Tiny mentions that don't deserve their own thread (2015 version)

ithaca

That's awesome. :)

And if one is asexy and also smells nice and such, perhaps one is Gidget (from the era in which Grease takes place). And she was played by Sandra Dee.

Grease had a skit about Sandra Dee, too (except that they were making fun of Sandra D and Sandra O):

That was too awesome not to share ;) Also, I've had the sound track stuck in my head ALL DAY LONG.

Oh summer days...

• 2 weeks later...

Was wandering YouTube and I came across this:

[video---]

I appreciate her intent to do visibility work, and her effort, but I honestly think the lyrics are quite bad. Can't say I like the song...

Scottthespy

I just discovered that one of my favorite youtubers is ace...TheMysteriousMrEnter, who does reviews. Mostly on MLP eppisodes, but he also has two series, one called "Admirable Animations", where he goes over some animated things that were just really well done, clearly thought out and lovingly made. The other is called "Animated Atrocities", in where he pulls apart, critically, episodes that are the epitome of bad writing for multiple reasons. During one of his Animated Atrocities, on the Fairly Odd Parents episode "Love Struck", he mentions twice, non nonchalantly, "Maybe its just because of my asexuality, but this is just stupid."

I've loved his show for a while, and finding out he's ace is like icing on the cake ;) .

I found this video while browsing through YouTube today. She's complaining about all the problems with the sexual education system, and around 1:40 she talks about how most of the times sexual orientations outside hetero and homosexual are ignored. There is a brief mention of asexuality :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uka6_TF0TFA

From a LGBT group in Southern Italy (WAND), posted on FB on Feb 26th:

10835110_803704876389054_584277923345402

• 2 weeks later...
Scottthespy

Was catching up on my webcomics when I cam across this. For some context, they are twin siblings, sorta (long story, involves multiple universes and such), and the guy is going on a first date with a girl he met at the mall:

1425934137-2015-03-09_c004b_advice.png

Source: http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2026

Actually...come to think of it, Elliot himself (the guy in that comic page) may be ace...the asexual Ellen (the girl) mentioned was an alien from another universe with cool telepathic powers, either bi or panromantic. Its hardt o explain my reasons behind Eliot being ace, but if you read the whole comic with it in mind, it sort of makes sense and even explains a few things.

The blog/website Everyday Feminism just posted this to their Facebook page: http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/10/5-myths-and-misconceptions-about-asexuality/
The comic itself isn't new, I know I've seen it before but still. (Actually they mention asexuality and aromanticism in several of their articles.)

Debunking 5 Common Myths About Asexuality
October 19, 2014 by Adri Tibbs

Originally published on Adri of the Dead and cross-posted here with their permission.

There seems to be quite a lot of confusion about asexuality. Common beliefs are that it’s the same thing as celibacy, that all asexual people have been abused, and that asexuals don’t experience oppression — none of which are true.

So let’s clear the air about the “A” in LGBTQIA+. Check out this comic to learn the truth about some common myths about asexuality.

ace-1-e1413347760798.png
ace-2-e1413347808281.png
ace-3-e1413347843810.png
ace-5-e1413347904437.png
ace-6-e1413347939568.png
ace-7-e1413347985536.png
ace-8-e1413348019126.png
ace-9-e1413348057244.png
ace-10-e1413348102380.png
ace-11-e1413348135510.png
ace-12.png

Dodecahedron314

Just stumbled upon something on Buzzfeed that's basically a list of a lot of sentiments I've seen bandied about here among the aro/ace crowd, except they don't actually use either term, just "not the relationship type". Still, nice to know that they're actually acknowledging that such people exist. Some of these make no sense, but others are pretty on point, even if it's a mostly lighthearted listicle (I hear that's what they call them nowadays).

http://www.buzzfeed.com/maggyvaneijk/i-will-do-anything-for-love-lol-joke-no-i-wont

Mycroft is Yourcroft

A new song 'Spectrum' by artist boyinaband features a visual representation of the asexual flag briefly in the music video.

Quite aside from the mention, I think it's a great, supportive song for people who are lost or confused about some aspect of themselves that is different.

