#AgenderProblems

Fajita with Pretty OK Hair

Since the aros and aces have threads, we get one too!

There not being a "No" option on gender for surveys..... #AgenderProblems

Spectre/Ex/Machina

Gendered everything #AgenderProblems

Certified Cake Decorator

Things that shouldnt even need to know your sex asking your gender and confusing the two.

(Like spotify, where you cant sign up and listen to music til you pick either male or female, which is dumb because it really wants to know sex but even then, what does music have to do with what is in my pants?! )

subzeropanic

Being told you will grow out of it if you are younger i.e under 26

Having people say you are trying to be a "special snowflake" (that one always baffles me. Who wants to be bullied everyday? I don't.)

Having (for example) a very feminine body and trying to find masculine clothes that actually fit you or vise versa. (jeans man...jeans are the worse)

(For people with vaginas) getting your period...nuff said

Dressing in the morning. Do I feel feminine or masculine or neither? How much of each do I feel? (some days are easy some are not you know?)

People feeling awkward because they can't tell if you are female or male. lol Like neither isn't a concept apparently.

Toby The Casual Prince

People not being aware you can be something that's not a boy or a girl

I applied to nine different colleges this year, and of that nine, I was happy to find that one of them allowed the option of defining your gender as something other than "male" or "female".

Public Restrooms

This just about sums it up.

Public Restrooms

This just about sums it up.

My gender is apparently "Family," "Handicapped," or "Special Needs."

Except when the restrooms are just one-person, like they are in lots of restaurants and the like. Then I take either. I always find it ridiculous when someone waits to use, say, the Ladies' Room if the Men's Room right next to it is open.

"Are you hetero, L/G, or ace?"

...uhhhh.. *flails* look, a demonic duck! *marks in something nonsensical*

Having a boring closet so you have to tell everybody because it's not noteworthy..

Somebody started ranting something incomprehensible about 'cold hos' on the bus at me, and I honestly wasn't sure if he was trying to be a bro, intimidate me, or something even more bizarre... I had no idea how to respond nonetheless.

Highly gendered.. math homework..??? whaat?

Dodecahedron314

People not realizing that there's a difference between agender and asexual. Having to stop yourself from explaining that on a math test, of all places. (It was statistics, and for the common probability part of the test the scenario went something like "In a class, there are X boys, Y girls, and Z Martians (Martians are asexual)." and then you had it find the probability that a certain number of randomly selected students would be whatever gender. Well, let's see: 1. Asexual does not equal agender. 2. If you meant agender, calling agender people Martians is kind of offensive, because we're not aliens. 3. If you meant asexual, which wouldn't make sense in this situation because you're talking about gender, but anyway, that would still be kind of offensive because aces aren't aliens either. I kind of wish I'd had the guts to just write the AVEN URL on the test, but I chickened out. :-/ Idk, maybe I was just a bit over sensitive or something because I had only recently started identifying as ace? The weird thing is, though, later the teacher was talking about asexuality (explaining the test question when we got the tests back because apparently a bunch of people didn't get it) and he understood what it meant because of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory, but then he proceeded to say that it was also the term for not having a gender. Why didn't I say anything?!? Why??? :( )

Dreading summer and wishing to live somewhere cold year round, because bulky clothes hide my feminine form.

Last year I got harassed so much for wearing a light coat. I'm not eager for that to start again.

I'm guessing they meant that Martians were like plants or worms, but I understand the annoyance. :)

Ended up in an annoying Web discussion about how exactly to apply the whole "homo*/hetero*" terminology when one or both of the people involved are "It's complicated". Never got an answer beyond confused comments that I was over thinking it.

CynicalSerenade

Bathrooms. I feel like I'm in the wrong bathroom everytime, but everyone else would assume I'm in the right one because I'm not out yet.

I'm guessing they meant that Martians were like plants or worms, but I understand the annoyance. :)

Ended up in an annoying Web discussion about how exactly to apply the whole "homo*/hetero*" terminology when one or both of the people involved are "It's complicated". Never got an answer beyond confused comments that I was over thinking it.

Skolio. Skoliosexual, skolioromantic... those terms are lifesavers, and mean attracted to genderqueer/nonbinary people. A relationship can be a skoliosexual relationship instead of homosexual/heterosexual ;)

Guest Sheka4

When your club president divideds the club into male and female on opposite sides of the room and you stand confused on one side and your friend-who you're out too-drags you into the middle area of the room.

Um, so how exactly did that turn out for you? I mean, every time that happened to ME when I was younger, I'd recognize which side of the room wasn't going to get me punched in the face later and go over to that side and stand in the corner because, well, I don't really enjoy getting punched in the face or tripped.

