TW! Eating Disorders

Ace-TheTimelordsCompanion

Please read the OP first  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you have an eating disorder(s)?

• Yes, diagnosed
    • Yes, undiagnosed
    • I'm not sure
    • No I have never had an eating disorder
    • Not exactly, I have fought my eating disorder and now maintain healthy eating habbits
    • Other
  2. 2. Do you have, or suspect you have, any of the followinng?

• Bulimia Nervosa
    • Bulimia (not bulimia nervosa)
    • Anorexia Nervosa
    • Anorexia (not anorexia nervosa)
    • Binge Eating Disorder
    • Night eating syndrome
    • Purging disorder
    • Compulsive over eating
    • Sugar addiction
    • Other eating disorder
    • None of the above
  3. 3. How healthy would you say your eating patterns are?

• 1. Very unhealthy
    • 2. Somewhat unhealthy
    • 3. Fairly normal
    • 4. Somewhat healthier than normal
    • 5. Very healthy
    • Prefer not to answer
  4. 4. Pick the one that you feel is most accurate for you

• I am overweight and often feel thinner than I am
    • I am overweight and often feel fatter than I am
    • I am overweight and I think my body image matches the reality fairly closely
    • I am of average weight and often feel fatter than I am
    • I am of average weight and often feel thinner than I am
    • I am of average weight and I think my body image matches the reality fairly closely
    • I am underweight and often feel thinner than I am
    • I am underweight and often feel fatter than I am
    • I am underweight and I think my body image matches the reality fairly closely
    • Other
    • Prefer not to answer/Don't understand the question

This poll is closed to new votes

Ace-TheTimelordsCompanion

Please note that I am including overeating eating disorders, as well as undereating ones

Eating disorders of all kinds are serious, please be kind to each other, and to yourselves

I eat quite healthily, but have a slightly sweet tooth. In my teens/early twenties I was very thin and didn't eat enough, but I never had an eating disorder.

I think I do have an eating disorder, I don't see myself as bigger than I am really. But I lack that hunger feeling, I could easily not eat for few days because that feeling is absent. But I have to eat a little in order to stay healthy, and keep my body working properly.

I have lost part of my appetite and some kilos along with that this year. There are now a lot more food textures that repulse me than in the past and I eat less overall, especially if the meal isn't particularly tasty to me. I am still able to enjoy eating though, it has just gotten a lot more specific and I also don't mind the feeling of hunger, unless I'm trying to sleep.

I'm not sure if it's a "disorder." I think I am of average weight. Maybe a pound or 2 more than I should be. If that.

However, I do eat out of anxiety, and/or boredom. Rarely out of hunger.

I also eat out of "fear." Because if I go to long with out eating.... I don't usually feel hunger until it's too late!.... I get Really bad headaches. Sometimes I eat just because I'm afraid I Might get a headache.

But I am a vegetarian and generally eat pretty healthy things. Although, I do have a bit of a sweet tooth. As well as an addiction to bread. (carbs!)

WhenSummersGone

I don't have an eating disorder that is serious but I am addicted to sugar, mostly chocolate. I eat chocolate daily. So I eat somewhat unhealthy and I feel fat but I'm not sure what my weight is right now.

"I am underweight and often feel fatter than I am."

This, although I'm getting better at it

TheLandsBeyond

To the OP, again, you should remove the 'Bulimia (not nervosa)' and 'Anorexia (not nervosa)' options. Those aren't things. AN and BN are the only terms... without the 'N' isn't a thing other than the other non-mental-health-related usage of 'anorexia'.

For what it's worth, there are several subcategories of both AN and BN... but they're still forms of the same illnesses, so separate categories aren't especially necessary.

Yeah, I agree with this. Also maybe change 'other eating disorder' to EDNOS? I have been diagnosed with an eating disorder, and though I technically meet the criteria for AN, my program typically just diagnoses all eating disorders as EDNOS.

Anyway... storytime. I've had disordered eating for probably 4 or 5 years, but I've only had what I'd consider an eating disorder for one year. I've never had normal hunger cues, so around the time I started high school, I became really conscious of what I thought was just eating out of boredom. In reality, I was only eating about 1600 calories a day, but it never crossed my mind that I would develop an eating disorder.

I'd say that my eating crossed the line from disordered to disorder a year ago for a couple reasons: I was in a super unhealthy, manipulative relationship, and I was trying to stop self harming. So controlling how much I ate became a replacement coping mechanism. I never wanted to look "skinny and pretty". I wanted to look sick. I wanted people to see that I was struggling. My heart rate got down to 30 bpm and probably lower at night before I was hospitalized. I've been in an intensive outpatient program since I've been discharged. Among other things, my eating disorder has ruined my college plans, since I was forced to leave after one week and go back to my program.