Ahh, I love boyinaband, and this song makes me respect him so much more! It's a great song; thanks for sharing! :D

It doesn't actually mention Asexuality; mention refers to speaking or writing about something; by its name or definition. You can just see the ace flag with 3 others below the words "coming out isn't only about being gay." It does label the flags but nothing in the video makes asexuality unavoidable to see. A more accurate word is that Asexuality had a cameo in the video and possible vague verbal reference. He does say "special snowflake," but idk if he's talking about Asexuality or Pansexuality which was one of the 4 flags. It could even be applied to bisexuals.

Btw, Minx is gay and Cry is Pansexual.

Guest Sheka4

It doesn't really mention asexuality at all, the main focus of the video is on homosexuality and if you watch the credits at the end, he does adress the main focus of the song/video. So while the song, video, and message are great. Don't go into expecting a mention on asexuality.

I think the fact the asexual flag is on there at all is pretty cool. And this is 'tiny mentions that don't deserve their own thread' after all. It does what it says on the tin.

Good spot Mycroft!

AshenPhoenix

A new song 'Spectrum' by artist boyinaband features a visual representation of the asexual flag briefly in the music video.

Quite aside from the mention, I think it's a great, supportive song for people who are lost or confused about some aspect of themselves that is different.

Do you know if this band ever did a cameo with another band called Feint? I could've swore I've seen the name on their song Time Bomb

I think the fact the asexual flag is on there at all is pretty cool. And this is 'tiny mentions that don't deserve their own thread' after all. It does what it says on the tin.

Good spot Mycroft!

This; the Boyinaband song, was originally its own thread; it was combined, and the title and OP do say mention. The word tiny in the thread title is redundant because that is already what a mention is.

Good spot Mycroft!

This was originally its own thread; it was combined, and the title and OP do say mention. The word tiny in the thread title is redundant because that is already what a mention is.
There are big mentions, and there are tiny mentions. I was the one who started this, btw.

Best thing ever

• 2 weeks later...

This is from North Dakota, and is states:

Joe Curry, one of the worker-owners of the Red Raven Espresso Parlor, posted a newspaper page in the shop earlier this month that showed the 55 Republican state House members who rejected a bill that would have prohibited discrimination based on sexual orientation in housing, government, public services and the workplace. It was accompanied by a sign saying the legislators were banned “unless accompanied by a lesbian, gay, bisexual or transsexual, queer, intersex or asexual person”.

HOLY CRAP! I SHAT MYSELF WHEN I SAW THIS!

House MD. Season 8. Episode 9. Time 5:00

I was watching, and it was AWESOME! Because you were just WAITING to see if they'd use the world.

Doctor Wilson: We'll to a pregnancy test

Patient: I'm not pregnant.

Doctor Wilson: Any type of birth control can fail

Patient: Not mine!

Doctor Wilson: Oh... I'm sorry... You said you were married

Patient: Yeah. Happily

Doctor Wilson: It's okay. Sex can wane in any marriage over time.

Patient: No. No. We've never had sex. We kiss and cuddle, but neither one of us is interested in sex.

Doctor Wilson: ... You're both celibate

Patient: No. Neither of us. Celibacy is a choice. This is our orientation.

Doctor Wilson: ...

Patient: We're asexual

Doctor Wilson: ...I'm not sure what box to check here...

HOLY CRAP! HOLY CRAP! HOLY CRAP!

It's amazing because you were just WAITING TO SEE IF THEY'D USE THE WORD. Just waiting! Because so many people skirt around it. But, no. They lay it on thick and true! The best part is that it's true. No stereotypes or anything! Juts a slice of truth!

Edit: Nevermind. They continued the episode, and the girl was pretending because the guy thought he was, btu the guy only was because of a brain tumor that suppressed his libido. It had everything right until it decided to "disprove" it. Now I'm sad.

House MD. Season 8. Episode 9. Time 5:00

Yeah, the House episode sparked quite some controversy in the asexual community a few years ago when it first aired. But it also brought lots and lots of newbies and questioning people who had never heard the word before. So, silver lining ;)

Archived