Trans Moments?

nerdperson777

So you're playing Munchkin (the card game) and either you're Really Trying to get the "curse" card that changes you into the "opposite gender" or you get the card and you're staring at it wondering just what your "opposite gender" even means in the first place, because nonbinary genders don't have clear "opposites".

"That means you're a boy."

"But aren't I already a boy...?"

So you're playing Munchkin (the card game) and either you're Really Trying to get the "curse" card that changes you into the "opposite gender" or you get the card and you're staring at it wondering just what your "opposite gender" even means in the first place, because nonbinary genders don't have clear "opposites".

I actually had this the first time I played Munckin.

There are also a number of cards you can only play if you're 'this' gender. I actually had to take a few minutes, I was so pissed off about this. If one is 'assigned' a gender in the beginning of the game, and then people 'are' that for the rest of the game, that's fine, but I just couldn't handle it referring to your actual state in the real world. Anyhow, I started with one of those cards, as well as a 'change of gender' card, so when my turn came, I played them, and had a lot of fun the rest of the game with saying: 'I'm a guy, so this gives me +4'.

I actually got some strange looks from my friends, because I just suddenly got angry. So I told them about the part of it being annoying that it refers to a state in the real world. It wasn't the best time or place to tell them of my struggles of 'fitting' within either 'male' or 'female'.

There are also a number of cards you can only play if you're 'this' gender. I actually had to take a few minutes, I was so pissed off about this. If one is 'assigned' a gender in the beginning of the game, and then people 'are' that for the rest of the game, that's fine, but I just couldn't handle it referring to your actual state in the real world. Anyhow, I started with one of those cards, as well as a 'change of gender' card, so when my turn came, I played them, and had a lot of fun the rest of the game with saying: 'I'm a guy, so this gives me +4'.

I actually got some strange looks from my friends, because I just suddenly got angry. So I told them about the part of it being annoying that it refers to a state in the real world. It wasn't the best time or place to tell them of my struggles of 'fitting' within either 'male' or 'female'.

I also always got bothered with Munchkin because of this and would play the gender bending card on myself habitually, multiple times in one game if I could. This meant that my character often had that -5 penalty, which I guess is the Munchkin equivalent of gender dysphoria.

After I started identifying as agender, I invented house rules for how gendered cards affect me. At the start of the game, I am agender. I can't use gender-specific cards and all gendered effects don't affect me. If a gender switch card is played on me, I am bigender, and suffer every gendered penalty and bonus that goes my way. Other players complain when this helps me, of course, but that's Agender Privilege for you. ;)

I also always got bothered with Munchkin because of this and would play the gender bending card on myself habitually, multiple times in one game if I could. This meant that my character often had that -5 penalty, which I guess is the Munchkin equivalent of gender dysphoria.

After I started identifying as agender, I invented house rules for how gendered cards affect me. At the start of the game, I am agender. I can't use gender-specific cards and all gendered effects don't affect me. If a gender switch card is played on me, I am bigender, and suffer every gendered penalty and bonus that goes my way. Other players complain when this helps me, of course, but that's Agender Privilege for you. ;)

I like your house rules!

I guess this means I would have to own the deck though since the player that owns the deck has the absolute authority (in the rules!) to resolve rules disputes.

I last played the game in 2003 and didn't know exactly how to feel about the binary gendered nature of the game, and plus I was playing with a friend who was trying to be accepting of me as trans? but not actually. And so all that was also in the room with us, so to speak, and I couldn't just say "so I'm male this round at game start." Or well I could have but it was his deck and he wouldn't have let me.

"The Munchkin equivalent of gender dysphoria" -- YES (said with discomfort).

[snip]

The Munchkin version of gender dysphoria... You just won. Every game.