I checked anorexia (not anorexia nervosa) because my lack of eating is not caused by body image, but I'm not 100% sure what I checked was still correct. I refuse to eat as a way of punishing probably but not because I feel too fat (although I am overweight). It's maybe caused by depression, but not just any depression. It occurs either when I strongly hate myself emotionally (not physically) or when I'm really angry with another person. I know that not eating is bad for me, but I'll do it, anyway, which pisses me off, which in turn makes me want to not eat as a punishment even more so. Or I'll be really upset with someone and not eat because it's bad for me and screw them, they deserve to know they're treating me badly enough to make me do something like this. But I'll crack and eventually try eat, and I still can't eat, because even one bite of food makes me feel so sick that I can't take more than one or two bites after that before spitting it out and giving up on eating.

I used to be a compulsive eater and a binge eater. Result, at one time I was 17st 7lb, 111kg for a height of 5'9", 1.75m. This was due to being deeply unhappy with my body. End result; type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure etc. Now I'm down to 11st 4lb, 73kg, eat healthily and not as much, the other conditions have regressed and I feel much better for it.

I imagine disorders don't taste nice.... :P

No ED, eat healthier than the average person in this country and I'm below average in weight. I don't feel particularly overweight or underweight....I do feel conscious about my thinness though.

I don't have any eating disorders and thank God because I probably wouldn't survive a disease like that since I am already underweight naturally.

Someone who used to be close to me was diagnosed with a lesser known eating disorder called orthorexia which is an obsession with eating healthy foods.

ranting ferret

i have never received a diagnosis, nor am i sure that i should. but anxiety and stress has on occasion made me unable to eat very much. there has been a time that i think i was toeing the line of having a full blown eating disorder due to severe anxiety. so it's become (to me) another part of my anxiety/depression maintenance.

I have overcome an eating disorder, but not being able to answer if I'm of average weight or not and if I maintain 'healthy eating habits' (define healthy!) sure makes me wonder if I ever really left it all behind. To be honest: I don't think I ever will. One may recover from an ED, but one will likely have to do with struggles and bouts of depression because of (what one perceives as) overeating and such.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to say that everyone who's in the same boat would necessarily have to share my fate. Don't get discouraged.

The 'nervosa' part of either anorexia or bulimia simply denotes that it's a mental health issue, that's all. It doesn't necessarily have to do with body image, just that the illness is of psychological origin. 'Anorexia' alone refers to a medical loss of appetite due to anything from having the flu to AIDS to cancer to being a side effect of medication and so on. 'Bulimia' alone, without the 'nervosa', isn't even a thing.

Is that really so? When I was diagnosed with Anorexia, I remember being told it wasn't Anorexia Nervosa, but a different subsection of Anorexia. The way it was explained to me was that it wasn't Nervosa because it wasn't to do with body image, and I wasn't starving myself for the express purpose of losing weight (more because I became scared of food, even just the smell could send me into panic). It's important to note, I was 14 at the time, so it's likely I got a very simplified explanation. If you know any more, could you explain it to me now?

In terms of the poll, I selected my eating habits are slightly unhealthy, as I still strongly dislike eating at work, so rarely have lunch, although I do eat breakfast and dinner everyday, and am maintaining a weight I'm comfortable with, even if I do still get that horrible little voice in my mind telling me that I don't need to eat.

here goes for a food diary then,

0530 3* 25g bags of crisps

0700 cup black coffee no sugar

0900 sausage, bacon and egg fajita

1100 100g bag crisps

1300 2 sausages, deep fried mushrooms and chips

1300 bottle water

1500 big tube of Pringles and Cornish pastie

1900-2300 8-10 pints of beer, 2-3 bags of crisps and a bag of pork scratchings

2300 2* 400g ready meals, a tiramisu ramekin, a bag of crisps and 4 shots of spirits

That was my typical consumption every day, and sometimes it was more. I wonder (not) how I suffered from health problems, and I still am concerned as to what the future holds.

today's diet for comparism

0700 2* plain oat cakes

0900 low fat cottage cheese on unbuttered brown bread sandwich

1300 leafy salad with a bit of meat

1900 home cooked meal, no fried food

1900-2300 2 or 3 pints of beer, sometimes just sugar free pop

Now, I am deeply embarrassed as to the life I used to live, and I just post this as a warning to others, DO NOT COPY THIS. We all make mistakes, please learn from mine

Eating disorders are so hard to get control of... mine is pretty much an addiction and it's something I feel a great deal of shame over because I can't seem to "fix" myself no matter how much I wish I could. :\

I can relate to this :\

TheLandsBeyond

Someone who used to be close to me was diagnosed with a lesser known eating disorder called orthorexia which is an obsession with eating healthy foods.

I think orthorexia should be added to the poll because, though it's not in the DSM, it's way more serious than most people think. People with orthorexia can become obsessed to the point where they can't eat anything unless they bought it that day and prepared it themselves.

