Asexual Awareness Week (October 26th - November 1st)

Chewy

Mycroft is Yourcroft

It starts tomorrow everyone, I'm sure this'll be a great week for asexual Vis!

I'll be updating the AVEN social media regularly throughout the week with all sorts of asexy stuff, and I'm finally getting my asexual vlog off the ground!

I came out to my husband and a couple of close friends, but I bought one of these for AAW... although, I doubt it'll get here in time for it, since it's already started. I might wear it for a week after AAW to make my own AAW :P I love it, though. It's subtle and clever, just what I like. I think I'll put it on my purse as a "secret" symbol for anyone who gets it ;) Few people really look that closely at my brightly-colored purse, anyway.

asexual_pride_button-rb13c00187a9b4bb6bb

anotherjessica

I've come out to my two best friends via email (as one lives in different state and the other is in Singapore for a year on work experience). I plan to come out to my family and my other friends as well but need to mentally prepare myself. My original plan for coming out to my parents and brother was something explaining asexuality and aromanticism, but now I'm just going to say "I'm an aromantic asexual" and go from there... To my friends, I'm just going to say I'm an aromantic asexual on Facebook and mention it's Asexual Awareness Week.

I just posted a brief overview of asexuality on Facebook (complete with a link to AVEN), and updated my picture to the ace flag. I also mentioned "we" once or twice when talking about aces. I'm curious to see how this all is received, since I've only talked to a few of my friends about being ace.

I was also going to bake some cupcakes with white and purple frosting (I didn't see any black frosting :( ) for my DnD group tonight, but we had to cancel since one of the players dropped out, and 3 others had other plans for today. Maybe next week...

HermioneGranger

Happy Ace Week! I, too, changed my Facebook profile picture to the ace flag.

pandas and doom

Okay, so what I finally ended up organizing at my college is the following:

-I made flyers with information to place on the tables in the dining hall

-I hung some posters with ace quotes and info around campus

-I gave a presentation type dealio at my LGBTQ support group. Everyone was super supportive and it was awesome.

-The office of LGBTQ initiatives is planning on have a table set up at the dining hall with people to explain about asexuality and give out some flyers and pamphlets. (Although my friend who's an intern there needs to EMAIL ME BACK ALREADY. GAH.)

-On Thursday, I believe (also need to work this one out with the guy who hasn't emailed me back(!)), my LGBTQ group (and anyone else who wants to) is going to wear purple as a way of showing support and spreading awareness.

Anyway, feel free to message me if anyone wants any of the flyers and things I've made up.

I've only come out to like, four people... I did put that I'm ace in the little "about me" section on Facebook, but only because no one on earth reads that XD So maybe this is the week that I make it, like, completely official. Maybe. I'm kinda still in the mindset that it really isn't anyone else's business/I don't really want to be shoving my labels in people's faces.

HermioneGranger

One friend already messaged me on FB to say he hadn't recognized the ace flag so he googled it and read a little bit about asexuality, and thanked me for increasing his awareness. :wub:

I already came out to a few people that I'm comfortable with knowing (with mixed results). I don't think I'll be in your face about announcing my asexuality on FB, but I did 'like' some ace-related pages there and on Twitter. So people can see that I've done so...if they notice and wonder, well, ok then lol! I'm very sparse with my 'likes' on FB and such, so even doing something small like this is still big-ish for me. XD

Much cake to everyone planning (or already doing) something for AAW. : ) Even if it's something small.

Yummy+Cakes+Part+2+02.jpg

EmotionalAndroid

Today I am wearing black, grey, white, and purple! I'm planning on wearing another outfit with these colors on Wednesday.

I thought about putting up posters or something, but I am still closeted and a bit afraid of coming out in my current environment. A local LGBTQA group told me in an email they were doing something for "Asexual Awareness Day," but I don't know which day they are talking about, nor what the event is.

TheLastOfSheila

I updated my avatar on facebook for the week. It is similar to the one that I use here, except I put some text on it, 'A.A.W. Oct. 26 to Nov. 1'. I have not come out to anyone about my asexuality, so I am curious as to the responses I may, or may not, get. I wish I was younger and back at university again. I am so pleased to see younger Aces trying to educate and spread awareness! :)

Today I am wearing black, grey, white, and purple! I'm planning on wearing another outfit with these colors on Wednesday.

I have a lot of black, grey, white and purple clothes because they are my favorite colors. I'm going to see how many days this week and can keep up that color scheme before I run out of outfits. :D

Of course, I doubt anyone will notice. I wear purple a lot, even when I'm not trying to spread ace awareness.

EmotionalAndroid

Oh wow. I found that this week the local LGBQTA group is holding an asexual discussion group, but it is later in the evening. I carpool with my family, and I'd have to tell them why I want to stay late, but they don't know I am asexual. I am not sure if I want to come out yet, but I kind of want to go to the discussion group to meet other asexuals. I am a really bad liar and I don't like lying, anyway. Argh, what to do?! :wacko:

Oh wow. I found that this week the local LGBQTA group is holding an asexual discussion group, but it is later in the evening. I carpool with my family, and I'd have to tell them why I want to stay late, but they don't know I am asexual. I am not sure if I want to come out yet, but I kind of want to go to the discussion group to meet other asexuals. I am a really bad liar and I don't like lying, anyway. Argh, what to do?! :wacko:

That sounds really interesting! I hope you can find a way to go!