Also, I don't think I've ever played a game of that where you actually had to play the gender you are in real life. I've always swapped which I play, and just pick randomly at the beginning of the game. I don't even have to be "out" to do so! I remember the first time I played and after they'd explained the rules to me, people went around choosing their gender. There were three men and me (AFAB). So the first two guys put their pennies on the male icon, then I said "Well, you two are boring" and proceeded to put mine on the male icon too. So the last guy chuckled and put his on the female icon, saying "Well, SOMEONE's gotta rep the women in this game!". Awesome group of people.

I enjoyed that game very much. And got the transition card played on me twice :P

Edit: Now I need to invent house rules for genderfluid.... :ph34r:

artandceramics

Loving this thread, keep it up, folks!!

Now I need to invent house rules for genderfluid.... :ph34r:

Mind if I take a stab at this?

At the start of your turn every round, before you do anything else, you roll the die to determine your gender.

1 - Everything is terrible. Gendered penalties affect you and bonuses don't.

2 - You're bigender. All gendered effects affect you.

3 - You're agender. No gendered effects affect you.

4 - You are male and are treated by the game as such.

5 - You are female and are treated by the game as such.

6 - Everything is awesome. Gendered bonuses affect you and penalties don't.

Other players can see what you roll each turn and get these rules explained at the beginning of the game, but if they can't remember what you rolled afterwards or what that number means, you can lie. If the sex swap card is played on you, you must instantly reroll your gender (you can wind up with the same one, though) and you take -5 in the next combat because reasons.

Yes, this is all purposefully kind of confusing - it's important to get the full genderfluid experience.

At the start of your turn every round, before you do anything else, you roll the die to determine your gender.

Other players can see what you roll each turn and get these rules explained at the beginning of the game, but if they can't remember what you rolled afterwards or what that number means, you can lie. If the sex swap card is played on you, you must instantly reroll your gender (you can wind up with the same one, though) and you take -5 in the next combat because reasons.

Yes, this is all purposefully kind of confusing - it's important to get the full genderfluid experience.

I love this, as well as the agender/bigender set proposed by Kappamaki. I really need to get a deck so I can decide the rules. In the meantime, of course, I can always propose playing like that 'as an experiment' and hope the owner of the deck agrees with me.

(A)rrogant Avian

I remember on school camps whenever I was put in a tent with heaps of girls, and I always felt so uncomfortable in those cabins/tents doing things like getting undressed, and being there when the girls would get undressed, because they were girls! I went on one of the camps that lasted about 2 days and not once did I change my underwear, because the girls were there, despite the fact that I have the same parts.....

So. Much. Love. *copies and puts away for next time I play it*

nerdperson777

I remember on school camps whenever I was put in a tent with heaps of girls, and I always felt so uncomfortable in those cabins/tents doing things like getting undressed, and being there when the girls would get undressed, because they were girls! I went on one of the camps that lasted about 2 days and not once did I change my underwear, because the girls were there, despite the fact that I have the same parts.....

Is it bad that in the middle and high (not as much) school locker rooms, I'd blankly stare at people's chests? More hints at my gender. There was this one girl that I remember being not that big in terms of size but her chest was big. :blush:

My roommate sophomore year of college tended to go around topless (well, without a shirt) in our room whenever it was hot. Whenever that happened, I just tended to quietly stare directly at my laptop and pretend nothing was super awkward, not knowing why it was or feeling valid enough to say anything. As for changing, I'd always use the bathroom - in our room, I was fully clothed. They wouldn't, and were blissfully unaware that there was any issue. :unsure:

I feel you, I was just recently on a camp trip. This was with grown women, though. I ended up sleeping in my sweater and shirt because I didn't want anyone to see me change.

nerdperson777

Went to the student health services at school today. The doctor asked when my last cycle was. I have become so dysphoric about it that I forgot to keep track. When I couldn't give an answer, they said that it was just to make sure I wasn't pregnant. Well, yeah. I'm a sex-repulsed ace. My risk of pregnancy is really low, not that I could tell them that.

butterflydreams

Is it bad that in the middle and high (not as much) school locker rooms, I'd blankly stare at people's chests? More hints at my gender. There was this one girl that I remember being not that big in terms of size but her chest was big. :blush:

My roommate sophomore year of college tended to go around topless (well, without a shirt) in our room whenever it was hot. Whenever that happened, I just tended to quietly stare directly at my laptop and pretend nothing was super awkward, not knowing why it was or feeling valid enough to say anything. As for changing, I'd always use the bathroom - in our room, I was fully clothed. They wouldn't, and were blissfully unaware that there was any issue. :unsure:

I feel you, I was just recently on a camp trip. This was with grown women, though. I ended up sleeping in my sweater and shirt because I didn't want anyone to see me change.

