Trans Moments?

nerdperson777

I had a moment last night. I was talking to a friend, and we were talking about gender splits in different disciplines. How women are so outnumbered by men in physics, math, computer science, and, interestingly enough, in philosophy. So, when pulling anecdotal stories of various classes we'd taken and the gender split we could see in them, I just decided to count myself as whichever binary gender "needed the help". It was an amusing conversation :P

This is so funny because in all my years in computer science (which was evenly split in high school, but stacked with guys in college), I always had this voice in my head that, "I didn't belong there. I wasn't like any of these guys." They were your stereotypical nerdy guys, though thankfully less so than at a technical school. I was just someone who happened to be really good at it.

I was pretty friendly with them, but outside of class on my own, I naturally gravitated to the English department kids and their clubs and activities. They were mostly women and hipster guys. They couldn't understand 1) how I'd found my way there and 2) why someone so technically adept was so interested in their stuff. After I started writing for a magazine and poetry journal, I became somewhat of a novelty to them :)

Back at MIT, someone asked one of my housemates (who was majoring in Computer Science) what the gender ratio was in his classes, and he related the story back to us, saying that he'd told his friend he didn't know because he sat in the back of the room, but the ratio of ponytails to non-ponytails was 50/50. :)

Calligraphette_Coe

Back at MIT, someone asked one of my housemates (who was majoring in Computer Science) what the gender ratio was in his classes, and he related the story back to us, saying that he'd told his friend he didn't know because he sat in the back of the room, but the ratio of ponytails to non-ponytails was 50/50. :)

I've always loved the MIT AI Labs koans.

It is recorded that once, when Master Foo was iterating along a beach, he came upon two of his disciples arguing by a computer processor. "It is subtracting positive 1", declared the first. "No; it is adding negative 1", asserted the other. Master Foo answered them thus: "Not incrementing, not decrementing — Equalizing!" whereupon both were enlightened.

Sometimes my interrupted gender transition seemed like that-- a return to the blessed Uncarved Block before puberty saddled us with differentiation.

nerdperson777

I had a moment last night. I was talking to a friend, and we were talking about gender splits in different disciplines. How women are so outnumbered by men in physics, math, computer science, and, interestingly enough, in philosophy. So, when pulling anecdotal stories of various classes we'd taken and the gender split we could see in them, I just decided to count myself as whichever binary gender "needed the help". It was an amusing conversation :P

This is so funny because in all my years in computer science (which was evenly split in high school, but stacked with guys in college), I always had this voice in my head that, "I didn't belong there. I wasn't like any of these guys." They were your stereotypical nerdy guys, though thankfully less so than at a technical school. I was just someone who happened to be really good at it.

I was pretty friendly with them, but outside of class on my own, I naturally gravitated to the English department kids and their clubs and activities. They were mostly women and hipster guys. They couldn't understand 1) how I'd found my way there and 2) why someone so technically adept was so interested in their stuff. After I started writing for a magazine and poetry journal, I became somewhat of a novelty to them :)

Usually I've heard that CS and Engineering classes are 20% female. When I took AP Physics in high school, there were 7 girls in a class of 35 (when I identified as such). I believe my university said something like 17%. But we can't just look in a classroom and say who's male and female anymore. ;) Plus I still look female and my hair has almost never been long enough for a ponytail. I've probably had at most 5 ponytails in my life, just because once last year I had to cosplay a character that tied up her hair to pass as male. I kept my hair a little longer just for the con I was going to.

My whole life is one big trans moment :P

No, honestly, it could be seen that way.

There are things that worry me about my trans-ness and safety more than others. My environment is a mix of highly transphobic and highly violent, and mostly ignorant and not giving a damn, some welcoming faces, people. Fingers crossed so the welcoming people multiply, alas not the biggest thing for me these days, because honestly I don't give a damn either way; I've lived through worse conditions and lived, if I'm another person on a murder list tomorrow, too bad, but I believe in reincarnation, I'll come back in another form. :P Off this tangent though.

