Short Documentary on Asexuality

brightberry

I got this link via http://theasexualityblog.tumblr.com/ and I thought I'd share it with all of you.

Here's the article / video link: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/teenager-highlights-prejudice-discrimination-against-4776148

It's a mini-documentary on an asexual person's view on our hyper-sexualized culture. Take a couple minutes to check it out!

2015 Edit - For future reference:

Teenager highlights 'prejudice and discrimination' against asexuality with documentary
9 December 2014 By Richard Beech, Verena Vogt

18-year-old Josh Scott identifies himself as asexual and he now wants to draw attention to what he calls a 'hypersexualised' society

Asexuality - when someone does not experience sexual attraction to anyone of any gender - affects around 1 per cent of the population in the UK.

Josh Scott is one such person who identifies himself as being asexual, and has teamed up with a charity to produce a documentary and a booklet about asexuality.

Josh, from Brighton, believes that society has become "hypersexualised" and says there isn't enough information for young people to make informed choices about their sexual identity.

The 18-year-old feels that asexuality - where someone does not experience sexual attraction - is not addressed in mainstream media, and he is hoping to fill the gap by sharing his own experiences.

Josh worked with Fixers, a charity that supports young people aged between 16 and 25 to tackle any issue that matters to them, however they choose.

Josh says he thinks it is likely that he will find someone who makes him happy eventually, but that he found his teenage years difficult when he realised he simply wasn't sexually attracted to anyone.

With the support of creative professionals at the charity he has produced a short documentary film called Sex Pressure, as well as a magazine-style booklet, Asexual Pride, which aims to answer questions, dispel myths and offer guidance.

Josh, who identifies as asexual, said: "I want to try to help a misunderstood community, and think it is so important to teach young people in school about it.

"I want to tell people about asexuality and let young people know it's up to them if and when they have a sexual relationship and that they shouldn't feel pressured into it."

Natalie Woods, a counsellor from LGBT Brighton who appears in Josh's Fixers film to support the campaign, said: "I think there is less pressure to put people in boxes so there's a wider spectrum of sexual orientations that are better understood.

"But I do still think there is a lot of prejudice and discrimination that people face when their sexual identity is in a minority group and outside what other people consider to be the norm.

Josh, who has also presented his pamphlet to local sexual health clinics, added: "When I first began this campaign, it was because I felt I needed to face particular demons. I wanted to take a challenge and explore the fundamentals of my own sexuality. I think there should be positive ways like this for everybody to relieve pressure.

"The booklet is mainly for people who want answers. I hope it will give information and serve as a guide. But I've also personally put certain things behind me and achieved things I wouldn't have been able to do before. This campaign has been a life-changer."

Fixers works with young people across the UK. Each Fixer is supported by the charity's team of in-house team creative professionals to produce a resource to get their chosen message across.

Many young people choose to create a short film, website, poster campaign, information leaflet, or hold an event or flashmob, and they have campaigned on issues as diverse as cyber-bullying, self-harm, suicide and the need for more random acts of kindness.

If anyone wants Josh Scott's pamphlet, please follow this link. If the link stops working, please PM me.

Edited by ithaca
  • Like 3
Mycroft is Yourcroft

Thank you for linking, that was a good short documentary.

I wish there was a link for the pamphlet!

*waves magic wand over the Google search bar and makes a wish come true*

http://www.fixers.org.uk/news/10896-11208/asexual-pride.php

2015 Edit - For future reference:

Asexual Pride

Posted On: 10th Nov 2014

LARGExp_pyC6Yz.jpg

Asexuality may not be a topic addressed in mainstream media, but Josh Scott from Brighton is hoping to fill the gap by sharing his own experiences.

The 18-year-old feels that it’s important to educate others about the sexual orientation, hoping to combat misconceptions and assist others coming to terms with their sexuality.

‘I feel that society is hyper-sexualised,’ explains Josh.

'This isn't necessarily a bad thing except that there isn't enough information about asexuality around.

‘I want to try to help a misunderstood community, and think it is so important to teach young people in school about it.'

According to the Asexual Visibility & Education Network, an asexual person is someone who does not experience sexual attraction – though there is considerable diversity among the community.

With Fixers, Josh has created a magazine-style booklet that answers questions, dispels myths and offers guidance to those who feel they don't know enough about the issue.

You can read Josh's Fixers booklet 'Asexual Pride' by clicking on the link below.

http://www.fixers.org.uk/UserFiles/Files/p_JFigCz.pdf

'When I first began this campaign, it was because I felt I needed to face particular demons,’ explains Josh.

'I wanted to take a challenge and explore the fundamentals of my own sexuality.

'I think there should be positive ways like this for everybody to relieve pressure.’

Speaking about his Fixers resource, Josh says: ‘The booklet is mainly for people who want answers. I hope it will give information and serve as a guide.'

Though the aim of his campaign has been to raise public awareness, Josh says he has grown and benefited himself in the process.

'I've personally put certain things behind me and achieved things I wouldn't have been able to do before.

'This campaign has been a life-changer.'

Edited by ithaca
  • Like 4
Aisntllecxtual

Thanks for bringing this video to my - and the community's - attention. Awareness is so very important. In particular, as I watched it, being an older network member, I was thinking, those who are grappling or repressed in coming to effective/conscious terms with their asexuality later in life might benefit from a similar short (or, even, for that matter, longer) documentary video. With that said, all documentary videos, regardless of age or any other factor directed, have cross-cutting universal relating appeal for those in the throes of questioning or fully explicitly realizing their sexual orientation.