Your exercise habits

Ortac

Your exercise habits  

1. 1. How often do you exercise? (that means proper, purposeful exercise; walking to the bus stop doesn?t count!)

• Every day.
    • Five or six days per week.
    • Three or Four days per week.
    • Two days per week.
    • Once a week.
    • Less often than once a week.
    • I do no exercise at all.
  2. 2. Do you believe that you do enough exercise?

• Yes, I do even more than I need to.
    • Yes, I do enough.
    • I do exercise, but I know it is not really as much as I should do.
    • I do exercise, but I have no idea whether it is enough.
    • No, I do very little exercise.
    • No, I do absolutely no exercise at all.
  3. 3. If you do exercise, do you enjoy it?

• Yes, I love it!
    • It?s OK.
    • I do it because I feel I should, I don?t really enjoy it.
    • I don?t do any exercise.
  4. 4. If you consider that you do not do enough exercise, are you worried about it?

• I do enough exercise.
    • It worries me a lot that I don?t do enough exercise.
    • It worries me a little bit.
    • I could not care less.
    • Pass me some cake!

This poll is closed to new votes

I used to exercise all the time. I love exercise. I love hiking and running and biking and sports like football (soccer), tennis, racket ball, volleyball, baseball. I want to try cricket, but it's not really a sport played here. I enjoy weight training and yoga and am interested in swordplay and martial arts. My most active form of exercise in recent years has probably been dancing. I haven't been exercising much lately because I don't have a gym to visit or a community to participate in sports with. I do have a treadmill in the house, but I hate treadmills. I prefer to walk and run outdoors, but it is the dead of winter here, soooo.... Yah, so I have gotten lazy and barely exercise lately.. I am not happy about it at all. I am annoyed with myself. I'm not overly worried, though, because I know that I will return to exercising more.

I don't exercise as much as I should, mainly down to time, and for endocrine reasons a lack of stamina for prolonged exertion. I don't mind a long walk or bike ride, but cannot run far. Things get better in the summer months, when I can get time to play golf occasionally.

I exercise three/four times a week. I love it and it helps with a number of health issues, physically and mentally. I would have been in a lot of trouble a few years back if I couldn't carry out my exercise. I am a lot more relaxed about it now, I don't get nervous or anxious if I miss out and my current trapped-nerve situation would have been almost impossible to get through if it had occurred just three years ago.

I would like to introduce more cardio into my routine, but the trouble is, I have a high metabolism and find it hard to keep weight on. I know that some people would kill for that but I want to be fitter. I have always found it hard to bulk up/keep some mass, stay trim around the waist and eat the right amount of food to do both.

I dance 2-3 days a week (answered 2, because it's more so 2 than it is 4). And it's proper dancing, as in I make sure to get my heart rate up and to focus on toning muscles. I like to feel the burn! I do a little dancing most days, but I wouldn't consider that dancing to be an actual workout.

I don't really exercise as much as I should. I'd be better off if I got it to every other day, since I partially exercise to help deal with my oh so slightly elevated blood pressure.

And I do love dancing!!! It makes me feel really good, and I look quite nice as well! XP

I chose "I could care less," because I'm not worried about not exercising enough, I just think I should exercise a little more.

I go to the gym every day, and I do weight training every other day for 30-45 minutes, and I run for 1 miles on days I do weight training, and 2 miles on my off days. I only exercise because I want to run a lot of Spartan Races this year, and once I get bored of them I'll probably stop exercising altogether. I've lost about 14 pounds in the 5 months I've been doing this for (Starting at a weight of 188), so that's pretty neat. Still have a ton of belly fat that needs to go though.

Ace-TheTimelordsCompanion

I want to exercise and I love running. But I have asthma so exercising and cold air actually make me sick. I hate how I can never enter a marathon because my lungs are too damn weak (I'm on prescription inhaler but it only reduces the symptoms slightly). Swimming is good but I'm nowhere near a public access pool; only one around is reserved 24-7 for college swimming team.

