Five Love Languages

CozyHorse

Five Love Languages  

1. 1. Which of the love languages do you prefer?

• Words of Affirmation
    • Acts of Service
    • Receiving Gifts
    • Quality Time
    • Physical Touch

This poll is closed to new votes

Sorry if this has been done before - I'm new!

http://www.5lovelanguages.com

I recently took this survey/personality test relating to which of the five "love languages" best describes how I prefer to receive love/affirmation/appreciation from people I care about. I'm not too knowledgable about it, but I believe the intention behind the whole five love languages idea has a sort of romantic relationship spin, though I don't think the ideas behind it are limited to just romantic relationships. I found it interesting because it really got me thinking about which gestures from close friends and family felt most meaningful to me, and why.

I saw another thread in the Off-A forum about physical touch, which reminded me of this. Personally, according to this questionnaire, I rated physical touch very low. My highest area ended up being a tie between words of affirmation and gifts.

Anyway, just wanted to share, and I wondered what the breakdown would look like in this community.

ranting ferret

is this giving or receiving? for some people those can be different. i answered as me receiving love.

quality time is very much so my number one. honestly, service and affirmation are about tied. i went with words for the survey just because i think that would win out overall.

Those are whats considered "love languages"? . Hmmm. *takes notes*

is this giving or receiving? for some people those can be different. i answered as me receiving love.

quality time is very much so my number one. honestly, service and affirmation are about tied. i went with words for the survey just because i think that would win out overall.

I believe the quiz is structured in terms of receiving, but I agree, I think there can definitely be a difference in terms of giving vs. receiving!

I remember that question having been in a poll before... not all that long ago... but it's been closed by now in Lady Girl's yearly clearout of the subforum. :D Linky link

As I said in that other thread already... mine came out to be Words of Affirmation, closely followed by Quality Time. (Looking at this poll, that seems a rather common trend here, hehe.)

drjohnhwatson

Mine was "quality time", head-and-shoulders above the rest. The second would be receiving gifts. No wonder I'm feeling all lonely! :lol:

I cannot answer the poll, as, in all fairness, I am so insensitive to others that I wouldn't recognise if something was being done out of love, whatever that is

Squirrel Combat

ALL OF THEM! And I would expect all of them in return. :)

Quality time was the highest for me, with words of affirmation and acts of service closely behind. Receiving gifts and physical affection both scored very low for me.

• 1 year later...

I most prefer words of affirmation by an exceedingly wide margin.

After that, quality time and/or the occasional hand/arm on/around my shoulder. (Full-on hugs? I dunno. Maybe I'm just not used to anyone wanting to hug me. But any more touch than that would freak me out.)

At work, whenever someone tells me "good job" or compliments my work ethic, it really bolsters my confidence and motivates me to do well. It makes me feel better about myself as a person.

On the other hand, criticism devastates me and sends me into hyper-defensive depression. Not much middle ground really.

Acts of service, makes me nervous unless it's family. Acts of service can be kind of like gifts, which, sometimes, can really irritate me.

I just much prefer encouragement and a hand/arm on my shoulder and maybe someone to hang with - depending on the person - or a group maybe to be a part of. I'm very private, a loner, and not very spontaneous. I don't get into other people's business (not that I don't care) and don't touch much.

I think I'm a bit of Asperger's.

My Mom, on the other hand: If you gave her Kay's Jewelers as a gift, she would love you forever and show it off to the world every opportunity.

My Dad and brothers: Definitely words of affirmation.

Physical touch and words of affirmation are tied for me according to the test.

The results vary (I have taken it more than once) but those are usually pretty much even.

According to the test I'm tied between receiving gifts and words of affirmation. I guess that's not surprising. I like all of them though

Acts of Service was really high for me, with Quality Time not far behind. the other 3 were very low, which is not that surprising to me. I love doing things with people I love, and it means a lot to me when they can help me out when I'm stressed or feeling off.

I wouldn't know a 'love language' if I used one...let alone heard one. A weakness? :ph34r:

AlwaysADreamer

Quality time is a massive deal for me. The way I think about it, if someone doesn't want to spend time with me or doesn't want to make time for our relationship (whatever that relationship may be) then what's the point? I'm a bit selfish that way. In terms of how I express love, in addition to quality time, acts of service is a big one.

1. Act of service

2. Quality time

3. Words of Affirmation

4. Gift giving

5. Physical

10 Acts of Service

10 Words of Affirmation

7 Quality Time

3 Receiving Gifts

0 Physical Touch

Honestly, physical touch means very little to me. My self esteem is nonexistent. I need to hear and see that they - for some reason - care that I exist and like something about me.

I scored highest in quality time ( 8) and acts of service (7). I scored the lowest in physical touch (3). That honestly seems pretty accurate to me; I am fine with physical touch, and even enjoy receiving/giving it, but it just really isn't as important to me as the other ones are. Quality time is definitely the most important to me, and I was not surprised to see that it ended up being my first one.

WhenSummersGone

Words, time and touch for friends and romantic partners. For family it would be words.

Autumn Season

Quality time first, physical affection second.

This poll is being locked and moved to the read-only Census Archive for 2014. As part of ongoing Census Forum organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, each poll will last for one year. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Census Moderator

Archived