Asexual Awareness Week (October 26th - November 1st)

Chewy

I forgot the dates! I can't believe I forgot when it was! The first time I found AAW was right after I began identifying! ^_^ It was a sign, must've been.

But I wish I was creative enough to make posters or jewelry to wear. I still haven't managed to buy a black ring yet. I'm just kind of lazy that way. I would change my profile pic on other cites but I'm not out to a lot of people and most people I know on facebook are my family. I posted it last year but just saying it's an awareness week isn't as big as changing ur pic in relation.

My birthday is November 1st, it must be a sign to do something

Hey .....my bday is not 1 too, maybe I should do something too.

I just realized I have off of school for three days that week. I'm going to ignore the obvious "it's fall break" explanation and pretend my teachers are giving us off to celebrate Asexual Awareness week! :P

I'm going to aim for getting my scarf in before then. Now that I know it's an awareness week. Which means I've officially decided to order a scarf with our flag colours.

Actually, I thought more about it. I'm a university student and I've never seen anything up for asexuality here that i cam recall, but have seen some other stuff by our GLBT(?) group. I have emailed them asking if they intend to post any flyers for asexual awareness week, stating that if not I would be very interested to do it as an individual student, letting people know they can come here for info. (I've offered, of course, to link to their info page in addition.)

If they aren't doing this, is anyone interested in working on a flyer with me? I would obviously love feedback on it. Which takes no more than 10 minutes max.

Also, if this should be its own topic given that it's more in depth than this forum was probably intending, apologies. If that is this case, please move this without keeping this endnote. If possible.

A bit more importantly, and just to check, as I would be referring people here and anyone seeing the flyer could easily mistake it for being an official AVEN thing, would I need permission from someone here to do a project like this? I would hope I can post flyers that don't just end with a "you're not alone" and then don't mention where the other people are. Given AVEN doesn't really have immediate geographic links to do this anyway. Oh, and I would be stealing images from here or the wiki, obviously. I'm posting from a handheld device I don't often use, so be patient with the questions ( I can't navigate well) and the wording I use, please. I was just so excited about starting on this right away.

I and a few others are in the process of writing a series of articles for the comedy website 'Cracked.com' that we'd like to get published during Asexual Awareness Week :)

I think it'd be awesome if we could get one published every second day during that week, as it'd really reach out to a very large audience.

If you'd like to contribute ideas for an article or help out with feedback, suggestions etc... please feel free :D

Cracked is quite possible the best website on the whole internet! Love it.

GingerbreadGirl

I just got permission from one of the heads of my school to post posters advertising AAW on a couple of noticeboards! So far it's only in the areas for the senior students (so 17/18 year olds.) As he was concerned about placing them in younger year group areas, because of some vaguely reasonable reasons.

We have year group assemblies next week, so it would possibly be a good time to go actually speak to people if I can muster up the nerve (which is unlikely) I'm moderately happy to get the go-ahead for any kind of activity though. :)

I am going to be going on a shopping spree for clothes at le local thrift store because I dont care about awareness things.

Hi everyone!

I'm Emma, a final year student at the University of Leeds, and the primary organiser for Leeds University Union's first Asexual Awareness Week. I petitioned the Union to run one around this time last year, and now it's a reality! We have a really exciting programme of events planned, which I've posted below! I actually need a little help with some of the workshops (I've signposted which ones in red) if anyone is in the area and would like to chip in, or if any of you would like to make suggestions, wherever you are in the world!

Monday the 27th October

13:00-15:00
Session: What is asexuality? An introduction to understanding and supporting those identifying on the ace spectrum.
LITTLE LUU HOUSE

17:00-19:00
Film screening: Short Films (e.g. Farblos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN9WU-riZlg andNot Broken Not Alone http://vimeo.com/52174440) anddiscussion

BAINESWING SR 2.37

Tuesday the 28th October

10:00-11:00
Session: Asexuality in History
ROOM 2

13:00-15:00
Session: Asexuality and Mental Health: a workshop on asexuality in relation tomental health problems, explaining asexuality to psychiatrists or counsellors,and managing anxieties related to sex
ROOM 5

17:00-19:00
Session: My asexuality --> first meeting of a support group for ace identifying students (or those unsure of their sexuality), where everyone can share their experiences of discovering asexuality, what was difficult, what was easier than expected, coming out to partners or loved ones etc.
BAINES WING SR 1.15

Wednesday the 29th October

16:00-18:00
Talk: Aromanticism: Why the aromantic experience is important to asexual awareness.

