ACE Books!

Honey_Badger

Adding a couple book recs to this list!

1. Title: Tell the Wolves I'm Home

Author(s): Carol Rifka Brunt
Genre: YA literary fiction
Eligible Shelves: ace character, no sex
Suggested Ratings: Teen and up, I guess?

Content Warning/Tags: This book does feature 2 relationships that border on romantic and are kind of weird: June has a crush on her uncle, and then she has similar feelings later on for her uncle's boyfriend (Toby), but it never gets even remotely sexual and it's portrayed more as a squish or very emotionally intimate friendship. The closest it comes to sexual is when Toby kisses the back of June's neck one time and June kisses his fingers. Oh, and there's also one kind of non-consensual kiss between June and a boy at her school, but it's very brief.

Other Stuff: While the protag, June, is never explicitly identified as ace, I'm pretty sure she is. In addition to never expressing sexual interest in anyone, she basically pours out a glorious asexual manifesto at one point:

"What he said was that everyone--especially teenagers--should stop having sex. [...] It didn't seem like too bad an idea to me. I mean, why did sex have to be so important? Why couldn't people live together, spend their whole lives together, just because they liked each other's company? Just because they liked each other more than they liked anyone else in the whole world?

If you found a person like that you wouldn't have to have sex. You could just hold them, couldn't you? You could sit close to them, nestle into them so you could hear the machine of them churning away. You could press your ear against that person's back, listening to the rhythm of them, knowing that you were both made of the same exact stuff. You could do things like that.
Sometimes, if you're standing close enough to another person, you can't even tell whose stomach is growling. You look at each other and then you both apologize and say, "That was me," and then you laugh. You don't need sex for that kind of thing to happen. For your body to forget how to tell if it's hungry or not. For you to mistake someone else's hunger for your own."

2. Title: Code Name Verity

Author(s): Elizabeth Wein
Genre: YA fiction, WW2 historical fiction
Eligible Shelves: no sex or even romance. There's one kiss, but it's just for appearances and not part of a romance.
Suggested Ratings: Somewhere between teen and mature, for violence.

Content Warning/Tags:

Basically, this book's central relationship is the platonic best-friendship between Maddie and Queenie, two women in the RAF during WW2. It's a really beautiful story of their friendship. There's no romance in the book. I'd say it's very women-centered and feminist story. Most of the main characters and relationships are women navigating a very patriarchal world, and it's amazing.

That said, there is torture in this book. Sometimes pretty explicit and always stuff you would never wish on your worst enemy (and definitely not on your favorite characters). That said, I don't think it's too squicky/unpleasant. The way it's handled is pretty distant and matter-of-fact. You know what's been happening to these characters, but it's all being reported after the fact. Similarly, some characters die. Some characters die in front of other characters.

The most sexual thing about this book is that one character fears being raped at one point. Although it never happens, the character she's worried about raping her does grope her and other women at every opportunity. Other characters chastise him for this, and the book acknowledges the behavior as problematic.

• 1 month later...
BluebirdOfHappiness

I apologize if anyone has already mentioned this, but if you are looking for Ace books, please go check out Less than Three Press! They are an LGBTQ publisher that specializes in queer romance, and they actually have quite a few books with both asexual and aromantic characters. They have a new collection available for pre-order that I am really excited about called Solitary Travelers, which are all books about asexuals. They have science fiction, fantasy, steampunk, romance, aromance, dragons, you name it. I actually cried when I found some of these books, because these are books totally about asexuals for asexuals, which I have never seen from any other publisher. I feel like we need to signal boost them here, so they know that we are reading and interested in more stories with asexual protagonists!

• 2 months later...

Title: The Dryad's Shoe
Author: T. Kingfisher
Genre: Fantasy | Adult

Eligible Shelves: No sex, no romance
Suggested Ratings: 0 sex, 0 romance

Other Stuff: This is a short story that can be read online here. It's a take-off of the Cinderella variant where the protagonist gets the dresses from the tree on her mother's grave (which in this version is inhabited by a sentimentally-inclined dryad). However, the main character, Hannah, is a passionate gardener who has no interest whatever in balls or princes or any lifestyle where you can't get your hands dirty and do your own weeding.

