Best Cuisine - The Definitve Poll

Palovana

Best Ethnic Cuisine?  

1. 1. What is your favorite ethnic cuisine?

• Mexican/Spanish
    • French
    • Italian
    • German
    • Greek/Turkish
    • Indian
    • Chinese
    • Japanese
    • Korean
    • Thai
    • Vietnamese
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

What, in your opinion, is the best ethnic cuisine(s)? What's your favorite? Do you have a favorite dish?

I looooooove Thai food. I think that's my absolute favorite. Mmm, and Japanese food is so yummy too. And Mediterranean food! My best friend is from Turkey and when we were in college her mom would make us grape leaves and baklava. Mmmmmmmmmm... :3

I'm hungry now.

I'm quite a fan of Mexicana, Italian and Indian so far. I've tried Thai, which is nice but nothing brilliant. Chinese is also quite nice, but it seems a bit limited in what we can get our hands on.

WhenSummersGone

I like Italian and other (American and Canadian). I mostly eat stuff that is common in grocery stores to be honest. I don't like asian or spicy food.

I grew up on Mexican food and Tex Mex, so it will always be one of my favorites. I discovered Thai food at this tiny local restaurant run by a family from Thailand and fell in love. (I've since tried it at larger, fancier restaurants, and it was never as good). So I voted for both of those.

Aisntllecxtual

I love extremely hot and spicy food. I like Indian food a lot but prepared in way that would set your mouth on fire! :redface: My Indian friend/colleague in the Seychelles would invite me to his home and cook for me - gave him a chance to cook and eat very hot dishes which he couldn't do with his very nice wife (who liked her food mild). I also like Italian food, but when I prepare pasta and pizza (as couple of common examples), it is heavily topped or sauce laced with jalapeno peppers and/or chilli. I also like Thai and Vietnamese food - again, very hot - Chinese and Greek/Turkish cuisine as well (Greek and otherwise high quality olives, I have to admit I am the biggest snob/connoisseur imaginable.) Top it all off with love for seafood - of fish generally. Clams are by and far my favorite food. What can you expect from a native of the beautiful State of Maine (in the US)?

All of them except Korean, Thai, Indian and Vietnamese. Indian, because I can't deal with the smell of Indian food, and the rest I haven't tried, so who knows? I absolutely adore Italian and French food though. Just generally European cuisine is my thing! :D

Italian is my favorite. Probably because a lot of my family is from Italy and we have lots of good family recipes. I grew up eating mostly Italian food, so its what I'm used to.

I voted Thai, but Thai and Indian places can both usually be relied on to have some vegan options, which is awesome. I love Thai soups, both the coconut milk one and the tom yum. Indian samosas are yummy. Veggie sushi is nice, too.

Notte stellata

I love extremely hot and spicy food. I like Indian food a lot but prepared in way that would set your mouth on fire! :redface: My Indian friend/colleague in the Seychelles would invite me to his home and cook for me - gave him a chance to cook and eat very hot dishes which he couldn't do with his very nice wife (who liked her food mild). I also like Italian food, but when I prepare pasta and pizza (as couple of common examples), it is heavily topped or sauce laced with jalapeno peppers and/or chilli. I also like Thai and Vietnamese food - again, very hot - Chinese and Greek/Turkish cuisine as well (Greek and otherwise high quality olives, I have to admit I am the biggest snob/connoisseur imaginable.) Top it all off with love for seafood - of fish generally. Clams are by and far my favorite food. What can you expect from a native of the beautiful State of Maine (in the US)?

I'm exactly the same - spicy food and seafood are the best! I put hot peppers in almost every dish, and jalapeno topping on pizza is a must. I also love clams and other shellfishes.

I voted for Chinese, Thai, and Indian. Among Chinese food I mainly like Sichuan and Hunan food which is famous for being spicy. I like the spices and curries in Thai and Indian food.

iamphoenixfire

Middle Eastern food. definitely. but i love indian and italian food as well. also where i live has a large latin american population so i get some really great mexican food.

I love Mexican, Greek and Thai but Thai is the winner for me.

My favourite Thai dessert is a coconut one which has a green shell like thing in it. I can't remember its name.

"Amo la cucina italiana!"

*suck & slurp*

Cia :wub:

ranting ferret

i enjoy all forms of food, i most often have italian food just because it's most accessible. i only like mexican on a rare occassion, but indian, japanese, thai (think curry) i've had and wouldn't mind having more of that way more frequently.

i haven't had korean food, what's it like? or what are some dishes that are specifically korean?

Mycroft is Yourcroft

...Is it bad that I put all of them? :P

drjohnhwatson

I put Chinese food. In fact, my mom promised me Chinese food tonight if the weather isn't bad, so I'm so exciteeeeed.

Japanese and Italian food for me; Italian is with the caveat that it doesn't come from some restaurant (unless, perhaps said restaurant is in Italy). Even very popular, upper scale Italian restaurants here (in Canada) I find so underwhelming I refuse to waste time and money and tummy space on all of them. My mom's half of the family is Italian, though, so I've had a fair amount of shockingly good Italian cooking. As far as Japanese goes, I love sushi so much, I can't leave it out; I do enjoy other dishes, though.

I think you can learn a bit about cultural values and history when you consider how food is prepared (and it's even better when you can witness it in person) and I think I have found myself identifying with my interpretation of the values in these cuisines (e.g. simplicity, making the most out of less, making the most out of all that is on hand/nearby, care, etc.) That's not to say that other cuisines don't share some features, and that I don't admire even the opposite qualities sometimes--I also just prefer these flavour profiles in general!

(I suppose we're going to have to start sharing recipes now. Anyone knowing how to make proper borscht....)

• 2 weeks later...

I like just about all cuisine but my top three would have to be Chinese, Indian and German. I grew up in quite a multicultural family when it came to food as my mum and grandma travelled a lot.

Chinese is my absolute top and the best Chinese I've ever had was in a place called Han Dynasty in Coventry

Japanese, Soul Food, Belgian, Italian, Turkish, Indian, Nepalese, Thai, Chinese, etc.....all is good!

I said Chinese and Other..."other" being whatever my mom makes. : ) As long as it's homemade, I don't care what the ethnicity is lol!

I can't choose. They're all so delicious.

Spanish/tapas type food, is my favourite. Indian food ruled for a long time, but it is so readily available, so cheap and often bland, that it has lost it's..........spice. There is a certain vibe among the tapas places that I have been to, I feel as though I am in a corner of Spain, and the selection, not to mention the wine :wub:, is always exceptional. Greek/Turkish (The pistachio coffee at my local, is to do for!), followed by Japanese, are my second and third but, and please don't shoot me for this, I have never had a decent Italian meal. Chinese is great if you can find a great restaurant. There is a Nepalese place in town and they do exquisite meals.

I am so Not a foodie. (which I shouldn't say too loud, because I'm from Portland.) I figure a bowl of cereal is as good as anything.

Indian all the way!

I love love love all the spices and the smell.

The whole veg menu is great, I fell in love with Samosa, Saag Aloo and Dal Tadka.

I like some Chinese and Japanese too but not liking meat/fish I don't have many choices (rice, seaweeds and soy beans)

And of course Italian, but I eat that everyday ;)

Archived