Books, any readers here?

Cate Perfect

How many books do you read for fun a month?  

1 member has voted

1. 1.

• 5+
    • 2-4
    • Nada
    • I only read books for school
    • Less than one a month

This poll is closed to new votes

Cate Perfect

I love books. Love them. (But, you know, not in that 'special way' because that would be sick, not to mention the paper cuts!) So I'd like to know if you're reading anything right now, you're favourite books of all time, any book related things you'd care to add.

I recently read Michael Dibdin's Dirty Tricks and it was fantastic. It was a great book about why sex is bad (I'm sure that wasn't the point, but all of the main character's lives were ruined or ended because of sex, so there.) It's actually a murder-mystery except you know who did it because it's the narrator, the suspense comes in the way of wondering whether or not he'll get caught. Dibdin has a way with prose that is simple and beautiful. It was a page-turner, but not vacuous, which is nice from time to time.

xena_trade_center

best books of all time: the prophet (kahlil gibran), clan of the cave bear-the mamoth hunters - plains of passage (jean auel), how to make friends and influence people (cant remeber author).....

A really wierd one I'm reading now is the work of voltaire.. lol... he's so wierd.

I usually on reading binges . . . I won't read for a while, and then when the reading feeling hits me, I'll read book after book after book for a short period of time, and then I'll stop for another few months :?

And the Internet takes too much of my damn time too.

I love reading though. I wish I could do it more often.

:lol: Well, I just finished "Good Omens" last night....that was a great book. lol.

funny...about the end of the world...kinda...it's by terry pratchett and neil gaiman....good funny book....crowley is THE MAN....or demon...or fallen angel...or angel who did not so much as fall as saunter vaugley downwards...or what have you. anyway, the character is fun.

:lol: Well, I just finished "Good Omens" last night....that was a great book. lol.

I love Good Omens! Especially Crowley, Aziraphale, and the Horsepersons, and the other Horsepersons. And yes, for those of you who haven't read it, it's about the end of the world. . . gone wrong. The Antichrist got mixed up, and Crowley and Aziraphale -- a demon and an angel, respectively -- don't want to Apocaplypse to happen and attempt to stop it.

The last book I read was Guy Gavriel Kay's The Lions of Al-Rassan, and it wins a hearty thumbs down. Wildly uneven tone, cheap authorial tricks, and sexism. Steer clear, kiddies.

--Inkburrow

Dry, schoolary, scientific books are great. Also dictionaries, encyclopedias. I like useful books. And books with lots of pictures in them, like goodnight-stories, photo-books, fairy tales. I am not a big novel fan, because a lot of them are dead boring, aren't they? I collect all manga by Naoko Takeuchi.

Skiddaloxx

I'm in the same boat as Gorax on this. I won't read for a long period of time and then just start reading book after book. Right now, I'm reading The Bone People by Keri Hulme. And I am also rereading Microserfs by Douglas Coupland.

VivreEstEsperer

I love reading! :) this summer ive had a lot of chance to read which I love. I've read about one book every week this summer.

I just read The Bone People by Kerri Hulme (asexual character - check it out), and right now im reading a book about some football player who came out; this summer ive read books by david mixner, melissa etheridge, cant remember most of them :) a lot of memoirs by famous gay people if i could get my hands on them.

i enjoy how reading makes you forget everything -

Kate

also rereading Microserfs by Douglas Coupland

Oh? . . . Oh. Whew! Hehe thought you said "Microsoft" for a second there :P

The book is about a group of Microsoft employees who decide to start their own business and "get lives". It's actually very cool. I'm reading it again, which is actually pretty rare for me.

orderinchaos

Microsoft are dumbasses :P they can't build a secure OS to save their ass.

(just thought I'd blithely contribute that)

there was no option "from time to time"

I love reading books. My favorite is "The three musketeers" (spelling?)

