• Announcements

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sarika

How to support this site?

Sarika

So I've looked around and I haven't seen any means of donating to this site or any other means of fiscally supporting it. Even if I didn't come back tomorrow, I love what this site and the forum has given to me and I'd love to throw a few dollars to help keep it going. Since there are no advertisments, thank you, do the admins support the whole site or am I utterly mssing something for forum users to help by?

Serran

They are trying to get AVEN made into a NPO but until then, they have said there will be no donations and / or other ways for us to help pay. :( David Jay doesn't want all that money going into his personal finances. I've been wanting to help with upgrade costs and such as well!

There are other ways to support though, such as reporting posts or PMs that break the rules, helping other members and volunteering for moderator positions if you got what it takes.

michaeld
Thanks for your post. For the time being watch this space. We should have an announcement along these line shortly. :)

Mycroft is Yourcroft

Don't forget too, that AVEN has a store that will be re-opening soon, of which the proceeds will help fund AVEN :)

marki

Why would they need money?

.Lia

To pay for server costs, site upgrades, etc. The chat extension costs money per year, as does our domain. We would also be able to possibly expand the forums, and perhaps in the future have a dedicated technical staff that didn't consist of only one awesomesauce person.

To pay for server costs, site upgrades, etc. The chat extension costs money per year, as does our domain. We would also be able to possibly expand the forums, and perhaps in the future have a dedicated technical staff that didn't consist of only one awesomesauce person.

Don't you mean awesomesalad? :P

marki

You don't need the funds......if you did you'd make an AVEN kick start program to try to cover it. And I'd never give you people a cent of my money after the way you've treated me. Have fun trying to make your dollars.

michaeld

Needless to say, all donations will be voluntary. AVEN will never be a pay-for site.

Concerning just the last few years, the cost of running the site and making AVEN related events happen has run to 10s of thousands of dollars, and has largely been paid for by a few members on the teams. Believe me, none of us are here to make money out of AVEN.

You don't need the funds......if you did you'd make an AVEN kick start program to try to cover it. And I'd never give you people a cent of my money after the way you've treated me. Have fun trying to make your dollars.

Actually it will be fun raising funds....it will also give an opportunity for members to make things such as t-shirts, mugs and even media dedicated to AVEN.

Naosuu

You don't need the funds......if you did you'd make an AVEN kick start program to try to cover it.

To my knowledge, even though AVEN is a registered NPO, any cash given to it is not tax deductible nor is it exempted from tax. Meaning even if there was a kickstarter or some kind of crowdsourcing/funding campaign, the cash raised would be subject to taxes. Which wouldn't make sense to do, given AVEN is not-for-profit.

There are still some additional steps to be taken before donations are tax-deductible and exempted from federal tax, but AVEN is just not there yet.

Serran

Because running a website costs money. There are no ads, so the money is coming out of the pockets of a few people on the team. And it's COSTLY. Some of us who use the website and appreciate it existing would like to help ease the burden and make the website better. But, due to tax issues, we can't yet. :(

marki

I'm not particularly going to be crying knowing that a few people are having to pay for it.

deltaX

marki, even if you have no interest in donating yourself, I'd don't see the harm in the site accepting donations from those who are interested. As long as the donations are voluntary (it's already been said that they would be), you could just not donate and the decision to accept donations would have affect on you at all.

Personally, I feel bad that the site is paid for by such a small subset of people, and would certainly consider making a donation if AVEN's tax issues are ever worked out. :)

marki

Because people who donate will be treated better than others by the admods.

Sarika

I hardly think spending $10 will get someone special treatment, and if they buy from the store no one would even know they supported. Also it's usually the case in any large site that it is stated very clearly that donation does not exempt one from corrctive action including banning, and that donations are non-refundable.

Kisa the Kit Kat

As much as I love the site, I have zero money to help pay for it. The times I do have money I save up for big things (world pride was an investment for example).

I don't think I will treat donors any differently than non donors and the other admods are probably the same way.

michaeld

Most likely, admods will not be able to see who has donated, so unless people post about it they won't know.

Vivaldi Ives

It seems like donations could easily be set up through a PayPal account, which I would guess for many/most people would not have the same username as their AVEN account, so anonymity could be fairly well preserved! Especially since the mods will likely have nothing to do with collecting the donations. And if you're concerned about privacy/anonymity...don't donate then? No one will be expected or pressured to donate.

Xavy

Hey, I am happy and quite able to assist AVEN finacially if necessary. No member who is not in a position to help should ever be made to feel badly about it, not that I think that will happen.

Serran

Admods aren't likely to even know, it'll probably all go through DJ when it happens. And if they do know, they'll probably only see usernames of whatever donation site they are using (paypal emails, or whatever kickstarter thing, etc) and it wouldn't be linked to the forum user name. And I seriously doubt me putting $5 into a paypal account or something would make admods treat me better even if somehow they could tell it was me from some list of donors (most of the donation things allow anonymous donations though which I usually go for anyway cause... who wants their real name posted anywhere...)

Perseus

Be active on the site and post stuff.

Sally

I wonder why you're here if you have such a low opinion of AVEN.

marki

Maybe because I still hope that someday it will go back to being awesome like it was when I first came here. I've met great people here and have learned some wonderful things. Just because I fucking can't stand what it has become recently doesn't mean I'm going to abandon all hope of it someday being good again.

Sally

Maybe because I still hope that someday it will go back to being awesome like it was when I first came here. I've met great people here and have learned some wonderful things. Just because I fucking can't stand what it has become recently doesn't mean I'm going to abandon all hope of it someday being good again.

Do you think that constant criticism of AVEN's mods/admins and using some rather vicious words about AVEN generally will help it become awesome again?

marki

I'm allowed to hate the admods on this site for how they have become. I'm allowed to be critical of them for how they have treated people. And as much as you may not like it I am allowed to voice my disgust with certain topics on this site as well. So yes, bringing the problems out into the open so they can be addressed is important.

float on

I feel it is important to create a safe place for every person on aven. when an individual does not feel safe, why try to silence them?

Serran

I'm allowed to hate the admods on this site for how they have become. I'm allowed to be critical of them for how they have treated people. And as much as you may not like it I am allowed to voice my disgust with certain topics on this site as well. So yes, bringing the problems out into the open so they can be addressed is important.

Constructive criticism helps. Making things up like "If you donate, the admods will know and then you will be treated better than anyone else!" ... doesn't do anything, except make people less inclined to take you seriously when you discuss something you see as a serious issue. If you feel there has been favortism from the admods over something, keep a log of it and post about it in site comments with evidence. And actual evidence, like screenshots, not paraphrasing posts from memory.

Kumoku

Sweetie, as someone who runs forums myself, allow me to give you a break-down of how much a site like this might cost:

*Everything is in US dollars*

1) Domain names (depending on who you go to, can range from anywhere from 2-10 doller per month)

2) Server costs (IPB says prices range from 20-590+ dollars PER MONTH)

3) Extensions that are possibly paid for (just read here cbox cost money, the service I use is about 2 dollar per month)

I know for my own board, it cost about 9.99 dollars a month, due to server costs.

There's ways to make donations 100% anonymous (paypal only lets you see amount given and e-mail associated with the amount given). Sometimes sites give "perks" to donations, just to try to help encourage more donations.

On this alone, this can range from 32-602 dollars, PER MONTH. If this is all coming out of ONE person's paycheck, this can quickly turn into an expensive thing. Also, if you have a personal vendetta against the mods, there's a reason we have private messages, take your beef with them to PM, don't drag it out in public :l