Songs you didn't realize were about sex?

Lizzytreble13

Lizzytreble13

So, ace moment of the day (before 8am!) - my roommate was listening to "Stronger" by Kanye West, and I just now realized that he's talking about sex. Just now! I've been grooving to that song for years! I had to ask my roommate, and she was like "oh yeah, definitely." *facepalm*

Hahaha has anyone else had a similar experience?

Not me personally, but my mom had the same experience with the song "Afternoon Delight". :lol:

I have my oblivious moments from time to time, but I pick up the sexual references pretty quickly.

PinkEagleSoaring86

(Now this will really mess you up lol! How?! Why?! Nnnnnnooooooooooo!!!!) "C'est La Vie" by B*Witched and "The Rhythm Is Gonna Get You" by Gloria Estefan.

It happened to me plenty of times! Mostly because English isn't my native language, but still...

How is complicated a sex song?

Timber by K€sha.

Shuttle to Venus. A popular song by a finnish adult pop singer Kikka. It's basically nothing but sex but somehow I only managed to pick up the "shuttle to Venus" part from the lyrics and during my whole childhood and teen years thought it was about a couple who was literally flying into Venus by rocket and they were really excited about it. -.-;

Rock the boat by Aaliyah

And genie in a bottle by Christina Aguilera (I really thought this song was a about a genie ....in a bottle .... Being set free)

Not me personally, but my mom had the same experience with the song "Afternoon Delight". :lol:

I have my oblivious moments from time to time, but I pick up the sexual references pretty quickly.

I loved "Afternoon Delight" when I was a kid, I really thought it was about watching fireworks. When someone explained what an afternoon delight actually was, I didn't believe her (I think it may have been my sister). She had to explain "Bang a Gong" by Powerhouse too.

She Bop by Cyndi Lauper

Yeah, this one was a shocker. I didn't understand what "bop" meant and I never bothered to find out.

butterflydreams

Quite a few of Jehtro Tull's stuff including Velvet Green, and Hunting Girl. Acres Wild too. Apparently Ian Anderson had a thing for "sex in the fields" songs.

Oh and Pictures of Lily by The Who, but that's about masturbation I think.

I've gotten to the piont where I basically go into every new song assuming its about sex, then reevaluate if necessary. Most of the time what I get surprised by is the gender of the singer...I am TERRIBLE at telling by voice if some one is male or female. A friend asked me for 'songs objectifying men' for a school research project, and both the ones I gave her were actually sung by men...though one of them was gay so it still counted.

So apparently "Summer of '69" by Bryan Adams is about a summer with a lot of sex. I did not know about this until senior year of high school because some friends at the time pointed it out. I'm still kind of skeptical about it though. I like to think that it is still about a guy who had a fun summer and his little innocent love life.

This french song. I love this version by Lisha, never once stopped to think it was all about sex until one of my friends told me, and even then I doubted them. Now, I realise it is about sex from the start to the finish.

"Let's Play" by Kristina Maria

I didn't listen to the lyrics when I first heard the song. I thought it was just catchy, until my friend told me it was about sex and i was like ...oh. I still like it though.

SorryNotSorry

"Do The Hustle" by Van McCoy.

Also, I had no idea the band Steely Dan was named after a vibrator until a former co-worker told me.

Warden Tabris

I feel kinda dumb because I didn't know Blurred Lines was about sex until people started to call out it's rape-yness

I never realized Love Who Loves You Back by Tokio Hotel was about sex .__. Until I looked at the lyrics.

I can't think of a song but when I saw Goldfinger as a little girl I thought she was called Pussy Galore because she liked cats or something.

My parents and I were listening to Madonna's "Like a Prayer" in the car when I was 22 or 23. There was a lull in the conversation and I heard, "I'm down on my knees. I want to take you there." The gears in my head began to turn and I FINALLY after 13 years of listening to the song realized that she was talking about something entirely different. I immediately understood why the song had been so controversial. When I blurted out my realization, my parents cracked up, and we ended up replaying the song while laughing and cringing and me saying I'd never be able to listen to that song the same way ever again.