I never really passed well - I'm not cis dyadic, I never acted as people's idea of 'a girl'. My mindset and way of carrying myself through the space simply isn't cut for it, I was the 'weird girl'. In almost all cases, ideals and values and protection of others comes before my own safety, so there's a catalyst for a social boom. There have been many of these. I'm not exactly opposed to the idea of playing people if it's what keeps people I want alive, alive (cough: me, for starters.) Where it bothers me is denied access to things I need (medical care, basic human compassion, basic rights of speech, etc) because of my 'trans status', or whatevedr that is. But I learned to take care of my needs in other ways. I've studied medicine for a few years on my own. I've learned from paramedics. I've done self surgeries. I've studied herbology and toxicology. I've studied the hell of alternative therapies. Life is doable. I may not be able to fix all that's medically odd with my body, or all that I wish fixed - but I can learn to make it work to my advantage, and I can certainly not give a flying f about other people.

Hate can hurt me, but that pain passes. It cannot destroy me. Only I can destroy me, people don't have that power over me, not any more.

nerdperson777

Hate can hurt me, but that pain passes. It cannot destroy me. Only I can destroy me, people don't have that power over me, not any more.

The way I thought of it, there's no reason for me to be suicidal. (People think that's great! You're not suicidal!) A lifetime of torture is more miserable than taking a life once. (Oh....) So then I am making myself sad when I think I deserve it. It's not their words anymore.

Yeah but that's just off sort of advice from people who haven't been there, because things just don't work that way (and there's always a reason to be suicidal - chemistry itself would be enough of a reason, our bodies aren't stupid, when we feel suicidal there bloody is a reason enough for it, whether people understand it or not is a different question altogether) - and being trapped in a situation one can't change is always enough of a reason to be suicidal.

Heck, who should even need a reason to be suicidal? As if it weren't bad enough it happens. Even once. Then even multiple times. Or every day. Multiple times a day. (and they say we are the crazy ones.)

Just correcting that I'm not saying people are doing things to themselves, no way; it's other factors doing things. But as was pointed out, people have the power to reclaim them - in spite of these factors - just some times, it's a longer road.

Calligraphette_Coe

My whole life is one big trans moment :P

:::snippage:::::

Yeah, isn't THAT the truth! The proverbial gift that keeps on giving?

But don't you get tired almost to the limits of your endurance at times of being continually stung by those Scorpions? I know from having gone to the edge myself, of having gun in hand heading towards my temple, that sometimes you don't get the psychological vasodilators into the bloodstream of your psyche until the nimbus of those gestalt crises almost overwhelm?

Try as I might, I can't seem to ban the Scorpions totally from My Desert. But I know how to avoid most of them. Most of the time.

I often think that without certain Moments of Zen happening when I *really* needed them, I would be dead or a basket case.

Who is John Galt?

nerdperson777

Looking up whether your insurance covers transgender treatment instead of studying for finals.

So the only thing I could find is a forum post that says that my insurance covers transdermal hormones. To get personal estimates, I need a login and password, which probably my parents have. I'm not going to ask now during finals week and I go home for spring break in 4 days anyway.

I told my friend on the bus that I can't wait to tell people "don't touch my shoulder or you'll grow a mustache". Her reply was "are you going to grow a mustache?" "I'm not planning to, but if I do, I'll get rid of it." Well, I'm a boy, not a man.

butterflydreams

Decided to risk it and drop a really direct hint to my mom in an email I sent her.

(We were talking about me meeting people)

"I've always said I wished I could see some girl driving by in a sweet car like a Porsche 944...but it never happens. How about I be that girl driving that car?"

She didn't respond to that bit...but I wonder how she took it.

(Hadley would never drive a 944 though. That's the poor person's Porsche ;) I'm not rich, they're just too common. I'm actually looking at classics like the 914 :wub: )

i just remember an incident from work, i can be very squeamish about gross things that makes me unwell. one day in work i blurted out "and my passport calls me a man" on this.

it is a take on "and i call myself a man" but instead it goes to the official document which states me a man.

one person listening to me talking what quite disturbed by my comment while the other, i think laughed and explained what she identified that i meant by it (my squeamishness) :)

Certified Cake Decorator

Trying to explain how dysphoric you are feeling but not wanting to say the word dysphoria :/

So then your friends just think you bail on them all the time but really you have a legit reason you cant leave the house.

(A)rrogant Avian

I just got back from a three day school camp, and I had a counter in my head counting all the ace (and trans) moments that happened.

#1) They segregated the girls and boys tents and they said, "The boys cannot go into the girl's tents." And I thought, "So I can't go into the girl's tents? Wait.... I AM a girl.... Oh, right!"