The only thing I can do is just basic calisthenics in the living room along with some slight jogging in place and sit-ups. I would love to exercise more but I can't risk my bronchial tubes closing up and causing me to get dizzy/pass out/stop breathing temporarily/become ill/etc while doing so.

Other people: Asthma is so stupid! It's just an excuse!

Me: It's as if people don't understand that I NEED air as much as they do and I can't get it when I run!

Thank you so much for saying this! It needs to be said. I have horrible asthma, without my inhaler I am sunk, even sitting still. And as for chest infections, let's not go there eh?

I dislike the forms of exercise available to me, if there were a decent swimming beach, or an ice-skating rink, near me, I think things would be a different story.

To be honest exercise, particularly running, scares the cr*p out of me! Not becuse I am afraid of work, or because I find it boring and unpleasant, but because of the fear of not being able to breathe. It is all very well to know that this has happened a million times before and will probably pass if I take my inhaler, but there is that primal fear, when you need more air than usual, and you are getting less. It feels like you are drowning in open air. It's horrible, and it isn't the safest, and yet people still judge ( Or they tell you to do breathing exercises, the whole point is that the asthma stops the air going in/being received! I've heard of mind over matter, but in this case it is completely stupid. And yet many non-asthmatics still believe it!

This thread made me realize how lazy I've gotten lately. Starting tomorrow morning I'm picking up a new regimine of walking on the treadmill each morning (as much as I hate treadmills but winter, so <_< ) before work and then DDR after work in the evenings. It's a good way to get my exercise with the cold months and living in the country without easy access to a gym since moving back home after college.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be fit and did long distance running but now I just don't have the motivation to do anything. I try and use the rowing machine though at least once a day.

I do at least two hours (about four hours on free days) of gymnastics on my own every day and often join my students during lessons, so I get some additional hours (though generally less intense) of exercise there.

Seems sufficient to me -_- Of course that's not comparable to "normal" people's habits, it is my profession.

I strongly dislike, however, most ways of training seemingly popular among people with an otherwise (unnecessarily!) sedentary lifestyle. Jogging, muscle training with weights/machines, treadmills... Would never do such things.

Besides - many of these people do everything by car, almost never walk, but then go running so they get some exercise. It is ridiculous.

Nowadays even the blinds of your windows are closed and opened electrically, remotely radio controlled, in case you would have to move a limb doing it manually, but twice a week you go to the gym, otherwise you become fat.

Oh the decadence of modern society...

I do not mean people who are handicapped and happy that modern devices make their lives a tiny bit easier. I know what I am writing about, my girlfriend :wub: is handicapped in several ways. But even she uses crutches most of the time, not the wheelchair. Our light switches are at the wall, nothing with radio control :huh: And of course I would change that immediately if she wanted it.

• 4 months later...

I take a tightwire class once a week, which mainly works on balance and core strength, although it also makes my shoulders very tired (from holding my arms over my head for an hour).

I lift weights on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and bike (either outdoors or on a stationary bike, depending on weather and such) on Tuesday and Thursday most every week. Usually I end up taking about an hour on each of those things each day, although sometimes it can be more or slightly less. I do stage combat, which often ends up amounting to several hours on the weekends, but that's not consistent at all. I also like hiking, canoeing, and swimming when I get the chance, and try my hand at archery from time to time. As you may guess from all that, I do enjoy exercising. It's also my preference to walk to places when I can, or ride my bike, although that doesn't always work out.

allrightalready

while i do not set time aside and do specific exercise i ride a bicycle to go everywhere i go and i average an easy 75miles a week and sometimes go over 100 (just wednesday i rode 30 miles in addition to a two mile walk)

Grumpy Alien

3-4 days a week. It's not enough for me though. I absolutely HATE exercising. Hate hate hate hate hate. But I have PCOS and genetic high cholesterol so I have to. I've gained 60-70 pounds in two years. I'm desperately trying to stop gaining with a strict diet and exercise on top of the medicine I take for the root cause. It's been 9 months and I've finally stopped gaining and lost 5 pounds. It makes me more willing to put effort forth knowing that it's finally starting to work and isn't a completely fruitless form of torture.

