Your exercise habits

Ortac

Your exercise habits  

1. 1. How often do you exercise? (that means proper, purposeful exercise; walking to the bus stop doesn?t count!)

• Every day.
    • Five or six days per week.
    • Three or Four days per week.
    • Two days per week.
    • Once a week.
    • Less often than once a week.
    • I do no exercise at all.
  2. 2. Do you believe that you do enough exercise?

• Yes, I do even more than I need to.
    • Yes, I do enough.
    • I do exercise, but I know it is not really as much as I should do.
    • I do exercise, but I have no idea whether it is enough.
    • No, I do very little exercise.
    • No, I do absolutely no exercise at all.
  3. 3. If you do exercise, do you enjoy it?

• Yes, I love it!
    • It?s OK.
    • I do it because I feel I should, I don?t really enjoy it.
    • I don?t do any exercise.
  4. 4. If you consider that you do not do enough exercise, are you worried about it?

• I do enough exercise.
    • It worries me a lot that I don?t do enough exercise.
    • It worries me a little bit.
    • I could not care less.
    • Pass me some cake!

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't really consider it exercise, but for the sake of the poll I did.

I walk for about an hour every single day. I don't really allow exceptions which at least makes it regular, if not very tiring.

(walking is awesome)

I want to exercise and I love running. But I have asthma so exercising and cold air actually make me sick. I hate how I can never enter a marathon because my lungs are too damn weak (I'm on prescription inhaler but it only reduces the symptoms slightly). Swimming is good but I'm nowhere near a public access pool; only one around is reserved 24-7 for college swimming team.

The only thing I can do is just basic calisthenics in the living room along with some slight jogging in place and sit-ups. I would love to exercise more but I can't risk my bronchial tubes closing up and causing me to get dizzy/pass out/stop breathing temporarily/become ill/etc while doing so.

Other people: Asthma is so stupid! It's just an excuse!

Me: It's as if people don't understand that I NEED air as much as they do and I can't get it when I run!

I very rarely exercise. It's something I want to get into because I know I am not the healthiest person, but I'm too lazy and not nearly motivated enough.

WhenSummersGone

I don't exercise but it worries me a lot. I'll try to exercise more in the new year.

I'm a fanatical bicyclist. I do some running, hiking, and rock climbing. Some programs at the campus gym. I would love to swim, but I've always been a weak swimmer, like to the point of not being safe in the water. This bothers me.

The day just feels better with some vigorous exercise as part of it. Running is my top exercise, but I also do a lot of road and mountain biking, hiking, and cross country skiing in the winter. If I can't do any of these, just a neighborhood walk to get groceries is better than nothing. I figure that when I'm 90 I'll throw some skateboard trucks and wheels on my walker, and run with that.

I'm averse to exercise lol. I do very little...the only thing that counts is maybe once a week I go birding/walking/hiking. But that is rarely. I know I should be doing more, but it can be really hard to get off my butt and do something, especially when it hurts just to get off my butt and do something. Thank you, health problems! Blah. I need to start small with stretching first...do a little at a time. But getting motivated for exercise has always been tough for me.

TheLandsBeyond

I was a cross country runner. Then I stopped eating. Now I'm not allowed to exercise. I have mixed feelings about it.

About 9 months ago I would work out 3-4 times a week and I loved it. We would do a lot of tiring exercise but never really enough so that I would have trouble breathing(only sometimes). Then I moved and now I've been having trouble with me being sick, or my friend being sick(I'm the only one who can help her) and me being too lazy. Also I hate running, but I don't feel like I have the time to start doing a sport. I go hiking sometimes, but I have exercise-induced asthma so it's really difficult for me to run for a long period of time, or climb mountains.

I really feel worried about me not moving enough. I walk for a while every day though, always take the stairs instead of the escalator, and take longer walks some days, but I don't feel like it's enough.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I have training at the rink 6 days a week, twice a day most days. Once I start basketball again I'll be very happy with the amount and type of exercise I do ^_^

I exercise everyday. I go on a 'proper' walk (eg. not to the shops but with the actual intent of exercising) 2-3 times a day as well as skipping and boxing on the side.