I just want to say how much I wish I could've heard these things when I was in middle school and high school and college. I remember when we did swimming in gym class in middle school. The locker room was really old school, kind of a 60s design. All the other guys had no problem at all changing in there and being out and about. I had heard the girls' locker room had little cubicles for changing, and I wished I could be over there. It's not that I was ashamed of my body, more like I didn't feel any innate sense of camaraderie with my male-bodied classmates. There were almost no guys I felt that way with. It was far easier to feel safe and reach out to girls...but at that age, boys can't do that, and girls don't want them anyway. So I drifted.

This become painfully more pronounced in college, and looking back on it, I would've had such a more pleasant time there had I been a girl.

I've never said this before, because I always thought it was a super weird and totally irrational thing to think, but I was always majorly concerned that people would "find out" I was a boy. I mean, it's not like it was a secret looking at me. Of course I was. Whereas other guys (especially in puberty and onward) seemed to flaunt their guy-ness, I hid it, and would become extremely ashamed if it was brought up. I know...silly, but that's how I felt.

I've never said this before, because I always thought it was a super weird and totally irrational thing to think, but I was always majorly concerned that people would "find out" I was a boy. I mean, it's not like it was a secret looking at me. Of course I was. Whereas other guys (especially in puberty and onward) seemed to flaunt their guy-ness, I hid it, and would become extremely ashamed if it was brought up. I know...silly, but that's how I felt.

Actually, count me in on that. There are times on the internet that I enjoy people now knowing my gender or whether my chest and hips are more flat or rounded. It's just so... irrelevant. And then, if I ever meet them in real life, I'm kinda disappointed that they get to see what kind of body I inhabit.

nerdperson777

On Thursday, during my martial arts practice, we were doing warm up kicks in our lines. My friend (who knows my identity) said, "Girl power line!" *sees guy at the end* "And [insert guy's name here]!" I said in a low voice, "Don't do this." Friend chuckles in an evil way.

She did this a different time before when there wasn't a guy in our line. My answer was "But I'm not..." She said, "Well, you were born one." She doesn't mind that I'm (or anyone) like this, but sometimes she acts so cis about it. She came out for me to her brother when I just meant to have an inside joke. "This is what happens when you hang out with guys" and she took that as she should tell her brother. I deduce that she's cisgenderless though.

I've never identified as Trans publicly. So here and now FIRST TIME EVER!

There has been times where I have been sitting on a bus, and there is a mum and toddler sat in the seat in front of me. The toddler is standing up looking my way...I smile; give a little wave. The toddler stares at me....and stares at me...and stares at me...at this point I've turned and looked out the window or looked at my phone. I'm aware of how AWKWARD I feel and how STUPID I feel at a toddler who is probably confused as to what I am. (Does this make sense).

Other times; in a pub about to order a drink; the barman SHOUTS IT OUT; what's HE or SHE HAVING? The rest of the people at the bar start laughing and sneering. I feel myself going red in the face; but feel I won't be driven out....so I reply back I OFTEN GET MISTAKEN FOR A BOY; BUT I WILL HAVE A PINT OF LAGER SINCE I AM OVER THE AGE OF 21! THANK YOU! (more laughter) Barman: SO WHAT ARE YOU THEN? I answer: I AM A HUMAN BEING, AND WHAT DOES MY GENDER HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH GETTING SERVED IN THIS ESTABLISHMENT? (more laughter) Barman: DO YOU WANT THAT SERVED WITH A HE PRONOUN OR A SHE PRONOUN? (more laughter) I reply: how much is it for the pint. I receive my pint and retreat to the other side of the pub with a separate bar, with my partner.

