Romantic Orientation Rings?

Hopelessromantic831

Hopelessromantic831

We have black rings for asexuality. What if we had colored rings for our romantic orientations? Like red for heteroromantic, rainbow or like green for homoromantic, gray for biromantic, and so forth. What do you guys think?

UPDATE: Alright, so we've had some suggestions for various colors for different orientations, but it all seemed a little confusing, because of different people not liking different colors and the same colors being suggested for different orientations. I also tried very very hard to find colored plain rings (basically plain wedding bands) in colors like red and purple, and I could not find anything that I thought was satisfactory. So my suggestions is that we use these colors:

Hetero-silver

Homo-gold

Bi-rose gold (An alternative would be wearing both a gold ring and a silver ring)

Aro-white

Any objections? (I think it would be best for the rings to be worn stacked next to the black one on the right middle finger.)

Once I feel that what few people who see this are satisfied, I am going to try to promote it on tumblr. I would greatly appreciate it if all who approve would also promote it.

a-happyhippie

I love this so much. I'm gonna get a gray ring for biromance ^-^

Hopelessromantic831

I love this so much. I'm gonna get a gray ring for biromance ^-^

OMG YAYYYYY! Someone liked the idea!

We could base it off the flags! Androromantic is... green, I think? I could get a black and green ring :)

Sleepy Skeleton

I think that's a great idea!

I'd wear a green ring for aromantic. It's the color on one of our flags (because no one can agree on a flag). Green is for aromantic because green is the opposite of red, which is the color of love. ^_^

I think I'd have to wear my rings around my neck on a string because I struggle to remember one. Never mind two! :P Although, why not? I'm pretty sure the rainbow ring already exists though. Only for sexuality, right? I most definitely have friends who represent gay pride by wearing rings, anyway. A bit more discreet than bracelets.

Don't think the homoromantic one should be rainbow, because that's so obvious. What I like about the black ace ring is that nobody knows what it means unless they're part of the community or I tell them (which I don't, because why would I?). It's kind of nice to have a thing that not everyone gets, you know?

Hopelessromantic831

We could base it off the flags! Androromantic is... green, I think? I could get a black and green ring :)

Oh! I just looked up androromantic and found this

androromantic: someone who prefers romance with the male gender

gynoromantic: someone who prefers romance with the female gender

panromantic: someone who can become romantically attracted to any gender

I still would like red as heteroromantic though

Hopelessromantic831

I think I'd have to wear my rings around my neck on a string because I struggle to remember one. Never mind two! :P Although, why not? I'm pretty sure the rainbow ring already exists though. Only for sexuality, right? I most definitely have friends who represent gay pride by wearing rings, anyway. A bit more discreet than bracelets.

Don't think the homoromantic one should be rainbow, because that's so obvious. What I like about the black ace ring is that nobody knows what it means unless they're part of the community or I tell them (which I don't, because why would I?). It's kind of nice to have a thing that not everyone gets, you know?

Yes, I think that makes sense. Do we have any homoromantic opinions here? What color would you like your ring to be?

Hopelessromantic831

So if green is aromantic

gray is biromantic

and red is heteroromantic

what should be homoromantic?

a-happyhippie

But wait - wouldn't pink be biromantic?? Since that's part of the flag??

Hopelessromantic831

Yes, that would make sense :)

great idea. I would think grey might just mean you are grey ace for simplicity.

Hopelessromantic831

Why red for hetero-romantic?

Red is (kinda) the color of romance. But I am trying to find a plain red band and it is impossible! What if we had more common/neutral color rings, so that it would fit with any/most outfits?

(like gold, and silver, and maybe white?)

Hopelessromantic831

What if we had like rose gold for bi, gold for homo, silver for hetero? Any ideas for aro? (I know there are other orientations, anyone who wants to speak up for the other ones can give ideas)

Sleepy Skeleton

Why red for hetero-romantic?

Red is (kinda) the color of romance. But I am trying to find a plain red band and it is impossible! What if we had more common/neutral color rings, so that it would fit with any/most outfits?

(like gold, and silver, and maybe white?)

Wait, what? I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure you can have romance in same-sex/gender relationships, too. It would make more sense for red to be for romantics in general. But wear whatever color you like. ^_^

Hopelessromantic831

I stand corrected. Of course homo and hetero relationships can both be romantic. Sorry about that.

Yeah, we should probably agree on something :P How did the black ones come about?

I just said green for andro because I was thinking that's what that flag looked like? Green for aro would probably make more sense though, now that you mention it

Let me see if I can find a pic of the flag...

Edit: this one seem pretty accurate, for reference: http://lovemystarfire.deviantart.com/art/LGBT-Community-Flag-Gradients-448353249

What would the colors be for polyamorous folks? Or lith/akioromantic?

Since black and gray are taken, would androromantic just be a lighter green than aro?

I really like the idea of metallic rings but I don't know that there's enough variety there. You have whitish metals and blackish metals and yellowish metals and that's about it in the jewelry department. Copper, I guess. But I think a lot of those type rings would be mistaken as engagement or wedding.

I would say base the color on the genders one can be romantically attracted to. That covers homo and heterosexual romantics equally. But I agree the rings should be some color that is, well, fashion neutral.

Or we could use semiprecious stones in the rings, since those aren't too expensive and come in a huge variety of colors:

So it would be something like:

• Geode = aromantic (i.e. other worldly)
  • Moonstone/rose quartz = romantically attracted to women
  • Petrified wood = romantically attracted to men
  • Agate = romantically attracted to men or women (it looks multi-colored)

Interesting idea and all... but is anyone outside of this thread/asexuality going to know what these mean? xD We're going to end up with the same problem as the ace-rings. (On a side note: as a biromantic I have an aversion to pink... It's disappointing that all of the decorations and jewelry have the color with it... >.>)

But how difficult is it to find moonstone/petrified wood rings?

But shouldn't it be purple as in that's the mix of the two flag colors combined.

a-happyhippie

But shouldn't it be purple as in that's the mix of the two flag colors combined.

Purple would be aromantic, wouldn't it? Because purple is the main color for the ace flag, I would assume pink would be biromantic to separate it.

Purple would be aromantic, wouldn't it? Because purple is the main color for the ace flag, I would assume pink would be biromantic to separate it.

aro is usually represented by green because, as explained above, it's the opposite of red (which is a romantic color). fun fact: from what i read online a while ago, the purple in the flag stands for community. black is for sexuals, white is for aces, grey is for greys/demis. :)

my understanding is that the bisexual (/-romantic) flag included purple, since it was pink (girls) and blue (boys) combined. pansexual (/-romantic) includes yellow in addition to pink and blue, to make it less binary (yellow being the color for the genderqueer/non-binary umbrella).

Well the biromantic flag is the colors pink and blue representing two or more genders. The large purple in the middle represents how bi's like two or more genders.

a-happyhippie

Ohhhhhhhh. That makes sense! So I would get a purple ring to represent biromance?

Hopelessromantic831

I literally spent an hour and a half just now trying to find a plain red band (ring) and I could not find anything. This is discouraging.

Dodecahedron314

I've seen something flying around on the aro side of Tumblr about white rings being a possibility for aromanticism. I'm not sure how widespread that is, though. A green ring was also proposed, but a few people pointed out that it can be pretty hard to find plain green rings.

This is a good idea. Hopeless, I think you should update the first post with what colors were decided for each ring.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it would be a cool idea to use the sexuality's flag colors ^_^

Archived