Better yet, it's strongly indicated that she's ace. Here she's having a conversation with the talking bird who acts as go-between for the dryad:

"...And they expect you to have heirs and such.”

“That’s the general way of things, yes.”

“Not gonna happen,” said Hannah, dunking a stem in water infused with willow chips. “And don’t tell me I’ll change my mind when I’m older.”

SweetBriar14

Everyone has probably read it but To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee has no sex and no romance. Scout and Dill 'marry' but they are only 6 so I don't think it counts. Content warning, there is a trial centred on rape but I don't count rape as sex. I would rate both sex and romance as 0 for this book.

Title: The Dryad's Shoe

Author: T. Kingfisher

Genre: Fantasy | Adult

Eligible Shelves: No sex, no romance

Other Stuff: This is a short story that can be read online here. It's a take-off of the Cinderella variant where the protagonist gets the dresses from the tree on her mother's grave (which in this version is inhabited by a sentimentally-inclined dryad). However, the main character, Hannah, is a passionate gardener who has no interest whatever in balls or princes or any lifestyle where you can't get your hands dirty and do your own weeding.

Better yet, it's strongly indicated that she's ace. Here she's having a conversation with the talking bird who acts as go-between for the dryad:

"...And they expect you to have heirs and such.”

“That’s the general way of things, yes.”

“Not gonna happen,” said Hannah, dunking a stem in water infused with willow chips. “And don’t tell me I’ll change my mind when I’m older.”

This is the kind of fairy tale I would have liked as a kid. Plus, it's based on one of the most adaptable versions. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Title: Dreamhealers duo (Mindline and Mindtouch)

Author(s): M.C.A. Hogarth

Genre: science fantasy

Eligible Shelves: no sex, ace character

Content Warning/Tags: some deaths and drug use

Other Stuff: baking! These are indie books, and the pacing can be slow, or odd, but it portrays an interesting world, a beautiful friendship, and lovely lyrical language. It is part of Hogarth's Pelted series, and there are some short stories that feature the same characters as well.

I love reccing this series, and wish I could find more books like it. Thanks for this thread, even if I've read a good portion of the recs already. :)

Title: All the Wrong Places
Author: Ann Gallagher
Genre: M/M | Adult | Biromantic | Ace Characters | Cross-cultural

Eligible Shelves: No sex, romance
Suggested Ratings: 0 sex, 4 romance

Content Warning/Tags: Kissing, skateboarding accidents (Brennan Cross is semi-pro), discussions about sex, and Zafir Hamady works in the local sex shop (it really is relevant to the plot).

I do have one big warning:

Brennan runs into an old girlfriend who makes him question his orientation leading one of the stupidest breakups that I've read in a book. This is a HEA book though, so eventually gets over his moments of stupid and makes amends.

Other Stuff: This book is set in the Bluewater Bay series put out by Riptide Publishing but is readable as a standalone. You do not have to read the other books in the series (though I've read a few others and they're pretty good).

Summary:

Three cheating girlfriends in a row have given skateboarder Brennan Cross the same excuse: he wasn’t meeting their needs. Desperate and humiliated, he goes to the professionals at the local sex shop for advice.

Zafir Hamady, a sales clerk at Red Hot Bluewater, has an unusual theory: he doesn’t think Brennan is a bad lover. In fact, he doesn’t think Brennan is heterosexual. Or sexual at all, for that matter. He also can’t stop thinking about Brennan. But even if he’s right and Brennan really is asexual, that doesn’t mean Zafir has a chance. Brennan’s never dated a man, and Zafir’s never met anyone who’s game for a Muslim single father with a smart mouth and a GED.

Brennan’s always thought of himself as straight. But when sex is explicitly out of the mix, he finds himself drawn to Zafir for the qualities and interests they share. And Zafir can’t help enjoying Brennan’s company and the growing bond between Brennan and his son. They work well together, but with so many issues between them, doubts creep in, and Brennan’s struggle with his identity could push away the one person he didn’t know he could love.

• 1 month later...

