ACE Books!

Honey_Badger

Title: Let's Talk About Love
Author(s): Claire Kann
Genre:  Romance, YA

Eligible Shelves: No sex, Ace character

Suggested Ratings: 1 for sex (briefly mentioned), 5 for romance, Biromantic Asexual female protagonist 

Content Warning/Tags: 

Other Stuff: placeholder - I'll write out the summary when I get back from lectures

• 4 weeks later...

Title: Ace in the Picture (published end-March 2019)

Author: Jude Tresswell

Genre: Adult fiction, crime and mystery

Eligible Shelf: ace character

Suggested ratings: 5 Romance ; 5 sexual content (although if this were an M/M list, it would only score a low 2 for sexual content)

Content Warnings/ tags: many refs to romance, and occasional, brief, explicit gay sex. Lots of talk about love and sex, rather than actions. A fair amount of swearing: it's how the characters speak.

Other stuff: gay polyamory seen through the eyes of an asexual detective who is uncertain of his place on the aro/ro spectrum.  It's the third book in a series about Raith, Mike, Ross and Phil, a polyam quad who live in North East England. The detective features mainly in the story's second half.

Summary:

The police suspect Raith Balan of faking a painting. So do money-launderers who sink profits into art. Mike, Ross and Phil must prove Raith's innocence. They're hampered by their certainty that a member of the Fraud Squad is corrupt. The senior investigating officer is Detective Sergeant Nick Seabrooke. He knows he is asexual, but is he aromantic too? As Raith's lovers struggle to keep Raith safe and find the fraudster, the sergeant struggles to understand why the quad is often in his thoughts.

I wrote it. There's a lot of #own voice in it in the sense of 'How would I feel if I had to investigate a poly quad?'.

• 10 months later...

Title: The Man Who Loved Only Numbers: The Story of Paul Erdos and the Search for Mathematical Truth
Author(s): Paul Hoffman
Genre: Biography

Eligible Shelves: Ace character (99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999...…..% sure), no sex scenes/romance scenes

Suggested Ratings: 0.5 for sex (there are a few references to sex, but only to make the point that Erdos couldn't care less), 0.5 for romance (it is mentioned that two of his colleagues are married, and there is another mathematician who wants to be his girlfriend, for instance).

Content Warning/Tags: N/A

Other Stuff: Although the terminology wasn't around in Erdos' time and there are no instances of the words 'aromantic' or 'asexual' in the book, the applicability of those terms is blatantly obvious. I didn't fully acknowledge that when I read it. Today I was chilling in my room, happened to look at this book on the shelf, and then thought, 'OH MY GOD HE'S TOTALLY AROACE WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT BEFORE?!?!' Look at the evidence:

"Erdos never did have a girlfriend--or, for that matter, a boyfriend. 'When he was in his seventies, he told me that he never had sex,' said Vazsonyi" (Hoffman 139)

"Mathematics was his first love. He never came on to women--and he never wanted to" (Hoffman 140)

"Other friends tormented him with pictures of naked women, which he hated to look at" (Hoffman 140)

•  

Archived