Books, any readers here?

Cate Perfect

How many books do you read for fun a month?  

1 member has voted

1. 1.

• 5+
    • 2-4
    • Nada
    • I only read books for school
    • Less than one a month

This poll is closed to new votes

I used to read alot, not as much as the speed readers, but I've cuaght up with all the authors I like. :( And before anyone starts saying to "read book x, its a classic" know that I almost exclusively read hard science fiction.

for the poll: At my previous job I read a book or 2 a week for about 18-20 months.

To the people who liked Neil Gaiman, he also has a book entitled Neverwhere which is fantastic, it's one of those books where you get sucked in and forget where/who you are until you have to put the book down and reacclimate yourself to the world.

Another book like that was Donna Tartt's The Secret History, about a group of Classics students in New England who off one of their classmates. The Bone People sounds interesting, what's that about?

I love Neverwhere. Its a fantastic book, and you'll never look at the London Underground in the same way again.

Im currently reading "Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrell" by Susanna Clarke (I think thats her name), and have just finished "Mirror Mirror" by Gregory Maguire. Both are really good.:)

Im lucky as I work in a bookshop and can borrow books to read from there.

Im currently reading "Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrell" by Susanna Clarke (I think thats her name), and have just finished "Mirror Mirror" by Gregory Maguire. Both are really good.:)

I work in a bookshop, too. :D

I love Gregory Maguire, but I haven't read that one. I did adore his Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West which was subsequently turned into a musical.

And I keep picking up that Johnathan Strange book--it looks right up my alley. How is it?

You and I like the same sorts of books, I think. :D

Cate

I work in a bookshop, too. :D

I love Gregory Maguire, but I haven't read that one. I did adore his Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West which was subsequently turned into a musical.

And I keep picking up that Johnathan Strange book--it looks right up my alley. How is it?

You and I like the same sorts of books, I think. :D

Cate

Its really good, although it takes a while to get into as there aren't really any instantly likeable characters. The style of writing reminds me a lot os Neil Gaimans "Stardust", thiugh I don't know why.

Ive also just bullied my Mum and Dad into both reading "His Dark Materials". Thankfully they both loved it. Ha ha.

I also loved "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire. His other book "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" is pretty good too. I only discovered his books when I was in America 2 years ago. They don't seem to be very big over here.

Metaleaf dan Blorie

I think one of my favourite books would be Terry Pratchett's Small Gods. If you liked Good Omens, chances are you'll like this one - although it's different, as it doesn't have Neil's dark touch. Anyone else here read Neil Gaiman's weblog? I'm guessing you do, maia, as I think he recommended Johnathan Strange and Mr Norrell a while ago. I must read that one.

Currently reading (I mutitask when it comes to reading):

To Green Angel Tower Part 1 by Tad Williams - third in a trilogy. Can you believe that this final book was so big in hardcover they had to split it in two for paperback release? I originally read the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series in hardcover . . . those books can be used as doorstops. Or to brain one's opponent. Same goes for most of Tad's work.

Virgil's Aeneid, John Dryden translation. Epic poetry is a blast. I keep having to look things up in Bulfinch's Mythology (read that a few weeks ago) and Brewer's Concise Dictionary of Phrase and Fable.

Film Directing Shot by Shot: Visualizing from Concept to Screen. Films aren't really my area, but I figure it'll teach me something about storyboarding. And more knowledge is rarely a bad thing.

Metaleaf dan Blorie

Ooh! You've read Stardust, too? The Charles Vess illustrated version?

His Dark Materials is also extremely good. Congrats on getting Philip Pullman some more fans!

Ooh! You've read Stardust, too? The Charles Vess illustrated version?

His Dark Materials is also extremely good. Congrats on getting Philip Pullman some more fans!

I can't wait for the "Book of Dust" to be released by him, (Philip Pullman I mean). Looks like its going to be a bit of a wait though...

Yes, Ive only got the regular edition of Stardust but I have read the illustrated edition. I also love Neil Gaimans "American Gods". Fantastic book. And apparently David Finchner wants to turn it into a film!! Horay!

Speak ing of Neil Gaiman...have you seen the trailer for the new film "Mirrormask"? It was written by him, and directed by Dave McKean who had done a lot of artwork for Gaimans stuff. It looks incredible!

Metaleaf dan Blorie

YES I want to see Mirrormask.

You've read both Stardust versions - is the illustrated one edited by much? If it is, I'll probably pick up a prose-only version.

Did you know that Stardust was (very) loosely based on Dickens' Great Expectations? I've read both, and I can kind of sort of see it. If I squint.