EmotionalAndroid

Yeah, I am kind of excited for it, since it might be my only chance to meet fellow asexuals in my area. Then again, I don't want to be deceptive to my family. I guess I need to sit down and think about priorities. Sacrifice meeting friends, or sacrifice my comfortable position in this closet?

I shared an awareness-raising post on fb and one of my friends also reposted it :)

I also built a little website which I've been using to come out to friends (I decided against posting it publicly on fb though). It includes info on the ace spectrum, different kinds of attraction and an FAQ on my asexuality specifically so I don't have to explain loads of times why I identify as ace but have had sexual relationships etc. One of my friends read all of it and thinks he might be demi, and thanked me for the info :D

Yeah, I am kind of excited for it, since it might be my only chance to meet fellow asexuals in my area. Then again, I don't want to be deceptive to my family. I guess I need to sit down and think about priorities. Sacrifice meeting friends, or sacrifice my comfortable position in this closet?

Is it possible to be vague but truthful with them? Maybe you could say something like "there's an event to get to know some people and make some new friends". Or maybe you could ask a friend for support and tell them "I'm going to an event with [name of friend]" without telling them exactly what it is.

(Of course, how well this would work depends on how likely is it that your family will ask for more details. I've had my own car for years, so even though I still live with my parents, my comings and goings don't really effect them too much and they aren't super concerned about where I'm going.)

One of my profs was wearing Ace colors today. I'm sure it was unintentional, but I complimented her on it after class anyway.

As for AAW, I'm considering changing my Facebook cover (I think that's what the thing at the top is called?) to the ace flag along with a status, but I'm kind of nervous about it. I doubt most people would care, but my mom and I have had weird debates surrounding sexuality in the past and I'm not really sure I'm prepared to fight with my mom about the legitimacy of my orientation.

I attended an event hosted by the Pride center last night. The event was Safe Zone Ally training, which in short means that you get a button and/or placard to display showing your support of the LGBT+ community and letting other students know that they can talk comfortably about those issues with you. Anyways, I'd seen the placards around for the past 3 years, and after going, I really wish I'd gone sooner. There was a ton of information about asexuality presented, and (presumably) not just because of AAW.

The Pride center was also hosting a discussion on the general topic of "sex" today that I was wanting to attend (bringing an ace perspective to sex should have had interesting results, I thought), but I had a lab that started about an hour before the event. I was hoping that today would be fairly brief, but to my disappointment, we stayed the entire 3 hours, listening to a lecture on incredibly dry material (that is, when we weren't sidetracked by pointless conversations and parentheticals).

On the bright side, the center has student volunteers to be panelist speakers to discuss their experience as LGBT+ at various events, and I've been talking to the staff about becoming a panelist and promoting asexuality. I'll probably go through the training tomorrow or Thursday, and I'm rather excited to potentially have the chance to spread awareness of our community. Plus, public speaking is always a good skill to practice. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have a chance to talk by the end of the week. Perhaps for next year's AAW.

I'm wearing the colors of the ace flag today ^_^

Not that anyone in my class will notice.

I'm in ace flag colors today as well. Much like you no one will notice, but I know.

EtA: I just realized that even my sunglasses match since they're purple!

Some here asked me why I didn't take it further etc with someone who was clearly interested in me. I said that I am not interested in hooking up and would rather read books. Meh that's ahout what I can do for now :p

I was thinking of writing something this week. I don't know if that means its time to work on my script for a potential ace series on youtube or just writing a short story about an asexual character.

I actually got to explain asexuality to my class last night :) I didn't plan on doing it either, the topic just came up. A couple people thought it was ridiculous, but those are also the people who thought lesbians should try being with guys just to make sure they really don't like them. However, everyone else actually seemed interested.

I came out to my mother this week, as well as posting this post on my blog, which helped explain how I found out about/determined that I am asexual. I also recently received my black ring from Amazon, and have been wearing it non-stop, as well as explaining it to anyone who stops long enough to ask.

TheLastOfSheila

I came out to my mother this week, as well as posting this post on my blog, which helped explain how I found out about/determined that I am asexual. I also recently received my black ring from Amazon, and have been wearing it non-stop, as well as explaining it to anyone who stops long enough to ask.

I read the post on your blog. You did an excellent job!

I came out to a few people irl, and my Instagram (shh, my life is enriched in all things social-media despite my love/hate relationship with it, this was a good first step). I also attended my first GSA meeting which happened to be focused on... you guessed it, Asexual Awareness Week. :D I think next on my list is coming out to a few family members. + My next sociology class' focus will be on sexuality, I'm hoping asexuality comes up (I mean it IS in the book....). I love a good debate.

Skipper Valvoline

On Sunday I was shopping for something purple to wear throughout the week and I came a cross a dress that was ALL Purple, White, Grey and Black!

I took pictures, but I can't upload them from my phone.

I wore it to my NHS Induction ceremony :) :cake: :aven:

TheLandsBeyond

I posted a video on my Youtube channel! It's a bit long, but you can watch it if you want.

Archived