Books, any readers here?

Cate Perfect

How many books do you read for fun a month?  

1 member has voted

1. 1.

• 5+
    • 2-4
    • Nada
    • I only read books for school
    • Less than one a month

This poll is closed to new votes

I could read so much if it was online if only I could get all my books online like books from the library.

I grew up without cable... so I read for fun from the age of 3ish on. I still read all the time... so that puts me in the 5+ category... although I'd say counting books for school, it's closer to 10

I go to book camp. No seriously, I do.

Aww... I love books and reading, but I find it hard to actually get into something and then finish it. So sometimes I can read a few books a month(slow reader :blush: )and other times I go months without reading a book. I get so picky too...

In the end, I think I'm more in love with the idea of books than what I actually find out there.

I taught myself how to read when I was 2, and I never stopped. Sadly, it's had to slow down in recent years because of high school and uni, but I'm definitely still a bookworm.

If anyone hasn't read Watership Down by Richard Adams, go read it. It's been my favourite book ever since I first picked it up at my old school's library over a decade ago.

A good series to get into is the Old Kingdom Trilogy, by Garth Nix. The three books in said trilogy are Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen.

I'm also slowly reading my way through Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. Up to Memnoch The Devil.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy reading my kind of book, Fantasy Epics. But I read only for pleasure and when I have the time to get thoroughly into the novel without interuptions. So I read less than a book a month.

Books... :rolleyes: That's a good one. Next you're going to want me to start riding in a horse and buggy and playing Woodie Guthrie on 45's, right?

Actually I read quite a few books. I went through the whole Warrior series a few months ago (it's about a bunch of feral cats who kill each other to settle their ridiculously insignificant differences). Now I'm being forced to read Huck Finn, but it isn't so bad... :P

recently i've only read two: harry potter and the deathly hallows in english, harry potter and the deathly hallows in chinese...

maybe it sounds like one, but i count that two...

Angelica Soprano

I seem to be an oddball in that I find reading on a screen so much better than a book? I realise most would disagree. I spend a lot of hours online and it's constant reading, so I suppose I would read the equivalent to a few books a week? I know this isn't the same, but I've just no time to read books.

Plus I have the option to make the font the size and type that I find easier, so why struggle over dimly lit books?

In ye olde days I used to read books, but the holding the goddam pages open with weights and such, was a pain in the knickers anyway.

BaronTheCat

It depends on whether I find any books I want to read or not. This month I've found several. Often I don't find many. I read mostly non-fiction and manga nowadays though I used to read lots of fiction when I was younger.

A month? How about a week? Just 5 a month seems, erm, very low for the highest option. I'd say I read about 10 in an average week, and although about half of those are just for academics, the leftovers are still way higher than 5 a month.

So I guess I read around 40 a month. 20 for enjoyment.

from about 10 until maybe 23, i was reading at least three books a WEEK. i guess i ran out of stuff i wanted to read that badly, or i prefer to take my time now. i read a few books and they were SO GOOD i had to go really slow, also since they were really emotional. took me more than a month for each one.

plus, i write. i find i can't write if i'm reading other people's books.

Puzzle_chick

I love books! Reading is one of my favourite things to do, unfortunately I'm out of good books to read right now. I've already re-read all the ones here. I need to go to the library soon. ^_^

Voracious reader here. My reading haibits vary. But Iusually read around 5 books a month most months. I read anything that sparks my interest really. I read mostly current event stuff, and fiction though. My favorite book of all time would have to be Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan. which is odd, because it is sci-fi(or cyber punk) and I usually dont find much sci-fi that I enjoy. If anyone is interested he wrote 2 more books following that one, with the same main character.

As to recently. I have just finised reading The 6 Sacred Stones by Mathew Reilly. it is kind of like The Da Vinci code crossed with the movie Crank. If anyone knows what im talking about. I am currently working on a fun vampire novel.

Used to be 5+/month when I had more free time, now that I have perpetual work to do it's about 1 or 2 per month (not counting my mathbooks, which I will constantly look stuff up in until I've memorized them).

I mainly read science fiction/fantasy. Last book I finished was "Thief of Time" by Terry Pratchett, it was most awesome (déja fu - the kung fu technique where your hands move through time as well as space!). Other than Pratchett I'm very much into a lot of high fantasy and cyberpunk. Also Doctor Who extended universe books (which are sometimes much better than the new series <_< (then again I much prefer the old series to the new))

Also occasionally there are mathbooks that combine being interesting and well-written to the point where I will attempt to read them through in one pass (Paul Halmos'sz Measure Theory comes to mind). This rarely works, due to having to think, sometimes a lot about the concepts in question before you understand them, but it's still fun.

Used to read lots. Now, not so many.

• 4 weeks later...

Most of my books I read are reference books, and I read only parts, not the whole thing from start to finish.

Guest the_random_squirrel

i love reading :) i'd do it more often were it not for school and work, but many spare moments are spend with book in hand

ratatosk_lemur

Before college I probably read fifteen to twenty books a month for fun. I've been significantly busier in college, though, and also have spent a lot more time reading online (going from AOL dialup to a campus network connection makes reading things online a lot more practical), and went down to perhaps two or three a month. I've been reading a good deal more since becoming assistant librarian for my school's science fiction library, though, since I keep stopping to read the books that I'm supposed to be shelving.

• 10 months later...

I go through times when I read a lot and times when I read hardly anything. I've been looking at the book revies in the library section of aven and there are someintriguing looking books listed there -that I'd really like to check out.

CamoQueen N MS

i love to read..i always have a book with me no matter where i go..lol i guess that makes me a nerd huh!? hahaha oh well.

• 1 year later...

Archived