Are you happy with you current major/job?

TardisBlue

1. 1. Are you happy with your current major/job?

• Yes, it was what I wanted to study/do.
    • Yes, it wasn't what I wanted to study/do, but now I'm happy with it.
    • Neutral.
    • No, it was what I wanted to study/do, but now I'm not happy with it.
    • No, I never wanted it.

This poll is closed to new votes

So this 'what is your current major/job' poll gave me the idea for this topic. I wanted to elaborate it a bit further.

What I really wanna learn is, how many people who managed to get into the field they want, are happy now? And vice versa, who turned out to be happy with something they didn't want at first?

I'm studying engineering physics. Mind you, nobody forced me to study that, but it wasn't what I actually wanted, it definitely wasn't my first or even second choice. I wanna get my master's degree in aerospace (that was what I wanted btw), but what if it's not so magical at all? What if it won't make me happier? I'm kinda scared of that. Because I wanted it for so long, now my expectations are way too high.

What are your experiences?

My job sucks but it is allowing me the funds to pursue a job that won't suck. Too bad my degree is pointless.

I'm studying biology. It's what I've always wanted to study and there's nothing I'd rather do.

If I have to raise a complaint, It would be that it's far too interesting and it's a crying shame that I can't cover more material. One life-time isn't enough ( ^ ^; )

I majored in civil engineering and I've been fortunate to end up in the exact kind of job that I wanted - working on habitat rehabilitation/restoration projects. The pay's good (still getting used to it after coming from a poor background), it's low stress and flexible, I get a fair amount of chances to travel, and I have very good supervisors and coworkers.

The only issue really is that I feel like I'm cleaning up humanity's mess instead of tackling the problem head on.

drjohnhwatson

No. My job sucks. I work in a restaurant that is basically fast food and it's been my first--and only--job. I don't get tips unless someone is like "hey have some money". I get paid barely above minimum wage and some people make as much as I do or almost as much even though I've been there six years and they've been there months.

Plus my degree is in History so it's nothing like what I want to do. Man, I just want to write some books, become relatively well-known under a pseudonym, and live a comfortable life and travel. Is that too much to ask?!

:P

The Great WTF

This is kind of a loaded question for me as I'm still working on my degree, but I've wanted to be an archaeologist since I was 4. No joke, I told my pre-K teacher that I wanted to be an archaeologist and she actually asked me what that was. (Needless to say, I wasn't in that class very long.)

On the one hand, I already know I'll love what I'm doing. I love the research, the digs, the dirt, the puzzles, but on the other hand I dread the bureaucracy of it all. Writing grants I can do, but dealing with the people is going to be a nightmare.

So this 'what is your current major/job' poll gave me the idea for this topic. I wanted to elaborate it a bit further.

What I really wanna learn is, how many people who managed to get into the field they want, are happy now? And vice versa, who turned out to be happy with something they didn't want at first?

I'm studying engineering physics. Mind you, nobody forced me to study that, but it wasn't what I actually wanted, it definitely wasn't my first or even second choice. I wanna get my master's degree in aerospace (that was what I wanted btw), but what if it's not so magical at all? What if it won't make me happier? I'm kinda scared of that. Because I wanted it for so long, now my expectations are way too high.

What are your experiences?

I'd recommend getting an internship in the field ASAP to get a feel whether you'd actually like the profession. I've been working since my sophomore summer and if it wasn't for the job I probably would have quit the major because the coursework was so boring and half the teachers were bleh.
I'd recommend getting an internship in the field ASAP to get a feel whether you'd actually like the profession. I've been working since my sophomore summer and if it wasn't for the job I probably would have quit the major because the coursework was so boring and half the teachers were bleh.

This is a really good advice, and I'm actually trying to find one, but unfortunately, no luck so far! I haven't given up though :)

Amoeba-Proteus

This is kind of a loaded question for me as I'm still working on my degree, but I've wanted to be an archaeologist since I was 4. No joke, I told my pre-K teacher that I wanted to be an archaeologist and she actually asked me what that was. (Needless to say, I wasn't in that class very long.)

