Survey about asexuals' interactions with the LGBTQ+ community

Notte stellata

Notte stellata
Hello, my name is Alexa, and I am an asexual undergraduate student at Portland State University. For my final year in PSU’s Honors Program, I am writing an undergraduate thesis examining the potential interplay between the romantic identity of asexual individuals, and their personal relationship with the larger LGBTQ+ community.
For this study, I am seeking asexual individuals to fill out a brief survey containing 8 questions (plus 8 demographical questions.) This survey is completely anonymous, with absolutely no individual identifiers collected. The questions will ask about your interactions with the LGBTQ+ community, and your opinions on asexuality’s place under the LGBTQ+ umbrella. Here is the link to the survey:
Thank you very much in advance for your help!

This study has been approved for posting by the AVEN Project Team.

starrynight
Project Team

Also done! Though I'm not sure how helpful my responses will be, as I haven't had too much experience interacting with offical LGBTQ+ spaces

:cake: filled :cake:

verily-forsooth-egads

Whether asexuality is part of the umbrella depends on the purpose. If it's a visibility/awareness movement, sure, we need all we can get. When it comes to particular goals like gay marriage and trans rights, I don't feel like that really targets us, at least not for that reason. The same really applies to any identity under the umbrella, though. It's circumstantial.

catsaregood

Done! :) Thanks for your work in asexuality research! :cake:

Whether asexuality is part of the umbrella depends on the purpose. If it's a visibility/awareness movement, sure, we need all we can get. When it comes to particular goals like gay marriage and trans rights, I don't feel like that really targets us, at least not for that reason. The same really applies to any identity under the umbrella, though. It's circumstantial.

The thing is though many asexuals are also affected by marriage regulations in their respective countries, and many of us are affected by laws regarding gender identity as well, even those of us that aren't trans; if you regulate a gender expression and relationships a particular way, it limits an expression even of those that aren't identified within those particular groups.

And then there are of course intersections. Many asexuals are ace - and- some other identity, or many other identities.

verily-forsooth-egads

The thing is though many asexuals are also affected by marriage regulations in their respective countries, and many of us are affected by laws regarding gender identity as well, even those of us that aren't trans; if you regulate a gender expression and relationships a particular way, it limits an expression even of those that aren't identified within those particular groups.

And then there are of course intersections. Many asexuals are ace - and- some other identity, or many other identities.

Of course. I was just using a couple of the most mainstream examples, which aren't about asexuals in quite the same way; but there are plenty of issues in which we very much are part of the marginalised group, and I certainly didn't intend to imply that we're usually just the supportive bystanders. Just that there's a difference.

Done. Always glad to see ace-related research.

the bumbling rotifer

Excellent questionnaire!

Autumn Sunrise

Just for your information: while I was completing the survey, my security software (avast!) brought up the message: "This site has been marked as a phishing site."

Hmmm, I'm not sure if my responses fit very well. I'm A spectrum but not ace. The questions seemed like they were targeted at the *romantic component. The first questions permitted me to go deeper into the questions at which point they got confusing (I don't have a gender, am I heterosexual or homosexual? Am I going to throw things off?) Also, I do have some issues with my local LGBTQIA community.. but not because my romantic orientation. If I WERE ace instead of agender, I would still have the exact same problem that wasn't based on my romantic orientation. I would have liked to have a bit more ability to break that down; this is a common issue with purely quantitative research which has given quant research its reputation for validity issues. You might want to add a qualitative component of some kind to triangulate with, depending on what phenomenon exactly you are trying to target. Also, you often see interviews use a leading section to filter out people who don't fit your sample. Gender identity confused me.. I'm in the "non-binary" umbrella, but I don't identity as "non-binary"?

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Done :) Good luck with the research, I hope it goes well.

stonehengegirl

done.

Archived