Feeding the Trolls - Psychology Experiment

Steph Ace

Salutations fellow eebil Overlords,

I would like to bring up a serious topic, and exercise a psychology experiment among the Admods to expand on knowledge on the individuals referred to as 'Trolls'

Section I. of the ToS makes a provision regarding 'Trolls' but do we truly understand its application?

i. Trolling behaviour
As a general rule, trolling, flaming, spamming or insulting of any kind is off-limits. Acting as a troll is grounds for an immediate ban. A troll is defined, not exclusively, as someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the intent of provoking other users into an emotional response.

Yes, trolling is defined, but do we really understand how trolls think?

This is a question that has tormented me for two nights exactly! Therefore my proposed experiment is to act like Trolls within this thread to try and gain an understand of how they may respond.

NOTE: FOR THE PURPOSE OF THIS EXPERIMENT! PLEASE KEEP ALL TROLLING COMMENTS LIMITED TO THIS THREAD! DO NOT LET THE TROLL MAGIC SPILL INTO OTHER BACKROOM THREADS!

I'll go first. *Ahem*

"Kermit the Frog is just a puppet!"
"Tea is just hot leaf juice!"

Am I doing this right?

SHUT UP

Experiment a success!

The volatility of the response emphasizes the ability of Trolls to make accurate and critical insults directed at the intended target. Furthermore, there is also a degree of glee felt by the Troll when a response is made. In addition a crushing sense of 'why am I not getting attention?' is a surprising thought that grows as more time passes without a response.

In conclusion, "Feeding" the Trolls by providing responses motivates them to continue such. While outright ignoring said Troll causes an uncomfortable feeling within the Troll in question.

Excellent work everyone!

keep-calm-and-don-t-feed-the-troll-22.pn

Archived