PARKINSON SRB.22

18:30-21:00
Film screening: (A)sexual
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1811293/
BAINES WING MIALL LT (2.34)

Thursday the 30th October

12:30-14:30

Session: Ace Advice--> advice for partners,friends and/or family of ace identifying students
ROOM 1

15:00-17:00
Session: Asexuality in Fiction with Tab Kimpton --> there are lots of books and comics outthere flying the flag for asexual awareness, here are a few:
http://ignitionzero.com/
http://supernormalstep.com/
http://www.girlswithslingshots.com/
http://www.discordcomics.com/category/comic/shades-of-a/
LITTLE LUU HOUSE

Friday the 31st October

12:00-15:00

Session: Badge making!
DEMOCRACY CORNER

15:00-17:00
Session: Consent Workshop --> understanding consent, how to give good consent and why it’s important!
ROOM 1

Sunday 2nd November

14:00-17:00

End of week celebrations!
Ace Fashion Show and themed cocktail/mocktail bar
TERRACE BAR

pandas and doom

I really want to organize something for awareness week at my college but I don't know anyone who could help me. I've reached out to the leaders of my LGBTQ group, but I don't know them very well at all. I'm going to make and hang posters, and I'd really like to do a sort of Asexuality 101 presentation, but I don't know who to talk to in order to organize something like that. Plus, I'm a little worried no one would be interested...

I really want to organize something for awareness week at my college but I don't know anyone who could help me. I've reached out to the leaders of my LGBTQ group, but I don't know them very well at all. I'm going to make and hang posters, and I'd really like to do a sort of Asexuality 101 presentation, but I don't know who to talk to in order to organize something like that. Plus, I'm a little worried no one would be interested...

Hey, obviously feel free to steal mine since you already have it. No need for both of us to do tons of work.

I actually did place that order for the scarf. When I get it I'll post a picture here.

Also, I just now realized that posting posters with the flag at the same time I'm getting in a scarf with those said colours will decrease the chances of it not being recognized, which is really unintended. Oh well. I ordered the scarf before I thought about it and I can't just not post the posters.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I've ordered myself some arm warmers in asexual colours! I don't know if they'll be here in time for AAW, but I hope they are :)

I'm going to order a black ring. I wasn't sold on the idea before, but I can't stop thinking about it and I've given in. I'm only out online, but this is a small step that I can take to let my orientation sneak into my real life a bit. And if someone recognizes it, that would be pretty cool. ^^

I'm pretty shy, so I don't want to go to a fancy jeweler just to have them measure my middle finger. I'm going to measure/order online and hope for the best.

I also want to crochet a scarf or hat in ace colors, but it's still a bit too hot for that where I live.

Omnes et Nihil

Ace Toronto is putting on a series of public workshops that week in conjunction with the 3 universities (and 1 independently at a public library).
One of the universities is also hosting a social event for aces.

Details here: http://ace-toronto.tumblr.com/workshops

I mentioned to my "Unity" club (LGBTQ+ group) at school about Asexuality Awareness week and since I'm the only asexual in the group, I have to come up with ideas of what to do for each school-day that week...Even though I'm going to be gone that Friday. (First family weekend camp-out of the season and I've been anxious to jump back on an ATV for the last 2 months, so I'm not going to miss out on that trip.)

We're planning to have Movie nights in the club to showcase LGBTQ+ movies, and I've already found the "(A)sexual" documentary online. c: I'll mention it to them the next time we meet to put it on our list of movies to screen...

But for AAW so far, I only have the idea of putting up posters or handing out flyers about it. I got nothing else. Does someone else have any ideas of what to do for that week that's very simple for a club to do for a day? I also found some very short films about asexuality, but that will require a laptop set up on the booth...I was also thinking of handing out copies of short asexual comics too, but...I don't know if that's copyright legal to do? o_o;

Hey everyone! Asexuality awareness week is coming soon and I was wondering if you were planing to do something special for it. Let me know your ideas! :cake:

Hm...never really thought about it, to be honest. Perhaps I'll end up picking up a black ring for my middle finger, assuming that it's still a 'thing' in making (some) people aware of your asexuality. As for big events, I'm not so sure. I believe there's some kind of LGBT+ group at my university, so maybe I'll sling an email their way or something.

The posts from a similar thread, named "Asexuality Awareness week", have been merged to this topic.

Robin L, Project Team

I also apologize for merging the wrong way, thereby breaking some links.

