Cover Songs Better Than The Original?

crinklyace

Now I'm a bluegrass kind of man, but I love my SKA... so here goes the first entry. (No doubt, I own CDs of this group and A-Ha... it's just that the A-Ha version is a bit slow). And I liked this version before that stupid Baseketball movie came out.

Beavis and Butthead would remind everyone that opinions are like bungholes. Everyone has one. And there is no "right" answer to this thread. :-)

I prefer Shai Hulud's cover of 'Linoleum' by NOFX. That's the first that comes to mind. Also, while I definitely wouldn't say it's better, I highly enjoy Periphery's take on 'Black or White', normally I'd say that covering Michael Jackson is a heinous crime, but I just enjoy the weird interpretation of it. Also, I'd really, really love an isolated bass track of said cover.

Edit: Totally forgot about the Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra cover of the Tetris theme.

I have always hated John Denver but Me First and the Gimme Gimmes made me love this song...

They have since gotten me to enjoy all manner of pop garbage!

EmotionalAndroid

I am not sure if remixes count, but I really like the Glitch Mob's version of "Seven Nation Army" better than the original.

ORIGINAL

REMIX

The only cover I like better than the original (at least, that I can think of off the top of my head), is lovers in a dangerous time.

My love affair with collecting music took place in the 1970's and yes, I collected a big stack of vinyl LP's. However I also liked a lot of the British stuff like the Beatles, Stones and Moody Blues. Now, I have been asleep the last 20 years as far as the popular music scene is concerned and feel a little like Rip Van Winkle. I'm assuming "cover" means "remake". If so, there's never been a remake of any popular song I ever liked. Especially any Beatles tune. The closest I came to liking anything like this was a Weird Al Yankovic remake of the tune "Lump" by Dead Presidents of the United States. This is probably the best garage band that ever was and the simple chord progression was pretty easy to copy. Basically all Al did was change the lyrics. His tune was about Forest Gump. Classic music is played over and over again and it never sounds the same, so I tend to like one particular recording. Frankly, Marching Band music is absolutely awful, so much so it all sounds exactly the same. I guess the kid's parents love it and that's all that matters. Remember Robert Preston in "The music man"? However there is one sort of music I like both as original recordings and modern versions. This is Dixieland Jazz. It is unfortunate America abandons its popular art so easily, but fortunately this is revived in other parts of the world. Like Aardman studio's stop frame animation of Wallace and Grommet. Regarding Jazz, there are many wonderful dixieland bands in places like Argentina, Germany, France and Britain. They all do marvelous jobs re-creating the original piece but the old masters had a way of doing things so I put up with the scratch and hiss. BTW: I enjoyed the original TV Batman series far more than the modern one. Adam West portrayed a parody of what the cartoonists had intended but this was an era when America laughed at Nietzsche's superman and the world was full of George of the Jungle and Super Chicken.

When a question of covers arises, Jimi Hendrix's "All Along The Watchtower" automatically pops to mind. And even if it's over-played, Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah is a zillion time better than Cohen's atrocious original.

Sage Raven Domino

Almost every metal cover of a pop song is better than the original. Period. (I've lost the count of how many of them I've collected :blush:)

drjohnhwatson

When a question of covers arises, Jimi Hendrix's "All Along The Watchtower" automatically pops to mind. And even if it's over-played, Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah is a zillion time better than Cohen's atrocious original.

Hallelujah is one of my favourite songs and I could and will listen to just about any version of it but I don't much like the original, haha.

I like the original Last Kiss song, but I really like Pearl Jam's cover as well as Coeur De Pirate's cover. Hers (Coeur De Pirate) is so pretty and she also does an absolutely splendid cover of "Lucille". Which I never knew was a cover until my mom was singing to it and I was like ??? and she's like "Kenny Rogers does this"

http://youtu.be/pdDBZ9I66hk

:lol:.

I'm not sure what to think of "House of the Rising Sun," since I don't think the guy who actually wrote it ever got around to recording it. The first recording I think is by Bob Dylan, and then later whatever group that recorded the really popular version on the radio came out. That's a kinda odd case.

Another weird example, Scott Walker wrote "Lullaby (Bye Bye Bye)" for Ute Lemper in 1999. She recorded it around that time. Scott Walker reworked it and recorded it for his 2014 album "Soused," under the title "Lullaby." I like the later version a lot better. It's much more terse and less sentimental, less concerned with lingering beauty.