I want to exercise and I love running. But I have asthma so exercising and cold air actually make me sick. I hate how I can never enter a marathon because my lungs are too damn weak (I'm on prescription inhaler but it only reduces the symptoms slightly)...

Other people: Asthma is so stupid! It's just an excuse!

Me: It's as if people don't understand that I NEED air as much as they do and I can't get it when I run!

I go hiking sometimes, but I have exercise-induced asthma so it's really difficult for me to run for a long period of time, or climb mountains.

I used to have asthma too. I say used to; it is still there, but only very, very mildly. When I was younger it was a lot worse. It did not help that my asthma went undiagnosed until I was about 11, and the trouble I had in physical education “lessons” at school was that everyone was expected to start running at full speed right away and that just set off an attack after a less than a minute.

But somewhat ironically I think that it was actually getting fit and exercising that eventually supressed my asthma, but it has to be done in the right way. That is very gradually, easy intensity, and building it up little by little as you get fitter.

Activities such as swimming and cycling are meant to be good for asthmatics.

Exercise no longer triggers my asthma. It is only cigarette smoke and really bad pollution or dust that triggers it now, and even those things I am much more tolerant to now.

I'm a fanatical bicyclist. I do some running, hiking, and rock climbing. Some programs at the campus gym. I would love to swim, but I've always been a weak swimmer, like to the point of not being safe in the water. This bothers me.

Greetings from another fanatical bicyclist! Regarding swimming, my belief is that in the case of the majority of people who would say that they can’t swim, it is not true. What is true is that they don’t know how to swim. They just need someone who is a good teacher to teach them. If you are capable of cycling, running, hiking and rock climbing, then you are almost certainly capable of also being a strong swimmer.

I learnt to swim when I was 5, but I was never good at it and I considered myself a weak swimmer for years. All swimming lessons I had were with large groups of other people and one teacher who had to teach and supervise everyone. Twenty years later, I took it upon myself to get some one-on-one personal training from a swimming teacher. The results were incredible. Having a person paying attention to just me and no one else, who was able to say to me “you are not doing that stroke technique quite right, this is what is looks like when you do it, but you need to do it like this instead” meant that in a matter of weeks my swimming improved vastly. It just turned out I had been doing my technique wrong all those years, but nobody had ever told me I was doing it wrong and how to do it right.

I need to start small with stretching first...do a little at a time. But getting motivated for exercise has always been tough for me.

That is always the way it is. It is the getting started that is the most difficult. Once you do, it gets easier to keep at it. And I have heard results of a study which suggest that if you get into a regular exercise routine and keep it up for six months, chances are you will keep it up for life.

Well currently I try and work out once a week. By work out I mean getting hot & sweaty - I try and go for a long walk at least every other day (but I aim for daily).

As for the exercise, I lift weights (dumbells, kettlebell), do tricep dips, plank, sit ups, russian twists, crunches, dead bugs.

I have a bit of a confession / bad habit though...

I often skip leg day :ph34r: I really need to do more squats

Whenever I start lagging behind my intended exercise dose, I put my foot down and kick my ass to be more disciplined. I walk, jog, dance regularly if I am disciplined. Else, when I am not, I walk at least!

arcaneEnthusiast

I generally only bike when the weather isn't crazy and i have a school holiday or only a little homework over the weekend. Exercising is kind of rare :[

Well, I don't actually "exercise" much.

But my job is shoveling horse crap and walking dogs. So I do get out and move every day.

Last winter/spring I was jogging a few days/week. But I have an extremely low tolerance for heat, so I quit in the Summer. I have not been motivated enough to start up again. ...It's actually kind of embarrassing because it takes me 25-30 minutes to "run" 2 miles.

It worries me a little that I don't get cardio work outs. But I am not Overly worried about it, because my job is an active one.

Greetings from another fanatical bicyclist! Regarding swimming, my belief is that in the case of the majority of people who would say that they can’t swim, it is not true. What is true is that they don’t know how to swim. They just need someone who is a good teacher to teach them. If you are capable of cycling, running, hiking and rock climbing, then you are almost certainly capable of also being a strong swimmer.