On the one hand, I already know I'll love what I'm doing. I love the research, the digs, the dirt, the puzzles, but on the other hand I dread the bureaucracy of it all. Writing grants I can do, but dealing with the people is going to be a nightmare.

I was the same way. I've wanted to get into marine biology since I was a little kid.

I remember my elementary teachers used to be concerned, because instead of playing with toys with the other kids, I was always reading science books. Couple years later I was reading university textbooks as my leisure reading in early elementary. They didn't seem to like it. My mum was like "you're worried about that...?"

Many years later, majoring in marine and freshwater biology and working in a marine lab. Love it! :D

I'm not as far as I want to be some day, because I'm still learning. But we all got to start somewhere! Starting out as a research assistant is just the beginning of my goal to one day own my own lab and be out in the ocean regularly. ^_^

Archaeology was one of my considerations at one point too. I had a big interest in a variety of sciences while growing up, and that was one of the top 4. So much cool stuff out there, and so much to learn!

Yep give it your best, with engineering you really should have some experience before you graduate. It's a huge asset on resumes.

Oh as a side note, apparently aerospace engineering translates into hydraulic engineering (what I do) very easily. My university mentor was actually an aerospace turned hydraulic engineer.

Amoeba-Proteus

This is a really good advice, and I'm actually trying to find one, but unfortunately, no luck so far! I haven't given up though :)

I agree. Any experience you can get in the field, really.

I find a lot of aspects of my education boring too. I get bored of a lot of the things I have to do that aren't directly related to what I'm hoping to do one day... But working in labs, doing more related things, reminds me of what I'm working towards. And I have a lot of fun with it!

Just got to do lots of hunting and digging! ^_^

I really had no idea what I wanted to do when I started college. My university doesn't have a lot of areas to choose from either, so I kind of had limited options. But I'm doing New Media now, and I love it. I'm learning animation and interactive design and video design and they're all pretty practical skills. The job market might not be great but at least I have skills now. And I was leaning towards new media anyway, but I was pretty unsure about it because of that reason, but I think I made the right choice. I'd rather do this and be happy with my path than to do something like a Business major and hate it.

The Great WTF

I was the same way. I've wanted to get into marine biology since I was a little kid.

I remember my elementary teachers used to be concerned, because instead of playing with toys with the other kids, I was always reading science books. Couple years later I was reading university textbooks as my leisure reading in early elementary. They didn't seem to like it. My mum was like "you're worried about that...?"

Many years later, majoring in marine and freshwater biology and working in a marine lab. Love it! :D

I'm not as far as I want to be some day, because I'm still learning. But we all got to start somewhere! Starting out as a research assistant is just the beginning of my goal to one day own my own lab and be out in the ocean regularly. ^_^

Archaeology was one of my considerations at one point too. I had a big interest in a variety of sciences while growing up, and that was one of the top 4. So much cool stuff out there, and so much to learn!

I had the same problem. I was reading at a high school level by second grade and the librarians at the school refused to let me get books marked for higher grades. My best friend's mom (who worked in the library) and older sister had to smuggle them out for me.

I was the kid who bitched about the velociraptors being too big while everyone else was cowering in fear.

Oh yes. I studied computer science in order to become a games developer and while I did have a few years where I was lost and aimless, I'm now a proper software engineer and although it isn't gaming related, I still love it.

Love my job, or used to before this stupid government (UK) decided to ruin it with their stupid ill informed, short sighted and self centred assumptions. At least Michael Gove has been 'promoted'... he was the biggest of them all.. or at least the most visibile idiot in this shambles. End of brief rant ;)

I am 20 and own a company. I absolutely love it! Such freedom and it is (in my opinion) the best job in the world. And of course it gets paid very well, especially for my age.

Squirrel Combat

I'm glad I majored what I did. I just wish I hadn't had to shell out the money for those stupid core classes. Those were more or less a waste of time and money, that I didn't really have.

Well, I'm happy with what I'm doing, and it is what I set out to do and went to school for, but I still have my doubts often. I figure it's probably because I can't settle very well and am always wondering about what another job or career might be like and can't sit still, always wanting to try something new.

