Excellent news story re: AVEN on Boston CBS affiliate!

Imfinehopeur2

Imfinehopeur2

I never knew that an organized asexual community existed until I saw a news piece on the CBS local affiliate in Boston on 9/29. I took a day to review what was going on here and then decided to join. I hope that such exposure will become commonplace, as I know there must be many, many people as myself who will rejoice on knowing they are not alone!!

:arrow: http://cbs4boston.com/health/local_story_271193725.html

Also, has an airing date been announced yet for the upcoming "20/20" piece I've seen mentioned???

Cate Perfect
Also, has an airing date been announced yet for the upcoming "20/20" piece I've seen mentioned???

Not yet--we still have the second half of the interview to tape, but we'll let everyone know when it airs.

We hope to get the word out more, as well.

Welcome to the board! :D

Cate (Victoria in the interview)

That interview sure gets around.

Am I the only one who cringes at "choosing a life of abstinance" and "this is a choice David made for himself"?

No, No, No, media people.

Imfinehopeur2

Sacred, I somewhat overlooked those comments because it was simply what I expected. Even the term "asexuality" is probably new to most, so the awkwardness of the reporter's comments did not surprise me. I focused more on the informational aspect about the AVEN community. I found that educational aspect of it worthy in and of itself. After all, it brought me here!! :)

That interview sure gets around.

Am I the only one who cringes at "choosing a life of abstinance" and "this is a choice David made for himself"?

No, No, No, media people.

You are certainly not the only one.

Also when she brought up the thing about, before labling oneself as asexual one should see a doctor first. It's like she's suggesting that being asexual is un-natual, and a bad thing. If my sexuality is caused by lack of the right hormones, I don't want to know. I certainly would not want them altered in any way. I have accepted, and now I've found this place, LOVE being what I am. I have never wished to have sex, even though I have been very much in love with 2 men in my life so far. Both are now still good friends, and both now accept and understand my asexualiy. Indeed it was the second one who introduced me to the possability, and thus this sight, and...

I'm rambling. :oops: Sory all. Stopping now.

Thanks for the link Imfinehopeur2. :)

(Swept)

To me abstinence means you want something, but you consciously refrain from doing it. This is exactly the opposite of what I am. I most certainly don't want something, and have unfortunately in the past felt very pressured to do it.

I think it is easier for sexuals to imagine that we actually really do want sex and just have various reasons for abstaining from it.

Another phrase that I cringed at was "these people". I don't know why, but that seemed so dismissive to me.

But all in all, I guess, the more word gets out the better. The interview didn't seem so much hostile as just ignorant.

I don't feel my asexuality is a choice but living my lifestyle IS my choice.

I can't choose to be asexual but I CAN choose to live the asexual lifestyle or play the game, meld into the "normal society" and live a heterosexual life or a homosexual life so in effect, yes, a lifestyle of abstinance IS my choice.

Archived