Is Book of Dust in the same universe as Dark Materials? Seeing as it involves dust, I'm guessing so, but I haven't heard much about it.

I didn't like American Gods as much as I liked the rest of Neil's work, for some reason. I don't know. I still enjoyed it - very much so. Perhaps it was just too cool for me.

Yes, Book of Dust is the sequel (of sorts) to His Dark Materials, but its going to be a collection of short stories and other stuff rather than a novel. Apparently the stoiries will include the 1st meeting between Lord Asriel and Mrs Coulter, and a story about when Lee Scoresby and Iorek Brynison fought together in the war.

I think that the illustrated version of Stardust was edited but I can't remember by how much. The novel is definetely worth reading.

By the way, did you know that the tree character in Stardust was based on Tori Amos? Neil Gaiman did it as a favour to her for letting him stsy at her house while he was writing Neverwhere.

You need more options.

I actually read less at uni. I hate forced reading, although last night I began on Tom Stoppard's play 'Arcadia' and....well, it's quite good so far!

Am also a Harry Potter fan, got into that quite late as I refused to follow the crowds!

Am currently attempting the Italian verion of PoA. Heh.

I also like Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld Series. Hard to get into at first and has a few explicit sex scenes, but once you get past that it's a great read.

Anne Rice is....ok. Well, I like one of her books.

I read many things when I have the energy and time. Exceot for anything I HAVE to read. The moment I feel pressure my mind finds something trivial far more interesting.

SO really it depends on the book.

If it's a good book it can take me 2-3 days.

But no idea about monthly as I have to find a few good books to get into!

I need to find my copy of Fear and Loathing. I fancy trying that one again.

*looks through piles of unfinished books*

And lovely bones. Have to get round to that! Might do it before this weekend and have a sexy book chat with mum and her sisters....

If anyone's curious, I've just read James McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom, which is a huge history of the Civil War. McPherson is wonderful at transitioning, a look at his work is worth that alone.

I'm in the process of reading The Impending Crisis by David Potter. Potter was the president of the American Historical Association and died in 1971. Yes, the book is old but important.

The last novel I read was Arthur Koestler's Darkness at Noon.

I plan on reading another soon, though.

I've read portions of Marcel Proust's Remembrance of Things Past, but like many people, I've never finished it.

douglas coupland is my absolute favourite and microserfs in particular. eleanor rigby, his new one, is awesome too.

i love neal stephenson, but am admitting defeat with the baroque cycle - too heavy for the bus and too intimidating in length! i aim to finish them before i die...

In school times, I read much less. Like 1 book a month. The rest of the time, I'll read 2 or so a month.

My favorite authors so far are John Irving and Amy Tan. Favorite books from those two are "The Hotel New Hampsure" (sp?) and "The Joy Luck Club".

I obviously love fiction. :) But also fantasy. (Non of which I can remember at the moment.)

I love reading. Unfortunately, I don't read for fun when school is in session because it sets me back. But over the summer I was reading like 6 or 7 every month. I think I read a total of 20 or something.

Am also a Harry Potter fan, got into that quite late as I refused to follow the crowds!

Am currently attempting the Italian verion of PoA. Heh.

And lovely bones. Have to get round to that! Might do it before this weekend and have a sexy book chat with mum and her sisters....

Lol me too. I was always really sceptical of the whole Harry Potter phenomenon, but I read Prisoner of Azkaban when I was backpacking and had to (grudgingly) admit that I enjoyed it.

I loved the first 3rd of Lovely Bones, but it seemed to lose its steam after that, and I had to really force myself to read the rest. I hope you enjoy it though.

It was Prisoner of Azkasban that converted me too!

I'd read the first two when I had the flue but sort of forgot about it, then I borrowed the next two offmy brother, read them in one weekend and was hooked!

Metaleaf dan Blorie

Heh, I was converted to Potterdom by The Goblet of Fire . . . our neighbour decided to lend it to me, and I read it in one weekend. I think I scared her slightly :twisted:

douglas coupland is my absolute favourite and microserfs in particular.

I love that book - I NEED to read it again, considering I'll shortly be working in a technology industry, even if it's as an artist. I even made the lego man that's on the cover. It kept falling apart.

What's Eleanor Rigby about? I can guess from the title, but I could be wrong . . .

Yes, Book of Dust is the sequel (of sorts) to His Dark Materials, but its going to be a collection of short stories and other stuff rather than a novel.

Oh my! Must read. Ursula K. LeGuin did the same manner of thing for her Earthsea series recently . . . haven't read that one yet. Meaning to.

