Tiny mentions that don't deserve their own thread (2015 version)

ithaca

CosineTheCat

Unable to fully embrace

july 14th, 2015

Over the weekend, I bumped into a fan. The fan asked me why after nearly 18 months of writing I had neglected to write about LGBTQ issues and Pride. I responded that given what befalls those who question the current consensus, and given my socially conservative bent, I thought it best to keep silent. The fan, head shaking, said, "that sounds like special treatment to me." Perhaps I've been baited, perhaps editor Neil Godbout will fire me, but here are my thoughts on the topic.

It must be said that LGBTQ rights as manifested today are an incredible political achievement. What would have been unspeakable just a generation ago and cause for certification or imprisonment two generations ago is now celebrated as Pride and draws public officials of every stripe. It is, quite frankly, the largest paradigm shift in Western history since the Reformation: the gender and sexual norms one is born into no longer dictate life's course.

This point is both more drastic and more important than first meets the eye. Even in pagan times of old, manifestations of non-normative gender and sexual activity were customarily relegated to very specific parts of society: the bonding within certain classes or professions, the usefulness of asexual servants in a palace, and even the celebration of certain gods or seasons.

But compartmentalization of LGBTQ activity to society's fringes - even when self-imposed - has been obliterated. With strong and unrelenting voices, many people from all walks of life now proclaim that issues of pride, inclusion, and diversity must become universal credos. The rainbow flag is hoisted tall at town halls, monuments, and businesses. Even Mr. P.G. is apparently on board.

Perhaps Bob Dylan was right - the times, they are a changin'.

And yet, I remain unconvinced. Yes, it is arguable that the world has become "more tolerant" in a legalistic, perhaps even cultural sense. But between the several unanswered questions and blatant contradictions caused by human nature, I find myself unable to fully embrace what is now lauded as the highest precepts of secular democracy.

For example, I do not believe the question of choice versus biology regarding orientation, gender, or attraction has been settled; and what's more, I believe several people on both sides of the LGBTQ rights issue are knowingly sidestepping the philosophical quandary at hand: if it is a matter of choice, then it can be argued over just like any other choice humans make; and if it is a matter of biology, then issues of evolutionary survival and behaviorism rear their ugly heads.

Further to this, Nietzsche's warning about "becoming the monster you hunt" starts to ring true after an even cursory glance at some tactics implemented by die-hard supporters and lobbyists on behalf of LGBTQ issues: outing public figures, bullying on social and traditional media, lawsuits, grandstanding, shameless slander and libel. Yes, it's true all these methods have been used and are still used against the LGBTQ community. But do two wrongs make a right?

Even those within the LGBTQ camp are not immune to censorship and excommunication. One need only look at the late essayist Gore Vidal or the brilliant critic Camille Paglia's relationship with those in command of the LGBTQ movement to see that that the less "on message" one is, the less "tolerance" there is for you. Not exactly what I would call fair and open dialogue.

In short, I am well aware I am certainly inviting a deluge of criticism for what I've written here. But the mere fact that as tempered a meditation as what I've inked above will certainly draw accusations of bigotry goes to show just how entitled and paranoid the consensus on LGBTQ issues is. It is my understanding that every idea, concept, movement, and political person should be examined and tested. But perhaps it's naive to think such questions ought to be tolerated.

- See more at: http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/opinion/columnists/unable-to-fully-embrace-1.2000770#sthash.5SSx2wXN.dpuf

• 2 weeks later...

^ Great that Durham is on the list. I remember emailing them around 2008(?) to see if they included asexuals but I didn't get a reply, so I'm glad things have improved since then!

It doesn't specifically mention Asexuality, but this could prove that asexuality exists in the animal kingdom. A white tiger that doesn't want sex and is ignoring the sexual advances of the other tigers. Unfortunately, the tiger is labeled as "shy", but I really want someone to get into this. Because proving that homosexuality exists in the animal kingdom has been a large part of supporting evidence that it's normal.

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/indian-white-tiger-could-be-shy-mate

A Different Mononoke

Bbc Radio 4 this morning. Spent five minutes at the end of the program explaining asexuality after a friend of Edward Heath said he didn't think he was a child molester as he thought he was asexual.

This might just deserve a thread, but I'm not sure, so I'll post it here: Ashley Mardell's latest video (link) discusses whether "making out" is a romantic or sexual act. While the word asexual is never explicitly used, the pillows in the background appear to be the common 4-stripe ace pride flag.

mstarz

Miss Piggy, Kermit The Frog Break Up Response: Denise 'A Close Friend'

September 2nd, 2015

Kermit the Frog responds to dating rumors after ending his 40-year relationship with Miss Piggy. Photos of Kermit's new love interest, Denise -also another pig- has got a lot of Muppets fans upset about his new single status.

Rumors surfaced that the frog everyone loves is now dating ABC marketer named Denise, but our beloved Kermit says that they are "only friends" releasing a statement on his Twitter, "Sheesh. I can't believe I already have to do this again... Here is the official statement on my relationship status" he said, "While I prefer to keep my personal life private, this is Hollywood, so who am I kidding? It is true that I am dating again. However, at this time no one women-pig or otherwise-is y official "new girlfriend." We are simply close friends."
Well, Miss Piggy seem unbothered by her ex's relationship and took some time out to flirt with actor, William Shatner via Twitter who asked her if it was too soon for his advances . She responded, "Very much available, mon cher," she tweeted. "Gimme a call! I'd love to boldly go where no pig has gone before."
In an interview with the Television Critics Association in August, she explained, "Dating moi is like flying close to the sun," she added, "It was inevitable that Kermit would drop down to the ground while I stayed in the heavens."
@BrianFukushima tweeted, "Maybe kermit should be single and take some time for himself."
@granulac tweeted, "They're "giving kermit a new girlfriend"? what is he, tom cruise?"
@TheRealDratch tweeted, "I grew up with Kermit being a sweet, innocent and asexual frog. Who is behind turning Kermit into a dating frog bachelor?"
@HonestToddler tweeted, "Kermit's new girlfriend looks like she has an Instagram full of contouring tutorials."
What do you think of his "close friend?"

EmotionalAndroid

The virtual pet site Subeta (it's like Neopets only it also has a lot of human characters) just announced that two of its NPCs are asexual and are in a platonic relationship. It has, overall, received a very positive response! I was so happy to see that!

The Swiss movie/documentary Der Kreis (2014) aka The Circle has a small mention of asexuality, one of the character who is homosexual uses asexuality as a cover up back in the 40's.

I took a snapshot

The%20Circle%20-%20asexual%20mention_zps

Archived