I actually run a twitter for asexual people (@asexualpride, not to turn this into an advertisement) and what I planned on doing was trying to get people to trend/tweet #aisforasexual on Monday the 27th. Soooo I guess if you have a twitter that would be a pretty cool thing to do to help me out? :)

I picked up some supplies from the arts and crafts store and made little asexual flag pins to wear on my backpack. Hopefully some kids at school will be curious enough to ask me about them. :)

Manic Pixie Dream Nerd

I think I'm going to start wearing my black ring during Asexual Awareness week. Then maybe next year I'll make a T-shirt for it. I'm not brave enough to wear an ace T-shirt to school quite yet XD I'll just stick with being subtle for now.

Oooh, or maybe I could make a button to pin to my shirt! That's less subtle but still doesn't stand out too much. Hmm I need to think about this more...

I just came up with a (hopefully) fantastic idea while talking about cupcakes in my intro. So, without further ado, my idea:

Bake a bunch of cupcakes, add Black/Grey/White/Purple frosting in the form of the asexual colors, and then eat them all yourself in one sitting give them out to friends and/or the local community (ace specific or not, either way will work).

I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this, so feel free to follow suit if you want.

Now, I just need to hitch a ride to the grocery store by next week...

The Canadians are so on it, I wish there was some sort of major event in the UK, either some sort of public lecture/workshop or "AceCon 2014" or something...perhaps something that can be arranged for future years?

I've already started wearing a black ring, but I'll probably do something cool like paint my nails the colors of the ace flag

Omnes et Nihil

Oh, and Ace Toronto put out a new zine that's appropriate for people who aren't yet familiar with asexuality... just in time for Asexual Awareness Week.

You can download it here: http://ace-toronto.tumblr.com/post/99272716046/hi-i-went-to-the-fair-yesterday-but-i-didnt-get-to

Sebastian Grace

Ace Toronto is putting on a series of public workshops that week in conjunction with the 3 universities (and 1 independently at a public library).

The university event that Onmes et Nihil mentioned is being held at the University of Toronto and is co-hosted by two college queer groups. Since I started university, I haven't heard of any campus events that are aimed at ace students, so this one is a small, yet hugely important step towards more space for aces on campus. I am on the executive of one of the planning groups so if you'd like to know more about the event or would like to receive a Facebook invitation, please PM me and I'll share some of the information.

Omnes et Nihil

The university event that Onmes et Nihil mentioned is being held at the University of Toronto and is co-hosted by two college queer groups. Since I started university, I haven't heard of any campus events that are aimed at ace students, so this one is a small, yet hugely important step towards more space for aces on campus. I am on the executive of one of the planning groups so if you'd like to know more about the event or would like to receive a Facebook invitation, please PM me and I'll share some of the information.

Actually, there are now 2 social events during asexual awareness week for aces, and both are apparently open to non-students (although will obviously focus on "student-aged" aces and questioning folks:

-- one at UofT (hosted by Woodsworth Inclusive & Rainbow Trinity):

Monday, Oct. 27th from 7-9pm in the Walters Lounge in Woodsworth College residence (321 Bloor St. W.)

https://www.facebook.com/events/722574697810287/

-- one is at York (hosted by TBLGAY, where they've asked for some Ace Toronto people to be present, to answer questions, etc.)

Tuesday, Oct. 28th from 5-6:30pm in the Student Centre, room 449A (4700 Keele St.)

this also invites anyone on the aromantic spectrum and/or questioning their a/romanticism

Below are the details for the public education workshops that are happening that I know about (so there's no confusion):

But you can also find the info on tumblr (ace-toronto.tumblr.com/workshops) AND facebook (https://www.facebook.com/events/570838256395307/)

1. Monday October 27 from 5-7pm (hosted by TBLGAY in co-operation with Ace Toronto)

York University Keele campus (4700 Keele St); room 449A Student Centre

campus map (building 23 section D6):

http://maps.info.yorku.ca/keele-campus/

2. Tuesday October 28 at 12:15 pm (hosted by Ace Toronto)

U of T Grad House, 66 Harbord Street

(for wheelchair ramp and elevator via 60 Harbord St— the adjoining building)

3. Thursday October 30 at 1:30pm (hosted by RyePride in co-operation with Ace Toronto)

Ryerson University Student Center 55 Gould Street

2nd Floor: Margaret Laurence Room

https://www.facebook.com/events/720052201411234/

4. Saturday, November 1 from 2:30-4:30 pm (hosted by Ace Toronto)

Farivew Library, 35 Fairview Mall Dr. (http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Nr=p_cat_branch_name:Fairview)

ASL interpretation is now confirmed.

Archived