I suffered for four years with anorexia and bulimia. It had a grip on me for a for few years before and after, but the most severe time were those four years. I have a variety of mental health problems, most of them have been more serious than the ED's but none were as destructive to both body and mind. Bulimia fitted the bill of never being able to see what was going on, like depression and other issues, and it's that outwardly-looking-o.k. but inwardly-in-turmoil. Anorexia ravished me, it was clear to see for everyone and the two together have had a lasting effect on my body. I am a naturally skinny guy, I'm just over six feet and although my weight loss wasn't too drastic, (I hit seven stone) with my frame and height I looked very ill. I didn't have the internet at the time but I did find a lot of solidarity within the National Eating Disorders Association. I would recommend this organisation to anyone who may feel they are symptomatic or who are indeed in the grip of an eating disorder. It may not be for everyone and I get that, but knowing you don't have to do it all by yourself can be comforting for some.

My eating patterns are now very healthy. I enjoy a variety of food, eat a lot of fruit and veg. and can eat a little of what I like. I still don't go big in the way of fattening foods and it did permanently neutralise my sweet tooth, but I found that educating myself on everything that I was obsessed about, unnaturally so, and receiving help at the right time, was crucial for my recovery.

Melody.ExE -- Yes, it's very much true. I can guarantee that 100%. I can list off all the different subtypes of both anorexia and bulimia if you wish... I could write an essay on the damn topic... but I'll guarantee that all are forms of anorexia or bulimia nervosa.

Very interesting. I've just reread your other posts and realised I had been misinterpreting them, serves me right for reading too quickly. Sorry if I sounded accusatory or anything like that. It was genuine curiosity.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense, for a while the doctor thought I had a stomach ulcer that was preventing me from eating (because I insisted I wasn't bullied, and didn't care about how I looked), and it was around that time I was told it wasn't Anorexia Nervosa, just Anorexia.

I wouldn't be surprised if my diagnosis changed after the testing for stomach ulcers came back negative, and it became clear my problem with food was actually psychological, just not related to body image. I can't believe I'm only finding this out 5 years after being discharged, and nearly 7 years after first seeing a doctor!! Thanks for taking the time to explain.

I don't have an eating disorder that is serious but I am addicted to sugar, mostly chocolate. I eat chocolate daily. So I eat somewhat unhealthy and I feel fat but I'm not sure what my weight is right now.

I support your chocolate addiction. I have three different kinds of chocolate a day. The quantities are always small.

WhenSummersGone

I support your chocolate addiction. I have three different kinds of chocolate a day. The quantities are always small.

It's great to hear someone else likes chocolate just as much! I'm always the first to eat all my chocolate in my family lol.

Just to be nitpicky- overweight IS average weight. The 50th percentile falls in the overweight category.

As a 26 year old American, having weight just above what is considered "underweight" puts me well below average in terms of weight. For that reason, I chose "other" in describing my weight.

I said "I'm not sure" about having a disorder, although I suspect I have a sugar addiction. I really am addicted to sweets...chocolate, especially. I can't go very long without having something sweet. :blush: My weight is slightly over- but it doesn't concern me too much, sometimes.

I have an eating disorder, but undiagnosed. For the past 6 years, I have never felt hungry, or the need to eat. Some months I live fine, when I feel good I can remember to eat regularly. When I feel bad, I often don't eat, either because I forget, or because I don't notice I should eat, or because a multitude of not-wanting-to-eat feelings. I'm trying to get better, because I know this is not good, but it is difficult.

I'm overweight and I very often feel much fatter than I am.

I struggled with an eating disorder between ages 13-15 and I dropped about 50 lbs in about 9 months. Which isn't that crazy, but I did so by not eating breakfast or lunch and only eating one plate of food at dinner because I didn't want my parents to know what I was doing. And I couldn't get away with not eating on weekends either. But the struggle was very real. I got down to a healthy weight and I still hated myself. Now I look at pictures from that time in my life and I think "damn, I looked good." But it's a shame that I couldn't even appreciate it when I was at that weight. I ended up plateauing for about three months and slowly started to gain the weight back. I'm pretty much back at the weight I was before it started, but it's taken years to finally start getting past that disordered thinking. I'm still working on it. About a month ago I thought I was going to slip up. I didn't eat for almost two days because of exams and papers and stress, etc., and the hunger pains made me remember how good it felt to see the numbers on the scale drop. I started remembering the mantra "hunger hurts, but starving works."

Luckily, I got past it, but sometimes I can't help but think about how easy it would be to go back. (Even if it wouldn't be easy. I don't have the same willpower as I did, now that I'm 20 and don't hate myself as much as I did.)

I seem to have the whole works when it comes to eating disorders (if that's possible and doesn't make me sound like an attention seeker...). ;) I have depression (diagnosed), and I fluctuate between days of deliberate near starvation and obsessive exercise due to an irrational desire to be skinny, and then days of thoughtless binging for the short-term comfort that sugar brings me (even though I've been told by my GP that I need to cut down on sugar, as diabetes runs in my family). When I binge, sometimes I feel guilty and purge afterwards, but recently I've stopped doing that as I've noticed that the more I purge, the more intense my sugar cravings become. I have gained a bit of weight but I'm still in the 'healthy range' for BMI (166cm and 56-59kg).

• 1 year later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read-only Census Archive for 2014. As part of ongoing Census Forum organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, each poll will last for one year. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Census Moderator

Archived