Title: The Fairie Godmother's Apprentice Wore Green
Author: Nicky Kyle
Genre: Aromantic | Ace Characters | Queer Platonic | Dragons on the make!

Eligible Shelves: No sex, No romance

Content Warning/Tags: Here be dragons, or rather, here be a lone traveler on her way to becoming a dragon ... :D The plot does drag a bit at the beginning, but once you get past that, the story's pretty good.

Summary:

The village of Styesville has a dragon problem, and is in sore need of a knight in shining armor to solve it for them. Instead, they get a strange traveler in a ragged cloak they barely even notice at first. Worse still, it soon becomes clear the problem setting fire to their village isn't as simple as a dragon...

Categories: Aromantic Fairy Tales Fantasy Lesbian Queerplatonic Solitary Travelers
  • 2 weeks later...
God of the Forest

[moved back to off-a]

• 4 months later...

Title: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

Author: Susanna Clarke

Genre: Historical/Fantasy | Adult

Eligible Shelves: No sex, very little romance, Ace Character

Suggested Ratings: 0 sex, 1 romance

Other Stuff: Early 1800's England re-imagined with magicians!  Beautifully written in a Austen / Dickens style.  One of the main characters does get married, but any romantic aspect is ignored.  Mr Norrell is definitely Aro Ace.  No sex anywhere in evidence.  Thinking back, Lord Byron is a very minor character towards the end of the book - there may be some mentions of him behaving badly to women, but nothing at all explicit.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a book per se, but I can't resist recommending the webcomic Widdershins by Kate Ashwin.  It's a series of adventures set (mostly) in the imaginary 19th-century Yorkshire town of the same name, which is an epicenter for magic and therefore attracts wizards and other eccentric types.  It has a diverse cast of excellent characters, an intriguing magical system, and a great sense of humor.  

Although it doesn't come up in the comic itself, the author has reportedly confirmed that one of the main characters, Jack "Mal" O'Malley, a cranky vagrant who suffers from the ability to see spirits, is ace.  She occasionally does character Q&As between chapters of the comic, where readers submit questions and she draws the characters answering them; one time someone asked what kind of person various characters would like to marry, and Mal's response was simply "Nah." 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2015 at 5:03 PM, SoManyBooksToRead said:

Title: His Majesty's Dragon

Author: Naomi Novik

Shelves it's eligible for: No Sex, no romance (Almost positive - it's been a few years at least since I read them...really sorry if I'm wrong)

Suggested Ratings: 0 sex 0 romance I hope I'm right..

Other Stuff: Alternative universe during Napoleon era where dragons exist and are used for battle - there is a whole series of at least 5 books.

It's a great series. Book 9 the final book came out in 2016. Some books do have relationship stuff when the main character gets a girlfriend. I can't recall which books did and which books didn't but I don't think anything is too harsh. 

• 2 weeks later...

Title: 

Author:

Genre:  | 

Eligible Shelves: 

Suggested Ratings:

Content Warning/Tags:

Other Stuff:

WobblyWallaby

Title: The Universe Versus Alex Woods

Author:  Gavin Extence

Genre:  Young Adult

Eligible Shelves: Pretty sure there is no sex in it but there is some romance

Suggested Ratings: ? sex 1 romance

Content Warning/Tags: Some death. Lots of geeky

Other Stuff: This book touches on science and spiritual, love and loneliness, life and death and all the awesome that can occur in being human.

Title: Temeraire series
Author(s): Naomi Novik
Genre: Fantasy/alternate history 

Eligible Shelves: no sex and no romance 

Suggested Ratings: 0/1 sex (its implied in books 1,2,4&7 but the other books have no references to it that I can recall, there are 9 books total) 0/1 romance (minor subplot in books 1,2,4&7 again but no other references to it that I can remember) so it depends on which book you are talking about.

Content Warning/Tags: Its set during the Napoleonic wars so there is a fair amount of fighting, shooting etc.

