Ellegirl?

nonentities

I had a summer job when I was 19, working in the production staff for a small weekly newspaper. One of the other staff members, who was in his early 30s, took me under his wing. And I remember him saying that by the time I was 30, two things would happen: I'd "find God", and I'd develop an appreciation for Country Music (which I professed a dislike to).

I'm 43, I'm still an atheist, and I still hate Country Music. :P

Yeah, that "sex is a blessing" line...

Sex is a way to have children. *shrug*

But I'm glad they didn't turn it in the wrong direction :D Because the way a majority of the girls are that buy those magazines are...*shrug* I don't know. A lot of magazines cater to a "Write what the people want" attitude, and a lot of (notice I didn't say all) girls that buy these girly magazines want sexy, hot stuff...

VivreEstEsperer

Woah, that was the one I was in. Weird. Weird to think I actually changed people's minds about something.

When I was little I tried to guess what would change when I got older. I was like what 8, 10 yrs old. I guessed that I would like showers and carrots. I love showers now (didn't when I was a kid). I still hate carrots, though.

And I love country music :) But Im an atheist, too.

Kate

quote: That's excting..but that line about sex being a blessing..what bs. That ticked me off. The more I think on this article, the other people they quoted, like that doctor guy is making me more and more aggravated

Yes, I agree. These "sex-perts" all just need to GET A LIFE!!! (By that, I mean, get a life beyond the physical. Isn't there any art, poetry, literature, science in their lives? DON'T THESE BUMS THINK OF ANYTHING BUT S-E-X ALL DAY LONG???)

They say sex is a blessing. Okay, to many people it is. But look around at reality and see how people hurt one another, use one another and betray one another... look at the teenage pregnancies, the crimes against children, the diseases, then think about what kind of blessing it really has been upon society.

All through history, sex has caused mankind trouble. Look at Helen of Troy. A thousand war ships launched because of jealousy. And that is also the reason why the village of the Sabines was attacked -- the marauders wanted to steal the women. Henry the Eighth -- now there was a little bit of trouble! Some people really lose their heads when it comes to sex. How many people need to die of AIDS before people wake up and keep it zipped? I could go on, couldn't I... ?

quote: That's excting..but that line about sex being a blessing..what bs. That ticked me off. The more I think on this article, the other people they quoted, like that doctor guy is making me more and more aggravated

Yes, I agree. These "sex-perts" all just need to GET A LIFE!!! (By that, I mean, get a life beyond the physical. Isn't there any art, poetry, literature, science in their lives? DON'T THESE BUMS THINK OF ANYTHING BUT S-E-X ALL DAY LONG???)

They say sex is a blessing. Okay, to many people it is. But look around at reality and see how people hurt one another, use one another and betray one another... look at the teenage pregnancies, the crimes against children, the diseases, then think about what kind of blessing it really has been upon society.

All through history, sex has caused mankind trouble. Look at Helen of Troy. A thousand war ships launched because of jealousy. And that is also the reason why the village of the Sabines was attacked -- the marauders wanted to steal the women. Henry the Eighth -- now there was a little bit of trouble! Some people really lose their heads when it comes to sex. How many people need to die of AIDS before people wake up and keep it zipped? I could go on, couldn't I... ?

*thunder clap*

Despite all of that, people still find immense joy and pleasure in it, to the point where it's a necessity, and they're ignoring the simple facts... that sex can also lead to trouble.

:?

• 2 months later...

And no one should be forced to listen to country music, either.

• 6 months later...
"When somebody says, 'I'm not interested in sex,' my question is, 'What has happened to them?'" says Barnaby Barratt, PhD, President of the American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors, and Therapists. "It's sad, because I think sex is basically a huge blessing to human beings."

Replacing some of the words gives you this:

"When somebody says, 'I'm not interested in eating cookies,' my question is, 'What has happened to them?'" says Barnaby Barratt, PhD, President of the American Association of Cookie Educators, Counselors, and Therapists. "It's sad, because I think cookies are basically a huge blessing to human beings."

That would probably sound as absurd to him as what he said is to me.

Another notion is that asexuality is just a phase that some people go through, like being a vegetarian or an atheist.

Vegetarianism and atheism are phases? :?

I think the implication is that vegetarianism and atheism are choices, although I agree that the current wording isn't exactly great. I do understand the underlying intention though: asexuality isn't a choice, and it isn't something that you can just decide to change.

What has happned to Barnaby Barratt that he thinks sex is such a blessing?

"When somebody says, 'I'm not interested in sex,' my question is, 'What has happened to them?'" says Barnaby Barratt, PhD, President of the American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors, and Therapists. "It's sad, because I think sex is basically a huge blessing to human beings."

"When somebody says, 'I'm not interested in eating cookies,' my question is, 'What has happened to them?'" says Barnaby Barratt, PhD, President of the American Association of Cookie Educators, Counselors, and Therapists. "It's sad, because I think cookies are basically a huge blessing to human beings."

I think your version makes more sense...

I think your version makes more sense...

:lol: yeah i agree.

Archived