5 Genders?

Worthless Poster

Worthless Poster

A bisexual friend told me he read an article somewhere that the government was thinking of creating 5 genders instead of two: Male, Female, Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual.

This brought up a few concerns.

Firstly, when filing out important papers, can they legally force you to out yourself? Me thinks not. Also, your legal identity would, in essence, change between a time you were in the closet/in denial/questioning and the time you were out.

Also, it makes it seem as though "male" and "female" are correct and the rest are deviations. Male and Female, too me, are just saying what you PHYSICALLY are, the rest are personal information.

What about bisexuals? It doesn't say if they have male or female genitalia.

They would, or should, techincally add "asexual" as well, but that would face the problem of bisexual as well... which physical gender are you? Besides, many asexuals consider themselves hetero or homo sexual as well, it's just a matter of what kind of attraction you're referring to.

If they were going to expand the legal gender scope to include sexual preference, they would have to have Male and Female, and then subsections of homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual, and asexual if this is something they were set on carrying out, although even that would not solve everything.

To me, it's just not necessary information. However, it may become so as anti-discrimnation laws begin to encompass sexual orientation as well. It may be something that is necessary to be legally classified as, in order to reap full advantage of your legal protections, but "sexual preference" would have to be a totally seperate file, NOT a part of gender classification.

Gender= physical characteristics

What do you all think?

I agree with you completely on this. Gay, lesbian and bisexual are definitions of sexual orientation, not gender identity. But to include other genders, you would have to consider whether to look for the actual physical gender (male, female, hermaphrodite (sp?), etc.) or gender identity (masculine, feminine, androgyne, etc.).

bard of aven

If 5 was funny, try 6. Male, female, true hermaphrodite (having both testicular and ovarian tissue in the gonads), male psuedohermaphrodite (ambiguous genitalia with testicles, internal or descended), female psuedohermaphrodite (ambiguaus genitalia with ovaries), and no distinguishing genitalia. (The three types of hermaphrodites together account for about 1 in 2000 live births.) Those are the broad patterns of physiological gender we humans produce when we couple, and there is a wide variety of individuals in each of them. Leave it to the government to confuse these issues in quite this way. And that's without getting into the genetics of it, about which I know nothing.

Where I work right now, a branch of the US Navy, the online pesnonnel database has three genders, Male, Female, and Unknown. (There are a lot of people who are Male or Female but who have first names commonly given to either, who got entered as Unknown and never had it corrected.)

If I have to fill out a form like that, I think I will check Male and Lesbian.

boa

it could be a mutliple choice questionaire:

external genitalia

1) vagina 2) penis 3) both 4) neither

internal reproductive organs

1) ovaries 2) testes 3) both 4) neither

gender identification

1) female 2) male 3) both 4) neither

attracted to

1) females 2) males 3) both 4) neither

sexual activity

1)asexual 2) hyposexual 3) sexual 4) hypersexual 5) omnisexual

then it could spit out a barcode for each type of person. others can probably think of more parameters, these just came to mind quickly. by this version i'm 11331.

It gets even better....

Biologically speaking we like to divide people up into "male" and "female." As BOA astutely pointed out intersex births (births where a child does not fit the exact standard assigned to either group) are more common than most people think (there's a great bit on asexuality and intersexuality up in the links section.) So depending on how you slice it you could have as many catagories to describe genetalia as you want.

In many academic circles "gender" actually has nothing to do with physical characteristics. "Sex" refers to someone's physical layout while "gender" refers to how they identify and behave (do they refer to themsevles as "he", do they act in a way that is socially considered masculine?) Since gender is about performance it can really appear in almost any form, so we've got an INFINITE array of possible gender expressions.

(Though interestingly enough, gay people were considered a seperate gender in parts of Europe in the victorian age.)

VivreEstEsperer

Yeah, gender has absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation. boa's makes more sense. but if we want to expand genders, we should have something like Male, female, FTM, MTF, neither, both , something like that.

Kate

(everyone except the pie-haters) :lol:

(sees them coming down the street, carrying signs that say "Forget the pie!! We want to have our cake and eat it too!!") lol

Anyway, to get back on topic, this is the funniest thing i've seen in a while. If they do this and don't put asexual, I think i'll put lesbian just to spite them.

Wait, I have a better idea!

I'll check every box, and then i'll make a VERY crude sketch of George Bush being attacked by me with a sniper rifle.

*LOL* I remember when some kid drew a pic of Barney the Dinosaur getting killed in one of his school books . . . This was only a few months after columbine, so the kid got expelled for a year and was sent to a psychologist.

*hangs head in shame* Adults :roll:

Pfft....they can't even get the idea in their heads that biracial people actually exist...try having some of your medical records say you're White, others say you're Native American....then there's the forms where you "Check the one box that best describes you"...when you pick 2, you either get an error if it's on a computer, or you have people laugh at you and be all amused like those 2 old bimbos at the library did to me a few months ago.

Okay, time to "out" myself. I was born with a condition known as Klinefelter's Syndrome, this means that although I am anatomically male I am genetically female so that makes me either hetero-asexual male or lesbian-asexual female.

I wonder where I would fit into the 5 Genders thing?

:roll:

Archived