I also realized that Madonna's song "Cherish" was about wanting a relationship rather than casual sex last year. I always thought when I was younger that a "casual encounter" was just meeting in everyday life and not a formal or semi-formal setting. Like, meeting at the bookstore or grocery store.

Other songs I later discovered were about sex:
Centerfold by J. Geils Band

Super Freak by Rick James

Turning Japanese by The Vapors

That list should really be longer, but I can't recall them all right now.

I always thought when I was younger that a "casual encounter" was just meeting in everyday life and not a formal or semi-formal setting. Like, meeting at the bookstore or grocery store.

My goodness, I never realized that line in Madonna's "cherish" could reference casual sex. I always thought of that song as one of her more innocent songs.

2 other sex songs that I didn't quite get at first were :

Rub you the right way by Johnny Gill and

Crash into me by Dave Matthews band

What.

I had no frigging clue.

You mean the "Ithinkimturningjapaneseithinkimturningjapaneseireally THINK. SO." song?

...What?

What.

I had no frigging clue.

You mean the "Ithinkimturningjapaneseithinkimturningjapaneseireally THINK. SO." song?

...What?

I think it is referring to the faces people make when they are having sex or something like that.

'Edge of Glory' by Lady Gaga - I really thought the song was about something else entirely. Sigh.

Being a bit freaked out when Madonna's song 'Like a Virgin' came out. It's so blatant in its subject matter, you can't not know what it's about ...

I had a similar reaction to Relle about 'Like a Prayer'. I still like it, but I find it very weird that she used a Baptist Choir to sing about sex. :blink:

My parents and I were listening to Madonna's "Like a Prayer" in the car when I was 22 or 23. There was a lull in the conversation and I heard, "I'm down on my knees. I want to take you there." The gears in my head began to turn and I FINALLY after 13 years of listening to the song realized that she was talking about something entirely different. I immediately understood why the song had been so controversial. When I blurted out my realization, my parents cracked up, and we ended up replaying the song while laughing and cringing and me saying I'd never be able to listen to that song the same way ever again.

I also realized that Madonna's song "Cherish" was about wanting a relationship rather than casual sex last year. I always thought when I was younger that a "casual encounter" was just meeting in everyday life and not a formal or semi-formal setting. Like, meeting at the bookstore or grocery store.

Other songs I later discovered were about sex:
Centerfold by J. Geils Band

Super Freak by Rick James

That list should really be longer, but I can't recall them all right now.

About 'Turning Japanese' from Cracked.com:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19454_5-famous-hidden-song-meanings-that-are-total-b.s._p2.html

"We really wanted this one to be true, but the only thing this song has in common with spanking it in a darkened room is that it's about feelings of shame and loneliness. If you watch the end of that video linked above, the band finally tells us what it's really about:

"The Americans seemed to think it was written about that. That it was an English phrase about masturbation. It wasn't. The song was a love song about someone who had lost their girlfriend and was going slowly crazy -- turning Japanese is just all the cliches of our angst... turning into something you never expected to."

So no, the Vapors' song isn't about dick-whittling (masturbation/penis joke quota met). It's simply about a man who has taped hundreds of pictures of a woman he's obsessed with around his tiny room as he plots to see her insides, and whose emotions can apparently transform him into a Japanese man like the Incredible Hulk."

'Jenny 867-5309' is about a prostitute (and is the reason why there's a law against using real phone numbers in fictional contexts)

Abra Ca Dabra by The Steve Miller Band

Other than some of the songs listed here by others? Lol, I had no idea Edge of Glory and Do the Hustle are sexual songs. Gah!

The first song I ever realized was actually about sex: AM to PM by Christina Milian. I was ten, humming the song under my breath, and then my friend stops me. "You know what that song is about, right?"

Another memorable instance was Right Round by Flo Rida. I spent years listening to that song. It was one of my favorites to dance to. Then someone here on AVEN pointed out that it was all about sex. I thought it was about shopping!

The most recent was For Your Entertainment. I had that stuck in my head for about a week before I got suspicious and looked up the lyrics. I was horrified and at this point I'm thinking the song is less about sex and more about corrective rape. Ugh. And it's sooooo catchy too. Some songs should just not have lyrics. At all.

Archived