Shops: "Sorry son!", "sorry lad!" " This young lad!" "Are you a boy or a girl?"

It doesn't sit well with me when I'm being served in a shop and addressed as 'MADAM'.....this makes me completely cringe or being called a lady. I am a woman and I'm happy with the body I have. I have no intention of changing that.

Past: Dressed in trousers and a shirt. When I dress to look smart; I look like a smart young lad. It doesn't fit society's expectations. But I won't dress to please others I dress to how I feel comfortable.

Am I trans?

artandceramics

re: MJay

Being called madam freaks me the hell out.

I much prefer sir, which I have got on some occasions.

pitchblackonyx

creating a 'Mii" on my sisters "wii" I chose a fdemale body and then proceeded ti add male faical hair because it loked cool

sadly she got do dsisturbed by the sight theof "mii" that i had to delete the facial hair... :rolleyes:

nerdperson777

There has been times where I have been sitting on a bus, and there is a mum and toddler sat in the seat in front of me. The toddler is standing up looking my way...I smile; give a little wave. The toddler stares at me....and stares at me...and stares at me...at this point I've turned and looked out the window or looked at my phone. I'm aware of how AWKWARD I feel and how STUPID I feel at a toddler who is probably confused as to what I am. (Does this make sense).

Other times; in a pub about to order a drink; the barman SHOUTS IT OUT; what's HE or SHE HAVING? The rest of the people at the bar start laughing and sneering. I feel myself going red in the face; but feel I won't be driven out....so I reply back I OFTEN GET MISTAKEN FOR A BOY; BUT I WILL HAVE A PINT OF LAGER SINCE I AM OVER THE AGE OF 21! THANK YOU! (more laughter) Barman: SO WHAT ARE YOU THEN? I answer: I AM A HUMAN BEING, AND WHAT DOES MY GENDER HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH GETTING SERVED IN THIS ESTABLISHMENT? (more laughter) Barman: DO YOU WANT THAT SERVED WITH A HE PRONOUN OR A SHE PRONOUN? (more laughter) I reply: how much is it for the pint. I receive my pint and retreat to the other side of the pub with a separate bar, with my partner.

It doesn't sit well with me when I'm being served in a shop and addressed as 'MADAM'.....this makes me completely cringe or being called a lady. I am a woman and I'm happy with the body I have. I have no intention of changing that.

Past: Dressed in trousers and a shirt. When I dress to look smart; I look like a smart young lad. It doesn't fit society's expectations. But I won't dress to please others I dress to how I feel comfortable.

Am I trans?

You could be (with an asterisk). If your gender doesn't matter maybe try agender? I couldn't tell much from your trans moment.

creating a 'Mii" on my sisters "wii" I chose a fdemale body and then proceeded ti add male faical hair because it loked cool

sadly she got do dsisturbed by the sight theof "mii" that i had to delete the facial hair... :rolleyes:

I have two Miis. One is what people see me as, Cat, with bowl cut hair. My other one is spiky haired Calvin, previously named Max. Considering that my Wii is at least 7 years old, I should've realized I was trans* since I made both characters the moment I had my Wii. I quite like my asymmetrical curved smile, when I usually can't stand when things aren't symmetrical. Calvin has a symmetrical smile. With my thick-ish eyebrows...I have no idea where I'm going with this.

littlepersonparadox

Washing your binder in your date-mates detergent so it smells like them whenever you put your binder on! BONUS!

Am I trans?

No one can tell you whether you are trans or not. It's all about what you feel like inside. Do you feel like a man? A woman? Non-binary? None of the above? There are a lot of terms out there.

Welcome to the world of gender :D If you're really confused, I'd suggest starting a new thread here. We're all happy to help, and we can give you some definitions and share our own experiences to see if any of them resonate with you.

