What's semisexual?

MoraDollie

I've seen this term pop up on a rare occasion so I'll ask the people here, what's semisexual mean?

The meaning of semi

semi-
pref.
1. Half: semicircle.
2. Partial; partially: semiconscious.
3. Resembling or having some of the characteristics of: semiofficial.
4. Occurring twice during: semimonthly. See Usage Note at bi-1.

Source : http://www.thefreedictionary.com/semi-

So therefore, semi-sexual is someone who's partially or half asexual and half sexual.

Amoeba-Proteus

A term I prefer to not use...
I feel like... one is either sexual, or not sexual...

I don't understand how someone can be half. I mean we already have Gray-sexual and they rarely feel any sexual attraction as far as my knowledge allows me to understand. This semi-sexual word seems kind of dumb and hypocritical.

We already have grey asexual and demisexual. Grey asexual afaik covers both people who don't experience sexual attraction often or who don't experience it very strongly. So I'm not sure what the new term would be needed to convey. Perhaps people didn't know about grey asexual and made up their own term.

I'd say, ask the people who are using it what they mean.

So therefore, semi-sexual is someone who's partially or half asexual and half sexual.

How does that make logical sense, though? If you're any percentage not asexual, you're sexual. 'Sexual' is not a synonym for 'hypersexual'. There are plenty of people who are sexual but not highly sexually-driven people. That doesn't make them half asexual.

That's why the term means nothing to me. It appears that many others agree.

Well no there are lots of grey asexual people. And demisexual has a meaning of its own, too, now. But I still don't see what we need the new term for. (I'd like to know if there is something I'm missing!)

We already have grey asexual and demisexual. Grey asexual afaik covers both people who don't experience sexual attraction often or who don't experience it very strongly. So I'm not sure what the new term would be needed to convey. Perhaps people didn't know about grey asexual and made up their own term.

I'd say, ask the people who are using it what they mean.

It's not a new term; i found a post by the creator of this site from like 2007 on it. According to him its when someone rarely feels sexual attraction; as a mood and not because of a person. It obviously isn't talked about anymore so it didn't catch on. That and i think it has a new name now. It's just a specific type of Gray-A and is needed just like the other grays that have been given full names.

It's not a new term; i found a post by the creator of this site from like 2007 on it. According to him its when someone rarely feels sexual attraction; as a mood and not because of a person. It obviously isn't talked about anymore so it didn't catch on. That and i think it has a new name now. It's just a specific type of Gray-A and is needed just like the other grays that have been given full names.

I think just "graysexual" should suffice for that then, judging off of that definition.

Meh, true, but it's their decision; just like it is for all the other named grays. It's like saying demisexuals should only identify as gray-a. More spacific is useful.

Btw, i think the reason it didn't catch on was because semi=demi.

I also encountered this term once or twice before, & from what I understood, it's another, less popular name for demisexual.

I've heard that it means feeling attraction but not drive, if that makes sense. Like, you can like people in that way, but you don't want to act on it.

Sounds like it could be some type of gray-ace/graysexual.

Reminds me of the term 'ace-flux' (doesn't mean the same thing but just reminds me).

And ace-flux reminds me of dubstep because of flux pavilion.

Semisexual is what I called myself before I knew I was ace. I knew I didn't feel the way other people did, but I didn't know that aesthetic attraction was different from sexual attraction. I thought I invented the term "semisexual" to describe what I was feeling, but apparently someone else thought of the term as well

Archived