Other Stuff:  The series of books revolves around the primary characters Temeraire and Captain William Laurence. Captain Laurence is a member of the British Royal Navy, serving in combat against Napoleon's navy when he recovers a dragon egg unlike any other known to the British. The egg soon hatches, and Temeraire, a Chinese dragon, is born. Under the impression that an "unharnessed" dragon will become feral and unmanageable, Laurence becomes Temeraire's companion. Despite the difficulties this causes, Laurence begins to think of the dragon as his dearest friend. This forces a change in the sailor's life, drawing him from the prestigious Royal Navy to the less desirable Royal Aerial Corps. 

Title: Blank Spaces (Toronto Connections #1)

Author: Cass Lennox

Genre: Romance | Adult | Series

Pairing: Homoromantic Asexual / Gay  

Eligible Shelves: Definitely romance / negotiated space/intimacy / mystery

Suggested Ratings: 0 sex (though it is discussed) / 4 Romance

Content Warning/Tags: Mystery / Art / clothing style / mix of characters

Other Stuff: Vaughn and Jonah couldn't be more different from each other, but make an interesting match with each other. The mystery is light and enough to hold one's attention. The setting is the art gallery where Vaughn makes his living and a small part of Toronto, Canada.

====================================================

Title: Finding Your Feet (Toronto Connections #2)

Author: Cass Lennox

Genre: Romance | Adult | Series

Pairing: Transgender Male / Female Romantic Asexual 

Eligible Shelves: Definitely romance / dancing / miscommunications

Suggested Ratings: 0 sex / 5 romance / kissing

Content Warning/Tags: To paraphrase Fred Savage, this is a kissing book, and pretty typical m/f romance with all the attendant tropes that tend to plague that particular genre, up to and including the "big misunderstanding and lack of communication" between the couple. (It's annoying and kind of ruined my experience, but that's a personal problem. YMMV.)

Other Stuff: Evie Whitmore is in Toronto to scout out a school, take a break from her life in England, and meet other aces. She gets caught into a dance competition and is paired up with Tyler Davis, who has issues and relationship trauma to get over. Will this pair ever get over themselves long enough to actually talk about stuff? Or will Tyler and Evie go their separate ways?

• 3 months later...

Title: Childhood's End

Author: Arthur C. Clarke

Genre: Science-fiction

Eligible shelves: no sex, no romance

Suggested Ratings: 0 for no sex; 1 for no romance

Other stuff: Aliens! Interspecies friendship! Main character of color (on the second part)! There are some secondary couples, but you can ignore them.

Title: God Bless You, Mr Rosewater

Author: Kurt Vonnegut

Genre:  General fiction? (Post-modernism is weird)

Eligible Shelves: no sex; no romance

Suggested Ratings: 0 for sex; 0 for romance

Content Warning/Tags: It's a comedy, but a peculiar one. There's probably some dated words that can be considered insensitive today.

Other stuff: N/A

Title: The Shadow over Innsmouth

Author: H. P. Lovecraft

Genre:  Horror

Eligible Shelves: no sex; no romance

Suggested Ratings: 0 for sex; 0 for romance

Content Warning/Tags: It's Lovecraft, so there's implied racism.

Other stuff: Some people consider it to be anti-climatic, but I really like it.

Title: Les Fiancés de l'hiver (La Passe-Miroir #1)
Author(s): Christelle Dabos
Genre: Science Fiction/Fantasy/Steampunk

Eligible Shelves: No sex, most likely ace main character, possibly also aro

Suggested Ratings: 0 sex, 1 romance, the romance is very brief and only involves secondary characters.

Content Warning/Tags: murder, not graphic

Other Stuff: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18043539-les-fianc-s-de-l-hiver

It's French. Main character at one point questions why she's never felt attracted to anyone and whether that will ever change. Objects have personalities in this universe. She has a pet scarf.

I haven't read the sequel yet, but I think the author will keep her ace.

Bonus: webcomic about an asexual vampire http://www.smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=152615

• 9 months later...

I'm really pleased that the question I asked regarding authors' and readers' preferences has got another thread going, even though my stories would be excluded from your categories (for the reasons stated on the original thread.) Given the responses which have already appeared on the original thread, would you consider starting up two other categories? One, stories that contain no females involved in romance, affection or sex , and, two, ditto, for males?  No scales. Absolutely an either/or. 