Washing your binder in your date-mates detergent so it smells like them whenever you put your binder on! BONUS!

Win. +1000.

On Thursday, during my martial arts practice, we were doing warm up kicks in our lines. My friend (who knows my identity) said, "Girl power line!" *sees guy at the end* "And [insert guy's name here]!" I said in a low voice, "Don't do this." Friend chuckles in an evil way.

She did this a different time before when there wasn't a guy in our line. My answer was "But I'm not..." She said, "Well, you were born one." She doesn't mind that I'm (or anyone) like this, but sometimes she acts so cis about it. She came out for me to her brother when I just meant to have an inside joke. "This is what happens when you hang out with guys" and she took that as she should tell her brother. I deduce that she's cisgenderless though.

Holy moly. If that were me I'd quit the martial arts class right there and then, that would be so upsetting to me. (I did quit martial arts over gender stuff. Different gender stuff.)

Certified Cake Decorator

You know what feeling you get when you have a 15 hour day and you take your binder off and it's like "yay i can breathe" but at the same time "boo i need to put this back on!" Because dysphoria.

Yeah that.

Probably just an AFAB trans moment though.

I had a moment last night. I was talking to a friend, and we were talking about gender splits in different disciplines. How women are so outnumbered by men in physics, math, computer science, and, interestingly enough, in philosophy. So, when pulling anecdotal stories of various classes we'd taken and the gender split we could see in them, I just decided to count myself as whichever binary gender "needed the help". It was an amusing conversation :P

butterflydreams

I had a moment last night. I was talking to a friend, and we were talking about gender splits in different disciplines. How women are so outnumbered by men in physics, math, computer science, and, interestingly enough, in philosophy. So, when pulling anecdotal stories of various classes we'd taken and the gender split we could see in them, I just decided to count myself as whichever binary gender "needed the help". It was an amusing conversation :P

This is so funny because in all my years in computer science (which was evenly split in high school, but stacked with guys in college), I always had this voice in my head that, "I didn't belong there. I wasn't like any of these guys." They were your stereotypical nerdy guys, though thankfully less so than at a technical school. I was just someone who happened to be really good at it.

I was pretty friendly with them, but outside of class on my own, I naturally gravitated to the English department kids and their clubs and activities. They were mostly women and hipster guys. They couldn't understand 1) how I'd found my way there and 2) why someone so technically adept was so interested in their stuff. After I started writing for a magazine and poetry journal, I became somewhat of a novelty to them :)

(A)rrogant Avian

I think a teacher (substitute probably) at my school is a transwoman, because I have heard people say stuff like, "She's a man." and all that. It makes me sad that that's how trans people are treated, and this is one reason that I am still in the closet.... Not really a trans moment, but I didn't know where else to post this.

This is so funny because in all my years in computer science (which was evenly split in high school, but stacked with guys in college), I always had this voice in my head that, "I didn't belong there. I wasn't like any of these guys." They were your stereotypical nerdy guys, though thankfully less so than at a technical school. I was just someone who happened to be really good at it.

I don't belong here, that's something that was roaming in my mind a lot when I was younger. I'm not sure if this is a trans moment, but take it for what it is. Going in the army is mandatory in Finland, but I managed to skip the service by making up a false mental health claim. I can be a convincing liar when I absolutely need to. I'm dead sure I wouldn't been able to handle it. A whole year being surrounded by bunch of 18 year old guys full of youth and vigor. Stuck in the barracks or in the middle of the forest with people who will be constantly talking about girls and telling raunchy jokes that I can never relate to. I would have had major trouble blending in.

nerdperson777

Looking up whether your insurance covers transgender treatment instead of studying for finals.

Talking to another trans* individual and pausing to realize that I used the wrong pronoun to describe another person. Then we both simultaneously said "they". Then discussing binders and how we try to look masculine while his MtF gf fills out trans insurance stuff in the middle of a food court. All this happened because I saw them walking in the engineering part of campus and decided to join them on their adventures.

Archived