• Protein powder
    • Vitamins
    • Minerals
    • Weight gainers
    • Omega 3
    • Creatine
    • Pre-workout
    • Restitution
    • Muscle mass increase (testosterone (legal), ZMA) etc)
    • Meal substitutes
    • Other
    • None
    • Amino acids (BCAA, glutamin etc, not protein powder/bars but "isolated" acids)
    • Bars (energy bars, protein bars etc)
    • Fat burners
    • Allergy
  2. 2. Why do you take it?

• Health reasons
    • Don't get enogh nutritions (not for lack of nutrution cos of excercising)
    • Better results from excercising
    • Weight loss
    • Weight gain (not if it intersects with option 2 or 3).
    • I don't take any of that
    • Other
  3. 3. What's your impression of dieatary supplements?

• Very postive
    • Positive
    • Little positive
    • Middle
    • Little negative
    • Negative
    • Very negative
    • Other
  4. 4. What's your impression of bodybuilding supplements?

• Very postive
    • Positive
    • Little positive
    • In the middle
    • Little negative
    • Negative
    • Very negative
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

So what kind of supplementa do you take (if any), why do you take them (or not) and what do you think of it? Here dietary supplements are basically vitamins and if you got health issues or don't get enough nutrutions (for example for vegetarians), bodybuilding supplements are excercising orientated and mostly for muscle gain and better results, i,e creatine. It is also other supplements, like Protein powder, which can both be for dietary and bodybuilding depending on why you use it.

It would be interestig to see what different people think of it, at least here it is really polarized where you either hate it or love it - while most hate it.

Personally I take whey protein, casein protein, creatine and pre-workout. And it helps me very much, so. I only have to eat like a rhino instead of an elephant :p

Note: This is strictly about legal/convential supplements, and not (!) illegal ones and/or doping. Also if you take any that I have not listed, please say them here so I can list them up nefore voting or just votw for other :)

I from time to time drink a soy protein shake but usually not even that. I prefer to get what I need from just everyday food. :mellow:

I from time to time drink a soy protein shake but usually not even that. I prefer to get what I need from just everyday food. :mellow:

If you do it for excercising, I would advise whey protein instead :) Cheaper, better quality and faster protein synthethis. Unless oyu're vegan or lactose intoerant of course :) Other than that it is good that you get enough nutritions from normal food and don't spend unnecessary amount of money.

I take a protein supplement, whey and calcium caseinate and I also cycle with creatine. Tyrosine, arginine, taurine, HMB, ZMA, tribulus and a fenugreek supp. are the others I have used/still use and I also take waxy maize starch. Having said all that, I am currently on the shelf due to a compressed nerve and have been told to take it easy.

I have taken a daily multi vit for years now and I swear by them. I exercise to feel better, it helps with my depression and anger issues, and I take supps. to get maximum benefits from my routine. I have mixed and matched, tried many other supps., but the ones above are the ones I have had most success from and my nephew is now reaping their rewards to.

I recently started taking vitamin D supplements for health reasons- my doctor says I'm deficient in vitamin D and needed more.

I've never taken any other dietary or bodybuilding supplements before, so my opinion on both is pretty neutral.

Janus the Fox

ive looked into those when losing weight and none of those are necessery to build or maintain a healthy weight. It'll do more harm than good in long term healt maintainence for me really. Just maintaining a healthier meal plan is enough and often tests in my frequent samples of bodily fluid shows that.

Ovens I see a negetive view on supplements stated above as i don't see much in terms of scientific proof It does anything good and it's marketed in a way, rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

I'm vegetarian but I take no supplements.

You should take creatine actually. It is clinically proven to be seriously positive for vegetarians due to their lack of creatine intake. It is however often overlooked and people often only associate it with body building. However it is also important for you general IQ levels and cognitive abilities among many other things.

ive looked into those when losing weight and none of those are necessery to build or maintain a healthy weight. It'll do more harm than good in long term healt maintainence for me really. Just maintaining a healthier meal plan is enough and often tests in my frequent samples of bodily fluid shows that.