Also Scott Walker, his covers of Jacques Brel are absolutely heavenly. As someone put in the documentary "30 Century Man," to wit, "Brel's style of singing was very Flemish, he dribbled as he sang, whereas Scott Walker sang them like a Greek god." Very apt. And very telling as to the direction Scott was going with his own writing. He was so incredibly attuned to these songs back in the 60s.

SorryNotSorry

I like Johnny Bond's cover of "Hot Rod Lincoln" better than anyone else's version.

JustanotherTobigirl

I can tell I like a different genre of music than the rest of you, but I guess I'll give my opinions anyways. I didn't like a song called "enchanted" by taylor swift when she sang it, but I liked the cover of it done by owl city.

Theres a cover of the song crush by David Archuleta that I like the cover by a female equally

and to throw it something funny, there was a reply song to nigahigea 'nice guys'

that was hilarious
though the singing isn't that greatest.
JustanotherTobigirl

sorry, first to didn't show up, here they are

I have a whole playlist on my Ipod dedicated to covers, you have all been warned.

I like both pretty closely, but I like smashing pumpkin's cover a bit better than the original

also I love this cover by muse better than any other version I've heard so far, although the song is a great one any version I've heard :redface:

willnightshade

I cannot stand Tom Waits' voice at all.

Oooohhhhh!!!!! Them be fighting words! Tom Waits' is awesome! He has the most unique voice out there that proves that music doesn't have to be super polished to be good. He's so much more interesting than most of the stuff out there and it has a lot to do with that voice. Plus Heath Ledger so obviously ripped him off to play The Joker.

Anyway, any cover by The Monkees is better than the original by Harry Nillson.

Vs.

JustAGuyInTinFoil

Not better than the original, but I still like it and it might be worth checking out.

Taking Dawn - The Chain

I'm now checking out Slacker Radios greatest 101 cover songs...

I LOVE cover songs. Where to begin???

"All Along The Watchtower" - Jimi Hendrix

"Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" - The Flaming Lips

"Big Poppa" - Mindless Self Indulgence

"Blowin in the Wind" either version by Sam Cooke or Me First and the Gimme Gimmes

"Come On Eileen" - Save Ferris

"Don't Dream It's Over" - Straight No Chaser

"Girls Just Want to Have Fun" - Cyndi Lauper (lot of people don't realise this is a cover)

"I'm Your Boogie Man" - Rob Zombie

"I Fought The Law" - The Clash

"I'm a Man" - Chicago

"Is She Really Going Out With Him" - Goldfingers

"It's My Life" - No Doubt

"Killing Me Softly With His Song" - The Fugees

"Red, Red Wine" - UB40

"Rivers of Babylon" - Sublime

"Simmer Down" - The Mighty Mighty Bosstones

"Smooth Criminal" - Alien Ant Farm

"The Letter" - Joe Cocker

"The Man Who Sold The World" - Nirvana

"Viva La Vida" - Weezer

"Yesterday" - Boyz II Men

Pretty much anything either Me First and the Gimme Gimmes or Reel Big Fish touch turns to gold, way too much to list.

I have loads more that I love but I don't want to clog this thread, haha.

from western music, I think Lady Marmalade is a fine example, of taking the music of something amazing and taking it to another level

Also the Smiths' "How soon is now" I love the cover from Love spit love way better.

when it comes to Japanese music I happen to love both versions of the songs :P

cover:

and the original:

and this cover:

and this:

http://youtu.be/8CK_Dm5cLi0?t=3m18s

I love david crandell's acoustic version of pumped up kicks over foster the people - never liked the song because of the lead singer's voice. It's kind of how I hate every coldplay song because I can't stand the lead singer's voice.

• 2 weeks later...

Nirvana's cover songs of the Meat Puppets songs, to me, were better than the original. Also, AFI's rendition of "Halloween" was great. I thought Breaking Benjamin did an excellent cover of Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence" - both are good and just slightly different.

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Also, he's virtually unknown, but the late guitar god Michael Hedges had a fantastic cover of Watchtower:

And I loathe the original version of Wonderwall, but Ryan Adams took it and made this spooky, dark masterpiece out of it:

Archived