And why the heck would anyone split the room by gender anyways? That seems like the most pointless exercise ever. What on earth does that even accomplish?? Why on earth would anybody ever split a room based on the presence or absence of boobs or whatever when there isn't going to be, you know, nudity and stuff involved?? *has an agender rage moment*

cosmosredshift7

When you are in college, and behavioral psych people have to do surveys as their senior project, and they only have space for male and female in their gender categories.

having overbearing parents that call you "pretty girl", "my daughter", or your full name, all of the time, and you can't be out to them.

i'm seriously feeling the clothes problem, too, because i'm bigger, and the masculine clothes that i want to wear would never fit me right.

yeah, i'm still not sure how to come out to a bunch of people. I'm mostly worried because every time i've tried, it sounds really pathetically uninteresting, and every time so far, I get an apathetic "Oh, okay, cool." Well, except for the LGB counselor that dumped every awful erasing stereotype that they have on me, and yeah I talked to their supervisor about that. Not sure what they're planning on DOING about it, mind.. I don't really want them to get run out of town on a rail or anything, just to, you know, not start talking about how I wasn't really supposed to be there and that we didn't count and didn't have any problems to my face.

the bumbling rotifer

Hating your name, and when you tell people that you hate it, having them suggest shorter but still gendered names.

Always feeling like I'm posing, no matter what gender people call me -- female, male, or even agender. I know they mean well and are just trying to call me what I want, I just always feel I'm a fake [gender].

Um, so how exactly did that turn out for you? I mean, every time that happened to ME when I was younger, I'd recognize which side of the room wasn't going to get me punched in the face later and go over to that side and stand in the corner because, well, I don't really enjoy getting punched in the face or tripped.

And why the heck would anyone split the room by gender anyways? That seems like the most pointless exercise ever. What on earth does that even accomplish?? Why on earth would anybody ever split a room based on the presence or absence of boobs or whatever when there isn't going to be, you know, nudity and stuff involved?? *has an agender rage moment*

It's a common "shortcut" people use to split the room into roughly even groups for some kind of exercise, training, etc.

It's especially lolwut when this is done by a trainer in the LGBTQ community, who doesn't believe in the binary, but who never considered how splitting the group up in this way might impact any nonbinary people in the room (pick the safest side or out yourself).

[Citation needed] ;)

People not realizing that there's a difference between agender and asexual. Having to stop yourself from explaining that on a math test, of all places. (It was statistics, and for the common probability part of the test the scenario went something like "In a class, there are X boys, Y girls, and Z Martians (Martians are asexual)." and then you had it find the probability that a certain number of randomly selected students would be whatever gender. Well, let's see: 1. Asexual does not equal agender. 2. If you meant agender, calling agender people Martians is kind of offensive, because we're not aliens. 3. If you meant asexual, which wouldn't make sense in this situation because you're talking about gender, but anyway, that would still be kind of offensive because aces aren't aliens either. I kind of wish I'd had the guts to just write the AVEN URL on the test, but I chickened out. :-/ Idk, maybe I was just a bit over sensitive or something because I had only recently started identifying as ace? The weird thing is, though, later the teacher was talking about asexuality (explaining the test question when we got the tests back because apparently a bunch of people didn't get it) and he understood what it meant because of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory, but then he proceeded to say that it was also the term for not having a gender. Why didn't I say anything?!? Why??? :( )

I think they meant that:
  • martians reproduce asexually, i.e. without fusion of gametes
  • "boys" and "girls" referred to sex (the property, not the process) rather than gender
  • there happened to be no intersex people in that particular class
(this is the least offensive interpretation I could find)

It could be a class made up of binary gendered humans and agender/asexual Martians. There might not be any non-binary humans in the class -- we are fairly rare in the population, overall. It looks to me like the intent was to say that Martians reproduce asexually (and then the person writing the test wasn't thinking about agender, intersex and non-binary humans, but even if they were, the question is talking about the people in a class, not saying "the world is made up of...", which IMO would be really problematic). Yes they seem to be confusing sex and gender (since the humans are listed by gender and the Martians by sex), but if it were me, I'd be super happy they included Martians because Martians are way cooler than humans and it's even cooler that they're agender/asexual too so I'd just be like YAY, BUY ME A TICKET TO MARS. And then if I had to write my own sex/gender on something in that class I'd be like MARTIAN. (Or at least I'd want to.) "I'm not a boy OR a girl. I'M A MARTIAN."

That said, someone should politely straighten him out that agender is not having a gender and asexual can mean either the sexual orientation or the reproductive method. With humans it refers to the sexual orientation but I don't know about Martians. :)

binary suns

wondering if youre still asleep because it doesnt actually happen that people wake up in someone elses body, right?

Having a friend that keeps calling you lady even though you've told her x-number of times not to because you can't stand that word...

Being in class and you teacher talking about the deference between boys and girls and feeling like a complete outsider...

Certified Cake Decorator

Yesss! My teacher does that all the time! And i'm out to her as NB. She STILL says stuff like "and that is a fundamental difference between men and women"

And i'm just like "and what about me?"

binary suns

Going to do some sort of videogame or something that lets you design your character, and only having male or female options....

Amoeba-Proteus

When I go swimming and feel odd walking in the change room meant for my biological sex.

But then the other option doesn't quite feel right either.

So you walk into the one for your biological sex, to play it safe, and get a lot of stares.

"Hey everyone..." :mellow:

Archived