Ovens I see a negetive view on supplements stated above as i don't see much in terms of scientific proof It does anything good and it's marketed in a way, rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

Well it is pretty much been proven scientifically over and over again that supplements do work. It have been cross checked with placebo groups too and non supplements groups.

Right now I'm only using protein powders. I go to the gym every day to do some cardo and then I do strength training every other day. After my workouts I drink some whey protein, and then I make another shake with casein protein before bed. I haven't been doing this long though, so I plan on looking into other supplements as well as I plan on doing a ton of Spartan Races next year and could use any boost I can get. Ultimately though I have noticed gradual improvement in my strength over the past 4-5 months and I'm happy with the results.

TheLandsBeyond

When I was hospitalized for my eating disorder in May, I was prescribed multivitamins and folic acid supplements, and I've been taking them ever since. I haven't noticed much from the multivitamins, but I feel like it can't hurt to have some extra vitamins in case I have a rough day and don't really eat very much. I haven't tried to stop taking the folic acid, but I feel like I am dependent on it to ease my digestion process, which was pretty messed up after so much restricting. I don't really know if I need to still take it, but I like how my digestion has started working semi-normally now, and I don't want to mess that up again.

Thank you for the advice, Howard. Where can I get it and is it available in Britain?

Janus the Fox

Well it is pretty much been proven scientifically over and over again that supplements do work. It have been cross checked with placebo groups too and non supplements groups.

Often supplements are not necessary for already healthy adults with no deficiencies. It's likly that supplements could even cause a form of overdose reaction.

I don’t take any. I am not looking to get big.

If I was to take something I prefer the trace minerals drops or tablets.

I am a fan of Vega Sport Electrolye Hydrator. This stuff has all of the elements you need to relish your body after working up a sweat. Water is great but you need salt and sugar to replace what other trace elements that have been excreted from your sweat.

I would wake up in the middle of the night with my leg cramping up awful. It has completely alleviated my restless-leg night time cramps.

No matter what supplements people take the common mistake is lack of water. I encourage everyone to drink water. Lots of water. You don’t want to harm your kidney.

I take some nutrients in injectable form because of malabsorption.

Before I got on testosterone, I took DHEA supplements- they made me itchy and bloated, so I quit.

About three years later, I was tested and was deficient in vitamin D. I took the recommended dosage of the supplements and developed hypercalcemia due to extremely high levels of vitamin D. It turns out I have a disorder affecting vitamin D absorption, and a couple years later I developed extremely high levels of vitamin D with hypercalcemia WITHOUT any supplements. But it still drives me nuts to see how often people claim it's totally safe to take vitamin D. Ha! ha! ha!

Thank you for the advice, Howard. Where can I get it and is it available in Britain?

http://www.myprotein.com/elysium.search?search=creatine

This is where I get my creatine from. It's the cheapest but best quality in the U.K. and I have had the best results from it.

@PDT- ZMA has been especially useful for me, protein powders too and I have taken a wealth of health positives from numerous other supplements. It depends on who you are, your physical make up and some might just not get an effect from what works for others. A multi vitamin with zinc and magnesium, have a great effect on my asthma as it has staved off cold, something which (because my immune system is shot) has seriously effected me in the past. I understand how you feel about them, we do tend to promote them as a miracle cure and people do think that a week on a protein powder and they will lose two stone, but people do forget that the main part of losing weight, is to actually eat right and do a little exercise.

I don't know enough to make a judgement but I think I'd say, everything is good as long as it's taken with moderation. :) Good luck for your work out.

I take Omega 3 as it helps cholesterol, and a B vitamin supplement because they are supposed to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis. My personal opinion only here, but as a combination I feel they are a lot safer than statins

• 1 year later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read-only Census Archive for 2014. As part of ongoing Census Forum organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, each poll will last for one year. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Census Moderator

Archived