Songs you didn't realize were about sex?

Lizzytreble13

I think Gabriel may have toned it down a bit for that broadcast. Lyrics at 7:05 

This is the raunchier version:

Chocolatastic AroAce

Genie in the bottle by Christina Arugula and It wasn't me by Shaggy were popular songs when I was growing up and naturally I sang them all the time not realizing what they were about.   All those weird looks I got make sense now.

I also thought Genie in the bottle was about a genie.

I just thought the girl and boy in "it wasn't me'  were just friends whose parents didn't get along and 'banging on the bathroom floor' was just a metaphor for the kids misbehaving and breaking things with hammers......it made sense in my head.

9 hours ago, Telecaster68 said:

Gabriel-era Genesis was often about ... well who knows, but not often sex. Counting Out Time is about failing to lose your virginity though.

I'll have to check that out.

I operate on the assumption that a song is about sex until I listen a couple times. Especially Pop. I tend to do that less with indie groups, so I'm sure there's a few I'm not familiar with. 

• 3 weeks later...
FriendlyFangirl

Wait, edge of glory is about sex? I thought it was about taking a leap of faith and believing in yourself.

• 1 year later...

Heard Relax on the 80s channel of my satellite TV/music service last night.

I would've been 22 at the time of its release. I had no idea that the lyrics could be taken in a sexual way. I just thought it had a catchy beat.

@will123, Relax got banned from airplay by the BBC for the references to homosexual sex. The result was that it became a huge hit and  one tiny step along the path of destigmatising homosexuality 

Phantasmal Fingers
On 5/13/2018 at 2:22 AM, will123 said:

When the song came out in the 80s, I had no idea it was about sex, Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood. 

Same! 😄

7 hours ago, will123 said:

I would've been 22 at the time of its release. I had no idea that the lyrics could be taken in a sexual way. I just thought it had a catchy beat.

Hah, that was alllllll everyone around me talked about when it was first out.

9 hours ago, Sleighcaptain said:

@will123, Relax got banned from airplay by the BBC for the references to homosexual sex. The result was that it became a huge hit and  one tiny step along the path of destigmatising homosexuality 

Spoiler

I guess I wasn't aware that 'come' could be the slang 'cum'. I'm pretty sure I knew what gay sex entailed. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, will123 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I guess I wasn't aware that 'come' could be the slang 'cum'. I'm pretty sure I knew what gay sex entailed. :ph34r:

Way TMI:

Spoiler

...but the sound effects in the middle of the song!

4 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Way TMI:

Hide contents

...but the sound effects in the middle of the song!

At 3:10?

I did a search and I guess I hadn't mentioned Foghat's Slow Ride. 

Apparently I wasn't the only person...

Major face palm moment when it dawned on me (after hearing the song many times over the years) why the beat sped up at its conclusion.

:ph34r:

I know this should be obvious, but when I was young I had no idea the song 'Love game' by Lady gaga was about sex, some of the lines that are really obviously about sex flew right over my head. But I was about 10, so that's understandable.  There's also a song from the musical Phantom of the Opera 'The point of no return' that is about sex too (I still like the song, because every song it that musical is amazing) but until I was about 14, I was thinking 'What is this point of no return they're talking about? Is it a location of some kind?'. Apart from that, not really, might be because I'm so clueless or try and avoid songs that are explicitly about sex. 

He Plays the Violin, from the musical 1776. ("Not everyone is from Boston, John.")

• 1 month later...
J. van Deijck

Nevermore's Garden of Grey.

Now when I'm older, I can see it clearly. I still don't really know what that "garden of grey" is, but the rest of the lyrics is pretty self-explanatory. 😕

...but I like this song anyway. Lol at me. :P

Pretty much all music I heard as a child I never thought was about sex 😂 But some that stand out in my memory are Barbie Girl by Aqua, (thought "touch and play" were literally just dancing and playing, not sex, I think I was five or 6 at the time :P ) and Hit Me Baby One More time. I had no idea what she was singing about, I didn't even question it. "Bow. Bow....ooooyaaah" 😂 

Janus the Fox

Cotton Eyed Joe

actualcakebytheocean

"Cake by the Ocean." I remember I loved that song when it first came out. I was obsessed with it. It was catchy, I love cake, it was a perfect song. Just a couple of months ago I realized what it was actually about and I feel so dumb because it's so obvious. And this is also kinda dumb, but I was legitmately crushed. I was so disappointed that the cake I was promised was a lie. I'm still bitter about it. This incident finally sealed the deal on the whole asexual thing. 

So. Many. Songs

But that is not entirely because ace, but also partly because my multitasking capabilities are so bad, that if I focus on anything else other than listening to the lyrics specifically (and usually I don't sit there just focusing on lyrics while I listen to music) I only catch some nice sounding words but never the whole context. A lot of things pass me by. I can hear something again later and go "Shit, this is about sex. It is extremely obviously about sex. It is the most about sex song ever written, and somehow I missed it the first three times I heard it" x)

TLC's Red Light Special. but then again i was listening to the song when i was 6 or 7...

QuirkyMongoose555
On 2/17/2020 at 11:10 PM, actualcakebytheocean said:

"Cake by the Ocean." I remember I loved that song when it first came out. I was obsessed with it. It was catchy, I love cake, it was a perfect song. Just a couple of months ago I realized what it was actually about and I feel so dumb because it's so obvious. And this is also kinda dumb, but I was legitmately crushed. I was so disappointed that the cake I was promised was a lie. I'm still bitter about it. This incident finally sealed the deal on the whole asexual thing. 

WHAT? That song is about... what? I thought it was about eating delicious cake on the beach.

I'm still reeling over "Cotton Eyed Joe."

I really like that song. 

actualcakebytheocean
21 hours ago, QuirkyMongoose555 said:

WHAT? That song is about... what? I thought it was about eating delicious cake on the beach.

IKR?! Im still not okay about it lol. In my mind it will always be about cake.

My case is a bit justified because it was in Russian. While it is true that I can understand Russian to some extent (like "Yes", "No", "Hello" and the less complicated stuff), that one really went over my head (because WTF).

T-fest and Scroptonite - Lambada

Burlt eh... I guess I should have expected that.... because no normal song would have such instrumental to it.

MakeupJunkie4
On 2/24/2020 at 8:21 PM, QuirkyMongoose555 said:

It's actually pretty explicit...the part about licking "frosting" off their fingers....ummmm...I'll pass...! LOL

On 2/25/2020 at 4:23 AM, argar said:

I'm still reeling over "Cotton Eyed Joe."

I really like that song. 

Wait what?!

Bit obscure, and actually my slightly naive allosexual boyfriend rather than me who made this mistake, but Think of England by Bear's Den.

You'd think the meaning of a song with the lyrics "all those fires that died in our bedroom, I was out fetching wood" and "do you lie back and think of England with fireworks flashing? And learn to feign your feelings" would be pretty obvious, but apparently not...

Archived