I learnt to swim when I was 5, but I was never good at it and I considered myself a weak swimmer for years. All swimming lessons I had were with large groups of other people and one teacher who had to teach and supervise everyone. Twenty years later, I took it upon myself to get some one-on-one personal training from a swimming teacher. The results were incredible. Having a person paying attention to just me and no one else, who was able to say to me “you are not doing that stroke technique quite right, this is what is looks like when you do it, but you need to do it like this instead” meant that in a matter of weeks my swimming improved vastly. It just turned out I had been doing my technique wrong all those years, but nobody had ever told me I was doing it wrong and how to do it right.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write that reply to me. I think I just discovered my New Year's resolution!

I don't exercise anywhere near as much as I would like to, although I'm far from sedentary. I used to hit the gym 2-3 times a week and pump iron and swim, but sadly I had to give up my membership due to financial issues. I really miss it, and I'm hoping I can re-up my membership this coming year. I also like to walk my dogs, but living in this part of the world it's tough to find good weather (especially in winter) for that. Summer is good but my dogs are huge and one of them is heavily furred and can't tolerate the heat (the other one is getting old and he probably wouldn't do well with heat either). That in itself is a real workout - simply controlling 225lbs worth of raring to go dogs is tough!

These days I have to content myself with various household duties to avoid being sedentary, and some days that entails a good bit of moving around. Cooking, cleaning, yard work (especially the fall as I have an acre's worth of leaves to rake), doing seasonal stuff like gardening and lugging firewood around in winter. And on top of that is my job - I'm on my feet most of the average day and I end up going up and down the stairs I don't know how many times, so I know I do several stories worth of stairs each day. But I still want to get back to the gym.

I go jogging. Not every week, but on average once a week. At least, at the start of the school term. And for hours at a time.

I don't really like physical excercise but I picked up jogging a while ago because I have no reason not do something for my health. I do it three times a week in a nearby forest - I like being in the forest so that helps me find motivation. In summer I sometimes go swimming or biking but mostly for fun and not for working out.

When I was younger, I loved playing soccer, softball, and horseback riding (western). In college, I was pretty sedentary, but because of the location (mountainous region where very few bike to class) it was a workout everyday to get to your classes, and snow and ice made it even more of a challenge. I took weight training as a PE class and loved it, but I don't feel comfortable being the only girl in the weights section of the gym, so I stay home and just use resistance bands. Now that I'm out of college, I recently got an elliptical to try and exercise 5 time a week, but I don't know if it's enough or even helping (I was reading how some say you should alternate every 3-4mins. with stronger resistance for a minute for 20 minutes, and you should be dead tired when you finish O.o )

When at work (on vacation now), I go for 1/2 hour walks every day that weather permits. Otherwise, I go to the gym 3 times a week and do 20 minutes of cardio (elliptical most often), and around 15 minutes of weight training.

Not looking forward to all of the typical New Years Resolution gym goers. At least they drop off in a month or two.

I walk to and from work, 2 miles each way. Also I have an active job, and accompany the people I take care of to exercise classes, where I sometimes participate.

Squirrel Combat

I mostly just walk and hike, but I know I need to get some running in, too. I'll get onto to more of each this next year.

What do you mean "proper, purposeful exercise". That's such an outdated concept, sports are so 20th century:

http://transitionnorwich.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/sports-are-so-last-century.html

Pretty much my only means of transport is cycling. I only walk very short distances, and a few times a year I go places by train. I grow all my fruit and veg, so I garden quite a bit. I chop maybe a tonne of wood a year. But "proper, purposeful exercise"? Never.

So I had the following answers:

I do no exercise at all.

Yes, I do even more than I need to.

I don’t do any exercise.

I do enough exercise.

I really think this poll is like asking people for their sexuality but leaving out the asexual option. You only exercise, only need exercise if your life is dominated by fossil fuels.

I excercise 5-7 days a week. I don't excercise enough, hopefully my legs are fully recovered soon so I can strenghten my legs and run :p

Archived