LeaveOnYourColours

I run about three times a week and my fastest mile time is 9:10! I wanna break 8 though. I also do a fair amount of yoga and stretch training as well as weights. I love working out, but I too have asthma which I feel limits me a bit. I can't work out without taking my inhaler before and I think it limits my lung capacity even when I do.

• 4 weeks later...
Eliza Harmony

Since walking to the busstop does not count, maybe this does not count either: but I always take my bike to classes and anyplace else I have to go (I even used to cycle 32km a day in high school). And I go horseback riding regularly (go there on my bike as well). Mucking out stables, working outside on our pasture and stuff like that could be considered a work out as well. But exercising just for the exercise? Rarely ever happens. I rather combine it with other stuff I have to do. I'm going out for some groceries right now. On my bike.

I tend to exercise about three times a week, sometimes more and sometimes less. I go horse riding, play hockey for my school team and do workout videos (Shaun T insanity abs, though I don't follow the workout plan of every day). I don't feel that I exercise as much as I should, though I'm not really bothered about it. I could do with putting on some muscle (especially on my arms) and improving my cardio, but I'm cautious about over exercising as I am on the skinny side. I really enjoy horse riding and hockey. When I do workout videos I tend not to enjoy them so much as they really push me, but I do get the great feeling after the workout high is what motivates me to do them.

HeartfulPeach

I try to exercise everyday. I go to the gym and do 1 hour of cardiovascular exercise and 1 hour of weight lifting aprox. There are days where I love it and there are days where I wish it would be over soon. I lost a lot of weight by excerising and now I exercise to maintain my weight, considering I love sweets. My goal now is to gain some more muscle. I hope I will accomplish it :(

Lady Valacri

I try my best to exercise everyday. ff I'm sick or some emergency happens then I'll give myself a little leeway. I do 30 minutes of low-intermediate aerobic based cardio and around 10-30 minutes of strength training.

I'm a bike commuter so I bike anywhere from 14 to 36 miles a day, I do crossfit 3 times a week and I am in my universities rowing club which practices 5 days a week when school is in and 2-3 times a week in the summer. I love exercise and being outdoors, hiking and going on nature walks are a couple of my favorite things to do in my free time.

LeaveOnYourColours

I have a new mile PR! 7:49! Now to break 7:30. I've also been working on flexibility for a long time and finally, I can do the splits!

I've just started working on yoga inversion (holding yourself upside down with core strength) as well!

tumblr_nq5tj5sxge1tmzrico1_540.jpg

Anthracite_Impreza

I don't do any exercise for the sake of it. I move when I need to, and since I have a manual job that's most of my shift, and I enjoy running around in woods and climbing and stuff. I just cannot do anything without a valid reason so organised exercise is impossible, and yes I do enjoy cake :P

I absolutely despised sports at school though, so maybe that put me off for life >.<

I don't exercise for the sake of exercise. I walk too and from uni because I enjoy it and it saves money, and I hike in the mountains regularly and dance for fun, which both get my heart rate up. I don't get as much exercise as I should, I'm far too lazy to do anything I don't enjoy just for the sake of my health, but I don't worry about it at all, I don't want to live forever! Whenever I see programmes saying things like "exercising regularly can add [however many years] onto your life", my response is "well that's a good reason to sit on sofa and eat chocolate".

chuckylover911

Sometimes I walk for 2 hours a day. Im trying to make it a habit but I feel lazy most of the time.

speedyhobbit

Running, racewalking, lifting, archery, volleyball, soccer, tennis, basketball

Skipped voting because it seems to ignore the inherent exercise in living actively. So all animals would be considered to get no exercise because their activity is part of life rather than artificial thing meant just to move their muscles. I'll be sad if I ever exercise.

I run ultra marathons, and love it! Unsurprisingly, people uncomfortable with my asexuality have suggested that I would probably feel more sexual desire if I ran less. Even if that absurd notion were true, why would I abandon my favorite activity? Silliness!

I bike nearly everyday in the summer but I don't have the time to in winter (I have to study). I enjoy it when the weather's not to windy only. The poll didn't leave much place for nuances...

Archived