#2) I didn't want to be in a tent with girls, because they're girls, even though a friend (who's a girl) offered me being in her tent with her, but I refused and got a tent all to myself. The best thing was that the tent I got all to myself was not a girl's or a boy's tent.

#3) We did surfing and I wore a singlet under my wetsuit, and after I finished surfing my singlet was drenched, I was fine with it, but I forgot to bring another top to wear. Someone got really upset with me about it, saying that I needed to wear a jacket, but I said, "But they..." Pointing over at some boys, "...aren't even wearing a SHIRT!" And they reminded me that I have breasts and I said, "What if I don't want to have breasts?" and she said, "You can't change it, it was the hand you were dealt." I said, whilst thinking about top surgery, "Not necessarily...." I was about to out myself, but luckily the person's phone rang.

#4) I was hanging out with my friends (who are boys) and they started playing a variation of spin the bottle mixed with truth or dare. I was talking to a friend of mine (a girl) and we went closer to them and they stopped their little game, I asked them what they were talking about, and they said 'boy's stuff', but I was completely fine to stay and listen, whilst it deterred my little friend.

#5) I really liked the wetsuits that they made us wear for surfing, it compressed my chest okay.

#6) The toilets and the showers were gendered.

I am sorry that this is a little bit messy. At the moment I cannot remember many more, but I think there were more.

nerdperson777

So I came home for Spring Break and Dad told me to wash the laundry I left in the middle of the floor. He's very cis about things and doesn't understand. I said that I might not have enough laundry to wash because I separate by wash warm and wash cold. Then he asked, "Are you a boy or a girl?" I said, "Boy." "Boys don't care." I could've refuted him but I thought whatever, it's not worth it. He's also Mom's troll so he doesn't have to troll me too.

So I came home for Spring Break and Dad told me to wash the laundry I left in the middle of the floor. He's very cis about things and doesn't understand. I said that I might not have enough laundry to wash because I separate by wash warm and wash cold. Then he asked, "Are you a boy or a girl?" I said, "Boy." "Boys don't care." I could've refuted him but I thought whatever, it's not worth it. He's also Mom's troll so he doesn't have to troll me too.

"Boys don't care"

LOLWUT

LOVE IT! Dash, you always find the best shirts :D

butterflydreams

"Boys don't care"

LOLWUT

Hahaha, I was raised to put it all in one load. Cold water only. We were poor :P It worked out well in college because with limited washers/dryers and bafflingly inept college students *just* learning how to do laundry (lolwut?!?!) I could barely get one load in anyway. I also ironed my shirts when I was in high school. That was one boy who cared ;)

nerdperson777

"Boys don't care"

LOLWUT

Dad's just really weird. I'm pretty sure I inherited it from him. He confuses stereotypical gendered activities with the gender itself. He's forgetting the meticulously tidy men and the rough butch women.

"Boys don't care"

LOLWUT

Hahaha, I was raised to put it all in one load. Cold water only. We were poor :P It worked out well in college because with limited washers/dryers and bafflingly inept college students *just* learning how to do laundry (lolwut?!?!) I could barely get one load in anyway. I also ironed my shirts when I was in high school. That was one boy who cared ;)

Whenever I tried doing my own laundry, Mom would always try to show me or I do it myself and she yells at me for doing it wrong so I get discouraged. Same thing happened once with cooking. She yelled at me so I just left. But when I got to college I thought, this isn't so hard... It's just that no one cleans the lint catcher thingy. Sometimes it's so filled and I think why are people so lazy. I think they're fuzzy so I always clean it out. :P

nerdperson777

Filling out forms that ask for sex or gender. I define sex as the body from birth and gender as gender identity. Lately I've been getting forms that go:

Well, since you said gender, I'll put male. *reads the end of the line*

Male__ Female__ Transgendered__

Technically transgendered is wrong, but they tried. Okay, I'll just tick that. Plus they don't know if it's FtM or MtF so it's basically the same as saying "you still don't know my gender".

Calligraphette_Coe

Filling out forms that ask for sex or gender. I define sex as the body from birth and gender as gender identity. Lately I've been getting forms that go:

Technically transgendered is wrong, but they tried. Okay, I'll just tick that. Plus they don't know if it's FtM or MtF so it's basically the same as saying "you still don't know my gender".

Male__ Female__ Transgendered__ Parfait __X___

(I always wanted to do that on a form somewhere.....)

my mother is very similar, applying gender stereotypes and tends to spend some of her free time referring to how boys are like this and girls like that, it really annoys me.