Sorry - I didn't look at the dates of the posts. You've had this thread going for quite a while and I didn't realise. Please ignore the reference in the first sentence!

dragon_nerd
On 06/02/2017 at 5:19 AM, AspieAngel said:
On 02/08/2015 at 10:03 PM, SoManyBooksToRead said:

Title: His Majesty's Dragon

Author: Naomi Novik

Shelves it's eligible for: No Sex, no romance (Almost positive - it's been a few years at least since I read them...really sorry if I'm wrong)

Suggested Ratings: 0 sex 0 romance I hope I'm right..

Other Stuff: Alternative universe during Napoleon era where dragons exist and are used for battle - there is a whole series of at least 5 books.

It's a great series. Book 9 the final book came out in 2016. Some books do have relationship stuff when the main character gets a girlfriend. I can't recall which books did and which books didn't but I don't think anything is too harsh

I can't rememer all of them but 1&2 for sure have romance. No sex in all of them though I believe 

3 hours ago, Tunhope said:

I'm really pleased that the question I asked regarding authors' and readers' preferences has got another thread going, even though my stories would be excluded from your categories (for the reasons stated on the original thread.) Given the responses which have already appeared on the original thread, would you consider starting up two other categories? One, stories that contain no females involved in romance, affection or sex , and, two, ditto, for males?  No scales. Absolutely an either/or. 

Sorry - I didn't look at the dates of the posts. You've had this thread going for quite a while and I didn't realise. Please ignore the reference in the first sentence!

We can certainly do that. We should have separate threads for each maybe?

Yes, thank you . Separate threads would be great. That way, no ACES would suddenly find themselves face to face with detail they really did not wish to read. So, could you add my Badge of Loyalty to your ' absolutely no female sex or romance here' thread please (or what ever the thread's name will be) ? Four openly gay polyamorous men who live in north east England, one of whom must choose which badge he's loyal to - the one he was given when he joined the police force or the tattoo he wears that symbolises polyamory. Crime/mystery background. Pen name Jude Tresswell.  Badge of Loyalty is there on Goodreads polyam themed list (as you've kindly noted elsewhere) and a few other lists, but, being ACE myself, I'd really appreciate something which was  ACE-specific. (I'm sorry - I don't know how to get the Goodreads link up to show the book's lovely cover.)

32 minutes ago, Tunhope said:

Yes, thank you . Separate threads would be great. That way, no ACES would suddenly find themselves face to face with detail they really did not wish to read. So, could you add my Badge of Loyalty to your ' absolutely no female sex or romance here' thread please (or what ever the thread's name will be) ? Four openly gay polyamorous men who live in north east England, one of whom must choose which badge he's loyal to - the one he was given when he joined the police force or the tattoo he wears that symbolises polyamory. Crime/mystery background. Pen name Jude Tresswell.  Badge of Loyalty is there on Goodreads polyam themed list (as you've kindly noted elsewhere) and a few other lists, but, being ACE myself, I'd really appreciate something which was  ACE-specific. (I'm sorry - I don't know how to get the Goodreads link up to show the book's lovely cover.)

Take a look and let me know if I missed something:

Johannes Cabal the Necromancer and its sequels (haven't finished the last one yet)  don't have any sex that I can remember.

7 hours ago, Correner said:

Johannes Cabal the Necromancer and its sequels (haven't finished the last one yet)  don't have any sex that I can remember.

No sex, and only a hint or a whiff of romance, since Johannes set out on his journey to save his girlfriend.

• 2 months later...
NerdAlert93
On 2/21/2015 at 12:58 AM, little fox said:

Oh. Just a comment on this. Apparently there is a scene of attempted rape?

I read this book for school in grade 6 and I don't remember the scene (at the time I didn't notice it either).

But someone mentioned that to me and Wikipedia mentions it.

I am not sure if the scene is super vague or if I was just ignorant.

It was kinda clear but not explicit.  The sexual part is condensed to one sentence, wrapped in her emotion and panic, which drew the reader's attention away from the actual rape

Archived