Participants needed for a study on sexual and gender minority experiences

Notte stellata

Notte stellata

My name is Olivia Muse and I am Experimental Psychology graduate student at Western Carolina University; I am currently working with Mickey Randolph, who is a psychology professor at WCU.

Dr. Randolph and I are currently working on a research project that focuses on issues of individuals who self-identify as a sexual or gender identity minority. We hope this research will expand the current level of information and general knowledge that others have regarding asexuality. In particular, one of the areas that we hope to gain better insight into for this particular population is that of adolescent experiences for asexual people.

In taking this survey, we ask that you first read the consent form at the beginning fully.​ After the consent form, you will complete the M5-20 personality measure and an in-depth demographics questionnaire that looks at such topics as relationships, adolescent experiences, and perceptions of self. This will hopefully be the first of many research projects that will assist in expanding the literature regarding these topics.

Here is the link to the survey: https://wcu.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_ezYGLyNll8TjH01

We would like to thank the AVEN team and community for allowing us to do this research. We truly appreciate it and hope to add something meaningful to the conversation regarding the treatment and experiences of sexual and gender minorities.

Update on 2/26/2015:

I would like to thank everyone who participated in this study thus far. We greatly appreciate your sacrifice of time and your thoughtfulness in answering our questions. However, we currently need to remove the study until further notice. Something has come to our attention in regards to the survey that we must address before we can continue. Hopefully we will be able to re-open the study in the near future. Once again, we thank you for your time!

Update on 3/6/2015:

I would like to thank everyone for their time and patience involved with this study. We had some issues with our survey, but we believed they have all been resolved. We do not foresee any future issues, but we have also included a text box at the end of survey to leave any comments. We appreciate your time and efforts in helping us complete our study. Thank you!

This study has been approved for posting by the AVEN Project Team.

starrynight

Project Team

Nomad in Stasis

It seems like some of the questions are oddly vague or didn't have viable available answers to them while others seemed too specific.

• 2 weeks later...

That was a little strange, as between the ages of 12-16 I didn't actually identify as asexual (how could I know?) so any answers I filled to that were pretty irrelevant. There was also a bias towards telling people and how that impacts me, but I've only told one person and that was last year so that was pretty irrelevant too. I didn't identify as asexual until beyond adolescence. Would be interesting to know the answers though.

Was a bit difficult to answer that, because like Laurawrzz I didn't know asexuality even existed until much later. But still, hope my answers were helpful.

I found the part about your "natural parent's" I'm part of an open adoption, I know about my birth family well, but I never lived with them.

It was hard to answer those questions.

The parent questions were very strange, particularly the divorce ones. There wasn't any 'n/a' response to those. ._.

And I didn't have any friends between the ages of 12-16, so those ones were easy! :D

• 1 month later...

That was a long survey! :o I hope the results can help promote asexual awareness though, it would have been really nice to know more about it in junior high.

• 1 month later...
Notte stellata

The researchers wish more participants could fill out the survey, because they lost some data due to the previous issues with the survey. If you haven't participated yet and would like to, your help will be appreciated.

littlepersonparadox

Filled it out. I had to think back and try to remember what i was feeling back then and that was only 4 years ago. At least I was able to answer all the questions honestly.

Sent on my response. My biggest query was what to put for friends' ages when I was 12-16.

Mostly they didn't stay the same age for 5 years :lol:

Skycaptain

Survey done, thanks

allrightalready

at 52 my memories of things around puberty are vivid but i don't know how close they are to what outside observers would say happen but i answered as best i could

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting survey, wish I'd have known I was asexual back then.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting survey, wish I'd have known I was asexual back then.

Me too. I didn't even know what it was until recently. I assumed asexuals didn't get aesthetic crushes or want romantic, non sexual relationships, so I didn't identify at all. When I found out it was literally just not wanting sex and the rest of it we were the same I was like oohhhhhh that's so me. I could have saved myself so much nonsense if I'd known.

And I didn't have any friends between the ages of 12-16, so those ones were easy! :D

Yeah, also my memory is pretty bad so this was really hard work to my poor brain, bad memories go away instantly(?)

Some questions were hard to answer, only have the option of five siblings while I have seven (also some step ones), some my mothers and some my fathers. A lot of the questions did not give much choice and were difficult to answer about my family. Some were a bit to specific as well and made me careful about responding, still tried to be as honest as I could

Yeah, also my memory is pretty bad so this was really hard work to my poor brain, bad memories go away instantly(?)

I found that section hard, because when I was 12, I had friends who were 11, 10, 12, 11, and 14, but by the time I was 16, three of them were gone and I just had the 11 and 12 year olds left but they were 15 and 16 by then....

Archived