I can still remember the day I read it. It was years ago, summer, nothing to do. I looked at the shelf and saw that book. I thought that the movie was great so book should be good too. It sucked me up. I read it during one day. I was eating and reading, reading in the bathroom, reading whole day. At mindinght my mom told me to turn the lights off and go sleep. So I turned the lights off, went to a bathroom and was reading there till 3 am. If you've seen that book, you know it's huge. I was proud of myself. hehe

The other great book that I've read recently is "Pay it forward." Beautyful. There is also a movie - great too. Must-read book, I'm telling you. (I just wanted to say 10 thumps up and I looked at my fingers, oh I don't have enough thumps :( ) Two thumps up :D

Cate Perfect

To the people who liked Neil Gaiman, he also has a book entitled Neverwhere which is fantastic, it's one of those books where you get sucked in and forget where/who you are until you have to put the book down and reacclimate yourself to the world.

Another book like that was Donna Tartt's The Secret History, about a group of Classics students in New England who off one of their classmates. The Bone People sounds interesting, what's that about?

VivreEstEsperer

***Pay It Forward Movie spoiler! ***

*** Movie spoiler! ***

*** Movie spoiler! ***

*** Movie spoiler! ***

But Kamikola - in the end of the movie, he dies!! that's so depressing!

(glares at the computer) I wrote a long letter for this forum, but the computer erased the damned thing. :?

~Summary~

-2-4 books on average.

-I usually stick to the classics, but I like some modern books too like "My Ishmael".

-Favorite book in the whole world is "Snow White and the Seven Samurai". Anybody else read it?? :D

***Pay It Forward Movie spoiler! ***

quote]That's true. And you can't stop crying. In the book the story is a little different but it ends pretty the same. Really, I love that book. You can't not love it.

A book I read for school "The Unwanted" by Kien Nguyen is also great. It's a story of a survival at all costs. When I was reading that book I just couldn't believe that so many bad experiences can happen to one person in such a short time. On disaster after another. It gets you sucked in the big time. You can't stop reading 'cause you have to know what happens next, how he gets out of the new mess. I loved it.

• 1 year later...

Just bumping this thread up to see how many of our new members are book folk.

Right now I'm reading Sickened--a memoir about Munchausen by Proxy syndrome. 'Harrowing' is not big enough of a word.

Cate

I read at least 5 a week. More if I have the time, and when I'm not working or at uni, I can read nonstop.

I estimate I read 300+ a year.

The question was a little unfair... I'm a slow reader, and it takes me more than a month to finish a book.

I've added a new option just for you Desden.

Cate

During the Summer, I usually read 2-4 books a month, but while I'm in college, I really don't have the energy left after all my class reading to do much pleasure reading.

Some of my favorite books would have to be Notes From Underground and Crime and Punishment by Dostoyvesky, pretty much anything by Kurt Vonnegut, Candide by Voltaire, Emily Dickinson's poetry, and that's really just a few...[/i]

I love reading. Love it! Currently reading The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (read it ages ago, don't remember it, but really want to finish the trilogy, so rereading...)

Sadly, between class and homework, I have no spare time to read much. My few precious moments posting here are about all I get.

But you know what? This has inspired me.

SCREW HOMEWORK for tonight!

*whips out book* *snuggles into chair*

I think he meant that it was unfair that there was only an option that said 'one' and no explanation as to why only one.

Correct me if I am wrong, however.

I thought he was saying that it wasn't fair that the options were either '1 book a month' or 'no books ever' because he reads, just not as much as one a month.

Cate

yaaa, i read. mostly non-fiction.

i feel like i should read more fiction, but i can never really get into it.

just read "The Blood Runs Like A River Through My Dreams" by Nasdijj. i reccomend it. it's a memoir.

Not sure how I missed this thread since I love to read...

I have a really difficult time chosing a favorite book, it's like asking someone to chose their favorite song when you are a music major (or something equivilant)...

Among my favorite books are anything by John Irving (particularly a Prayer for Owen Meany), Ernest Gaines (A Lesson Before Dying or Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman -- made into movies that didn't do them justice)... I also like Black Boy by Richard Wright, the Song of the Dodo (extra points for you if you read it!! butt-biting kamodo dragons and close your eyes for math). I enjoyed Therese Raquin (not sure if this is translated in English). And I can really enjoyed the style of Black White and Jewish by Rebecca Walker and Wasted (author escapes me).

I also enjoy John Grisham books like one would eat junk food (for fun and for a quickie).

Archived