I said yes, and it was what I studied for (kind of--it wasn't my major since it wasn't offered at my school, but I minored in it!). Although it has been wretchedly stressful of late, I still love what I do (graphic design).

I had a hard time choosing the most appropriate answer; I think I'm actually going back on it now too. Heh.

I chose that I wanted to initially, but now it's poo. I semi-wanted to study my major when I started out...enh...but far and away what I wanted to do was study everything. That is what I have always wanted to do. Everyone always asks what you wanted to be when you were a kid; I had nothing in particular in mind. I am, and have always been, interested in everything in a way that makes choosing between areas a really crumby idea.

When I look at my situation I'm a little astonished; I have willfully inserted myself into an oppressive environment where I have been pigeonholed into spending thousands of dollars on useless shit I really don't want.

Yaaay.

I'm happy with what I'm doing. I've always wanted to study mathematics and computer science, and right now I'm a junior double majoring in applied mathematics and comp sci.

Ironically, my opinions on which one I prefer has changed drastically. When I first started college, math was my passion, and I was mostly just studying computer science because I thought it would be more practical for getting a job. However, it turns out the math department at my school can be very disorganized, and I've had some really great computer science classes, so my now most of my effort is going into computer science. Theorectical computer science is my new favorite thing, and a lot of people in my life are trying to convince me to get a phD in it. I might even drop math from a major to a minor, depending on how many courses I can get away with substituting.

I never knew what I wanted to do, still don't really, so I ended up being a taxi driver by default. Now I just don't like the job, or the "pay", and it's so boring. Nice waste of a basic intellect that took me to university, although I was emotionally too immature to cope and made a mess of that as well.

My position is between straight out "no" and "no, I chose it, but don't like it" option. I went to school for graphic design, but didn't officially major in it because the portfolio review only likes traditional artwork and the job I have now is catered more towards being an office assistant. They do have a part time graphic designer, whose job I help with once a week, but it's not a true graphic design position. We basically take ready made templates and slap people's info into them.

Now, I'm trying for grad school to become a UI designer (preferably with a video game developer). I got to talk with some UI designers a year ago and it hit me then and there that that's what I want to do with my life.

I originally wanted to go into archaeology but I recognized early on that it meant more travel than I’m comfortable with. It was my childhood dream. I still read anything and everything I can get my dirty little paws on and being well rehearsed in local sites I help out amateur archaeologists’, companies and tourists.

I ended up working at City Hall instead. It's great and rewarding to help people with their problems without having to touch them but not all that fun all the time (I think that some times people show up at City Hall just to be little shits. You have no idea how many times I've had to explain the concept of laws to people who have graduated High School and should know better...)

Hard for me to respond to this poll! I've always wanted to be a writer, and I pursued English and creative writing in college with that intent. However, very rarely can you just be a writer and earn a suitable living. Halfway through college I found out about this thing called higher ed/student affairs administration, which is now what I'm pursuing in grad school. I enjoy what I do and I'm glad I'm doing it! But it's not necessarily the path I originally intended. I still (attempt to) write on the side and hope to be published and follow that dream in the future.

I absolutely love my job! I have been in the workforce for 10 years now and have only worked 2 jobs. My first was at a pharmacy..not what i wanted in the slightest but i needed a job, buisnesses i wanted to work at wouldn't even hire me when they were desperate for employees(1 was a petstore, they dumped me in favor of some girls who were terrified of the animals they were supposed to handle :/) the manager at the pharmacy was my friends mom, one of her employees quit and she needed a replacement ASAP, i didn't apply, she phoned me. I stayed for 4 years. Surprisingly i really enjoyed it lol. After 3 years at the pharmacy i started looking for work in boarding kennels as thats what i wanted, to run a kennel. Found a place hiring, applied, got the job but was only part time so i stayed on at the pharmacy as well. When the pharmacy got new management i ended up quitting(new manager accused me of doing drugs..) and was able to pick up full time at the kennel. It'll be 6 years this month, I'm in a management position, treated well..i have no plans to leave lol

Kitty Incognito

I have a love-hate relationship with my main job. Some days it's really rewarding and others it makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

Archived