When did you discover your asexuality?

Agent Shade

I only realised when I was 20. Prior to that, I chalked up my repulsion of sex to my history of childhood sexual abuse, and on a number of occasions I tried to push past the feeling of disgust, either in an attempt to feel "normal" or due to peer pressure. Now that I have vastly overcome my residual issues, I have found that I am capable of sex without feeling repulsed, I'm just not interested and don't find people sexually attractive.

• 3 weeks later...
taymoor_arslan

Ifound out when I was 11, I was randomly reading an article on sexual orientations on wikipedia when I came across asexuality when I finished reading it I checked various sexual orientation tests which were all asexual and it hit me like a truck

Anti-Social Butterfly

I put under thirteen, but I was thirteen when I found out. I may have thought about it earlier but I had the 'ahh ha!' Moment when I was thirteen.

I put 13-17. I was in high school when I first heard the term, but I had some doubts about whether or not it really fit me. Although I felt I was asexual, I didn't feel fully comfortable identifying as such, and it's only recently that I've come to understand enough to happily say "Yep! That's me".

It certainly got me thinking though, so I'd say that's when I discovered it, even if I wasn't identifying as asexual.

blackwingsblackheart

Ah, I'm envious of everyone who figured it out in their teens and early 20s. I didn't know there was such a thing as asexuality until my 40s, but when I finally did find out, I knew instantly, "That's me!" Such a relief...

I have noticed I was different for a long time. I didn't know there was a term for what I am until I turned 23. I would feel so disconnected and cold when I slept with someone I didn't have a bond with. All my relationships start off with me still viewing them as a friend. I only feel secondary sexual and romantic attraction. These attractions may or may not happen after the bond. Every time I have felt those attraction It was with someone I knew and bonded with. It was awesome realizing I was a type of Demisexual. I feel so much better now.

I figured it out at 29, it was a huge relief. I'd spent a long time thinking something was wrong with me. I knew I wasn't interested in women, so I "must" be attracted to men. I had no idea that neither was a valid option.

I've previously said I knew I was asexual at 11. I don't think that's true, now. I think I had my very first indications at that age, but at the same time I was exploring imaginary sci fi fetishes in my imagination. (Which now I know is not incompatible with asexuality (either fantasizing about sex or having fetishes of some sort)). That was a stage I went through at eleven and twelve or so, and then completely outgrew. /shrug/ I think my awareness that I was asexual (in the way I understood it at the time) developed between twelve and fourteen. By fourteen it was very much a part of my identity, very solidly.

I think I first heard about asexuality and different types of it when I was in high school. I knew long before (I think when I was about 13 or 14).

I couldn't understand why most of my friends see others in a very sexual way. Then I realized that it may have something to do with my sexuality and my lack of desire to have sex. However, I always wanted romantic love, that's why I consider myself to be a Gray A.

However, I always wanted romantic love, that's why I consider myself to be a Gray A.

I do want to mention that asexuals aren't necessarly aromantic. You can be asexual and want romantic love at the same time.

However, I always wanted romantic love, that's why I consider myself to be a Gray A.

I do want to mention that asexuals aren't necessarly aromantic. You can be asexual and want romantic love at the same time.

Right, I was thinking about aromantic, not asexual. Thank you for pointing that out! :)

18-23. I found I was physically repulsed by kissing when I was 17, but didn't really find the word to define me until I was 22 :o

CakeIsBetterThanSex

15(a month or so ago actually)

13.12.2014. Or at least that's when I found a word for it. I'm still in the honeymoon-happy-I'm-not-crazy stage, and I hope it'll last a long, long time :)

HallsiKallsi

Well, I would say yesterday at 16 years old, I spent a year figuring out my sexuality and found an article about this that in many ways described me, I would've loved though to find that article sooner so I wouldn't have pondered on this for so long

I knew I was different than others always.but I had no concept of how until College when aa friend finnally gave me a word that fit. (Nonsexual)

Ummmm....I put 18-23 because I was finally researching it at that time. Before that I had done a lot of research on diseases that could cause low sex drive (or in my case nonexistent sex drive). I was so convinced (by myself and from other people) that there was something SERIOUSLY wrong with me. SO its kinda hard to explain or pinpoint when exactly.... I guess I 'discovered' it myself when I discovered asexuality.

!8-19. I noticed something was different around 6th grade. Everyone was talking about crushes and who was "hot" and I never really got it. So when I got to high school, I just thought I was broken. I decided to start dating this really horrible guy and stayed with him for almost 3 years trying to "fix" myself. I found Aven and everything just clicked instantly. I was like, "What am I doing!?" and broke up with him and I've never been happier, in that respect. :)

24 y.o. Strangely, it didn't occured to me at all, until, week ago or something, when I read this comic strip:

808.png

(Questionable Content, for those who don't know. It's pretty old, but I found out about it not while ago)

It suddenly hit me. Before, I haven't realized, that people make such big difference. Masturbation definititely feels sexual, and good, but I had no idea, what's the real difference, because I'm hadn't sex and never dated a girl. I thought: maybe, I didn't found that one girl yet, bla-bla-bla.
But, I live without any relationship and it doesn't feel like, I'm struggling or going mad without any sex life, despite some people claim I should. So, after reading this strip, I mused, that actually might be something different about me in that regard. And now I'm here.

• 4 weeks later...
AnotherWeasley

I put 18-23, because that's when I learned what asexuality was. Before that, I knew that I wasn't sexually attracted to anyone, I just didn't have a word for it.

SecretLibrary

Felt 'broken' as a mis-identified bisexual until recently. Discovered what asexuality meant and that I'm somewhere in the grey-a realm very recently at 35.

Mongrel Chimera

I found out about asexuality around 10 days ago.

I'm 33 and I've been struggling with depression since around 15.

I spent years trying to find out what was wrong with me - I didn't get diagnosed as depressive until around 19, didn't even know it affected younger people. One of my relatives told me that I was just "Trying to be fashionable" when I told them how I felt and my parents got so afraid that they would always shut the conversation down when i tried to talk to them about it.

Because not talking always works for stopping suicidal thoughts... :(

Never went through with any of those thoughts. Never made an attempt. Found I was stronger than I knew long before I finally got the tablets I needed and levelled out enough to find a real way to cope.

But then I found that being diagnosed came with other problems - like the doctors blaming the tablets for my low sex drive. Like blaming my depression for my lack of interest and telling me that by raising my libido my depression might even be 'cured'. I've had good doctors too, don't get me wrong. One even stayed behind on a Friday after their day was over so I could get in to see him when all the appointments were already gone and I couldn't imagine surviving past Sunday. He probably saved my life. But none of them have ever linked my asexuality as a cause of my depression, rather than a symptom of it.

These ten days have been wonderful, I know I'm not alone and I'm beginning to make a few connections myself. At this late stage in the game, I might never be able to overcome my depression, but at least now I understand where a large portion of it came from.

I'm not grasping the discovery aspect. I was born without interest in sex, and it never developed. I never had any judgment of the fact that it has never developed. It was refreshing since I never desired to become like that either. So there was never any kind of discovery, just as one wouldn't discover at some age that they breathe air or drink water. I never felt like it was wrong that I wasn't interested. I still don't diagnose myself as anything or identify with any orientation, since I can accept myself from moment to moment without any explanation as to why I'm like I am or need for consistency. So I guess if your definition of discovery is acceptance, then "discovery" was when I was born.

Archived