Certified Cake Decorator

I like to think of myself as my pet's mom, but i dont want anyone else to because i am not a girl. But saying "come to your parent" isnt the same as saying "momma's here" you know?

So i say it quietly :)

nerdperson777

my mother is very similar, applying gender stereotypes and tends to spend some of her free time referring to how boys are like this and girls like that, it really annoys me.

After looking at gender for quite a bit, I find that everyone does it. I had a friend who was going to take an education class and do the tutoring portion with me. She ended up dropping after realizing how much work it was but she also originally said that her friend was going to do it too so "three girls" were doing this together. So while I was a tutor for the school, all the teachers were trying to be polite to me when I was helping them so for at least 5 weeks I was being called "Miss [birth Name]". I was helping out elsewhere for pure volunteering and they did the same thing. But since I'm done with that class, and I'll be busy next quarter, I don't have to suffer that anymore. I also started a small job as a mental math TA (will maybe be a teacher soon, depending on availability of students) and since I didn't have a car to go to the far location, I got a ride from my teacher to the bus stop on the way back. There was a boy in the class who just refused to listen to adults anymore. He made a comment about boys being naughty and such. Little did he know what I identified as.

So yeah, I've found that everyone uses the concept of gender to make comments all the time. I try to be more careful now, but I sometimes used calling someone a girl as a derogatory term, especially with my gaming friends (who were all cis straight guys) when we did play before I found out my identity. I haven't talked to them much lately since we haven't been playing but they know that I'm not a girl to some extent, one feeling more than the other since he had a crush on me, which was awkward. I think we are finally reconciliating since I felt bad for him buying me so many games so I'm trying to give back. Oh wait, I remember an ace moment with this now. I better post that before I forget.

Male__ Female__ Transgendered__ Parfait __X___

(I always wanted to do that on a form somewhere.....)

Male ___ Female _____ Transgendered _____ *written by hand in flowery letters: Unicorn __<3___

I like it.

butterflydreams

So yeah, I've found that everyone uses the concept of gender to make comments all the time. I try to be more careful now, but I sometimes used calling someone a girl as a derogatory term, especially with my gaming friends (who were all cis straight guys) when we did play before I found out my identity. I haven't talked to them much lately since we haven't been playing but they know that I'm not a girl to some extent, one feeling more than the other since he had a crush on me, which was awkward. I think we are finally reconciliating since I felt bad for him buying me so many games so I'm trying to give back. Oh wait, I remember an ace moment with this now. I better post that before I forget.

I mean, on the one hand, I get it. People are lazy. Stereotypes exist for reasons. Generally speaking, they're accurate enough often enough that they persist. I'm not crazy about it, but meh.

On the other hand, I can't tell you how hurt I felt some years ago actually (long before my conscious gender/asexual journey) when I was hanging out with my cis-female friend. We went to the grocery store to get supplies for making raspberry-lime rickeys. Whenever I go to the store for strange ingredients, I like to start with the least-likely-to-find ingredients, that way, I know fastest if they'll even have what I need. My friend kept criticizing how I was going through the store with things like "ugh...guys are so bad at shopping! Oh, it's not your fault, that's how it is." And we both shared a chuckle. But deep down, I was so hurt. This wasn't a gendered thing. And I love shopping, especially at the grocery store for a fun culinary project. She said stuff to me like that all the time and it hurt every time :(. Maybe now I understand why it hurt?

nerdperson777

I mean, on the one hand, I get it. People are lazy. Stereotypes exist for reasons. Generally speaking, they're accurate enough often enough that they persist. I'm not crazy about it, but meh.

On the other hand, I can't tell you how hurt I felt some years ago actually (long before my conscious gender/asexual journey) when I was hanging out with my cis-female friend. We went to the grocery store to get supplies for making raspberry-lime rickeys. Whenever I go to the store for strange ingredients, I like to start with the least-likely-to-find ingredients, that way, I know fastest if they'll even have what I need. My friend kept criticizing how I was going through the store with things like "ugh...guys are so bad at shopping! Oh, it's not your fault, that's how it is." And we both shared a chuckle. But deep down, I was so hurt. This wasn't a gendered thing. And I love shopping, especially at the grocery store for a fun culinary project. She said stuff to me like that all the time and it hurt every time :(. Maybe now I understand why it hurt?