I knew that the tree in Stardust was Tori, but only after I did some research. Love her music, although one of her songs always makes me have a nervous breakdown. I love the fact that the tree's leaves were red in the illustrated version . . . she refers to Neil a lot in her songs, too. "Where's Neil when you need him?" "If you need me, me an' Neil'll be hangin' out with the Dream King."

I devour about 10-15 books/ month, if you count university required readings... and study related stuff. It's all really good stuff though.

I just finished writing a paper on Good Omens for a cultural theory class. BEST BOOK EVER!!

Favourites:

Good Omens

Wheel of Time Series (except the last book that came out)

Tales of the Otori (Trilogy)

Farnhams Freehold

underminethewalls

Wow, I love books and read so much! We are actually about to launch a radical lending library out of our home, we've collected and catalogued over 200 books with about 300 more on the way, all of which are high quality and many are hard to find. I often feel like I read to much, and it gets in the way of actually doing. Currently I'm reading The Redneck Manifesto by Jim Goad. Its blowing away so many preconceptions. Highly recommended. I'd be very hard pressed to name a favorite, though, or even a short-list of favorites. There's too many.

Ahhhh, BOOKS! And reading!

I live by myself but not alone...some13000 plus books are shelved and piled round my home. Used to read 3-4 booksa day (deterirating eyesight means I'm reduced to one or 2.)

Over the last week have read - Terry Pratchett's (love the man's work!)

"The Wee Free Men: Justina Robson's"Natural History"; Witi Ihimaera's

"Sky Dancer". Kelly Ana Morey's "Grace Is Gone" (all fiction, all to one degree or another, fantasy) and "The Best of Faulkner" chosen by the author II'd forgotten how grim his work could be..) Rereading William Blake (I do this every couple of years or so) for the poetry. Nonfiction: "Mutants" Armand Leroi

(a compassionate and erudite work I recommend to everyone who is at all interested in the subject); "Seashore Ecology of NZ and the Pacific" by John Morton, the doyen of this field here; "Unknown Oman". Wendell Phillips, and "Gilbert Mair, Te Kooti's Nemesis" by Ron Crosby.

To say that I am a catholic and eclectic reader is somewhat of an understatement...but I especially love anything to do with natural history, archaeology; NZ works, especially those dealing with Maori, and history; human behaviours (have "Sickened" on my to-get-or-borrow list e Cate Perfect) and science-for-laypeople with heavy emphasis on evolution and cosmology.

My relaxo reading is fantasy and general fiction, paticularly NZ fiction.

And yes indeed, Pullman, Egan, LeGuin, Pratchett,, Bear, Robson, Garner, Waugh (anybody else come across the Mennyms?) are all superb...people may notice that I enjoy books written for children quite happily -

kia ora - Islander9, who thinks all of us who enjoy reading have been given a wonderous gift-

I just love reading, basically grew up in a library and it's hard to pass a bookshop without at least have a quick look around. To leave without at least one book is almost impossible.

Best book ever is difficult to say although the old, well known LOTR has been with me for quite a while and I still love it. Pratchett is cool, love the discworld series and "Jonny and the dead", etc. Haven't read "Good Omens" yet but it's on the list. Non fiction favorite is S. J. Gould (essays on natural history, Darwinism, etc.) and C. Sagan. For the Frenchspeakers amongst us: Bernhard Werber (les fourmis, etc.) and Daniel Pennac (au bonheur des ogres, etc.) are top!

The last book I read was Guy Gavriel Kay's The Lions of Al-Rassan

Have you read any of his other works?

He's one of my favourite authors, but I too didn't care for Lions...

What's Eleanor Rigby about? I can guess from the title, but I could be wrong . . .

you'd be close. it's about an older lady who leads a kind of solitary existence. but being douglas coupland it's a whole lot more than that.

enjoy when you get your hands on a copy! :)

Ooh, that sounds fantastic. I love books about solitary people.

I'll have to look that one up. Thanks! :D

Cate

I love to read for fun, but I don't think I read as much as I should. I love fantasy, but sadly there's just hardly anything out there that interests me anymore. I mainly stick to Pratchett these days... liked Pullman, too. I didn't know he had another book out. I'll have to get it now... I loved his world and always wanted to know more about it.

If anyone's got some good non-formula fantasy to throw at me, I'll snap it up.

Have you read any Iain Banks? His sci-fi is under Iain M. Banks, but he also has some good fiction with a sci-fi/fantasy bent. Walking on Glass is excellent.

Cate

i like the fact that sex is usually incidental in coupland's books (and 'eleanor rigby' is kind of asexual actually!).

i like the few iain banks i have read. and my boss is trying to persuade me to read terry pratchett, but i'm afraid there are too many and i'll have to read them all back to back!

:)

Archived