that this makes me seem like an inconsiderate person and hereby pledge to resume taking my ADHD medication."

We can be creative, so let us here some ideas. Of course, we could assemble a long list of objectionable words (such as "troll") and automatically change them all to "Mudkips."

• Like 2

We could automatically change "hell" to "some other forum."

We could sensor "New Jersey" to change to "awesome", or "Land of Lia."

• Like 3

We could sensor "New Jersey" to change to "awesome", or "Land of Lia."

Definitely more like it :)

• Like 2

Can we do this specific to a certain subforum? I want the word "poetry" in Open Mic to always be replaced by "cake and horses to you, oh almight Heart, the best of all Open Mic Moderators!" And "Poem" shall be replaced with "Litany to the eternal and endless beauty of the Horse".

And can we also just convert any walls of text over ten lines long into a bouquet of flowers? A random google image would do.

• Like 4
littlepersonparadox

We should try censoring words to make it more flowery. I also second hearts bouquet of flowers idea. Reduces stress and remind people to be considerate of everyone growing impatience with the internet.

• Like 1
Mycroft is Yourcroft

I like Paradox's idea. Perhaps we could make 'project' change automatically to 'walrus'? That way, not only will we have lots of walruses being discussed in Vis/Ed, but we'll also become the Walrus Team.

I like Paradox's idea. Perhaps we could make 'project' change automatically to 'walrus'? That way, not only will we have lots of walruses being discussed in Vis/Ed, but we'll also become the Walrus Team.

"Admod" would have to be corrected to "eggmen"

• Like 3
Qutenkuddly

Can we filter Atlantic Canada to "Snowmageddon"?

• Like 2

Can we filter Atlantic Canada to "Snowmageddon"?

Only if we're allowed to filter "West Coast" to "Eternal Spring".

"Taiwan" should be filtered to "whever the hell Taiwan is"

• Like 2

"Taiwan" should be filtered to "wherever the hell Taiwan is"

Hmm, I'm curious. Would that double censor to "wherever the New Jersey Taiwan is"?

• Like 1
catsaregood

As an Australian, I'm finding the lack of replacement Australian towns OFFENSIVE! :O Now I've got the Sydneys! :P

• Like 2