I'm bad at shopping! :D Also the fact that I don't know what's aesthetically appealing. It did bore me a bit when I had to go around finding stuff with my mom. It might've gotten a little more interesting when we were shopping for me because I was doing something for once. I felt good that one time we were at the giant shopping center in Las Vegas and I was carrying my backpack, Dad's backpack, Mom's purse, and maybe a few other bags. Manly macho feeling :P

Your friend maybe could've said something like, "but not you, you're fine." Unless they didn't think you were but who knows. That friend who had a crush on me sometimes ragequits from games when something he doesn't like starts happening. Like when Team Fortress 2 first came up with the Mann vs. Machine game type. There was a rumor that if you got all the money dropped for the entire game, you would get or raise your chance of getting a super rare gold item. When we missed like $5 he left. When we play Killing Floor and he dies way too many times (even though he's generally a good player), he might get frustrated too. And once plainly I just made some sound he didn't like in my mic in TeamSpeak. After one of his ragequits, I actually told this guy who made fun of us, calling us bf and gf, that he was being a girl. And I was generally mellow. The guy with the crush was always defending me when I just took the insults our friend made because I didn't really care what he said. Now it's a whole different story, but yeah.

Oh and also, not really a trans thing, but I learned the word "gay" when I was 9 because one of my older cousins was using it as a derogatory term. For a year or two, I actually used that, but afterwards I went back to being an absolutely curse-free child. I started using crap and shit in college but it's a lot better than what other people could be saying I guess.

Conscientious Ghost

I've been volunteering at this Early Learning Center since the end of August 2014 and I've been correcting people about my gender and pronouns since the end of August 2014. The day before St. Patrick's Day a volunteer named Saneya and I were decorating and covering this large box with three middle holes on three sides. Krystal (another volunteer) approached us and said, "Do you ladies need help?"

Before I opened my mouth to correct Krystal, Saneya instantly replied, "Jayden's a boy. He's not a lady."

Bless Saneya for having my back, and I couldn't have thanked her enough.

littlepersonparadox

I use the transgendered option for my non-binary ness. Also I have a RA here that knows I'm non-binary and the formfor this years residence application for the summer I put other for my gender, I wonder what's that going to do for the roommate pairings since they always try to match genders but I know they put a FTM with a MTF as roommates out of IDK where to put them on behalf of RA. I'm hope ing a MTF friend of mine who is also doing summer classes will choose to stay in Rez then we can be roomies over the summer.

nerdperson777

I use the transgendered option for my non-binary ness. Also I have a RA here that knows I'm non-binary and the formfor this years residence application for the summer I put other for my gender, I wonder what's that going to do for the roommate pairings since they always try to match genders but I know they put a FTM with a MTF as roommates out of IDK where to put them on behalf of RA. I'm hope ing a MTF friend of mine who is also doing summer classes will choose to stay in Rez then we can be roomies over the summer.

I think I had this in the thread somewhere, but I was walking with my friend and her brother one time. Her brother and I were being obnoxious to her. She said, "Omg, stop." I said, "This is what happens when you hang out with guys." She took that to mean come out for me to her brother. Right after that, she asked me if I was going to do the LGBT housing next year. I said, "No, I like living with you guys" (meaning her and our other friend). Just because I'm trans* doesn't mean I want to live with queer people. Like most people say, we don't want it to define our identity. There's more to us than our queer label. But the year after, we are no longer guaranteed housing so I might do that if the other friend isn't still around. We both said we would be around for at least 5 years. So I'll most likely stay with my group. It would be interesting if I lived with an FtM or MtF. I'm not sure how it'd be like but an interesting thought. One of those out of curiosity things rather than "yeah totally do it" things.

I've been volunteering at this Early Learning Center since the end of August 2014 and I've been correcting people about my gender and pronouns since the end of August 2014. The day before St. Patrick's Day a volunteer named Saneya and I were decorating and covering this large box with three middle holes on three sides. Krystal (another volunteer) approached us and said, "Do you ladies need help?"

Before I opened my mouth to correct Krystal, Saneya instantly replied, "Jayden's a boy. He's not a lady."

Bless Saneya for having my back, and I couldn't have thanked her enough.

God, I hate being called a lady ... but what if I'm not a boy either? Why do people always need to refer to someone's (supposed) gender, as if that was their defining trait?

Anyway, it's great that your colleague got your back. :)

Archived