Asexuality and Autism Spectrum Disorders

mayve

please read question and poll answers carefully  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Formal Diagnosis (by a health professional)

• I am asexual and I have an Autism Spectrum Disorder
    • I am asexual and I DO NOT have an Autism Spectrum Disorder
    • I am grey-a/demisexual and I have an Autism Spectrum Disorder
    • I am grey-a/demisexual and I DO NOT have an Autism Spectrum Disorder
    • I am not asexual or grey-a/demisexual
    • I am self diagnosed
  2. 2. Self Diagnosis

• I am asexual and I have a self-diagnosed ASD
    • I am grey-a/demisexual and I have a self-diagnosed ASD
    • I am not asexual or grey-a/demisexual
    • I am not self diagnosed
  3. 3. Do you feel your asexuality is related to your ASD?

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No
    • I am not asexual
    • I am asexual but I don't have an Autism Spectrum Disorder

This poll is closed to new votes

Notes:

Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) include:

• Autism
  • Asperger's Syndrome
  • Pervasive Developmental Disorder - Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS)
  • Rett Syndrome
  • Childhood Disintegrative Disorder (CDD)

This is just for curiosity. There seem to be a substantial amount of asexuals who also have an Autism Spectrum Disorder.

For the last question, there should be an option for people who are asexual but do not have autism spectrum disorders.

I personally am aromantic asexual, and do not have any autism spectrum disorders that I know of. I have a cousin and quite a few friends with ASD, and I have a lot in common with them, but I doubt I actually has an ASD myself.

For the last question, there should be an option for people who are asexual but do not have autism spectrum disorders.

Ah, right, thanks.

I am asexual with an ASD symptom, possibly XXY although awaiting confirmation. I can't rule out that the two are comorbid. A lack of physical development may interrelate with my psychology to have made me frightened of getting involved with anyone sexually. Hormone levels could be a factor as well. One of the symptoms of XXY is ASD behaviour, so a correlation is possible. The

WhenSummersGone

I haven't been diagnosed by a professional but my therapist and I think I have something like this. I don't think there's a connection because I don't find others sexually attractive naturally, unless it is a symptom of this disorder.

Janus the Fox

Im diagnosed and described as significantly affected Asperger's Syndrome along with associated disorders including Tourettes amongst others.

Only connection I find is the lack of social and emotional disibility means there's no sexual/emotional or even a romantic bond could ever take place in my type of Aspergers, it's not always the case, nor explain the lack of desire of such in my own personal research and experience.

Otherwise I can clearly be described as having "unusual sexual preferences" within a number of online descriptions of Aspergers, this is in account of my own range of Fetishes that include Yiff role playing and any sexual situation or fetish involving it in virtual spaces, it don't deal with real people.

Diagnosed Asperger's.

Given that autism is the lens through which I interact (or don't) with the world, given that it fundamentally changes all of my interactions with people- how could it possibly not be part of my (a)sexuality?

hdfskjfsdshdsajfhaksd

I'm an aro ace with autism. I've honestly got no clue if my orientation has anything to do with my autism, but I don't really think it does. There are plenty of asexual people that are not autistic, and vice versa.

• 1 year later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read-only Census Archive for 2014. As part of ongoing Census Forum organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, each poll will last for one year. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Census Moderator

Archived